• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
While I think TAA on its own is pretty bad, I do think it works well alongside FXAA in MHW. At least, at 1440p.

TBH I think TAA is a lot better above 1080p to begin with.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
While I think TAA on its own is pretty bad, I do think it works well alongside FXAA in MHW. At least, at 1440p.

TBH I think TAA is a lot better above 1080p to begin with.

Im at 1440p and TAA+FXAA looks basically the same as just TAA (blurry AF). I was swapping back and forth like 20 times to see what the difference was and I really couldn't tell. FXAA was the most detailed by a mile.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Im at 1440p and TAA+FXAA looks basically the same as just TAA (blurry AF). I was swapping back and forth like 20 times to see what the difference was and I really couldn't tell. FXAA was the most detailed by a mile.

I was looking at a weaved basket in Astera when choosing my AA, and I honestly thought that FXAA+TAA looked better than just TAA, and retained more fine details. Odd.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
I usually always turned off AA in MHW with how crazy blurry it made the game, but with the Freestyle sharpening on Nvidia you could actually counteract the blurriness quite well last time I played the game.

OP
OP
.exe

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Updated the OP a bit for Iceborne. If anyone's got performance tips, leave a mention and I'll drop it in.
Don't have my hands on the game right now as my PC's in disrepair atm, so I can't check things myself either :')

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Updated the OP a bit for Iceborne. If anyone's got performance tips, leave a mention and I'll drop it in.
Don't have my hands on the game right now as my PC's in disrepair atm, so I can't check things myself either :')
It seems that something in Iceborne make Windows Defender goes crazy. Disabling Windows Defender or whitelisting Steam folder seems to works for CPU usage.

Crotin

May 6, 2018
Not sure if everything was fixed before I started playing today, only heard about the problems with the DLC, but I haven't had any problems playing.

Played from the start of the game to the end of the first 4 star quest Friday. Was getting 97-120 fps (only dipped to under 100 fps when going from a cave to open world and then would climbed back up to 105-110 avg)

Ryzen 3950X
2080 Ti SLI (SLI doesn't seem to work for this game out the box, haven't used an NVIDIA profile yet)
32gb RAM

Resolution: 2560x1440

DirectX 12 API : On
Frame rate: No limit
V-sync: Off
DLSS: On

VRAM: Usage 7.12 GB / 10.70 GB

Texture Quality: High Resolution TexturePack
Ambient Occlusion, Shadow Quality, LOD Bias, Snow Quality, SH Diffuse Quality: High
Volume Rendering Quality, Anisotropic Filtering: Highestw
Capsule AO, Contract Shadows, Foliage Sway, Subsurface Scattering, Screen Space Reflection, Water Reflection, Motion Blur, DOF, Z-Prepass: On
Dynamic Range: 64-Bit
Vignette Effects: Normal
Anti-Aliasing: TAA + FXAA (blacked out and can't be changed)

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure why but today I keep getting crashes with the message "ERR08: Memory overrun", yesterday it ran flawlessly. Any idea why?

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Just went through the opening hunt in Iceborne and the game ran really well. No hitching or freezing, and I think the lowest I saw the FPS go was around 52 when the screen was filled with snow.

Also, is it just me or does the snow deformation look kinda bad? I have it set to highest at the moment but I think I'll turn it down next time I play.

Edit: Oh, also the water reflections are indeed fixed!

Last edited:

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Is it better to use dlss or variable resolution (prefer framerate) in terms of iq at 4k until the performance quibbles get worked out? Dropping to the mid 40s and low 50s with a 2080ti and dropping sh diffuse quality doesn't seem to make much of a performance difference anymore.

Same goes for the old areas which were mid 50s to 60 fps pre iceborne at 4k with sh turned to low

Edit: looked it up and medium is 90 percent scaling apparently so will just use that because it makes performance consistent enough with gsync

Last edited:

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Is it better to use dlss or variable resolution (prefer framerate) in terms of iq at 4k until the performance quibbles get worked out? Dropping to the mid 40s and low 50s with a 2080ti and dropping sh diffuse quality doesn't seem to make much of a performance difference anymore.

Same goes for the old areas which were mid 50s to 60 fps pre iceborne at 4k with sh turned to low

Edit: looked it up and medium is 90 percent scaling apparently so will just use that because it makes performance consistent enough with gsync
Try the new Fidelity FX option and use the sharpness at around 0.4-0.5.

Went from high 50's to around 70fps at 1440p using a i7 4770k/GTX1070 everything maxed except volumetric fog.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
.exe

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Rockpapershotgun put out a performance guide, testing the game with the following graphics cards:

Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (4GB)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
AMD Radeon R9 270
AMD Radeon R9 290
AMD Radeon RX 570 (8GB)
AMD Radeon RX 580 (8GB)
AMD Radeon RX 590
AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT (4GB and 8GB)
AMD Radeon RX 5700
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...ld-pc-performance-best-settings-for-iceborne/

OP
OP
.exe

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I have a base 2080. Do you happen to know exactly where I fall within this list?

I'm not super knowledgeable, but from what I read here and there the 2070 Super is comparable (like ~10% less performant in avg. FPS than the 2080). Might be able to use that as a point of reference? But maybe someone with a better handle on these models can give a more solid answer. Or look up the performance gap between the regular 2080 and the Super. Maybe that's a better reference.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
It seems that something in Iceborne make Windows Defender goes crazy. Disabling Windows Defender or whitelisting Steam folder seems to works for CPU usage.

Thanks for the info, I disabled mine and it's actually running a bit better again. Before it would always go blurry when turning the camera and often times stay weird blurred, but I was just able to do a hunt just fine.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I usually always turned off AA in MHW with how crazy blurry it made the game, but with the Freestyle sharpening on Nvidia you could actually counteract the blurriness quite well last time I played the game.
I'll need to try that. I don't remember the game looking this soft before the expansion.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not super knowledgeable, but from what I read here and there the 2070 Super is comparable (like ~10% less performant in avg. FPS than the 2080). Might be able to use that as a point of reference? But maybe someone with a better handle on these models can give a more solid answer. Or look up the performance gap between the regular 2080 and the Super. Maybe that's a better reference.

Thanks. I'll try that.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
So, apparently, there is an odd fix that somehow fix the CPU overload. I'll try it tomorrow.

The apparent culprit seems to be Denuvo.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I've been testing a LOT to try to get this as smooth as possible frame times. For the record I have a 2080ti and a 6700k. I also use a gsync monitor, set to work in both full screen and borderless windowed.

Before the iceborne update, I had Butter smooth frame times in Dx11 using special K.

Post update, I've tried DX11, DX11 with the newest version of special K for MHW that was released about 12 hours ago that can limit threads and bypasses the CRC checks, DX12, and DX12 with the CRC checks disabled using the tool from here, https://fearlessrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?p=117528#p117528

Testing done in Astera for max cpu crunch, and done in "Your Room", the 3rd version with the harp, for minimal cpu crunch.

DX11 is absolutely borked right now, preventing max gpu utilization any time the cpu is being used heavily, which is constantly in Astera. Even with special K. Frame times are extremely inconsistent. Even when you turn all settings to maximum, frame times continue to spike.

DX12 when gpu utilization is maxed out (99% utilization) is butter smooth. Also reaching my fps cap set up in nvidia control panel of 141 fps. Extremely smooth frametimes. But if ever cpu usage becomes too high, or your don't maintain 99% utilization your frametimes will suffer.

So you actually will benefit from a smoother game by having higher quality settings used in order to make sure the gpu is the bottleneck not the cpu.

In order to alleviate some cpu pressure, I used the CRC bypass tool, and also changed the priority of MHW to high in task manager, as well as disabled my real time virus scan. And of course close as many background tasks as you can. The more cpu pressure you alleviate, the higher frame rate you can get away with from turning settings down. Doing all those things I did allowed frame time to remain almost completely stable even with gpu utilization less than 99%.

Edit: Another good tip of what background programs to close. Open Nvidia Control Panel on very top click Desktop, then "Display GPU activity icon in notification area". This adds an icon on your taskbar, that you can click and it will list all applications being used by the gpu. Close all of these programs in this list that are not MHW or Steam down.

Last edited:

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Also, there are some settings in the game right now that waste a lot of fps. The best way to test is to go to "Your Room", since cpu usage is very low here and you will always maintain 99% gpu utilization until you hit your fps cap, so you can see the exact cost each setting does.

Depth of Field right now costs multiple fps just being turned on, even when zero dof is being used. Dof is mostly only used when talking to npcs anyways and isn't that great of an implementation. I'd turn it off.

Ambient occlusion as I've posted earlier, is causing a crosshatch pattern that is very noticeable on characters. To my eyes, Medium is a less noticeable pattern than High. Low should be avoided. I recommend either off or medium. A side thing I noticed is that AO setting is effecting shadow quality as well. AO setting off is the same as AO Medium in regards to shadow quality. High improves shadow quality a little more. Low AO makes High Shadow Quality look really bad. AO looks nice on everything else though, and if you are trying to keep your gpu at full utilization, is worth using at Medium. High is very expensive compared to medium.

Volumetric is the most expensive setting of the entire lot, and also the stupidest. 99% of the time, there is no difference in picture quality between Low and Highest. That last 1% of the time, a further 99% of the time there is extremely little difference between Medium and Highest. Variable runs Medium to Highest based on gpu headroom, this means most of the time it's going to be medium, and really only gotten it to be highest in the menu where you select your character. I've never been able to make variable use Low. Never ever use highest. It costs 35% more of my fps compared to low. For nearly zero visible difference (compared to medium). I still recommend low instead of medium or variable, as the jump in cost is still too high. The only time you will notice the difference between low and medium is when a character or object moves in between the camera and the volumetric. You will notice artifacting then. Bump to medium if it really bugs you. Easiest way to tell is again the character select menu as your character and palico are standing in volumetric fog on the stage, and moving around. Fps cost not worth it to me.

Finally we come to Screen Space Reflection.
Not only does this setting cost a large chunk of fps, it also lowers the resolution of any reflective surface or edge. It looks terrible, it costs way too much. Leave it off.

A.M.

Community Resettler
So, very odd predicament:
My card (GTX Titan) 100% supports dx12. I've tested on other games, and the toggle to use it works proper.

Now, MHW:IB? It's greyed out. I can't toggle it on or off. I've tried reinstalling the game, reinstalling Windows 10, etc. Sooooo... how in the world do I fix this... ? So annoying... >.<;

Thank you very much💗

OP
OP
.exe

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
So, very odd predicament:
My card (GTX Titan) 100% supports dx12. I've tested on other games, and the toggle to use it works proper.

Now, MHW:IB? It's greyed out. I can't toggle it on or off. I've tried reinstalling the game, reinstalling Windows 10, etc. Sooooo... how in the world do I fix this... ? So annoying... >.<;

Thank you very much💗

What version of Windows 10 are you on? You need to be at least on 1809 to use DX12 (no idea why). See system req in OP.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So, apparently, there is an odd fix that somehow fix the CPU overload. I'll try it tomorrow.

This actually works i just tried it, if i have the the close dialog open it lowers the cpu utilization if i close the dialog it goes back up and yes this is probably Denuvo anti cheat related seems Iceborne is the testing ground for the new one they announced last year, here is a bit more technical info on it seems like there are now 58 hard coded scanners and 24 thread scanners running just scanning the game files/exe + the anti tamper and other drm related denuvo stuff.

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
This actually works i just tried it, if i have the the close dialog open it lowers the cpu utilization if i close the dialog it goes back up and yes this is probably Denuvo anti cheat related seems Iceborne is the testing ground for the new one they announced last year, here is a bit more technical info on it seems like there are now 58 hard coded scanners and 24 thread scanners running just scanning the game files/exe + the anti tamper and other drm related denuvo stuff.
This kind of shit is why I'm hardly buying anything on PC any more.
What is the point of paying more for fast hardware when they're crippling it with half-baked DRM/anti-cheat implementations? Too many games have been completely ruined by this.
If not that, then it's developers which can't even implement proper mouse support.

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The dialog window fix actually works together with the crc fix posted in the thread i linked above (be careful with that tools like that could potentially get you banned well if Capcom actually cared of course) and lowers cpu utilization even further using both i go from 60-80% cpu to about 10% on the main menu this is insane.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

The joke's on me I guess because I bought it. But as much as I love the game I'll be leaving it on the backlog.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have a save to share that isn't the crazy one with like 100 million zenny and every single piece of gear in the game? lol that is making not want to play just as much as not having my save.

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What exactly is this CRC thing, Capcom's anti-cheat?
We just know it's a crc check/scanner implemented with Iceborne probably Denuvo related since they announced something like that last year and Monster Hunter allrdy uses Denuvo as it's DRM, the tool posted here suspends those threads to enable modding/cheating again (again carefull with that) and lowers cpu usage because of that.

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
RX5700XT OC
Ryzen 5 2600x
16GB DDR4 3000mhz RAM on a 1TB Samsung Evo 970 Pro NVME.

Getting around 80fps on high settings (Except: AO Low, Shadows Medium, Volumetric Fog off) with TAA and the ultra texture resolution pack installed @ 1440p.

I do notice a slight hitch/hiccup in Astera every little bit, but it is not present out in the game world or the town in Hoarfrost Reach, and shadow quality even if I put it to high still have a strange dithered look to them, totally hideous.

CheeseWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Had a bit of a rough start yesterday but I figured that RTSS was to blame as I had it configured with Custom D3D Support and the game wouldn't even start. Changed that setting, quick switch to DX12 and everything was fine with mostly locked 60fps.

Today I tried upping the res to 1440 and enabling the FidelityFX (0.5). Same framerate with better detail.

I'm on a Ryzen 2600, 1060 6GB, 32 GB DDR4@3000, mx500 SSD, playing on a 55" 4k LG TV.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
We just know it's a crc check/scanner implemented with Iceborne probably Denuvo related since they announced something like that last year and Monster Hunter allrdy uses Denuvo as it's DRM, the tool posted here suspends those threads to enable modding/cheating again (again carefull with that) and lowers cpu usage because of that.

Ah I see, I just asked out of curiosity, because while I don't have any performance issues and my performance actually went up after the patch, I of course wouldn't mind free performance boosting if I still have some left. The only mod I've ever used was the Dualshock 4 icons and that's obsolete now.

XBlade

Oct 26, 2017
Hi! So I've been enjoying the expansion and all the improvements but I got a question. What does the option for water reflections actually do? I've tried toggling it on and off near water surfaces and there is no difference. And besides that I already have nice water reflections thanks to the screen based reflection option. So what does the option water reflections actually do???

OP
OP
.exe

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Hi! So I've been enjoying the expansion and all the improvements but I got a question. What does the option for water reflections actually do? I've tried toggling it on and off near water surfaces and there is no difference. And besides that I already have nice water reflections thanks to the screen based reflection option. So what does the option water reflections actually do???

If you check the DF video in the OP, at a certain point they also say that it's basically nothing, iirc. The one super noticeable thing it does is make the horizon in Astera look kinda weird if you disable it.