• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Question about AA: Is there a way to get past the terrible in-game implementation of AA with something like Nvidia Inspector? Are there any tweak guides that use outside programs like that out yet?

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, that doesn't prove anything because you haven't taken the screenshot with an external, hardware tool that is recording what's on your screen. Instead you've used a software that is putting out whatever is in your buffer. The think about TAA is: It's using and sampling information of consecutive "pictures". That information is missing in your capture and therefore an incorrect representation of TAA.
Pictures taken with tools like Shadowplay, Fraps, Afterburner etc always make TAA look worse then it is because of this.
To really check the difference you'd have to compare two videos. One with and one without TAA, both without compression.

TyMiles2012

Mar 26, 2018
So I'll throw in my two cents.

Specs:
  • Ryzen 7 1700
  • Radeon R9 390X
  • 16GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
  • Samsung SSD (Game Installation)
A very rough estimate on my performance, but I get about 70 to 85fps average. (I've seen it go up to 85 to 95 on the actual maps you hunt in) Frame rate is very consistent, lowest I've seen the frame rate go was maybe 59 but it never stayed that low. Load times were amazing, I probably wouldn't touch the PS4 version ever again for that reason lol. CPU is pretty good from what I've seen, average usage per thread is about 35 to 55% with a few outliers, so it seems the workload is distributed very well across every single thread. Also a note, despite AMD's release notes, FreeSync works perfectly fine in borderless window. The problem is in exclusive fullscreen mode, but performance was near equal across both modes. Using Borderless because I have 2 displays.

APoFU4S.png

Settings:
  • Framerate: No Limit
  • V-Sync: Off
  • Resolution Scaling: High
  • Texture Quality: Full
  • Ambient Occlusion: Mid
  • Volume Rendering Quality: Off
  • Anti-Aliasing: TAA (FXAA same performance)
  • LOD Bias: Variable
  • Max LOD Level: No Limit
  • Foliage Sway: On
  • Subsurface Scattering: On
  • Screen Space Reflection: On
  • Anisotropic Filtering: High
  • Water Reflection: On
  • SH Diffuse Quality: Low
  • Dynamic Range: 32-bit (No clue what this setting does, mentioned luminance so I'm guessing it's HDR)
  • Z-Prepass: On
Also, not my post, I thought it would be interesting to share. Redditor /u/Vahron got it running on Linux through Wine using DXVK. Very respectable performance for the specs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/95zfzh/monster_hunter_world_works_fine_with_dxvk/

Last edited:

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
Things I don't like.
Changing resolution or window/fullscreen requires a restart. Feels like a holdover from the console version.
Black bars on the sides when running at 1440p.
Textures are mudded/drab. I was hoping that we an HD texture pack or something.
TAA is crap
Widescreen is stretched ;(

Are you using an ultrawide screen?

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Game uses Temporal AA on highest settings. It's very effective at preventing shimmering, jaggies and other imperfections in games but will make the game a bit more blurry. It's a worthwhile tradeoff imo, but not everybody likes it.
You can either turn AA off entirely or try FXAA (which isn't as effective as TAA, but should make the game a bit less blurry) or try to inject a post process sharpening filter with reshade. But be warned: If there is an anti cheating software active in MHW it might think that reshade is a cheating software. I also do not know if reshades works with MHW in the first place.
I like TAA but its actually straight up garbage in this game.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Dynamic Range.. I need a direct comparison because it is about 6-9fps decrease on 64-bit.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I want to see more examples of Volume Rendering outside of the fog in the starting area.

You could argue one way or the other about how that fog looks good/bad, but am I going to be missing out on cool effects in later areas if I turn it off?

Last edited:

DAOWAce

Jan 6, 2018
US East
Yeah, that doesn't prove anything because you haven't taken the screenshot with an external,
I used my eyes ingame. It looks identical to the shot taken from Afterburner. This was the reason I responded, because I knew TAA barely did anything. Went to get screenshots after reading your post.

Test yourself. If you get different results, then it's clear the implementation is broken in some way. Also, they are lossless PNG

Lots of screenshots of Volume rendering on High, but none on low? Why?
I haven't seen any difference between the options. Low to High all look identical. It only changes when switched off.

Dynamic Range: 32-bit (No clue what this setting does, mentioned luminance so I'm guessing it's HDR)
HDR is still off in my config.ini file while 64bit is enabled.

I've not actually tried enabling it because, well, I don't have an HDR display!

Anyone able to test this?

Last edited:

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
My guess would be that you need to enable 64 bit dynamic range and change HDR to "On" in the config.ini in order to get HDR ingame.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
So im not sure if a setting effects it but does it look like the rain only renders like a foot away from your character? Its kinda like there is a rain cloud above my character and my character alone.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I've not updated my drivers in several versions, but overall I'm getting acceptable performance: 60 fps with the occasional 1-5 fps drop when the GPU goes over budget. Overall not really perceptible with Gsync.

Graphics settings:
Resolution set to 3440x1440 (so really rendering 2560x1440 with pillarboxing)
'Resolution Scaling' set to 'High'
Framerate cap disabled in-game, 60 fps cap enabled via RTSS
All settings maxed except for the 'Volume Rendering' set to 'Off' and 'SH Diffuse Quality' set to 'Mid'

Hardware:
GTX 1080 8GB
i5-8400 @ 3.8 GHz
Installed on an SSD
32 GB DDR4

Honestly I thought I would be in the camp of having Volume Rendering on, but after playing for a few hours I really prefer the way the game looks with it off. It's not just the blue tint that everything gets, but all of the fog seems too bright for my tastes, and the game looks a bit washed out as a result.

koji

Oct 28, 2017
The whole game doesn't look very thrilling in the first place.

Yeah it looks better/sharper on my One X, probably the textures or the X supersampling down to 1080p. It runs waaaaaaay better now though, a joy to play. Couldn't stand the fluctuating framerate on my Xbone.

Also want to chime in on the AA options being rubbish, first I thought it was my monitor ghosting...

Lorcain

Oct 27, 2017
You may have to untick 'use the Big Picture Overlay when using a Steam Input enabled controller from the desktop' to get it to show, as this game seemed to default to BPO for me when I first played it, and I'm not sure if BPO supports the FPS counter.
Thank you so much for this. I couldn't understand why my Steam in game FPS counter wasn't showing up. It was exactly this. Now I can commence tweaking.

ins1

Jul 25, 2018
I can confirm that running older 398.36 NVIDIA drivers give nice fps boost.
Places, where was 60 fps, now 68, where was 75 - up to 90!
My rig: i5 4690,1070, 16gb ddr3, w10.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, I'm fairly sure it's 100% placebo. From the reddit guy's screenshots, the fps difference is only due to the rendered scene/camera position.
Absolutely not. Pushed my game at least 10-15 FPS at all times. I used to be at 45 max on the city now it hovers around 60. I get 50 in the ancient forest with drops and 55-60 everywhere else. ItsI 100% not placebo.

1060 6GB and CPU is I5-3570k non OC

OP
OP
.exe

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Didn't see any significant differences between the two drivers. This was on 970/4690k/16gb ram. Went back a second time to test in a different area. Same thing.

Would be interested to see some of the people who rolled back their drivers update them to the latest version again to check if performance benefits persist or not.

Last edited:

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I just downgraded to that myself and also got a performance increase, but part of the process was using that Display Driver Uninstaller program, which might have been the actual cause rather than the older driver. Unfortunately my constant hitching/freezing issue, which had fixed itself last night, came back in full force making the game borderline unplayable. I'm going to try uninstalling the old driver and reinstalling the new one to see what the difference is with the DDU program accounted for.

Aeson

Jan 4, 2018
These textures are terrible. I don't remember the textures looking so bad on the PS4 version.

ins1

Jul 25, 2018
I just downgraded to that myself and also got a performance increase, but part of the process was using that Display Driver Uninstaller program, which might have been the actual cause rather than the older driver. Unfortunately my constant hitching/freezing issue, which had fixed itself last night, came back in full force making the game borderline unplayable. I'm going to try uninstalling the old driver and reinstalling the new one to see what the difference is with the DDU program accounted for.
Maybe, I used DDU too. Didn't have any freezes or hitches on both drivers though.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Has nothing to do with everything being blue, the whole atmosphere is gone if you turn it off, even fog. From the rockpapershotgun article:
volume rendering quality off
20180809104058_1.jpg

volume rendering quality high
20180809104040_1.jpg
Without "fog" game looks like past-gen title (horrible image quality does not help either)

Oct 29, 2017
Not a performance issue but the sound in this game is extremely off. I use headphones and the sound is super quiet with the sliders at 100. The only way to make it tolerable is to change the sound to narrow range. I wish I didn't have to though, after all wide range should shine on headphones! I should add that this is the only game that has this problem for me.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Is 1440p 60 FPS doable for me?
i7 6700k 4.2 GHz
GTX 1070
16 GB DDR4 RAM

I don't mind dropping some settings as long as it still looks nice

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Not a performance issue but the sound in this game is extremely off. I use headphones and the sound is super quiet with the sliders at 100. The only way to make it tolerable is to change the sound to narrow range. I wish I didn't have to though, after all wide range should shine on headphones! I should add that this is the only game that has this problem for me.

I switched 3d audio off, put the audio mode to tv (although I have headphones) and put the sound range to narroq and now I can hear everything super well. Yeah I obviously would prefer immersive good 3d audio but Ill take flat audio that I can discern everything going super clearly over half the sound effect being unhearable although the source of the sound is close to my character.

OP
OP
.exe

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Audio seems fine on my end. I play it with the wide setting, headphones, and 3D audio. I do have Windows Sonic on, but I don't know if it's even compatible with this.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Yeah, that doesn't prove anything because you haven't taken the screenshot with an external, hardware tool that is recording what's on your screen. Instead you've used a software that is putting out whatever is in your buffer. The think about TAA is: It's using and sampling information of consecutive "pictures". That information is missing in your capture and therefore an incorrect representation of TAA.
Pictures taken with tools like Shadowplay, Fraps, Afterburner etc always make TAA look worse then it is because of this.
To really check the difference you'd have to compare two videos. One with and one without TAA, both without compression.

Just wanted to say thanks for explaining this. I always wondered why my R6 Siege looks so dang good in-game with TAA, yet the moment I screenshot jaggies come out. Now I know! :D
===============

I've had the digital deluxe version pre-ordered and installed for a while now, but I think I'll wait for the next batch of Nvidia drivers and ReShade results before starting this up.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So I rolled back to 398.36 and noticed better performance on my 2500k @4.5 and Titan X. Less heat as well on the gpu.

I think I'm gonna settle for no AA since the AA solutions in this game are just bad. Turned Volumetric on Low for added atmosphere. It also helps mask the no AA :p

Lorcain

Oct 27, 2017
Without "fog" game looks like past-gen title (horrible image quality does not help either)
I would love to run volumetric rendering, but my PC just doesn't have the juice to do it with a good framerate, at least not on my 1440p display (i6700 980ti).

Do the console versions use volumetric rendering? It seems so from the screenshots and vids I've seen. I wonder what the ps4 Pro and Xbox One X settings are for it.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
I would love to run volumetric rendering, but my PC just doesn't have the juice to do it with a good framerate, at least not on my 1440p display (i6700 980ti).

Do the console versions use volumetric rendering? It seems so from the screenshots and vids I've seen. I wonder what the ps4 Pro and Xbox One X settings are for it.
Hopefully DF will enlighten us =)
Meanwhile you can try to se VR to low or variable..

D65

Oct 26, 2017
So I rolled back to 398.36 and noticed better performance on my 2500k @4.5 and Titan X. Less heat as well on the gpu.

I think I'm gonna settle for no AA since the AA solutions in this game are just bad. Turned Volumetric on Low for added atmosphere. It also helps mask the no AA :p

i cba to roll back, i'll wait for a new driver
and seriously this game is REALLY hotter than synthetic tests like wtf

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Just bit the bullet, downloading (and rolling back drivers) as we speak. I'll chime in once I'm in game.

Laptop:

GTX 1070
i7 6820HK
32GB DDR4
2x 1TB SSD

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Everything on highest except Volumetric Lighting (Low) and haven't seen a drop below 90@1080p

i9-7920X @ 4.6GHz
32GB DDR4
GTX 1080Ti

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Tested the 398.36 and 398.82 drivers against each other. The .36 drivers ran worse for me by about 4-5 fps at the same lighting conditions.

FPS on 398.36: 57-58fps
FPS on 398.82: 59fps

FPS on 398.36: 56-57fps
FPS on 398.82: 60-61fps

(I chose this weird angle because it was the most intensive part of this perch. I also got it as close as possible between both versions.)
FPS on 398.36: 42fps
FPS on 398.82: 47-48fps

This is on a 980/4790k/16gb ram/SSD setup at 1080 with volumetrics off and no AA.

So yea, I think I'll be sticking with the updated drivers.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah whatever the issue is, it seems to be with the 10-series.

The majority of 9-series reports I've seen are in .82's favor.

Turnpulse

Apr 9, 2018
My Specs:

[email protected] / 1080Ti slight oc / 16GB RAM 3600Mhz / SSD / 398.82

My settings:

• Resolution 3840x2160
  • Framerate: 60
  • V-Sync: ON
  • Resolution Scaling: Med
  • Texture Quality: Full
  • Ambient Occlusion: Mid
  • Volume Rendering Quality: Off
  • Anti-Aliasing: TSAA (swapped in for FXAA since it removes more AA while moving)
  • LOD Bias: High
  • Max LOD Level: No Limit
  • Foliage Sway: On
  • Subsurface Scattering: On
  • Screen Space Reflection: On
  • Anisotropic Filtering: High
  • Water Reflection: On
  • SH Diffuse Quality: Low
  • Dynamic Range: 32-bit
  • Z-Prepass: On
Whats important here is that my target was 60 fps with 4kish resolution. You can see the difference between Scaling Med and High but its good enough for what it seems is a rock solid 60fps.
I HATE the fog thing and disabled it. Hated it hard on PS4 and im glad its gone. SH Diffuse is just not worth the performance impact IMO. FXAA looks better for me on an 65inch OLED. Maybe its another thing on monitor.

Ill test now if Dynamic Range 64 is HDR. :P

Edit: its not. No clue what it does. :-\

second edit: since im a masochist ill test this driver rumor...

Last edited: