• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Damn, I really need to stop getting over-confidant when I play multiplayer, no issues solo but I get carried away and die way too often.
The difference is pretty significant. In the previous games you would take missions from the gathering hall and they would be adjusted to multiplayer even when playing solo. This made it a lot more difficult and challenging but it was also where the meat of the quests are outside of investigation type stuff. This meant that you could actually practice against these type of fights solo.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
How goes it everyone. Just started playing today, I've played lots of other hunting games (Toukiden, God Eater, Soul Sacrifice etc) but the only Monster Hunter title I've ever played was the PS2 game because I couldn't deal with the controls on handheld and I didn't own a Wii-U.

So far I'm a big fan it but I'm having a tough time figuring out which weapons suit me the most. I think so far I'm leaning towards either Lance or Gunlance but on GL I'm having a bit tougher a time figuring out the right times to use shells, Wyrmfire and the wyrmstake. I think I lean a bit more into Gunlance then than I do Lance but it seems like Gunlance has to be sharpened way more then many of the other weapons.

I like the hammer also but I wish the hammers were a little bit larger then they are in terms of length.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Has a chance to stop Elder Dragon class monsters from doing their "rage mode/signature" attack. Believe it takes them out of that mode for a short time.

Well, they're supposed to suppress Elder Dragon's various auras and moves such as thinning out Kushala's wind armor and tornadoes, canceling out Taostra's fire aura, suppressing the effluvial spread of Vaal, and cancelling out Kirin's super armor.

That's their supposed job anyways, but in practice the effect is kind of negligible, especially if you are playing with other people and they're not using Elderseal weapon too, in that case your Elderseal might as well be zero.

Thanks. Is it worth to invest on a Elderseal weapon then?

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
The difference is pretty significant. In the previous games you would take missions from the gathering hall and they would be adjusted to multiplayer even when playing solo. This made it a lot more difficult and challenging but it was also where the meat of the quests are outside of investigation type stuff. This meant that you could actually practice against these type of fights solo.

It's not really the difficulty of the fights, it's me getting my health down to a certain level where solo I'd start to play defensively and heal, but for some reason in multiplayer I think "Fuck it, I'll keep going!".

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

Maybe?

I play Hunting Horn so I never got the chance to notice any real effects from Elder Seal on the one charge blade weapon I had before changing. They also drop Dragon Pod's when breaking parts if I remember right, which have the same chance effect.

Rubytux

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
Finally i was able to defeat it. It took some help from the Rathalos but my mistake was that i wasnt sharpening the blade. Thats why i made so little damage.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017

The only ones I find it useful against are Teostra and Kushala, pretty sure it stops the constant damage and annoying knockbacks respectively. Kirin I just spam jump attacks to mount, though I also use Switch Axe and Sword mode doesn't bounce of it's lighting bullshit, and I think Vaal is better dealt with using Miasma resist.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Arekkz video explaining Elderseal

Damn, I really need to stop getting over-confidant when I play multiplayer, no issues solo but I get carried away and die way too often.

Just play cautious. I'm not saying hang back and don't go in but if you take your couple hits and back off to be ready to dodge, it is far better than running in and mashing buttons until you get caught.

OP
OP
Laughing Banana
Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia

Depends, if you're generally playing multiplayer, not really, if solo, maybe? I wouldn't make Elderseal your primary motivator of choosing a weapon over stuff like elemental damage or raw damage, for example. Weapons with Elderseal all have dragon damage so they're good against peeps like Vaal or Kushala, but I wouldn't bother bringing them when fighting against Taostra or Kirin, for example, I'd rather bring Ice and Fire weapons respectively for them.

Coiote

Oct 25, 2017
I had two artillery decos last week. I thought to myself: fuck it, the game is saying that I should make a charge blade or a gunlance build. I farmed and farmed for my new set and weapon until I got everything I needed today, but when I was setting up up the decorations, my artillery decos were nowhere to be found. Fuck my life, I guess I melded them before going to sleep(my sleep pills make me drunk).

This is so frustrating, like I was not already getting a burnout by decoration/augmentation farming. The endgame currently sucks.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I had two artillery decos last week. I thought to myself: fuck it, the game is saying that I should make a charge blade or a gunlance build. I farmed and farmed for my new set and weapon until I got everything I needed today, but when I was setting up up the decorations, my artillery decos were nowhere to be found. Fuck my life, I guess I melded them before going to sleep(my sleep pills make me drunk).

This is so frustrating, like I was not already getting a burnout by decoration/augmentation farming. The endgame currently sucks.

I was obsessed with this game for weeks but once I got to the "now that you have access to all the gear, you need to grind decorations and they're totally random*" I got burnt out something hard. Still playing here and there but I'm trying new weapons or grinding for new pieces of gear. I'm not interested in the RNG grind.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
What's the purpose of this quest? I mean why does it have to be an event quest while it can just be any personal expedition quest?

I gives ticket to craft Wiggler head as a reward.

Monster_Hunter_World_20180302204302.jpg

Coiote

Oct 25, 2017
I was obsessed with this game for weeks but once I got to the "now that you have access to all the gear, you need to grind decorations and they're totally random*" I got burnt out something hard. Still playing here and there but I'm trying new weapons or grinding for new pieces of gear. I'm not interested in the RNG grind.

This is what I am trying to do and even so it's still kind of uninspiring. When I look into a new weapon, I am not surprised anymore to see a elementless diablos build variant outperforming everything else.

I guess I will have to stop playing soon, or not even the inevitable E3 expansion will be enough to bring me back.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The Horizon quest is only up for a few more days, right?
It's not very time consuming I hope.

I just finished the Diablos fight in the story last night and wanted to try and unlock that gear over this weekend.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017

I just finished the Diablos fight in the story last night and wanted to try and unlock that gear over this weekend.

It's just a fight against a large anjanath. You'll need to do it a handful of times if you want the bow and gear though

Last edited:

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017

You still have the time. It's up until march 15th. You technically have to beat it for four times. The rest requirements are easy

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
You still have the time. It's up until march 15th. You technically have to beat it for four times. The rest requirements are easy
That just unlocks the armor, though. The bow and its upgrade cost 5 more tickets.

So you need 9 tickets in total but the good news is you can get two per hunt. It's not guaranteed, but it's possible. Also the mission clears the Ancient Forest of all other large monsters, so no worries about Bazel or other adds.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I actually got 4 of the Horizon tickets for 1 kill. I guess maybe I used a voucher?

Looks like I need to bank one more in case I want to upgrade the bow later, but all done with that otherwise. Whew, now I can just relax and play.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's just a fight against a large anjanath. You'll need to do it a handful of times if you want the bow and gear though

That just unlocks the armor, though. The bow and its upgrade cost 5 more tickets.

So you need 9 tickets in total but the good news is you can get two per hunt. It's not guaranteed, but it's possible. Also the mission clears the Ancient Forest of all other large monsters, so no worries about Bazel or other adds.

Okay that's good to know. I will probably recruit some higher rank friends to help me blast through them over the weekend.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan

Just to add what others have said, as I was in the same boat a few days ago:

Now that you've done the Rathalos/Diablos assignment, you should be HR10. All you need to do now is the second Zorah Magdaros fight, then your first high rank quest (Pukei-Pukei) and a quick expedition.
That should bring you to HR11. Not too much work considering there's 5 more days.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Just how hard is to farm Vaal Hazak fangs? I'm missing two and I'm getting gems and tails like nothing. I just need two goddamn fangs.

Super annoying. First, you've got to break his head multiple times and then you have to not want Fangs. Once you've done both steps a few times you might get one. Maybe...

... probably not though.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

Personally I don't bother grinding Tempered Elders , I rather spend my time making niche/unique builds (even if they are not the best in term of clear time) or try out different weapon types.

Just how hard is to farm Vaal Hazak fangs? I'm missing two and I'm getting gems and tails like nothing. I just need two goddamn fangs.

Some tips for breaking Vaal Hazak head, in the area next to his nest, there are fang stalagtites above, if you shoot stone (conveniently laying around) when Vaal is below it, it will topple Vaal for significant amount of time (comparable to successful mount topple), allowing you to hit his head freely. There are two stalagtites for two topple.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I don't bother grinding Tempered Elders , I rather spend my time making niche/unique builds (even if they are not the best in term of clear time) or try out different weapon types.

That's what I've been doing. I can't be bothered to spam SOS for tempered monsters to hope the decoration I want pops up. I'm just having fun.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Of all the weapons that I've used thus far, Longsword is the only one that I feel is making me 'rush' my attacks.

1) The final spirit attack is the only one that levels up your spirit bar
2) You spirit bar will constantly decrease if you don't keep refilling it with the final spirit attack.

Meaning to play optimally, I need to keep getting the final spirit attack which is at the end of a relatively long combo lol. Rather than a tail cutter, my mentality then seems to be just hit any spot to level up.

Skronk

Nov 22, 2017

For the fang + to drop the percentage are:

8% Carve
66% for a head break (You need to do around 900 damage on the head to do this)
15% Silver reward
14% Gold reward

got these from GaijinHunter's rare drop rates video:

OP
OP
Laughing Banana
Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
The Dober's leg get good skills (Stamina Surge and Attack Boost) which are very good for Bow users like me but they look so goddamn ugly on my female character, urgh.

This might be a crazy way to play but I just flat out refuse wearing armor that I don't think look good on my character, meh, anyone else also play this way? Hahaha.

Oct 25, 2017
How goes it everyone. Just started playing today, I've played lots of other hunting games (Toukiden, God Eater, Soul Sacrifice etc) but the only Monster Hunter title I've ever played was the PS2 game because I couldn't deal with the controls on handheld and I didn't own a Wii-U.

So far I'm a big fan it but I'm having a tough time figuring out which weapons suit me the most. I think so far I'm leaning towards either Lance or Gunlance but on GL I'm having a bit tougher a time figuring out the right times to use shells, Wyrmfire and the wyrmstake. I think I lean a bit more into Gunlance then than I do Lance but it seems like Gunlance has to be sharpened way more then many of the other weapons.

I like the hammer also but I wish the hammers were a little bit larger then they are in terms of length.

I am maining gunlance for this game and love it. The strongest playstyle that I am aware of with it is the full burst infinite combo, where you start with an upswing, do a down slam, full burst, wide swing and then quick reload, following the quick reload you can go direct into the down slam and repeat infinitely. The down slam and wide swing will hit without bouncing off tough spots (e.g horns) and the shelling does fixed damage, ignoring armour. Shelling does eat through sharpness quickly, so speed sharpening or trying to always get the sharpening food skill will help, though I've always prioritised other skills over sharpening.

You want to start aiming to get some artillery gear because it will increase damage of shells, so Anjanath legs and Paolomu gloves will get you to level 2 and that might be as much as you can get in low rank, once you reach high rank you will want to get capacity boost too, I dont recall if it is in low rank.

Best gunlance for full burst is the max Rathian tree, however up until then I'd argue that the Great Jagras tree is spectacular and criminally overlooked. It is very easy to make and it's second last version has very high base damage (comparable to a number of max gunlances) and allows for the strongest full burst oriented gunlance you can get before defeating elder dragons.

Wyrmstake I almost never use because it ends a combo and is very slow, particularly if you whiff. Wyvern Fire is very situational, I don't often use it in the middle of a fight because it is slow, but if the monster is sleeping I might use it with some barrel bombs to do some nice damage waking it up.

With all that being said do not forget to use your shield, it blocks almost all attacks and you can do a poke from it which is weak but shouldn't be overlooked as it allows you to reach heads pretty easily and fairly safely.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
The best elderseal weapon is the Nergigante line which is in the top 5 of most weapons, so it's not much of a trade-off, more like a safe bet. High raw (highest for some weapon), dragon attack, high elderseal and long blue sharpness is a solid choice for many builds.

lawtowler

Oct 30, 2017
What's the general consensus on Level 5 Earplugs for LS users?

I fancy making the following build:

Extermination's Edge - attack jewel (health regen augmentation)
Bazel Helm b - Earplugs & grinder jewel
Rathalos Mail b - dragon jewel
Nergigante Vambraces b - utility slot (either attack or maybe grinder?)
Bazel Coil b - utility slot (either attack or maybe grinder?)
Rathalos Greaves a - no slot
Attack Charm III

I believe this should give me Level 5 Earplugs, Level 3 Weakness Exploit, Minimum Level 5 Attack, Minimum Level 1 Speed Sharpening (depending whether I use attack or grinder jewels in certain slots), Dragon Attack boost plus some other perks including the Rath set bonus.

Thoughts? Where could this be tweaked/improved? I'm completely new to the series so going mostly off various builds I've seen online.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Guys. I need tips on how to deliver those 2 wyvern eggs. My movesets are limited while carrying an egg, I cant crouch pass through trunks/branches or jump down from high cliff.

Pila

Oct 31, 2017
Guys. I need tips on how to deliver those 2 wyvern eggs. My movesets are limited while carrying an egg, I cant crouch pass through trunks/branches or jump down from high cliff.

Unlock camp 17, it's gonna be a very short walk if you have that camp available.

Lol I'm beaten like Jaggis used to be.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Ghillie mantle works while carrying an egg. Did you also unlock the fourth camp?

Yes. Im using that one.

I have also opened the fourth camp.. but..
Take it to the 4th camp (in the trees) it's just down the hill to the left of the nest.

Unlock camp 17, it's gonna be a very short walk if you have that camp available.

Lol I'm beaten like Jaggis used to be.

I dont know how to access the camp without shortcut. The scoutflies always take the shortcut which is impossible while carrying the egg

Pila

Oct 31, 2017
I dont know how to access the camp without shortcut. The scoutflies always take the shortcut which is impossible while carrying the egg

Walk away from the nest going to the "normal" route, your bugs will get their shit together after a few steps and they'll show you the way (it's still a short walk)

Siegmeyer

Nov 2, 2017

As well as using the Ghillie Mantle, make a piece of armour with the Pro Transporter skill (this can be done very easily). All delivery quests are a breeze with those two things.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Walk away from the nest going to the "normal" route, your bugs will get their shit together after a few steps and they'll show you the way (it's still a short walk)
I've found it!! Yay! Actually i have taken that route before, but i didnt see a crossroad there so i thought it was dead end. There is a small road that leads me back to the camp

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of builds typically benefit from weapons that require the Free Element skill as opposed to having their ailment/element already unlocked? Is it typically worth the skill level investment?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
What kind of builds typically benefit from weapons that require the Free Element skill as opposed to having their ailment/element already unlocked? Is it typically worth the skill level investment?
Some Weapons may deal higher elemental blight, or it gives a higher attack weapon some extra blight damage etc from what i understand its more a personal preference. But for some scenarios it can be really nice to have on a weapon that has already special things going on and make it even better.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Killing the Anjanath now for the Horizon stuff. Using the Pukei-Pukei HR armour with a SnS. Not long into HR.

I might try going after a rathian next for materials. How is the gunlance? I fancy trying it out. I know you can craft a rathian gunlance.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Killing the Anjanath now for the Horizon stuff. Using the Pukei-Pukei HR armour with a SnS. Not long into HR.

I might try going after a rathian next for materials. How is the gunlance? I fancy trying it out. I know you can craft a rathian gunlance.

Personally enjoying it greatly for being a tankier playstyle that also makes explosions. Combined with the guard up skill I feel like a walking tank. Mobility is terrible though when monsters are running around between allies. Something I really felt from moving into it from the change blade.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally enjoying it greatly for being a tankier playstyle that also makes explosions. Combined with the guard up skill I feel like a walking tank. Mobility is terrible though when monsters are running around between allies. Something I really felt from moving into it from the change blade.

Hmmm. Not sure I'd be able to handle being that slow. Is it slower than the switch axe? It's slow but reasonably mobile.

I've just killed the pink dragon as part of the main quest. I'm now farming HR odagaron as his armour seems good for HR. I might give dual blades a go again.

I've been using the palico horn for buffs and it's pretty good. Helps more than traps or healing I think.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm. Not sure I'd be able to handle being that slow. Is it slower than the switch axe? It's slow but reasonably mobile.

I've just killed the pink dragon as part of the main quest. I'm now farming HR odagaron as his armour seems good for HR. I might give dual blades a go again.

I've been using the palico horn for buffs and it's pretty good. Helps more than traps or healing I think.

I haven't messed with a switch axe in a while, but IIRC yes, it's a bit slower than that, also no dodge roll when deployed, you just have the hop step for repositioning. You're pretty committed to blocking for defense while your weapon is out.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017

Forward+Triangle does a dash into the rising thrust that covers a lot of ground for attacking from a distance, and back+X does a longer backhop than X by itself. It's not quite as clumsy at it seems at first glance, but it's still pretty low on the mobility scale.