• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Didn't see a thread for this, there's a free trial available on PS4 on the back of the Iceborne expansion new trailer.

Store link for free trial: https://store.playstation.com/?resolve=EP0102-CUSA07708_00-MHWFORTRIAL00000

Source: http://www.monsterhunterworld.com/trial/uk/

Free Trial Version period (UTC)
From May 9 to May 20, 2019.

(Once the free trial period has ended, you will not be able to play the trial version anymore.)
  • Try out the opening section of the full version of Monster Hunter: World for free!
  • Nearly all of the story, quests, armor, and upgrades up to Hunter Rank 4 / 3★ assignments are available for free!
  • Your save data can be carried over into the full version!
  • Play online with hunters who own the full version!

The full game is also greatly discounted currently in both EU and US PS4 store.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking PLAY this game if you have not. Even if you never played a Monster Hunter game. There's a lot of content that this free trial gives you.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
If you're interested in buying it, don't play the free trial and just get it. The start is a little overwhelming and might throw you off, but if you push through the first few hours you'll get hooked

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
It's a shame they're not doing unlimited demos like for previous games. Don't understand the point.

Nec

The Fallen
Mar 12, 2019
I already have the game on pc but my specs not that good for 60fps, I will give a try on my Pro to see if it is somehow better.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Y'all should try. Its a very good game that you can sink alot of hours into. Its my first real Monster Hunter experience and I have almost 300 hours logged into it. All the weapons have different playstyles and wonderful combat. Switch Axe is where its at!

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
I played the beta and really didn't like how the combat felt, I was sluggishly hacking away at enemies and then they'd run away and I'd find them and do the same thing again. No real tension, atmosphere or interesting level design and it seems very repetitive too.

Going to give it another go though because people seem to love it.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The 3DS/Switch demos had only 3 missions, I'm not sure how that is questionable.

Yeah but, what I mean is, I don't see what the point of similar demo's for the previous games now would be. The 3DS is on it's way out and Generations Ultimate isn't getting any further major support or acquisition beats. Monster Hunter World is though, so it makes sense.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's a fair amount of content. Is that basically up to the Anjanath IIRC? Well worth a try.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Yeah but, what I mean is, I don't see what the point of similar demo's for the previous games now would be. The 3DS is on it's way out and Generations Ultimate isn't getting any further major support or acquisition beats. Monster Hunter World is though, so it makes sense.
I think you misunderstood. I'm saying that the MHW demo should be unlimited in time, just like the previous ones, instead of releasing the same demo for the third time and for only a few days.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Played the first couple missions and I think I hate everything about this game lol

-mini tutorials every minute
-too many menus
-UI
-slow, annoying looting
-Backing off combat to sharpen weapons
-Generic opening rounded out with the awkward mute protagonist, mediocre dialogue and VO
-Slow, grinding, unsatisfying combat with ambiguous hit boxes(I picked the katana)
-Crafting and upgrading
-annoying hub world
-slaughtering animal families who're just minding their own business

I just don't get it. Mostly the game should show me something enjoyable before hammering me with busy work.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
-Slow, grinding, unsatisfying combat with ambiguous hit boxes(I picked the katana)
mh's combat is one of the biggest reason why the game is popular, and it's quite precise
some weapons just don't work for some people, you really have to pick a weapon type you enjoy
if you don't find LS fun, go to the training area (talk to the cat npc in your room) and mess around with all the different weapons there
LS is quite beginner friendly so it's a decent choice, you might wanna try switch axe and charge blade also

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
mh's combat is one of the biggest reason why the game is popular, and it's quite precise
some weapons just don't work for some people, you really have to pick a weapon type you enjoy
if you don't find LS fun, go to the training area (talk to the cat npc in your room) and mess around with all the different weapons there
LS is quite beginner friendly so it's a decent choice, you might wanna try switch axe and charge blade also
Yeah was going to say the same, the combat is the reason to buy the game, literally one of the best most satisfying combat systems I've ever played, it's brilliant and there's a lot to it, each weapon plays differently and all feel great to use, it's got to really since that's pretty much what you'll be spending all your time doing, fighting monsters over and over.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Played the first couple missions and I think I hate everything about this game lol

-mini tutorials every minute
-too many menus
-UI
-slow, annoying looting
-Backing off combat to sharpen weapons
-Generic opening rounded out with the awkward mute protagonist, mediocre dialogue and VO
-Crafting and upgrading
-annoying hub world
-slaughtering animal families who're just minding their own business

I just don't get it. Mostly the game should show me something enjoyable before hammering me with busy work.

The early stages are not the best and the tutorials are indeed boring! Unfortunately, there are a lot of mechanics to take in despite World smoothing out a lot of the prep time busywork. But the core combat and upgrade loop are very satisfying to me. It not for everyone maybe, but for people who enjoy the measured and deliberate combat of games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne it should click. That's what kept me going for 250+ hours and I've only been playing with one weapon type. Branching out to others is like New Game Plus! Very fun.

Last edited:

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
I played the beta and really didn't like how the combat felt, I was sluggishly hacking away at enemies and then they'd run away and I'd find them and do the same thing again. No real tension, atmosphere or interesting level design and it seems very repetitive too.

I had the exact same experience during my time with the beta.

To fans of the game:
I am willing to give the game a second chance due to the amount of praise that it gets here. I want to enjoy it but what am I missing? What should I do differently this time to "get" it?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Also newcomers, don't bother switching on HDR in this one if your TV supports it. Keep it off in the game as it's one of the worst implementations yet. Game looks way better turned off.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
I Keep meaning to download this on gamepass and give it a fair shot. I tried the PSP version of MH (whichever it was) and it didn't click. Also tried out Dauntless Beta and its cool, might as well jump on the MH train for free.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
I had the exact same experience during my time with the beta.

To fans of the game:
I am willing to give the game a second chance due to the amount of praise that it gets here. I want to enjoy it but what am I missing? What should I do differently this time to "get" it?
test other weapon types until you find one that you like
speak to the cat npc from your room to access the training area

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017

Don't mistake slow calculating attacks as sluggish, MH isn't about mindless hack and slash. The combat gives you all the control on where you want to land your hit so you really have aim and also be taking risks.

If you miss your hit or made a wrong move, its 99 percent your fault. Try different weapons types instead of sticking to one if one weapon type doesn't gel well with you. And monster running away is needed as you need some downtime to heal/buff/swap gear or sharpen your weapons.

Beginning quests doesn't really pose that much challenge other than anjanath so it's understandable that you don't feel the tension but later in the game where you start facing elder dragons is where it starts especially with a group as you get only 3 tries and having teammates wasting 2 tries really puts pressure on you not to fuck up.

JigsawPSN

Banned
Apr 11, 2019
its also 20$ on psn, just buy it, have it installed and play whenever you are in the mood. try different weapons, play with other people, it will click at some point and for 20$ what can you do wrong

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone played this on Xbox One X and on PS4 pro? I sold my X, but kinda miss Monster Hunter... should I buy it for the pro? I wonder if the graphical difference is that huge.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever designed the UI for this game needs to be fired

Yes I also played Tri and 4. At least I could read shit back then. Also yes I set the typeface to large

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
How do I get a different weapon?

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
How do I get a different weapon?

Um, I don't know what is available in the demo, but you should have the basic level one versions of all of the different types of weapons. Go to one of the chests in the main city and select "change equipment," then highlight the weapon and switch to whatever you want.

Dual blades are probably the best for a newbie, it's the weapon that most closely resembles that of other third-person action games. They're fast, you don't have to be thinking on an individual button input to succeed, etc.

Stop right there and uninstall. MHW is not the game for you.

I think that's a little harsh, it just requires an attitude adjustment from prior games. I think the biggest change from other games is that you need to really think out and commit to every button input you make. You need pretty good timing to make a hit and each of your options has different damage, wind-up times, and recovery times. It's totally foreign if you're used to Bayonetta but once you've got it it's really rewarding. So once you're done with the dual blades, Roy, maybe move on to either the Great Sword or Hammer, both of which are slow, hard hitting weapons that really reward picking your spots (while not necessarily being ery complicated combo-wise).

I don't think MHW would have been successful if it weren't for Dark Souls teaching western gamers how to do this kind of deliberate combat.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
this one might click better since it has a control scheme that's actually useful

Ok, after a couple of hours of play, I can see myself really getting into it -- only problem is my plate is feeling full (MHW has a lot of breadth to it; little overwhelmed with game systems atm). I'm playing through AC Odyssey, Division 2 (about to go on hiatus), Dishonored 2 (almost done), and some other multiplayer games.

I'll definitely come back to it down the line, maybe when the expansion lands.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
You mean in the store you can only get the trial with PS+? Are you in Germany, perhaps? Trial does not require PS+ in my region store.

Is PS+ required for online play during the trial? I've got a friend who's a Monster Hunter fan but hasn't touched World because he really only is his Switch these days. He doesn't have PS+ as a result and I'd love to run some hunts with him (and potentially convince him to buy the game) if possible.

OP
OP
bombshell

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Is PS+ required for online play during the trial? I've got a friend who's a Monster Hunter fan but hasn't touched World because he really only is his Switch these days. He doesn't have PS+ as a result and I'd love to run some hunts with him (and potentially convince him to buy the game) if possible.
Yes, there's an official trial FAQ in my thread source link.
Q: Can anyone who downloads the trial version play online?
A: You need a PlayStation™Plus membership to play online.
But PS+ is not required to get the trial from the store and play solo.
You could get him to check if he can get a 7 day PS+ trial. I think everyone can get one from the PS store, if they haven't used one before.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
What? I've had this in my cart for a week trying to decide if I want to buy it or not. I'll definitely check out this demo first...