• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Wait, so you can actually sprint and heal? I've always slowed to a walk but I must have never tried sprinting again for fear of cancelling the animation.

Was about to call bs on Diablos after he carted me twice with his... generous hitboxes, but after I was forced to play carefully he was alright. Managed to get a horn too. Now to check if the armour looks goo-oh dear god no, wow, no. No.

Rubytux

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
Hi all again, can you tell me how noisy gets your PS4 Pro when playing Monster Hunter World on resolution mode? Old model/New model?

I m just new with my PS4 Pro, it is the CUH 7115b Star Wars Edition. It is supposed to be quiet.

I hear the fan after 3 hrs of playing on resolution mode. It is not a turbo jet. I would rate it 6.0/10, sometimes it is a 7.0.

I just want to know if MH World is a demanding Game on resolution mode, in case not, i suppose i AM about to expect more noise with other games

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hi all again, can you tell me how noisy gets your PS4 Pro when playing Monster Hunter World on resolution mode? Old model/New model?

I m just new with my PS4 Pro, it is the CUH 7115b Star Wars Edition. It is supposed to be quiet.

I hear the fan after 3 hrs of playing on resolution mode. It is not a turbo jet. I would rate it 6.0/10, sometimes it is a 7.0.

I just want to know if MH World is a demanding Game on resolution mode, in case not, i suppose i AM about to expect more noise with other games

My OG was a fucking jet, I replace the thermal paste ever two years. Super quiet now.

Stellar Drift

Jan 6, 2018
Anyone on XB want a friend? Mature guy just looking for some laughs. Add me up. All I require is that you don't play with your mic wide open while your wife yells at your kids.

Clickboot is the GT.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Teostra at the top, and everything else below that.
Whats so hard about Teostra? None of his attacks are hard to evade. Nergigante is harder imo, because of his "almost" impossible to evade "roar and flying smash" combo is extremely deadly. Lost Nergigante quests many times while playing coop because
someone will always gets killed with that attack.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Is Odogaron armor worth investing in? I just killed my first one in a story mission. I'd be upgrading from an Anjanath set.

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think I found my new favorite weapon. LBG feels so good to use. Thank you Cleve and HenryEen for the recommendation!

Is Odogaron armor worth investing in? I just killed my first one in a story mission. I'd be upgrading from an Anjanath set.
If it offers a defense boost then sure. Low rank armor will be pretty much useless once you reach high rank so don't worry too much about it.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
You can actually farm the Zorah end quest (either when it's available for you, or by SOS) and get a full set of rarity 6 armour that will see you through most of high rank. It's not pretty (at least the female version), but it's functional because you can keep levelling the defence as you increase in HR.

All I know is that derpy Uragaan roll fucks me up constantly. He's the only monster I actually fear fighting for that reason alone!
But i notice that zorah armours are strong to fire, but weak to others. The question is do i have to change my armours if i want to fight the resistant enemies?

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
But i notice that zorah armours are strong to fire, but weak to others. The question is do i have to change my armours if i want to fight the resistant enemies?
It would help if you find yourself struggling with the enemies. You can also eat a meal for elemental resistence or look into buying singular armor pieces with resistence to the element of the monster you struggle with. I don't think Zorah is a great set but it isn't bad if you want to farm it and then forget about armors for a bit. Sooner or later you will be looking to make new pieces either for armor skills or for fashion.

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Zorah armor's working for me at the beginning of HR, but it doesn't offer good armor skills (at least for my character) and I'm already exchanging it for better gear as I hunt more monsters.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
So in regards to dragon enemies, are Wyvern weapons better for those monsters? I notice they have a base damage, but lower on the stat menu it will say something like Wyvern 270. Does it add the number next to the second stat when fighting dragons or how does the math work out?

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
So is it generally better to wear a full set of armor or would it be better to mix and match to offset weaknesses?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So is it generally better to wear a full set of armor or would it be better to mix and match to offset weaknesses?
For me I often like to have a set bonus + max out other skills I want through armor and decorations.
So in that case it would be matching a few pieces(however many is required for the set bonus, I think it's 3 for most?) and filling other slots with skills you're interested in.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
For me I often like to have a set bonus + max out other skills I want through armor and decorations.
So in that case it would be matching a few pieces(however many is required for the set bonus, I think it's 3 for most?) and filling other slots with skills you're interested in.
Ahh, I wasn't even considering the skills. I'm still pretty early in the game. That makes sense. I was just thinking about offsetting some of the negative stats you can gain from wearing a full set. Like how I'm wearing the Pukei-Pukei set and it's -15 on thunder damage. I was thinking it might be best to change two pieces out that are perhaps strong against thunder damage. But the skills are probably way more important, huh? I've barely even looked at the armor skills yet but they seem like they could be really good once you get to the higher level gear.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to make some hunting horns. Using it is a bit weird.

472e66d2-de48-4d84-bac9-0dd96cf1917c.PNG

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh, I wasn't even considering the skills. I'm still pretty early in the game. That makes sense. I was just thinking about offsetting some of the negative stats you can gain from wearing a full set. Like how I'm wearing the Pukei-Pukei set and it's -15 on thunder damage. I was thinking it might be best to change two pieces out that are perhaps strong against thunder damage. But the skills are probably way more important, huh? I've barely even looked at the armor skills yet but they seem like they could be really good once you get to the higher level gear.
Armor skills are much more valuable than resistances. Slight spoilers but for most elements there aren't that many monsters that use them, so for most fights it won't matter what your Thunder Res is.

Skills meanwhile will help on every single fight.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

Resistance doesn't really matter as majority of monster attack are physical-based (Rathalos/Rathian for example, use physical attack for majority of their attack with only their fireball count as Fire). The only exception is maybe Kirin where majority of its attack are elemental.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Zorah armor's working for me at the beginning of HR, but it doesn't offer good armor skills (at least for my character) and I'm already exchanging it for better gear as I hunt more monsters.

Im wearing zorah headgear and armor, I still get one hit ko'd by anjanath's flame burst. Imagine playing this game solo.. it's a nightmare in disguise.

Btw i got my first epic turf war yesterday. Anjanath vs diablos vs beelzevelsomething that drops firebomb

Last edited:

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Im wearing zorah headgear and armor, I still get one hit ko'd by anjanath's flame burst. Imagine playing this game solo.. it's a nightmare in disguise.

Btw i got my first epic turf war yesterday. Anjanath vs diablos vs beelzevelsomething that drops firebomb
I know how you feel. Playing can be really frustating sometimes. Is the rest of your amor still LR? Maybe try to forge armor from a weaker HR monster if the defense is higher than what you're currently wearing.

Are you on PS4? If you want, we can team up. I killed Anjanath all day today after switching to LBG, lol.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
This game is pure crack.
It really is. This is my first Mh. When I first played it, I was not really enjoying. After I learned more of the game, it finally clicked. Weapons are so satisfying to use and it's fun playing with friends. Right now I'm planning to make elemental weapons .

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017

If you are min/maxing then separate pieces (each piece has a skill so you'd want to match those skills to what you're using) but also you can wear full sets and get set bonuses instead AND at the same time look cooler in a full matching set :D

Btw for the record I've killed everything in the game using a certain end game set without mixing/matching since mixing matching makes me look terrible. Fashion hunter for life.

The faster you get out of LR gear into HR the better. I know its tempting to create the cool looking gear like Zoras once you get it in LR but the HR stuff is so much better for survival as it offers way more defense even without being upgraded. Also if you're dying to that specific attack make sure you're buffed with L elemental defense when you eat food. Its really easy to dodge that attack once you know the tells of Anj.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
So I need elder bones/wyvern gem and I am 2nd to last boss. Need my alloy war bow badly. Any tips or help? I'm on the PS4

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
In Low Rank, you can just gear up for raw DEF. That will serve you well.

Once you hit high rank, it's far better to gear up based on skills that come with each piece, and then plug up elemental weaknesses with jewels and eating. There are some situations where you'll need to make new gear just for a specific fight where the elemental damage is crazy high, but that's few and far between.

So I need elder bones/wyvern gem and I am 2nd to last boss. Need my alloy war bow badly. Any tips or help? I'm on the PS4
Elder bones drop from Elder Dragons. Wyvern gems you can get from a number of different monsters. According to the wikis, a high rank barroth investigation gives the best chance of getting wyvern gems.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017

Elder bones you just farm elder dragons. Also make sure you do the limited bounty for this week as it rewards a gold ticket that you can exchange for any monster gem you want at the melder. One of the limited bounties is killing elder dragons so you can kill two birds one stone since you will get the elder bones that way too. For more Wyvern gems do the high rank investigations for the monsters that drop them and look for ones that hold gold rewards as that gives them a higher chance to drop. Monsters that drop wyvern gems are Tobi Kadachi, Paolumu, Barroth, Jyuratodus, Radobaan, Diablos and the Lavasloth. Always do investigations when farming items like that as they give the most rewards especially if you capture. Either create the investigation yourself and call and SoS if you need help or join a random.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I thought earlier in the thread someone had shown there was no real bonus for capturing over carving?

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
There will definitely be a point where this will be necessary, but I didn't have to worry for a LONG time. Most of the elemental damage is fire - you'll have a little poison to deal with (Rathian/Rathalos/Pukei Pukei) but remedying that is easy enough. I think the raw defence is more important initially.

As has been mentioned, the skills may not suit (I main bow, there's almost nothing of value in there) but it's a good all around set for base stats.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It really is. This is my first Mh. When I first played it, I was not really enjoying. After I learned more of the game, it finally clicked. Weapons are so satisfying to use and it's fun playing with friends. Right now I'm planning to make elemental weapons .
While I enjoyed the demo, I didn't think the other stuff would be so much fun. The crafting, surveying, and such.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Thanks. I'll do both tonight.

Breaking his face is 3% chance, capture is 1%, silver reward is 6%, gold reward is 13%. The answer to gems is always to find the investigation with the most gold + silver rewards for the monster. I just go with a thumbs rule that one gold = 2 silver. Capture it to get your rolls faster. Focus on the head during downs to get the break but if I wouldn't stretch out the fights just to get it, the investigation reward is where it's at.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I thought earlier in the thread someone had shown there was no real bonus for capturing over carving?

I feel you get a few items more when you capture. Also if someone has fainted just before the final blow is delt they not make it back to get the carves so I usually try to trap/tranq the monster that way everyone should get items.

andyp2

Nov 3, 2017

Mine is about a year old and gets super loud, to the point where I need to play with my headphones in. So annoying.

Ys45

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like all my bad luck from last week left me, over the weekend I got 2 Gem in a single Xeno hunt then I finally got a gem from Nergi , I'm at 5 Teostra gem and got 2 wyvern gem all in 2 days of hunting lol .
And I'm HR 65 after beating Kirin which took us 3 retries (damn this monster)

So now I unlocked all other Tempered monsters I guess?
It's decorations grinding time!

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm nearing the end of my time with monster hunter world (70ish hours so far) and I've had a great time so far (with a few niggling issues that can't be ignored). I have a question that might contain spoilers about what I presume to be the final area:

So I completed the ??? rathian quest to find a pallet swap at the end of it, but it opened up a whole new area with new monsters to fight. Unfortunately not really, the quest to explore it and spot all the monsters has me finding 2 pallet swaps and 1 new guy, but also the implication that new monsters are out in the world now. Next I explore the ancient forest and find....another separate dragon pallet swap this time blue. My question is, am I done with actual new monsters? If not how much does it take to get to them? I just want to see/fight the unique stuff.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Nope, you still need to fight a bunch of elder dragons, click below if you want to know just how many:

You'll have to find their tracks soon, kill them, and then the final boss.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Now that we have the drop percentage on Kiranico I've yet to see a scenario where carving is better to get anything vs an investigation capture.

I feel you get a few items more when you capture. Also if someone has fainted just before the final blow is delt they not make it back to get the carves so I usually try to trap/tranq the monster that way everyone should get items.

Well look at that . Just a couple hours after I reply to you, this goes up.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just made high rank last night. I got a quest to hunt a pukei-pukei (sp?) and spent forever wandering around in the forest without being able to find tracks anyplace. Then I got killed by some new monster that drops bombs from its tail than one-hit me.

This is a much better game than I thought it would be. So far I've soloed everything except Diablos (fuck that guy and his broken hitboxes), but I've started responding to SOS flares as a way of farming materials, and I have to say that co-op is really fun even with randoms. Seeing as how I've put 30 or so hours into the game already and it feels like I just left the tutorial phase, I might co-op more and not worry so much about doing everything solo.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
I'm nearing the end of my time with monster hunter world (70ish hours so far) and I've had a great time so far (with a few niggling issues that can't be ignored). I have a question that might contain spoilers about what I presume to be the final area:

So I completed the ??? rathian quest to find a pallet swap at the end of it, but it opened up a whole new area with new monsters to fight. Unfortunately not really, the quest to explore it and spot all the monsters has me finding 2 pallet swaps and 1 new guy,

The monsters in the new area are similar, but they're not just pallet swaps, they have new mechanics. There's also 4 additional new large monsters you'll come to find before the HR story is over. If you don't want to grind, that's where the new content ends.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Decided to make some hunting horns. Using it is a bit weird.

Weird but actually quite simple (though there is a lot of skill in mastering it).

There aren't any true combos (i.e. where a move requires another previous move to activate it), except for using back on LS and any note to follow up any attack with a weak pommel strike. This is usually used to play a 2nd note quickly rather than for damage.
There are only 6 regular moves for T, O and T+O with or without LS input.
Of those moves, 4 do similar damage in a single strong hit and two (O and LS+T+O) are spinning attacks with a weak hit and a strong hit.
The spinning moves allow you to play a second note by pushing it's button during the second swing. You don't do an extra attack, but you get the note.

Because most of the attacks are similar, you just have to work through the songs you want. For this reason, every horn is different, since you'll want different combs for different buffs.
Then you just play them with R2 and if you have time press R2 again for an 'encore' which gives an higher level of the buff.
The performance R2 move does a lot of damage but takes a while.

It's much more improvisational than other weapons, since you don't just focus on a few combos or reaching a crazy true element charged bastard attack. You have instant access to two attacks per note, so you're mostly just picking between them on-the-fly.
You don't need to hit in order to play a note, so you can queue up a few songs by attacking thin air. I usually do this in multiplayer, where I want to ensure everyone has buffs ASAP rather than being selfish.
You can either use the horn like a hammer by trying to hit the head as much as possible - or you can focus on queuing up songs, hitting the monster as a bonus and using the performance move to deal damage.

Unfortunately, it has no easy access to mounting attacks except by jumping off cliffs or whatever, but if you get one then be prepared for the funniest mounting attack in the game.

Just made high rank last night. I got a quest to hunt a pukei-pukei (sp?) and spent forever wandering around in the forest without being able to find tracks anyplace. Then I got killed by some new monster that drops bombs from its tail than one-hit me.

This is a much better game than I thought it would be. So far I've soloed everything except Diablos (fuck that guy and his broken hitboxes), but I've started responding to SOS flares as a way of farming materials, and I have to say that co-op is really fun even with randoms. Seeing as how I've put 30 or so hours into the game already and it feels like I just left the tutorial phase, I might co-op more and not worry so much about doing everything solo.

Pukei (or its tracks) are usually in the top right area of the map, at ground level. Nice to see you've met bageljuice, you'll be seeing (and fleeing) him quite often from now on.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
The monsters in the new area are similar, but they're not just pallet swaps, they have new mechanics. There's also 4 additional new large monsters you'll come to find before the HR story is over. If you don't want to grind, that's where the new content ends.
I expected Lavasioth to be an easy Jyratodus pallet swap. Discovered instead that he is a fiery invulnerable bastard. Also, fighting in lava is more dangerous than in mud (in retrospect, this should not have been a shocking revelation).

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
I expected Lavasioth to be an easy Jyratodus pallet swap. Discovered instead that he is a fiery invulnerable bastard. Also, fighting in lava is more dangerous than in mud (in retrospect, this should not have been a shocking revelation).

Yeah, Lavasioth is one of my least favorite monsters to fight. Even at really low gearing, Jyra is a joke. Hit him with a couple puddle pods to wash off his mud armor and go to town. If you don't get Lavasioth's armor off before it hardens, you're going to have a bad time.