• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Click left stick to view ammo types. Arrows pointing up indicate rapid fire. Blue arrow down indicates auto-reload.

Depends on what you want and what kind of weapon you use might change what skills you should prioritise. This is my general purpose set I used to farm other stuff. It works pretty on most enemies and Guts will help you survive stuff like Nergigante's dive. It is also pretty easy to break apart and fill in the gaps as you need for other skills.

Head: Bazel
Body: Rathalos
Gloves: Bazel
Hips: Bazel
Legs: Rathalos a

Will give you:
Guts (Bazel 3 piece) - Survive with 1HP when hit so long as your HP is above certain threshold (marked on HP bar)
Critical Element (Rath 2 piece) - Extra damage from elements when landing critical hits
Earplug x5 - Cancels all roars. Free hits.
Weakness Exploit x3 - Increases affinity (crit chance) when attacking monster's weak areas.

I just want to take a moment to emphasize how good Earplugs 5 is. That and Stun Resist are two of the biggest survivability buffs for early endgame(and Earplugs is a great damage buff too).

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I got pretty into it (Hunter Rank 51). I don't have PS+ so all single=player.

There was a learning curve :P. I still remember my first Great Jagras and early attempts at using the long sword. I thought either my spirit gauge or the blade dullness gauge were the Jagras's health. I thought R2 attack did more damage than triangle or circle and the thing was almost dead so I just was mashing it. And it wouldn't die. All my hits were bouncing off it. So I went sword and shield, then figured out I needed to sharpen things and made my way back to the long sword some missions later.

A lot of things were sort of like this. Didn't understand the difference between slinger ammo (acquired on site) and the ammo in your pouch for quite some time, for example and would try and use some of it on monsters despite not having a ranged weapon :P. Or, for another example, there was a time I thought that I used the capture net to capture the large monsters :P. The vast vast majority of my hunts are captures now so it is weird looking back on that.

I probably enjoyed the game structure in low rank the most. It was fun constantly encountering new creatures and going to new places. I liked the relatively frequent skill checks. I liked the feeling of growth and getting to know the game and there still being more to do.

I did like exploiting this new knowledge to get high rank up and running and killing the Elder Dragons for the first time with relatively weak gear was a rewarding challenge but the new grind to new content ratio wasn't as thrilling as in low rank. IDK. I wish they'd added new rooms or something to the old zones (yeah there are some, like the Vaal Hazak rooms in the Vale). Or there'd been more than one new zone. (Also, Bazelgeuse interrupts too many fights...)

But, as I said, I'm rank 51 and I did continue to grind after I finished the main quest. I was disappointed in the limited extent of structured post-game content but then some bad shit started going on in my personal life and the grind was a refuge. I knew how to do it. Hunting the monsters was fun. I sort of wanted some of the gear sets. And so I got into grinding it and am still engaged with it.

I've gotten to the point, however, where I pretty much have all the long swords I want and where I want to relive the learning experience with one of the other weapons. Don't really know the best way to go about that--do I start a new file? Do I just go through the optional missions, recreating my gear condition at the time and using appropriate versions of the new weapon? Do I just make really good versions and continue my post-game grind? IDK. It is something I need to think about.

Haven't really gotten into the tempered grind either--I'm always a bit disappointed with the elder melder and decoration drops and I just don't have many tempered investigation options yet despite having played a lot of the game. I wish there was more to do in expedition mode as I don't really need to gather or anything. I am looking for the last fish and other rare pets but there isn't really much to go on and actively pursue rather than stumble into. (And then you get better rewards doing investigations than just freeform hunting). So I'm mostly just grinding for gear material and research levels.

Perhaps the best part of this experience is that my cat has been in a very companionship seeking mood lately and so the vast majority of the game has been played with him at my side or in my lap as well as in my game (yes I took more time trying to get his avatar right than making my character :P). I really like seeing the game as his power fantasy and as the adventures as being our shared experience lol. IDK, he's tended to like watching videogames (and attacking the screen at times) but it'd been a while since he was so constantly seeking my company while I was playing them.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
And how do you get earplug? Monster's roar is getting annoying the more I dig deeper into the game especially while fighting rathalos. Damn, that dude is annoying compared to rathian

The three pieces of Bazel will give you maxed ear plugs. If you get an ear plug charm or decorations you can also start swapping stuff out as you need.

Last edited:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
And how do you get earplug? Monster's roar is getting annoying the more I dig deeper into the game especially while fighting rathalos. Damn, that dude is annoying compared to rathian

Before some armor like Bazel's or the charm/decorations your choice is grouping with/using a hunting horn with it I believe.

Man thought I was done with this game after beating the main story and giving up thanks to HR Kirin, but I still think about random things I want to do in it... Like Azure Rathlos Armor and more. Probably gonna switch weapons soon and try something like Heavy Bow Gun or Gun Lance next. Not having an actual group though is wearing on me, sadly all my friends waited for the PC release~

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Before some armor like Bazel's or the charm/decorations your choice is grouping with/using a hunting horn with it I believe.

This isn't always reliable though. Aside from HH being the least popular weapon, not all horns has that song and if for whatever reason you miss the song's buff you will be without until the horn user reapplied it. This is generally fine if you're speaking to them but otherwise they might be using their own buffs as an indicator of when their song expires. The song needs to be reapplied if you cart too. Bringing earplugs yourself is the surest way.

Lethal

Oct 27, 2017
I'm HR29. Anybody got any suggestions for a gunlance at this level? Currently using the Royal burst and earthshaker Magda. They're ok but wondering if I'm missing anything

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I hope Sergio's will come to World soon. He's one of my favorite monsters, both in battle and in looks, his armor and weapons are amazing as well.

You mean, you don't like his explosive cousin, Bazelgeuse ? Lol

I'm HR29. Anybody got any suggestions for a gunlance at this level? Currently using the Royal burst and earthshaker Magda. They're ok but wondering if I'm missing anything

Pretty sure both Royal Burst and Earthshaker are the best Gunlance simply because they are the only one with level 4 Shelling. Royal for Full Burst spam with the super strong combo and Earthshaker for Charged Shelling spam.

I never see random Gunlancer use any other Gunlance tbh, its always Royal Burst, and on very rare occasion, Earthshaker.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
Seregios is fighter while Bazelgeuse is bomber. Pretty sure the similarities between them is intentional ;)

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I stopped playing after hr 52, i have 0 patience to playing the same monsters over and over just for the gear, i want new monsters and new obstacles.

MiGi24

Jan 15, 2018
Hi! First time posting on ResetEra, been following a couple of topics including this one. New on MH (HR 4 atm), I've been loving the 16h hours I put into the game so far. Just got back into gaming 5 months ago after about 15 years off (last console was N64). There's so many game I want to play but this one will stick with me for a long time for sure. Ready for the grind!

Bow and Long sword user!

Add me - PSN id - MiGi2488

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Hi! First time posting on ResetEra, been following a couple of topics including this one. New on MH (HR 4 atm), I've been loving the 16h hours I put into the game so far. Just got back into gaming 5 months ago after about 15 years off (last console was N64). There's so many game I want to play but this one will stick with me for a long time for sure. Ready for the grind!

Bow and Long sword user!

Monster Hunter after a 15 year break? That's pretty ballsy.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

Bow and Long sword user!

Welcome back. You've missed so much.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
So I am confused on Blast L3 and Free Element L3. So my blast is more consistent when maxed and my free element now allows me for 100% dmg. My question is, my bow is Archer's Dance 3 and has a blast dmg of 270. But why is it only doing 120 max per blast to monsters? is there a way to do 200+ blast shot damage?

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
So I am confused on Blast L3 and Free Element L3. So my blast is more consistent when maxed and my free element now allows me for 100% dmg. My question is, my bow is Archer's Dance 3 and has a blast dmg of 270. But why is it only doing 120 max per blast to monsters? is there a way to do 200+ blast shot damage?

I'm not 100% on it but from my experimentation, I believe the numbers for all status effects refer to the build up rate, including the damaging ones. I almost always see 120 Blast and 20 for poison ticks but with different weapons in the same class I've gotten differing amounts of procs per hunt. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or oversimplified.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Farming Nergigante for the gem. Some asshole just cancelled the SOS flare with Nergigante almost dead, kicked everyone out. How much of a douche can you be?

Is this really that prevalent? I can't say I've encountered it and certainly don't want to.

Also, I wish more people farming elders brought bombs.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
High rank hunters are getting a little too cocky and dying unnecessarily, costing the hunt. You need to remember there's nothing wrong with diving out the way once in a while.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Is there a trick to completing the Proving Grounds event mission?
I'm HR 11 with a couple of pieces of higher level armour (I'm always low on money and time, so farming other monsters for money isn't happening often) and a 2nd level paralyzing charge blade. Anjanath still sweeps the floor with me. I've gotten him down to the skull icon once of many attempts, but usually all he needs to do is make me stumble and then go in for the kill.

I've previously farmed him earlier in the game for armour, so it's not like I'm unaware of his patterns, but this one is hell.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
So as I said above, I've been playing the game with the long sword and have gotten the swords I want (well the arena one would be cool but I haven't been doing that stuff. Nergigante's sword serves that purpose anyway and well) and am thinking about trying other weapons.

In particular, I'm thinking about the Great Sword, one of the lances, or one of the ranged weapons (maybe the bow? IDK haven't tried the bowguns in the training grounds at all). Do people have thoughts/recommendations about these weapons? Others?

Is there a trick to completing the Proving Grounds event mission?
I'm HR 11 with a couple of pieces of higher level armour (I'm always low on money and time, so farming other monsters for money isn't happening often) and a 2nd level paralyzing charge blade. Anjanath still sweeps the floor with me. I've gotten him down to the skull icon once of many attempts, but usually all he needs to do is make me stumble and then go in for the kill.

I've previously farmed him earlier in the game for armour, so it's not like I'm unaware of his patterns, but this one is hell.

Is this your first HR Anjanath? The Kulu gear has that helmet with some fire resistance. Or you could use low rank materials to make a fire (or defense) charm.

Also just try being extra cautious of his behaviors, perhaps. Jumping back into it in high rank after farming it in low rank could have messed with your expectations of what was safe/not-safe. With his enraged mode this could be a particular problem with Anjanath.

Last edited:

lazzlyb

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
I'm not sure if it's common knowledge, but I recently found out that you do not actually need a PlayStation Plus subscription to play games (in this case Monster Hunter World) online on a PS4. It is enough that one person has PS+ and has marked the PS4 as a primary console, and anyone can play games online on that console! This was a complete surprise, as it always just says something like "PS+ needed for online content", which to be fair is technically true as you do need one subscription, but they fail to mention that you do not actually need a personal subscription.

There is a story to how we happened to notice this. A while back me and two friends decided to start playing Monster Hunter World together, no-one of us had previously played any games in the series, but it sounded like a game we all would enjoy, and obviously we were right. All of us had PS+ subscriptions from before, so it wasn't such a big investment either. My girlfriend was also vaguely interested in trying out the game, but she would also have liked to play online with friends and wasn't keen on paying for a PS+ subscription, so she eventually ended up not playing.

A couple of day ago, however, she decided she wants to try out the game anyway, even though (we thought) she could only play offline. We played like half a day in a row, doing different quests and me mostly trying to teach her some things I had learned so far. Then one of our friends (one of the ones I mentioned earlier) happened to come online and without thinking just sent an invite to his online session to my girlfriend. We decided to try what would happen if we just tried joining (basically I was interested in knowing at what point the game would give an error saying PS+ is required), but suddenly she was in a quest with our friend, playing online multiplayer without a PS+ subscription!

My first thought was that I must have misread that you need PS+ to play online, but with a quick googling I found out that you do in fact need it (all sites that I bothered to open had a question "Do you need PS+ to play Monster Hunter World online?" with a short answer "Yes."). Then the only thing I could think of was that it must be something connected to my PS+ and playing on my primary PS4, and what do know, it says on PlayStation's official site that "One PlayStation Plus membership allows all local accounts on the subscriber's 'Primary PS4' to play online through their SEN accounts."!

We also told another couple about this, and one day later they had bought Monster Hunter World and a PS+ subscription on one of their accounts! They had also been interested in the game earlier, but didn't think it was worth the money to buy the game and two PS+ subscriptions to be able to enjoy it to its full extent, but now they got it at least a little bit cheaper. Now our little squad has gone from three members to six in a matter of days! :)

I'm not really sure if I should be mad about not knowing about this earlier or glad that Sony has made a good choice allowing families to play online with only one subscription, but at the very least I am glad that everything turned out better than I would have thought!

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share my story in case there are others who have been unaware of this. :)

OP
OP
Laughing Banana
Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Is it arseholish to use time joining other people's investigations to familiarize yourself with a new weapon? I guess it is, hahah, felt kinda bad honestly when I am doing this a couple of times joining other people's investigations, though I am not dying at the very least.

Probably should just use Great Jagras or something to practice.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Is it arseholish to use time joining other people's investigations to familiarize yourself with a new weapon? I guess it is, hahah, felt kinda bad honestly when I am doing this a couple of times joining other people's investigations, though I am not dying at the very least.

Probably should just use Great Jagras or something to practice.
I've been hunting tempered low level monsters (Pukei-Pukei, Tobi, Barroth, etc) to practice with weapons. Feels like the right balance between low difficulty movesets and relatively high damage to keep you on edge.

Shortt Sirket

Oct 26, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
So I just finally "beat" the game last night and I haven't touched any of the Arena quests at all. Should I? Is there any benefit to it? I just don't like being forced to use weapons I don't know and I am curious if I should just deal with it for some legit rewards. Suggestions?

Murkas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I just finally "beat" the game last night and I haven't touched any of the Arena quests at all. Should I? Is there any benefit to it? I just don't like being forced to use weapons I don't know and I am curious if I should just deal with it for some legit rewards. Suggestions?

Completing all the Arena quests unlocks a helmet. You also get coins beating Arena quests that you can use to make weapons and some Arena weapons are pretty powerful end game ones (Longsword I know being one).

It's also pretty fun pairing up with a friend and trying to get an A rank.

Shortt Sirket

Oct 26, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
Completing all the Arena quests unlocks a helmet. You also get coins beating Arena quests that you can use to make weapons and some Arena weapons are pretty powerful end game ones (Longsword I know being one).

It's also pretty fun pairing up with a friend and trying to get an A rank.

I don't have any friends really who play, so I have done the entire game solo. I play Charge Blade, so I will have to find a list of the rewards and see if it is worth it.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
How does poison on swords work in the game? I crafted the poisonous Wyvernblade "Holly" and played with it quite a bit, but I never noticed any lingering poison effects I inflicted on monsters. When I trigger a poisoncup plant and a monster steps in it you can see the effect on the monster and damage numbers pop even when you're not attacking. I was hoping for a similar effect with the sword but I haven't noticed anything yet. Is the poison damage added to the strikes themselves?

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
How does poison on swords work in the game? I crafted the poisonous Wyvernblade "Holly" and played with it quite a bit, but I never noticed any lingering poison effects I inflicted on monsters. When I trigger a poisoncup plant and a monster steps in it you can see the effect on the monster and damage numbers pop even when you're not attacking. I was hoping for a similar effect with the sword but I haven't noticed anything yet. Is the poison damage added to the strikes themselves?
My poison hammer gives the poison effect after a couple of strikes. The damage over time and the purple drool. I don't use it for the poison effect tho, so I don't check how often it happens. It just happens to be my hardest hitting hammer atm :D

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017

Basically status effects have a hidden bar that you fill up every time you hit them with the status effect, and it triggers when that invisible bar is full. So depending upon your weapon, that might be a few hits or many hits. I find poison very hard to notice a lot of time on monsters though...

Jan 10, 2018
In HR, is there some way to level low tier armor into high level tier in order to get a better defence stat? I want to use the Tobi waist piece for my thunder build but the defence is so low. :/

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
In HR, is there some way to level low tier armor into high level tier in order to get a better defence stat? I want to use the Tobi waist piece for my thunder build but the defence is so low. :/
No, it'll only go so far. You can fight him super early in HR though so there's nothing to stop you from crafting the HR version once you have the materials you need.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017

Nope, you have to get HR materials from HR monsters to get the HR armor pieces. That would have been cool though!

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Nope, you have to get HR materials from HR monsters to get the HR armor pieces. That would have been cool though!
In Monster Hunter 3 you actually could upgrade the low rank armors to have high rank defense. the high rank versions had different skills and more slots, so whether it was worth doing could vary.

Jan 10, 2018
No, it'll only go so far. You can fight him super early in HR though so there's nothing to stop you from crafting the HR version once you have the materials you need.

Oh sorry, I think I phrased it wrong. I meant within the HR category, the early amor and the late armor and their respective differences in defense. Is there some way to make them have the same high defense stats when both are maxed out?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Oh sorry, I think I phrased it wrong. I meant within the HR category, the early amor and the late armor and their respective differences in defense. Is there some way to make them have the same high defense stats when both are maxed out?
You can boost the early HR stuff to have pretty high DEF, but you'll want the skills on the late HR stuff.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I still consider myself absolutely a beginner with MHW.

I've gotten to the point where I've beaten Anjanath in the main campaign and can repeatedly (though not always) beat him by doing One Helluva Sinus Infection alone.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I still consider myself absolutely a beginner with MHW.

I've gotten to the point where I've beaten Anjanath in the main campaign and can repeatedly (though not always) beat him by doing One Helluva Sinus Infection alone.

To make you feel any better, even after 200 hours Anjan remains a pain to kill.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Trapped in a corner behind a tornado, getting chipped to death by wind gusts...

Getting knocked back into a stunned animation after an attack due to a wind barrier then getting hit...

Getting carted because that hit knocked me into another tornado which caused me to get blown around unable to block or dodge...

I am not a fan on Kushala Daora.

Also I forgot you aren't supposed to go in the water at the bottom of the Vale. Can't really blame Vaal for that damage. Blaming Kushala instead, because I really don't like Kushala.