• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
dXYU0H1.png

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i'm not happy at all with the perfs.

2080 RTX
Ryzen 3800x
16go ram
1440p

I'm around 60-70 fps with some dips.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
My performance definitely went down without changing anything after Iceborn came out. I had my settings so I had a pretty solid ~60 in most cases but now I can get 30-40 just standing in Research Base or Astera. Haven't tried messing with the settings yet. Tried Dx12 once but the Menu itself was already at ~20fps so didn't even bother clicking play.

I7-6700K
AMD 5700XT
32GB Ram
1440P

I'm on an older driver which was considered more stable though (and ran fine before the expansion) so perhaps that could make a difference. Will definitely check my CPU usage tonight, I know mine's getting pretty dated, just hasn't really been worth upgrading yet :/

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
In my very limited testing, DX12 has similar average framerates, but noticably higher minimum framerates, compared to DX11.

That FidelityFX stuff definitely has a bit of an impact on visuals. Things just generally look more noisy and blocky with it on, but when you're not looking for that it's not very noticeable. It has like a 50% boost to performance, which is really nice.
Yea, as with all reconstruction it's noticeable when you look for it but otherwise fine especially due to framerate boost. In my experience the only games where reconstruction still leads to a razor sharp image with minimal artifacting are the decima games and the Insomniac titles.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like shit at 1080p. Is fidelity FX meant to be for 4k? I don't get it
Reconstruction works better for higher resolution as there is more data to pull in order to rebuild the image. A 1080P target means the data it has to pull from is too low so it's bound to have some noticeable side effects in the manner of artifacting. You have to consider the pros and cons tbh, be side the framerate boost is significant and this isn't really a razer sharp game to begin with even without reconstruction, nor is it a game where you look at details upclose frequently.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter World has always seem like an awfully optimised game to me.
And it sounds like its gotten worse with Iceborne.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Went from 100+ in pretty much any situation, to 60-72 just standing in my house in Astera. Needless to say, I am pretty miffed with this.

1440P
2700X
1080Ti
16GB DDR4@3200.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Reconstruction works better for higher resolution as there is more data to pull in order to rebuild the image. A 1080P target means the data it has to pull from is too low so it's bound to have some noticeable side effects in the manner of artifacting. You have to consider the pros and cons tbh, be side the framerate boost is significant and this isn't really a razer sharp game to begin with even without reconstruction, nor is it a game where you look at details upclose frequently.
I turned on aa and some other settings and I actually don't mind it because the fps is pretty solid compared to without. Tho does that mean source image is like 720p?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I turned on aa and some other settings and I actually don't mind it because the fps is pretty solid compared to without. Tho does that mean source image is like 720p?
Reconstruction should ideally always be used with some form of TAA otherwise it often visibly breaks in motion due to the temporal nature of the technique. I'd recommend you use TAA+FXAA setting for best results and then set the FidelityFX sharpening bar to like 0.4 or 0.5 to make it a bit sharper.

And it all depends on what techniques they use. It's not actually running at that lower resolution and the performance you gain is not equivalent to actually running the game at that resolution. Basically a reconstructed image is far closer to the native appearance and performance of the pixel count it's reconstructed "to" than it is to the pixel count it is reconstructed "from".

The end image is a pixel count of 1:1, there is no upscale blur. But the source image could be 25% lower or 50% lower or something in between. At the end does it really matter if the end result is close enough to not care especially in gameplay? Yes you will know this is not "real" native res but half of the things on screen are already non native res hah. As long as the implementation is decent without too much artifacting, it should be good. The implementation here doesn't compare to some top of the line implementation in terms of how similar it looks to "real" pixel count like in Horizon Zero Dawn, Death Stranding, Spiderman...but it's still pretty decent nonetheless. I'd say it's somewhere around the implementation that Control has in terms of clarity and you do get a massive boost in performance which simply cannot be ignored, especially right now after Iceborne messed up the performance.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
RTX 2080/8700K, 60-70 fps at 1440p maxed, dips to mid-50s in Hoarfrost Reach when a lot of things happen.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like shit at 1080p. Is fidelity FX meant to be for 4k? I don't get it
Yeah, it's meant for very high resolutions like 4K. I'm at 1440p, and my machine struggles to maintain 60 FPS at times with the resolution set to high. I prefer this over lowering the resolution or setting it to be dynamic, which isn't very smooth in this game.

Reconstruction should ideally always be used with some form of TAA otherwise it often visibly breaks in motion due to the temporal nature of the technique. I'd recommend you use TAA+FXAA setting for best results and then set the FidelityFX sharpening bar to like 0.4 or 0.5 to make it a bit sharper.
I don't think the FidelityFX really plays with the rest of the game's rendering, at least in a way it was probably designed to for the best effect. I want to say that the intended order of operations is the recon-upscaling first, then the game's AA is done to the upscaled image, then the sharpening is applied. Whereas here, it seems the scaling and sharpening is done after the image has been rendered and AA'd.

Though granted, Monster Hunter has a unique form of TAA that doesn't actually handle typical edge aliasing. It purely handles temporal aliasing when the image is in movement, and does very little to a still image. I like it for this, it looks really sharp, but FidelityFX and CAS were probably designed with the kind of TAA Unreal 4 has, I.E. the kind that makes the game look like blurry, ghosty soup.
I haven't tried it with the TAA+FXAA setting myself, I'll have to see how that looks.
Is Special K needed anymore?
No, I don't believe so. Performance has been improved quite a bit over time.
As well, I don't know if Special K was updated alongside this game. A while back, I was having game crashes that were solved by removing Special K.

Last edited:

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I want to say I really appreciate how the game now lets you change most every graphics setting in-game. It's really handy.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Ouch, just saw the Steam reviews. I've upgraded my PC between the last time I played and now so I can't say if my performance got worse, but it seems like that's the main complaint people have. I think people would have expected that in the new areas and hub but not the original game's areas. Are there added graphical effects that makes the original areas perform so much worse?

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Ouch, just saw the Steam reviews. I've upgraded my PC between the last time I played and now so I can't say if my performance got worse, but it seems like that's the main complaint people have. I think people would have expected that in the new areas and hub but not the original game's areas. Are there added graphical effects that makes the original areas perform so much worse?

There are new settings for the new area (like snow deformation settings), but overall it just seems like something is borked.

On my 2070 Super I lost a solid 8-10 frames on average. I use to hang out around 70-80 FPS maxed out at 1440p (but with Volumetric rendering on mid) in most situations, now I'm more like 60-70. In the new area I'm more like 55-65, too, so that new area is pretty demanding.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else having an issue in Iceborne with the screen freezing for a few seconds every once in a while? Played more than 200 hours of MHW without this issue at all, but it's been a fairly constant issue since starting Iceborne

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
There are new settings for the new area (like snow deformation settings), but overall it just seems like something is borked.

On my 2070 Super I lost a solid 8-10 frames on average. I use to hang out around 70-80 FPS maxed out at 1440p (but with Volumetric rendering on mid) in most situations, now I'm more like 60-70. In the new area I'm more like 55-65, too, so that new area is pretty demanding.

I really hope it's a bug they can fix, because MHW was such a huge success on Steam but getting hit in reviews this hard is tough to come back from. I hate to see it because even though I was miffed at all my keybinds being changed I was really impressed with how much thought and options they put into the PC version having to go through everything again. Like they actually had people playing this on PC with m/kb and making options and modes to fit everyone, and then a bad perf bug on launch is really going to color the entire thing.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's meant for very high resolutions like 4K. I'm at 1440p, and my machine struggles to maintain 60 FPS at times with the resolution set to high. I prefer this over lowering the resolution or setting it to be dynamic, which isn't very smooth in this game.

I don't think the FidelityFX really plays with the rest of the game's rendering, at least in a way it was probably designed to for the best effect. I want to say that the intended order of operations is the recon-upscaling first, then the game's AA is done to the upscaled image, then the sharpening is applied. Whereas here, it seems the scaling and sharpening is done after the image has been rendered and AA'd.

Though granted, Monster Hunter has a unique form of TAA that doesn't actually handle typical edge aliasing. It purely handles temporal aliasing when the image is in movement, and does very little to a still image. I like it for this, it looks really sharp, but FidelityFX and CAS were probably designed with the kind of TAA Unreal 4 has, I.E. the kind that makes the game look like blurry, ghosty soup.
I haven't tried it with the TAA+FXAA setting myself, I'll have to see how that looks.

No, I don't believe so. Performance has been improved quite a bit over time.
As well, I don't know if Special K was updated alongside this game. A while back, I was having game crashes that were solved by removing Special K.
It sort of doesn't make sense to use reconstruction after TAA as then you make the edges difficult to decipher and the TAA already has kind of a super sampling effect so it would mess with the process of information gathering for reconstruction. Additionally, considering how the TAA works i.e. turns off when still and back on when in motion, it points to evidence that it may be the last thing in the pipeline, unlike what you've said, else it wouldn't be so easy to turn on and off regularly. Then again I've seen weird order of post process applications before.

Regarding FidelityFX, there's always Nvidia sharpening via freestyle tool, which most definitely applies sharpening at the end. You can choose to keep FidelityFX sharpening at 0 and use that instead. That's what I do. Plus I do think the Nvidia sharpening looks better

Also, I want to say I really appreciate how the game now lets you change most every graphics setting in-game. It's really handy.
Yea but the game still needs a restart for silly stuff, it's not as bad as before but still. I don't even think it's an My framework limitation as other games using that engine didn't require a restart.

Last edited:

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
It sort of doesn't make sense to use reconstruction after TAA as then you make the edges difficult to decipher and the TAA already has kind of a super sampling effect so it would mess with the process of information gathering for reconstruction. Additionally, considering how the TAA works i.e. turns off when still and back on when in motion, it points to evidence that it may be the last thing in the pipeline, unlike what you've said, else it wouldn't be so easy to turn on and off regularly. Then again I've seen weird order of post process applications before.

Regarding FidelityFX, there's always Nvidia sharpening via freestyle tool, which most definitely applies sharpening at the end. You can choose to keep FidelityFX sharpening at 0 and use that instead. That's what I do. Plus I do think the Nvidia sharpening looks better
Yeah, you're probably right. Going by some documentation here, it does seem like FidelityFX is essentially meant to be tacked on at the end of post processing. Though I do still think Monster Hunter doesn't use it right, it definitely seems to be made for games that look super soft.
I'll have to try Nvidia's sharpening. Though the last time I used it, it made my screen look like it was vibrating for some weird reason.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you're probably right. Going by some documentation here, it does seem like FidelityFX is essentially meant to be tacked on at the end of post processing. Though I do still think Monster Hunter doesn't use it right, it definitely seems to be made for games that look super soft.
I'll have to try Nvidia's sharpening. Though the last time I used it, it made my screen look like it was vibrating for some weird reason.
Tbh I think MHW is an incredibly soft looking game with the TAA engaged.

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game runs better for me, gained like 10fps in 4k, game use to range around 58-low 60s in the hub and now its 70s. Game feels smoother than before.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer FXAA instead of TAA in this game, TAA softens the image way too much and makes the game look like it's running at sub-native res. FXAA seems to be just as effective or close enough at removing jaggies, while not nearly blurring the entire image as much.

TAA defeats the purpose of the high resolution texture pack IMO.

Back up your save files before starting MHW after expansion patch
OP
OP
.exe

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey, this thread is back in action. I'll update the OP a bit later tonight or in the morning with relevant info and what's been posted already!

For now, be sure to make a backup of your save data before booting up the game post-Iceborne patch. There's a bug going around that deletes your save entirely and it won't be recoverable from the cloud. You can find your save files here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\[STEAM ID]\582010\remote

(Or under whatever drive/sub-folder Steam is installed)

Last edited:

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I prefer FXAA instead of TAA in this game, TAA softens the image way too much and makes the game look like it's running at sub-native res. FXAA seems to be just as effective or close enough at removing jaggies, while not nearly blurring the entire image as much.

TAA defeats the purpose of the high resolution texture pack IMO.

I find both look pretty bad in this game. MHW is one of the few games I just run with no AA.

Krigaren

Oct 25, 2017
I think I also got a decent boost in performance. 1070, 9700k@5hgz on Windows 10. Running DX12 - high at 1440p with occasional dips to 55 fps in hectic battles in the new snow area.

fluffy pillow

Sep 12, 2018
Ryzen 3600, RX580. With everything maxed except for Volume Rendering (set to variable) I get at least ~50fps at 1080p, which is within the freesync range of my monitor, but I've actually turned the upscaling on because it still looks pretty sharp and it gets it more or less to a 72fps lock in Hoarfrost. Very happy with this.

fluffy pillow

Sep 12, 2018
Nice. Are you running DX12? I seemed to have a pretty nice uplift on my RX 570 compared to the base game using that API.
Yep. Didn't even try launching it in DX11, just switched DX12 straight on.

Even without the upscaling+sharpening enabled, I noticed a small performance improvement in the vanilla hub and zones, but in the new snowy area the choice was either enable upscaling or start turning the settings down if I wanted to stay nearly 72fps.

edit: my partner's Ryzen 2600+RX570 combo also runs 1080p at 50-60fps in the new areas without upscaling, and locked 60 with upscaling.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
ryzen 3700x
5700xt
newest drivers
2560 x 1080
getting a a good 90 - 105 fps with nearly everything max but the volumetric rendering thingy, which i dislike the look of anyways, depending on the area.

i did notice however, that the effluvia effect seems a bit borked. i don't have a screenshot at hand, but when i entered rotten valley it seemed like the mist/fog has suddenly very visible banding in iceborn, which it did not have before

game runs buttery smooth on the field, tho sometimes in the main hub there will be a weird stuter/physics bug every few seconds where all the weapons and physic objects seem to waggle a little and the game freezes for a second. its weird but a reload fixes it and it goes away after awhile. this is with dx12 on

what is this fidelity cas thing? should i turn off aa and use that instead?

Oct 27, 2017
Yes and also any time you start to walk. It's linked to an animation. The game has been broken like this for a long time. Very frustrating.
Is that why I get weird stuttery frame drops, but it feels like only during movement and not really as much during combat?
It doesn't happen at all in the in-game cutscenes.
It's annoying but I'll feel so much better if I know there's nothing I can do about it.
[EDIT]
Yup, that's what it is. I get a spike on the frametime chart whenever I start moving AND whenever I sprint lol.

I'm finding that GSync seems to not function in HDR mode. Anybody else out there using gsync with HDR? Maybe it's some wierd borderless mode and not actually exclusive fullscreen?

Last edited:

dragonlife

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting a weird bug in the file select screen. After holding down on the d-pad for a bit, I seem to go off into the void where selections disappear. I'm still on rails and only move up and down, but stuff is just gone. Can anyone else replicate this?

Mid-post update: Didn't hold down at all, loaded my file while being able to see the UI after a restart, loaded into Astera and then the whole HUD/UI was gone, but I was still selecting things on an invisible UI.

Ugh...

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Haven't gotten to the iceborne content yet, but I'm like a 99% locked 60FPS at 1440p, all settings maxed except volumetric (which is set to Variable).

Haven't tried upscaling yet, might turn it on later if Hoarfrost requires it. My specs are as follows:

Ryzen 9 3900x, 32GB 3200c14 DDR4, Vega 56 OC'd to 1650/950, running off an NVMe SSD.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
I find both look pretty bad in this game. MHW is one of the few games I just run with no AA.

Really? I was flipping between all of the options (easy to do in the menu in-game) and I find that FXAA retains a lot of the detail as if AA were off. TAA just wrecks any fine detail and looks blurry, while not even doing as good of a job removing jaggies. It's a lose/lose with TAA in MHW imo.

Yes and also any time you start to walk. It's linked to an animation. The game has been broken like this for a long time. Very frustrating.

Yeah I hate this bug! And what sucks is that it wasn't even like this until one of the content patches introduced it and it was never fixed. Was hoping Iceborne expansion would fix it, but nah. If you're sensitive to frame-rate hikes, its terrible. Especially if you go from running animation > sprint animation and back on and off a lot, the animation transitions cause an instant drop by like 2 frames for a split second each time. Kills an otherwise smooth running game.