• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Oddly, while it's been pretty much fine otherwise (since dusting my machine out), during a battle with the Azure Rathalos with two of my buds, all of my CPU cores shot to 100% and my temps instanly jumped up by 10+ degrees. My CPU also clocked down to 280MHz, causing the game to stall.
I fixed it by moving in the area to reduce the load a little then limiting the FPS in-game to cool off the CPU quicker, but that was insanely weird. Again, it's been totally fine otherwise, I just want to know what that was about.

Also, does Teostra basically destroy anyone else's frames when he does his big explosion? The particles on that thing are INSANE and drop me from about 70 fps to 20 for a moment when he does his (OHKO?) explosion.

Turnpulse

Apr 9, 2018
Can anybody test this?

When I change the frame limit in-game from 60 to no limit I get much longer loading times. Vsync is on and I'm playing on a 60hz TV.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, with a i5 4460 and a GTX 970, should I just get this on PS4?

It's not like the game is superior on PS4, frame rates are all over the place there too, visuals aren't mindblowing either, loading times are long and there is even no way on ps4 to lock the fps to 30. The biggest pro for PS4 is: The netcode seems to be working there, but I'm currently confident that they'll fix it on PC... (though it's taking pretty long currently!)
Performance wise you will get similar performance to a PS4Pro, most probably. But you can lock fps to 30 or tweak settings to get at least closer to the 60 experience.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Do lightning effects create the same framedrops on the PS? How about Elder Recess?

If the answer is yes, then its looking very dim for PC optimization efforts

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Do lightning effects create the same framedrops on the PS? How about Elder Recess?

If the answer is yes, then its looking very dim for PC optimization efforts
I didn't play the console versions but I never saw anyone complain about random framedrops like on PC. They need and hopefully will do something about lightning weapons and players being across the map causing issues.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like the game is superior on PS4, frame rates are all over the place there too, visuals aren't mindblowing either, loading times are long and there is even no way on ps4 to lock the fps to 30. The biggest pro for PS4 is: The netcode seems to be working there, but I'm currently confident that they'll fix it on PC... (though it's taking pretty long currently!)
Performance wise you will get similar performance to a PS4Pro, most probably. But you can lock fps to 30 or tweak settings to get at least closer to the 60 experience.

Yeah I'm on a 970 and it's a choice between mostly 30 fps at 1440p with mid/high settings, or 50-60 fps at 1080p with big drops when things get crazy. But 1080p is blurry as hell in this game on my monitor for some reason.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm on a 970 and it's a choice between mostly 30 fps at 1440p with mid/high settings, or 50-60 fps at 1080p with big drops when things get crazy. But 1080p is blurry as hell in this game on my monitor for some reason.

Because GPU vendors refuse to fucking fix it with proper scaling.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I was the only one. I use the Clear Hunter reshade preset, help bring into focus the image better and make it easier to see shit.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
PS4 Pro has dips into the single digits when fighting Kush.

Hmmm. I'm the first one to criticize CAPCOM for their poor optimization, but I have serious doubts regarding that statement. From the video I've watched of this fight (exhibit A- PS4 Pro), the framerate never dips so low, even when there are 3 tornadoes on the battlefield (see the 21min mark). Granted, we do not have a FPS counter on this video, but there is nothing that seems to validate that hyperbolic statement.
I'd like to see evidence to support your claim if you can provide it.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm. I'm the first one to criticize CAPCOM for their poor optimization, but I have serious doubts regarding that statement. From the video I've watched of this fight (exhibit A- PS4 Pro), the framerate never dips so low, even when there are 3 tornadoes on the battlefield (see the 21min mark). Granted, we do not have a FPS counter on this video, but there is nothing that seems to validate that hyperbolic statement.
I'd like to see evidence to support your claim if you can provide it.
Look for Kush in the Ancient Forest and 4 players. That's important. The rain, the wind and 4 players kills the PS4 Pro.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
On an SSD it is basically instant to go into a Misson

The notification to start the mission makes a sound even before the quest accepted pop up goes away on my system.

Its really nice. When on my laptop it takes a second or two longer but tons faster than it was on PS4 Pro with a SSHD installed.

I wonder how much time I wasted on waiting for loading screens on PS4.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The textures on the Monsters in this game are a muddled mess... Is it because of the texture issues. Like it's atrocious. It's especially bad when you skinning them.

OP
OP
.exe

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The performance has been rocky but coming off of the 3DS entries it's still a lot better. In any other game I'd be a bit miffed about how bad it looks versus how it performs.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Kaldaien stopped working on Monster Hunter, because he got fed up with Capcom's "Anti-debug code". Sasuga Japanese devs.
I've been reading the Steam thread a bit and some of the things that are going on in the PC port are just baffling:
- game doesn't detect number of cores properly and just assumes everyone has 32-core processors
- even when limiting the amount of cores the game sees, 25% of the entire CPU workload is simply overhead because the game has so many threads (over 100) that 25% of the time is just the Kernel managing those
- game has 1 main thread dedicated solely to their "Anti-debug code" that crashes the game when it detects interference and essentially wastes a good chunk of an entire core while making work for modders harder and making the game more unstably (apparently Nvidia Ansel can crash the game because of that)

What is it you doing Capcpom

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like Kaldaien stopped working on Monster Hunter, because he got fed up with Capcom's "Anti-debug code". Sasuga Japanese devs.
I've been reading the Steam thread a bit and some of the things that are going on in the PC port are just baffling:
- game doesn't detect number of cores properly and just assumes everyone has 32-core processors
- even when limiting the amount of cores the game sees, 25% of the entire CPU workload is simply overhead because the game has so many threads (over 100) that 25% of the time is just the Kernel managing those
- game has 1 main thread dedicated solely to their "Anti-debug code" that crashes the game when it detects interference and essentially wastes a good chunk of an entire core while making work for modders harder and making the game more unstably (apparently Nvidia Ansel can crash the game because of that)

... Charming.

Well, a patch seems to be in the works. Let's see when they will release it. Time to focus on everything on my backlog in the meantime.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
... Charming.

Well, a patch seems to be in the works. Let's see when they will release it. Time to focus on everything on my backlog in the meanwhile.
Yeah, I'm doing the same. I played a few hours on launch, but I can't get a somewhat stable 1080p60 that doesn't look like ass working, so I went back to Yakuza 0 hoping that they'll patch it in the meantime.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, the protection on the executable is annoying. Sb requested a true raw value mod, I found the modifiers. Tough luck, they are in the exe and the game will crash right on launch even if you modify shitty small stuff like that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
.exe

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when we were talking about this game possibly being very moddable in the Steam release announcement thread? That was nice.

If Kaldaien fixed the mess that was Nier but called it quits on MHW, that's something... Vuze, please don't give up! You're doing great work.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when we were talking about this game possibly being very moddable in the Steam release announcement thread? That was nice.

If Kaldaien fixed the mess that was Nier but called it quits on MHW, that's something... Vuze, please don't give up! You're doing great work.
Appreciate it and I have a bunch of stuff planned that is all very much doable within the constraints of not touching the exe (as long as they don't remove the nativePC loading function which I have a suspicion is a dev leftover).
But if they even go as far as deliberately removing that, I won't bother anymore either. And I'm sure nobody else will because having to repack + recompress the modified file and then reload the game instead of just editing a file and (depending on the file) simply re-loading a save or area, is almost console-level of annoyance in terms of modding.

One of the reasons I'm anticipating a patch (aside from the freaking horrible texture loading they still haven't even acknowledged) is to see if they will remove the scanning of the nativePC folder.

Oct 29, 2017
I just picked dis up,been reading loads of people have performance issues? Im not really seeing that at all.I feel like people have crazy expectations of midrange hardware honestly

I just turned off volumetric fog(it looks awful,never-mind the performance hit) and both AO and LOD to mid with locked res(1080P) and i im holding 100+ fps in the starting town(here im getting cpu bound for some reason) and 80-100 in the first quest area with a 4770k and 980ti dis is on the newest supposedly bugged river.

By far and and a way the biggest problem this game has is actually doing quests/events with your friends,its maybe the most unintiative system i ever experienced,how the hell did they not improve that functionality for PC?

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina

Capcom really needs to get it the fuck together. Waited months for this port and the promise of the best PC port possible. What a joke. Been over a week and still no date for the patch to fix the disconnects or anything. Just a post saying they know its an issue and are working on it. Like are they really gonna have the disconnect issue fix any time soon or will the online be bullshit for 2 or 3 more weeks? Then after that how long before the game stops running like shit for no good reason?

Also I love that they used Denuvo because they are scared of piracy and the game has sold at least 2 million in its first week. If they want to do it right get rid of that shit and let the community sort it out if you can't.

OP
OP
.exe

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Appreciate it and I have a bunch of stuff planned that is all very much doable within the constraints of not touching the exe (as long as they don't remove the nativePC loading function which I have a suspicion is a dev leftover).
But if they even go as far as deliberately removing that, I won't bother anymore either. And I'm sure nobody else will because having to repack + recompress the modified file and then reload the game instead of just editing a file and (depending on the file) simply re-loading a save or area, is almost console-level of annoyance in terms of modding.

One of the reasons I'm anticipating a patch (aside from the freaking horrible texture loading they still haven't even acknowledged) is to see if they will remove the scanning of the nativePC folder.

Fingers and toes crossed then! Because I don't see Capcom adding as many QOL options as the mod community could.

Oct 25, 2017
Ive been eyeing this out for a while now-is the port really that bad or are people just having single user issues that arent widespread?

I ask because most games have a lot of "fuck this port its shit" etc etc but they work fine for me *shrug*. Like in the Yakuza thread for example.

Or are there actually widespread issues that, no matter the config, are happening for everyone?

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ive been eyeing this out for a while now-is the port really that bad or are people just having single user issues that arent widespread?

I ask because most games have a lot of "fuck this port its shit" etc etc but they work fine for me *shrug*. Like in the Yakuza thread for example.

Or are there actually widespread issues that, no matter the config, are happening for everyone?
so it's one of the weirdest ports ive ever seen

I have a 1060 with an i7 7700k and 16 gigs of ram, I get a constant 60 frames in mostly high settings, except for random times I get random frame drops

My gfs computer with a 670 and an i5 3500k with 8 gigs of ram can run the game fine at 30 frames incredibly smoothly

the games has an incredibly hard time running at 60 frames, if having dips every once in a while makexs you upset, then it's not a good port.

I think most people are upset by the broken multiplayer.

Oct 25, 2017
so it's one of the weirdest ports ive ever seen

I have a 1060 with an i7 7700k and 16 gigs of ram, I get a constant 60 frames in mostly high settings, except for random times I get random frame drops

My gfs computer with a 670 and an i5 3500k with 8 gigs of ram can run the game fine at 30 frames incredibly smoothly

the games has an incredibly hard time running at 60 frames, if having dips every once in a while makexs you upset, then it's not a good port.

I think most people are upset by the broken multiplayer.

Could you please state what resolution both these configs are on? Framerate/settings are mostly useless without resolution information. Thanks!

I do not care for multi thankfully though. I have 8770 1080ti but from what ive seen i can forget about 4k60? Even with toning down some settings?

Menome

Oct 25, 2017

I've got an AMD Ryzen 5 Six Core 1600X 4.00GHz CPU, 8GB 1070 GTX, 16GB DDR4 RAM and I can't get it to run at a locked 60fps at 1080p on Middle-range settings when I can get that at High on better-looking games. I'm enjoying the game as it's my first ever Monster Hunter, but it's been badly optimised.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could you please state what resolution both these configs are on? Framerate/settings are mostly useless without resolution information. Thanks!

I do not care for multi thankfully though. I have 8770 1080ti but from what ive seen i can forget about 4k60? Even with toning down some settings?
1080p for both sorry about that

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This games performance is about to send it down to the negative bracket in user ratings.

I'm loving the game, but it is ridiculously infuriating how taxing this thing is and we STILL don't have proper textures.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales

Ah balls but makes sense for him to not waste time on something which could be fixed in a patch or he can never get anywhere because of it. I really hope Capcom don't do a Square and listen to the PC community and change how MHW is because the game is selling and being played by loads (still 300k 24 hour peek). But then again, Japanese devs are gonna do what Japanese devs do.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017

I really wish they had just handed the port to whoever brought Dragons Dogma to PC.