• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
There should be an optional quest featuring HR Kirin, though I'm not sure if you need to unlock it (and how). It's 8* like the other optional elder dragons; have you done those quests?

Edit: I just remembered. You get the quest from one of the researchers in Astera, near the big tree. I believe the old, impatient wyverian at the table. So you may need to clear their other quests first for it to become available, much like LR Kirin required you to catch a handful of monsters for that biologist.

Yeah, it's probably the case. Had made a second character that I'm using now(and probably will stick with), so couldn't be bothered doing most of the sidequests again, just wanted to hit late game as fast as possible. Was farming up a third armor set for HBG, but probably should just knock out the side quests.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Rank 5 after 40 hours is...woah xD
Just progress in the story man. Don't farm for too many armor sets so early on. High rank means the monsters you fought til now get stronger, with better armor sets and then some monsters you couldn't encounter until now. You're basically doing what people are doing in high rank lol.

lol I was at Rank 11 @ 130 hours.
Rank 57 now @ 200 hours.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
..How though? I'm 111 at 280.

I'm at 29 and around 190hours. It's pretty easy when:

You farmed most low rank armors without realizing they would get invalidated
You're farming most high rank armor sets
You're working down 3 weapon trees as well and dabbling in a 4th before finishing the story
The gems/rubies WILL NOT DROP EVEN THOUGH I'VE KILLED THIS THING A DOZEN TIMES.
Randoms keep dying in MP
You take you're time when in solo hunts
People you know and team up with take forever to ready up
You spent way too much time trying to net that parrot in the Ancient Forrest

Probably other reasons along the way I've forgotten.

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017
Everybody says that. Even my squadmates kept telling me that my experience shooting him to death with my bow at LR was nothing compared to HR49. Went in my Anja Arch III and my crit element set, zero faints. He hit me maybe 5-6 times, mostly because the fight shifted from night to day and it was hard to see the pattern on the ground.
You are actually right, i went back to try again agains tempered kirin and he graced me once. I Guess I got better:)

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

You're working down 3 weapon trees as well and dabbling in a 4th before finishing the story
Randoms keep dying in MP

This fucking post right here, everything is right.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody here has any quests with vouchers that can help make quick money? Low on cash and building bow sets.

redrohX

Nov 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I more than doubled my money yesterday by selling all the trade-in items I've gotten in the last 100 hours or so. If you're low on money you should really only request trade-in items at the Argosy captain. This way you will essentially trade points for money. Just sell all the items at your item box.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
So CB really trivialises Nerg, huh? Easy farm if you're on flash duty in multi, too.

I lucked out and have had a Rath Ruby since early HR, but now the time has come to use it on my Dear Hecatelia I'm frozen because I will never get another one ever. Spike+ is hard enough.

Do the trade-in items ever become useful at the melder, or are they just for selling?

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
So last night, I read about non elemental weapons. So I'm confused about how that works for bows. Is it like every bow is non elemental until you use a free element jewel/ability to unlock the element? Or it has to not have ANY element type on it. Thinking of using elementless jewel lvl 2 and was confused on how that works.

Want to try a new build either than my blast build to see what else I can do.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
So last night, I read about non elemental weapons. So I'm confused about how that works for bows. Is it like every bow is non elemental until you use a free element jewel/ability to unlock the element? Or it has to not have ANY element type on it. Thinking of using elementless jewel lvl 2 and was confused on how that works.

It's based solely on what color the numbers are next to the elemental value of the weapon is. If it's white, you get the elemental added without anything further. If it's grey and in parenthesis, you need the skill to unlock it. Basically, if the bow has greyed out numbers, you can use a non-element gem to boost it's damage(why most recommend the Black Diablos bow even though it has greyed out ice value as it has the highest raw damage of bows).

Also keep in mind since we're talking bows, if you're in anyway going for an affinity build with it, you need the rath set bonus just to see any increase in damage from +affinity with elemental damage.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

No, many bows have an element already, some need to be unlocked. They are technically raw damage unless you unlock it, so they work well with decorations that boost elementless attacks.

This might help.

https://youtu.be/Bp7GjJsBWq4

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks guys for the help above. Guess there isnt a bow to rule all bows...lol. Time to sit down and decide. I just dont want to use the Diablo bow (yes it have it but I made it just for kicks...lol) and maybe get a bow with 10+ affinity already on it.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
How do people rank up in this game? I helped people kill Pukei Pukei so many times (5?) I completed the set (and I know I got the quest reward for 4 of those kills). Didnt rank up to HR 4 til I did my next mission. So I guess we have to do those story missions to gain rank?

I did just really start playing this weekend tho

Also tried using some gun but it ran out of bullets on me. No idea how to carry more ammo. So sticking to my sword

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Up until you finish the game your hunter rank is locked behind main story quests (those under the Assigned tab). Anything else is optional and won't progress your hunter rank until after you finish the game. Given how the armour sets worth you shouldn't bother farming lots at the 'low rank' stage - barrel through the main story as much as you can until high rank quests unlock. You can't miss anything either so don't worry about that.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
How do people rank up in this game? I helped people kill Pukei Pukei so many times (5?) I completed the set (and I know I got the quest reward for 4 of those kills). Didnt rank up to HR 4 til I did my next mission. So I guess we have to do those story missions to gain rank?

I did just really start playing this weekend tho

Also tried using some gun but it ran out of bullets on me. No idea how to carry more ammo. So sticking to my sword

Rank is tied to story progression unt you finish the story.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Count me in the ranks up slowly crowd.

I didn't know that there was rank points for one thing: I thought it was just tied to finishing certain quests.

Also:

a) this is my first MH and as I described above there was a significant learning curve for me, especially in low rank.
b) I'm playing entirely in single player (don't have PS+) so every difficulty bump is one I work through entirely by myself (I didn't come into MH threads until I was rank 51). That'd be a lot of monsters in LR; not too many in HR.
c) I grinded Anjanath in both LR and HR to get armor to help with Rathian/Rathalos. Similarly grinded Kulu Ya-ku and Legiana in both too.
d) the tempered grind seems pretty boring/worthless to me and I have done hardly any tempered hunts. I wish the monsters had new mechanics instead of being just another bump in how much they hurt and their health.
e) I filled out my research book instead of focusing on rank. I got the PhD trophy and the Elder slaying trophy on the same kill.
f) I afk a lot, look at gear sets a lot, etc.

Basically, I think it is a mix of priorities, inexperience, and just taking my time.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I have like 70 hours in and I'm still rank 11 or 12. I did a whole lot of optional stuff and investigations, etc.. honestly didn't even realize it wasn't going to level me up. I was just doing what I needed to get certain materials.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Finally arrived at rank 50. Not too proud though because tempered Kirin kicked my butt. Without an SOS and three helpers who did most of the work I might not have done it.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Trying to solo 'Flying Sparks: Tobi-Kadachi' (HR 4) and I'm getting destroyed.

Using the Jagras Blade 1. Should I be using a different weapon???

Normally I always fire an SOS to get help but it gets old having to need help for every single monster

yay it finally letting me join an online session maybe I can get some help now

-----

[edit] joined a group and we injured him. I get d/c'ed but was able to finish him thank goodness

Last edited:

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
So I was just complaining to my wife how wyvern gems are stupidly rare and it hasn't dropped in two days. Just when I was going to call it quits, Black Diablo drops four of them in one run...lol!

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
As this thread has grown a lot of the beginners have become pros. And you've given back so much. But there are so many who are not on Era that need help. Please join me in responding to SOS's that are 4 stars or lower.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As this thread has grown a lot of the beginners have become pros. And you've given back so much. But there are so many who are not on Era that need help. Please join me in responding to SOS's that are 4 stars or lower.
Yeah I've been doing Low Rank SOS's the past couple of hours for the fuck of it.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've been doing Low Rank SOS's the past couple of hours for the fuck of it.

I would love to do SOS but nobody wants to help me. Last time I tried to do it nobody wants to come in and help me kill nergigante. So I just solo by myself now. Nobody wants to play with me...

Wait till you get the quest/investigation that asks you to hunt two...

Haha, I saw that main line quest to kill 2x tempered versions of them and I said I'm not touching it until I get geared enough to fight both of them. I have yet to kill the non tempered version because I'm so afraid of its OP'ness. I need to finish my build first.

Last edited:

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Made it to HR 9 now thanks to yall advice (big jump from HR 4 yesterday). Just sticking to main quest and not farming any bosses or doing optional quests (I did help out out like 2 folks with their quests but that was it). Switched to using a bow cause keeping my distance feels safer. Had to fix my router settings. Even tho my PS4 claimed it was NAT 2 I was having connection issues with this game. So went ahead and forwarded the ps4 ports. This game works smooth as butter now. No more disconnects and it finds sessions asap

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Dual blade is so bad. Oh my horny honey the weapon is so useless. You cant attack the monster without getting hit back. There are literally no safe spots if you are using that weapon since the hitbox is so small you have to be very close to the monster if you wanna deliver some damage

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
Dual blade is so bad. Oh my horny honey the weapon is so useless. You cant attack the monster without getting hit back. There are literally no safe spots if you are using that weapon since the hitbox is so small you have to be very close to the monster if you wanna deliver some damage
At melee distance, dual blade's hitbox isn't really that much worse than the others, in terms of leading you into getting hit: As long as you're in the face of a monster, you're going to get hit more often than playing ranged, hence why, for balancing reasons, melee weapons grant "phys damage reduction", or in previous games, having armour sets with higher defence.

You're right that its hitbox is an issue when trying to hit weak points, however, that really isn't the case for most monsters, as they hang their head(common weakness) low. There are few that have weak points too high for dual blades, one example is Diablos. In any case, you should aim for the monster's legs, as many would recommend any dual blade users to do, not only would all your hits connect and that knocking the monster down will give you time to dance on the monster's weak point, but beneath the monster is generally very safe, very few attacks, like jumping stomp, will give you a tough time rolling out of harm's way.

What likely is causing you to get hit more often is that it has a few attacks that you can't cancel out of, and it's easy to get carried away since it's a mashy weapon. Aside from the aforementioned Evade Window and tools, you should also learn your buttons and combos, so you know which exact attack combo to use that would give you ample time to roll out at danger.

Dual blades are easy to get into, but difficult to play well.

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I figured I'd clear all my optional quests and hunt every available monster at least once before fighting Nergigante, only to fight Nergi (was surprisingly easy since I knew to watch out of the dive bomb) and realize I have to keep doing optionals and investigations. At least I collected every unknown footprint I came across so most of the investigations are half full.

Anyway, fighting Nergi was fun! He's got some cheap hitboxes but I liked the spike mechanics.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At melee distance, dual blade's hitbox isn't really that much worse than the others, in terms of leading you into getting hit: As long as you're in the face of a monster, you're going to get hit more often than playing ranged, hence why, for balancing reasons, melee weapons grant "phys damage reduction", or in previous games, having armour sets with higher defence.

You're right that its hitbox is an issue when trying to hit weak points, however, that really isn't the case for most monsters, as they hang their head(common weakness) low. There are few that have weak points too high for dual blades, one example is Diablos. In any case, you should aim for the monster's legs, as many would recommend any dual blade users to do, not only would all your hits connect and that knocking the monster down will give you time to dance on the monster's weak point, but beneath the monster is generally very safe, very few attacks, like jumping stomp, will give you a tough time rolling out of harm's way.

What likely is causing you to get hit more often is that it has a few attacks that you can't cancel out of, and it's easy to get carried away since it's a mashy weapon. Aside from the aforementioned Evade Window and tools, you should also learn your buttons and combos, so you know which exact attack combo to use that would give you ample time to roll out at danger.

Very well said. This is the first MH I've really gotten into, and the dual blades have been the only weapon I've played with for more than a mission or so.

Staying in demon mode as long as possible is the main goal with dual blades. There, you have access to the spinning blade attack, which seems to be the best way to do damage. spin -> triangle ->triangle -> spin and so forth. Only do the dancing blade move when the monster is immobilized.

Once you get the hang of it, it's super fun. Dual blades vs Odogaron is fun as all hell. The only time I have issue with the dual blades is when dealing with flying monsters and I'm out of flash pods. But even then, all the monsters I'v e dealt with eventually land.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
At least I collected every unknown footprint I came across so most of the investigations are half full.

If you want to speed up the process you can try to find (or maybe ask here for someone to) post an investigation for the three monsters for you. It will fill the bar automatically though I guess you won't experience the fight in single player first if that is your thing.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Well, use Evade Window then, it'll alleviate much of your problem.

Note it. After my 60th hours in, i have been using bowgun and insect glaive, i think it's time for me to expand to a new territory

And yes. Fighting tobi with dual blade is indeed wasting time, he is a mix of blood starved beast and paarl

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I finally beat Xeno over the weekend. I guess this is when the real game starts, huh?

Trying to grind out the Legiana Long Sword now ( I think I crashed last night with just one Legiana Claw+ needed for the Rarity 5 one).

Should I just be going through and clearing out all of my optional quests at this point?

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I finally beat Xeno over the weekend. I guess this is when the real game starts, huh?

Trying to grind out the Legiana Long Sword now ( I think I crashed last night with just one Legiana Claw+ needed for the Rarity 5 one).

Should I just be going through and clearing out all of my optional quests at this point?

Do investigations when you want to farm materials.

Doing optional stuff is good because it unlocks things like more mantles and extra food items for meal combinations. I think doing these are a good change of pace from grinding and also useful for clearing bounties such as "Do 3 missions in Coral High Lands" type stuff. If you're doing easier optional quests it isn't a bad time to try out new weapon types either.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

- Finish all quests that rewards Mantles/Booster, and if you haven't obtain them, the Palico Gadgets

- Work your way to HR29, where you get new Assignment to hunt two Tempered Bazelgeuse. Clearing this quest allow you to start farming Tier 2 Tempered Monster (Rathalos, Legiana, Odogaron, Uragaan, etc, ) for decoration farming. Then after you reach HR49, you will get Tempered Kirin Assignment quest, clearing it will allow you to farm Tier 3 Tempered Monster (All Elder Dragons sans Xeno/Zorah) to get Warrior/Hero Streamstone (you can get Warrior Streamstone from Tier 2 Tempered, but the chance are very small) that allows you to 'augment' fully upgraded weapon/armor further. Farming for decoration and warrior/hero streamstone for min/maxing is basically the end game of Monster Hunter.

- Finishing all non-tempered Optional Quests will gives you new Optional quest against Legiana, Odogaron, Diablos, Rathalos in Special Arena.

- Reaching HR100 will gives you new Optional Quest against Tempered Nergigante, Kushala and Teostra.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Do investigations when you want to farm materials.

Doing optional stuff is good because it unlocks things like more mantles and extra food items for meal combinations. I think doing these are a good change of pace from grinding and also useful for clearing bounties such as "Do 3 missions in Coral High Lands" type stuff. If you're doing easier optional quests it isn't a bad time to try out new weapon types either.

- Finish all quests that rewards Mantles/Booster, and if you haven't obtain them, the Palico Gadgets

- Work your way to HR29, where you get new Assignment to hunt two Tempered Bazelgeuse. Clearing this quest allow you to start farming Tier 2 Tempered Monster (Rathalos, Legiana, Odogaron, Uragaan, etc, ) for decoration farming. Then after you reach HR49, you will get Tempered Kirin Assignment quest, clearing it will allow you to farm Tier 3 Tempered Monster (All Elder Dragons sans Xeno/Zorah) to get Warrior/Hero Streamstone (you can get Warrior Streamstone from Tier 2 Tempered, but the chance are very small) that allows you to 'augment' fully upgraded weapon/armor further. Farming for decoration and warrior/hero streamstone for min/maxing is basically the end game of Monster Hunter.

- Finishing all non-tempered Optional Quests will gives you new Optional quest against Legiana, Odogaron, Diablos, Rathalos in Special Arena.

- Reaching HR100 will gives you new Optional Quest against Tempered Nergigante, Kushala and Teostra.

Thanks for the tips!

Oh, another question.

How do you unlock the normal Kirin quests? I have already seen electrified Fur on the ground, but when I investigate it doesn't actually
add any points to the bar.

I am guessing I need to finish some other quest first then something unlocks at the Ecologist?

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the tips!

Oh, another question.

How do you unlock the normal Kirin quests? I have already seen electrified Fur on the ground, but when I investigate it doesn't actually
add any points to the bar.

I am guessing I need to finish some other quest first then something unlocks at the Ecologist?

There is a chain of optional capture quests that ends with low rank Kirin. I think you pick the first one up from the biologist but I could be wrong. Once you have done them all, a lady by the botanist table will offer the Kirin quest.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
There is a chain of optional capture quests that ends with low rank Kirin. I think you pick the first one up from the biologist but I could be wrong. Once you have done them all, a lady by the botanist table will offer the Kirin quest.

Okay that would make sense. I think I stopped at the second one of those because some other monster came in and wrecked my target just as I was about to capture.
Gotta remember my dung pods.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Finished up the end of the story last night, Kush was probably the most annoying of the last 4 but none of them too much trouble. Not looking forward to tempered Teo though, so much going on.

Finally took on a Black Diablos too since I forgot about her. Still don't know how to effectively use screamer pods and she was just stuck in a loop of aggressively digging over and over, even after she moved areas. More annoying than any of the elders. Bless the CB.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Finally joined a group to kill the final boss. So I found out that if my team members die, I get less cash. Also, it's counts against your remaining lives overall. Ouch...

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you want to speed up the process you can try to find (or maybe ask here for someone to) post an investigation for the three monsters for you. It will fill the bar automatically though I guess you won't experience the fight in single player first if that is your thing.
Oh, I didn't know that. Awesome! I still some mats to farm so maybe I won't need it, but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

Randoms keep dying in MP

This was my experience til I hit high ranked at 60 hours lol. Then 45 more to beat the main story. But yeah... I don't exactly regret it, was a great experience.

Anyone up for some drunk ass hunting tonight? I'll be doing the level 49 quest, fighting the HR Kirin.

This might be my next Twitch gimmick, gotta get famous somehow!