• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I SOS farmed Odogaron materials to craft the HR armour set. Getting a gem was a PITA.

I went with Odogaron dual blades but as mobile as dual blades are their high damaging moves are quite stationary. I might try the Odogaron insect glaive to go along with the armour set bonus.

To be honest I like the insect glaive. It's insane mobility is fun against big enemies or those that fly. Setting up the insect buffs can be a little frustrating so I guess that turns some off.

I've noticed a lot of people online especially from Japan seem to be using what I believe is the bow. Or it might be one of the other ranged weapons. I think it's bow as they often do that attack where what looks to be rocks drop from the sky to stun the enemy.

allintospace

Oct 27, 2017
I've hit a wall with the quest assignment Old World Monster in the New World. I'm struggling to defeat the Pink Rathian in solo and I've never found an existing SOS I can join. When I fire my own SOS... no one responds. Why is this assignment so non existent in co-op?

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Flash pods help a lot against flying monsters. Take some flash bugs too, so you can craft more.
Insect glaive makes rathian/rathalos variants pretty easy too.
Eat before the mission and make sure your armour is upgraded. Bring some herbal meds to heal poison. Pink rathian shouldn't be too hard. Capture her at the end to avoid the enraged final stage of the fight.
What weapon are you using?

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I've hit a wall with the quest assignment Old World Monster in the New World. I'm struggling to defeat the Pink Rathian in solo and I've never found an existing SOS I can join. When I fire my own SOS... no one responds. Why is this assignment so non existent in co-op?

what system are you playing on?

If it's xbox one/S/X you have 2 options:

One is the guide button all the way left click your profile and make sure it says appear online

The other is in settings -- account -- privacy and online safety
If you default to adult it's good but if you need to customize go to online status and history and make sure everybody can see you online

as quoted by : theheape

rulerk1

Nov 14, 2017
So i got wrecked trying to kill Darkbeast Squirrel before i remembered you can counter pick armors to help and i saw i had horrible thunder resistance. The Barroth armor seems good so i guess just have farm Barroth parts until i get what i need. Would a full armor set be best also should i just go ahead and make every armor set that i can now?

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
So i got wrecked trying to kill Darkbeast Squirrel before i remembered you can counter pick armors to help and i saw i had horrible thunder resistance. The Barroth armor seems good so i guess just have farm Barroth parts until i get what i need. Would a full armor set be best also should i just go ahead and make every armor set that i can now?
Making every armor set as you unlock them will drive you crazy, just make the ones you think you'll make use of. Barroth is pretty good for early low rank quests though, I recommend making it.

If a monster is giving you trouble with elemental damage, remember that you can eat for elemental resistance on top of wearing resistant armor.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Bring nullberries to cure thunderblight if you haven't already. Getting hit by his charged attack when you're blighted will probably kill you in one hit.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Making every armor set as you unlock them will drive you crazy, just make the ones you think you'll make use of. Barroth is pretty good for early low rank quests though, I recommend making it.

If a monster is giving you trouble with elemental damage, remember that you can eat for elemental resistance on top of wearing resistant armor.

Aw man. I'm totally trying to make all the armor sets. :(

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
If a monster is strong against a certain element, what kind of weapon would be better to bring...

A weapon that does 434 damage and 200 thunder damage or a weapon that just does 434 damage?

I know this is probably a dumb question but I'm wondering if maybe weapons with elements split their damage sort of like the souls games. So it could potentially be worse for you if you bring a weapon with an element that a monster is resistant to? Or is it just straight up better because it does the same amount of base damage and a reduced amount of elemental damage but still some extra elemental damage regardless?

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Aw man. I'm totally trying to make all the armor sets. :(
Making all HR armors is fun, but don't waste your time making ALL the low rank versions. I made a bunch of LR armors (Pukei, Kadachi, Anja, Lumu and Legiana) and had great fun doing it, and didn't feel that I wasted any time since I basically got the mats just from helping the people I play with and doing all the optional quests. Making all of them would have felt terrible when the HR armors were unlocked. :D
So burn through LR, then go bananas on the armor crafting!

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
If a monster is strong against a certain element, what kind of weapon would be better to bring...

A weapon that does 434 damage and 200 thunder damage or a weapon that just does 434 damage?

I know this is probably a dumb question but I'm wondering if maybe weapons with elements split their damage sort of like the souls games. So it could potentially be worse for you if you bring a weapon with an element that a monster is resistant to? Or is it just straight up better because it does the same amount of base damage and a reduced amount of elemental damage but still some extra elemental damage regardless?

Elemental damage is completely seperate to the weapons attack damage. So if your best weapon also has elemental damage you should always use that because at the very worst the elemental damage won't do anything.

Elemental damage is a prod based system though, which isn't adjusted for weapon speed that much, so generally you want a really fast hitting weapon to make it useful (dual blades, longsword and shield, insect glaive).

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Elemental damage is completely seperate to the weapons attack damage. So if your best weapon also has elemental damage you should always use that because at the very worst the elemental damage won't do anything.

Elemental damage is a prod based system though, which isn't adjusted for weapon speed that much, so generally you want a really fast hitting weapon to make it useful (dual blades, longsword and shield, insect glaive).
Mmm okay, thanks! I'm using the insect glaive with Tobi-Kadachi's weapon/armor set. I think I've noticed the thunder damage proc a few times like you're describing. I have to fight Kirin next so I just wanted to make sure there was nothing like redirected damage or split damage on elemental effects.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Elemental damage always procs. The number is raw + element combined.
You might be getting confused with critical or status proc'ing.
Status damage has a 30% proc rate.

allintospace

Oct 27, 2017
Flash pods help a lot against flying monsters. Take some flash bugs too, so you can craft more.
Insect glaive makes rathian/rathalos variants pretty easy too.
Eat before the mission and make sure your armour is upgraded. Bring some herbal meds to heal poison. Pink rathian shouldn't be too hard. Capture her at the end to avoid the enraged final stage of the fight.
What weapon are you using?

It took a good few attempts but I managed to get SOS help in the end and soon completed the quest. Thanks though.

Jan 10, 2018
So what's the most effective way of gathering rare materials? I'm looking for a Legiana gem and I just cross my fingers that a good investigation will make it pop. But maybe I'm doing this the wrong way?

Vegeto

Oct 26, 2017
Frankfurt
Just finished the game! Amazing game, never would have expected this. It was my first Monster Hunter and it exceeded my expectations by far. Time was passing sometimes and I did not even notice. Especially the SOS system and the multiplayer was so much fun. Fighting alone can be boring sometimes, so fightning in a team was really exciting. Although I have to admit with the 3 elders and the final boss remaining, I reached a point where I felt like to be happy when it is finally over. Especially the last boss was a drag ... however killed him with my second try. I hope there will be some awesome DLC in the future.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
So what's the most effective way of gathering rare materials? I'm looking for a Legiana gem and I just cross my fingers that a good investigation will make it pop. But maybe I'm doing this the wrong way?
Investigations with gold rewards.
Yeah...
I9OFaoP.png

Taken from this video, listing the official drop rates for most of the rare stuff.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Making all HR armors is fun, but don't waste your time making ALL the low rank versions. I made a bunch of LR armors (Pukei, Kadachi, Anja, Lumu and Legiana) and had great fun doing it, and didn't feel that I wasted any time since I basically got the mats just from helping the people I play with and doing all the optional quests. Making all of them would have felt terrible when the HR armors were unlocked. :D
So burn through LR, then go bananas on the armor crafting!

Ok-so how long does it take to get to HR?

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Depends on how fast you play through the story ;)
I don't remember the exact Hunter Rank but it's around 11-12 I think, that you get into HR. I bet someone else in the thread can correct me. During the story (that continues into hight rank) your Hunter Rank is based on how many story hunt missions you have done. So every time you do a big mission, you level up one rank.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
So, if the Horizon event ends in a few days and I have the all the materials after it ends (lacking the Anjanath Gem as of now) do I have to wait until the event becomes available once again or I can buy the full set after?

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

Like Spyware said. Depends how quick you move through the story. The meat of the game is HR and beyond. Go at your own pace though, but the advice of not spending too long farming everything from the start is sound. I did that and did not hit HR til like hour 40 lol, when in retrospect is a solid 20 hours maybe playing conservative and doing all missions as they become available and farming.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
So, if the Horizon event ends in a few days and I have the all the materials after it ends (lacking the Anjanath Gem as of now) do I have to wait until the event becomes available once again or I can buy the full set after?
You can buy the full set at any time, the Nora Brave Commendations (or whatever they're called) simply stay in your inventory until you use them.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Like Spyware said. Depends how quick you move through the story. The meat of the game is HR and beyond. Go at your own pace though, but the advice of not spending too long farming everything from the start is sound. I did that and did not hit HR til like hour 40 lol, when in retrospect is a solid 20 hours maybe playing conservative and doing all missions as they become available and farming.

Damn now i feel like I've been doing this all wrong. What a waste!

I've just been trying to power through the main quests today but I feel like I get stuck needing certain weapons that do elemental damage so I need to grind.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Anjanath Gem is carve only I believe?
You can get gems and plates directly from carving (only in case of the tail I think? Since the head doesn't break off, so to speak), from the Bonus Rewards and from the Special Investigation rewards.

The bonus rewards are basically how well you performed during the fight: what parts you broke and if you captured the monster or not. The gem doesn't always drop, mostly you just get the normal reward for it (a hide, scale or what have you) but sometimes you get lucky and you get a gem (or plate on low rank).

For example, this is what I got from a Legiana hunt yesterday:

legianagemskas6u.jpg

So as you can see I broke its tail and that got a gem to show up in the bonus rewards. I'm not sure, but I think the gem beside it was from breaking its head (which, looking at the loot table above, makes me think I got insanely lucky with these drops).

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden

I've just been trying to power through the main quests today but I feel like I get stuck needing certain weapons that do elemental damage so I need to grind.
Weapons are not a waste to upgrade thankfully. HR just adds more levels to the weapons you can already make, instead of giving you a completely different HR version like the armors do. So spend time upgrading the weapons to levels that feel good or max, and make a couple of LR armor sets that you upgrade with Armor Spheres (you get those mostly from investigations) to max so that you can survive LR and then early HR too. Don't feel that playing LR "too much" was a waste tho, it's always good to just be playing a lot to become a better player!

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Weapons are not a waste to upgrade thankfully. HR just adds more levels to the weapons you can already make, instead of giving you a completely different HR version like the armors do. So spend time upgrading the weapons to levels that feel good or max, and make a couple of LR armor sets that you upgrade with Armor Spheres (you get those mostly from investigations) to max so that you can survive LR and then early HR too. Don't feel that playing LR "too much" was a waste tho, it's always good to just be playing a lot to become a better player!

thanks! Makes me feel better. Now I need to go kill a Rathalos.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah weapons are good, because their trees build on previous ones, so you do need the low rank version to get to the higher ranked version of a weapon. With armor though you need the high rank version only. My advice on low rank armor is upgrade gradually but don't rack your brain on it too hard. Particularly near the end of low rank (rathlos and what not) because you move on and then you REALLY need to upgrade armor lol. Where as before it was more an issue of learning fights and having items.

I farmed rathlos at the very end of LR because I wanted the armor, moved into HR soon after and it was quickly outclassed.

ShadowkillXNA

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So when are expeditions available ? I just did the jagras quest and am in astera.
Also when does the world map become available ?

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Counterpicking armor for resistances is fine if you can afford it, but don't forget that you can also eat food for Elemental Resist L before heading out to fight.

So when are expeditions available ? I just did the jagras quest and am in astera.
Also when does the world map become available ?
Just keep going with the game. It'll all unlock fairly soon.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
So I farmed and made myself the Pandemonium Root hammer, since I used the Ragefire Magda Floga for pretty much all of HR and wanted to try something new.

I miss the blast effect already. The Diablos Nero armor also gives me a buff if my sharpening goes down, so this hammer with blue sharpness doesn't benefit from it.

I need a new hammer but I feel like nothing beats the Ragefire.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone help me with taking out a Diablos? Been stuck on it forever rookie over here and cant do it alone :(

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
So I farmed and made myself the Pandemonium Root hammer, since I used the Ragefire Magda Floga for pretty much all of HR and wanted to try something new.

I miss the blast effect already. The Diablos Nero armor also gives me a buff if my sharpening goes down, so this hammer with blue sharpness doesn't benefit from it.

I need a new hammer but I feel like nothing beats the Ragefire.
Magda Floga is such a great weapon. I've been using it and its upgrade ever since I started HR and I haven't bothered forging another hammer. Maybe I will forge Daora's and Vaal's hammers at some point, but I think I'm just going to end up going back to Magda Floga anyway.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Is there any recommended armor for Elder Recess area? I'm looking for Nergigante's track and i'm torn to choose the right armor. Im wearing aloy set, but i dont think it will last long

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Question: Is there a way to tell when you're crafting a bowgun which ammo types it will have quick reload or rapid fire on? Right now it's kinda a trial and error process for learning each bowgun for me.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
I SOS farmed Odogaron materials to craft the HR armour set. Getting a gem was a PITA.

I went with Odogaron dual blades but as mobile as dual blades are their high damaging moves are quite stationary. I might try the Odogaron insect glaive to go along with the armour set bonus.

To be honest I like the insect glaive. It's insane mobility is fun against big enemies or those that fly. Setting up the insect buffs can be a little frustrating so I guess that turns some off.

I've noticed a lot of people online especially from Japan seem to be using what I believe is the bow. Or it might be one of the other ranged weapons. I think it's bow as they often do that attack where what looks to be rocks drop from the sky to stun the enemy.

Odogaron armor and its weapons are really good if you build right for them, but I wouldn't use them together. It's pretty overkill. All that white sharpness will last forever so Protective Polish and Speed Sharpening are kinda redundant. His armor is best paired with something like a Legiana or Xeno weapon(or one you just barely get to white with Handicraft) so that you turn a small amount of white or blue into a near perma 10% damage boost. Conversely if you want to use the weapon, going with a lot of attack/damage boosts is good since they have low raw damage.

Is there any recommended armor for Elder Recess area? I'm looking for Nergigante's track and i'm torn to choose the right armor. Im wearing aloy set, but i dont think it will last long

Aloy's armor is quite underwhelming IMO. Odogaron and Rathalos are good overall sets(if you avoid the fire attack), and Legiana is good if you're a bow user. Upgraded Leg/Odo with Dober chest got me through the end game quite easily. I felt much stronger than the enemies were tuned for(I only took one attempt to solo all the enemies after Nerg, partly due to getting Powertalon/Armortalon and partly due to my armor...... upgrade your armor!).

Last edited:

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Question: Is there a way to tell when you're crafting a bowgun which ammo types it will have quick reload or rapid fire on? Right now it's kinda a trial and error process for learning each bowgun for me.

Click left stick to view ammo types. Arrows pointing up indicate rapid fire. Blue arrow down indicates auto-reload.

Depends on what you want and what kind of weapon you use might change what skills you should prioritise. This is my general purpose set I used to farm other stuff. It works pretty on most enemies and Guts will help you survive stuff like Nergigante's dive. It is also pretty easy to break apart and fill in the gaps as you need for other skills.

Head: Bazel
Body: Rathalos
Gloves: Bazel
Hips: Bazel
Legs: Rathalos a

Will give you:
Guts (Bazel 3 piece) - Survive with 1HP when hit so long as your HP is above certain threshold (marked on HP bar)
Critical Element (Rath 2 piece) - Extra damage from elements when landing critical hits
Earplug x5 - Cancels all roars. Free hits.
Weakness Exploit x3 - Increases affinity (crit chance) when attacking monster's weak areas.

Last edited: