• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
my game starts up with small black bars on each side every time. I have to go to optinos, switch to windowed borderless and back to fullscreen to fix it. That means 2 restarts. Not too happy. 1440p

OP
OP
.exe

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, I'm fairly sure it's 100% placebo. From the reddit guy's screenshots, the fps difference is only due to the rendered scene/camera position.

Yeah, that's usually my expectation when I see things like this floating around. Figured it might make the rounds here as well, so I thought I'd get ahead of it and try to hedge the accuracy of these claims as much as possible.

What's the best way to track my FPS?

Download MSI Afterburner (see OP) and enable the on-screen-display (aka OSD) from the settings menu (tick the settings you want to see and be sure to find what your button shortcut to turning it on is). Alternatively (and simpler), go to Steam > Settings > In-Game. There, go to the drop down box titled 'in-game FPS counter' and select where you'd like to have it shown. You may have to untick 'use the Big Picture Overlay when using a Steam Input enabled controller from the desktop' to get it to show, as this game seemed to default to BPO for me when I first played it, and I'm not sure if BPO supports the FPS counter.

Last edited:
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60GHz
GPU: ASUS ROG-Strix GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
RAM: 16GB DDR4

I was hoping this would be enough to run the game well at 1080p with everything cranked, so I was happy as hell to see it run without any perceptible drops at 60 fps. My computer also has a hard drive equipped with Intel Optane, so I'm geting close to SSD speeds of access, resulting in a game that's loading about as fast as it would if it were one of the 3DS installments. Really impressed overall, even if I think the game could certainly do with a big texture pack.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
With my i5 8400 and GTX 1060 6GB, I ended settling for these settings:

qkUIIa6.png

Getting mostly 60fps in the forest with occasional small drops to around 57~59 in what seemed to be a rather demanding part of the map (cave with Jagras).

Rams

Dec 13, 2017
Observations from a couple of hours of playing/tweaking. Most are already said in this thread in one way or another, but hey, no harm in confirmations I guess.

-Super heavy on the CPU. I have a 6700k @ 4.4 and just maintaining 60fps at certain locations leads to around 90-95% usage.
-Most settings seem to have a rather minimal impact on FPS, and the ones that do are not described very well. Really want a proper guide with comparison shots and benchmarks for this one. You do get to see how the graphics change on the background as you toggle the options, but things like Volume Rendering - which has a large impact on performance - didn't seem to change anything in the locations I happened to be standing when tweaking.
-Framepacing is good. If my FPS is sufficient, everything is well.
-Asset stream stutters are there, but minimal when running from a 960 Pro. Of course with slower drives YMMV.
-Both AA solutions are rather bad. FXAA looks bad, TAA doesn't look much better and has a significant performance hit.
-I ended up running the game locked to 60, as this allowed me to max out the settings without AA for what, at least for now, appears to be a rock solid lock on 60.

6700k @ 4.4, GTX1080Ti OC, 16 gigs DDR4/2400, Samsung 960Pro for both system and game, Win10.
1440p / gsync

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Does it downscale well on weaker systems? My laptop is 6 years old so I'm gonna need a new one for work in a few months.
And I wouldn't mind playing World on it. I don't care about graphics as long as it's 60fps.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
-Most settings seem to have a rather minimal impact on FPS, and the ones that do are not described very well. Really want a proper guide with comparison shots and benchmarks for this one. You do get to see how the graphics change on the background as you toggle the options, but things like Volume Rendering - which has a large impact on performance - didn't seem to change anything in the locations I happened to be standing when tweaking.
So far I've noticed a place where each volume rendering option makes a difference, when starting a quest in the forest, when leaving the camp towards the open area, the fog in front of the trees leaves and branches is rather "blocky" when volume rendering is set to low.
It's especially noticeable if it's raining, but it's something that is only noticeable in motion, it's probably not noticeable through screenshots.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone tell me what settings I would be able to play on with 60fps at 1080p? My specs:
Gtx 1070
i7-8700
16gb 2666MHz

Oct 27, 2017
MSI laptop I got in April is running like a champ. Although I haven't played that much or did any monster fighting yet, I can run it on high with no stuttering so far.

like I mentioned above I left the display settings at high and whatever the default it is for that setting. I believe the Volume Rendering Quality option is set to off as well.

MSI GP63 laptop:
8th Gen Core I7-8750H Processor
16GB RAM
Nvidia 1060 6GB video card
1080p FHD screen.

not at the highest setting but it looks great.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
980 ti oc, i5 8600k @4.8, 16gb ddr4 ram and the games loaded on an SSD. Everything on high/full with tsaa I'm getting 66-90 fps @1080p on driver 391.24

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What's up with the weird texturing? Namely when creating a character when you change background it looks like it is suppose to render something but instead it's a blurred texture.

Also please tell me there is an ini change for mouse smoothing. Whoever thought this was great is as idiotic as they come. Yeah it is Monster Hunter and controller is superior but bloody hell this is just ridiculous with the smoothing and weird camera turn restraints.

I'll post full details tomorrow when I get a chance but on 1070 with Ryzen 7 1700 and 16GB DDR4, runs smooth as butter.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
What's up with the weird texturing? Namely when creating a character when you change background it looks like it is suppose to render something but instead it's a blurred texture.

Also please tell me there is an ini change for mouse smoothing. Whoever thought this was great is as idiotic as they come. Yeah it is Monster Hunter and controller is superior but bloody hell this is just ridiculous with the smoothing and weird camera turn restraints.

I'll post full details tomorrow when I get a chance but on 1070 with Ryzen 7 1700 and 16GB DDR4, runs smooth as butter.

Some of the textures are immensely detailed, where others are as low res as some of the previous games, in all honesty. Stuff like your Handler and the monsters will get all the attention.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
Observations from a couple of hours of playing/tweaking. Most are already said in this thread in one way or another, but hey, no harm in confirmations I guess.

-Super heavy on the CPU. I have a 6700k @ 4.4 and just maintaining 60fps at certain locations leads to around 90-95% usage.
-Framepacing is good. If my FPS is sufficient, everything is well.
-Asset stream stutters are there, but minimal when running from a 960 Pro. Of course with slower drives YMMV.
-Both AA solutions are rather bad. FXAA looks bad, TAA doesn't look much better and has a significant performance hit.
-I ended up running the game locked to 60, as this allowed me to max out the settings without AA for what, at least for now, appears to be a rock solid lock on 60.

6700k @ 4.4, GTX1080Ti OC, 16 gigs DDR4/2400, Samsung 960Pro for both system and game, Win10.
1440p / gsync

I have the same setup as you except I have a 6600K @4.5Ghz and a Samsung 850 EVO. Looks like I'm going to have to lower settings if I want to get past 60fps. Can't wait to get a CPU with 8 cores or something in the future.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Is it me or does this game have some of the worst TAA ever??? Like I turn it on, compare it to FXAA and AA completely off and its literally the worst of the 3.

Has nothing to do with everything being blue, the whole atmosphere is gone if you turn it off, even fog. From the rockpapershotgun article:
volume rendering quality off
20180809104058_1.jpg

volume rendering quality high
20180809104040_1.jpg
Problem is it makes this game look even worse.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Has nothing to do with everything being blue, the whole atmosphere is gone if you turn it off, even fog. From the rockpapershotgun article:
volume rendering quality off

volume rendering quality high

These screenshots do a great job of showing how much better the game looks with it off.

I guess this is the beauty of PC gaming. Something that looks horrible to me might be something that looks great for you, and we both can have our cake and eat it too!

Playsage

Oct 25, 2017
So a friend of mine is having disconnection issues with this, like he regularly disconnects a minute or so into the quest and can't play with his group.
He's sure MHW is the only game that behaves this way. Is there anyone having the same issue? If there's already a fix that would be welcome

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
i set it to highest @ 4K but managed to get a steady 30fps. tbh not bad for a 4+ year old pc with new shit trying to keep it alive. might drop some stuff down but it still runs great.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Maxed everything but looks really muddy - is that just the game or is there a trick setting somewhere?

Maxed everything but looks really muddy - is that just the game or is there a trick setting somewhere?
It's the game, really. They went back the earthier tones of the art direction of the first two generations of the series. It's not my preference, as I was way more into the wilder colors that third gen introduced and fourth gen went crazy with, but it does have its fans and I do think it helps with a lot of the atmospheric effects.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Is anyone else who is playing with a controller having their mouse cursor pop up every time you open the map? It goes away when you move the controller again, but it's annoying when every time it's opened this cursor just pops up in the middle of the screen. Happens during loading screens, too.

Kolle

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
These screenshots do a great job of showing how much better the game looks with it off.

I guess this is the beauty of PC gaming. Something that looks horrible to me might be something that looks great for you, and we both can have our cake and eat it too!
Yep, it looks too flat for me with the setting turned off, just wanted to provide an example that it isn't a blue filter like you implied :P

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Game uses Temporal AA on highest settings. It's very effective at preventing shimmering, jaggies and other imperfections in games but will make the game a bit more blurry. It's a worthwhile tradeoff imo, but not everybody likes it.
You can either turn AA off entirely or try FXAA (which isn't as effective as TAA, but should make the game a bit less blurry) or try to inject a post process sharpening filter with reshade. But be warned: If there is an anti cheating software active in MHW it might think that reshade is a cheating software. I also do not know if reshades works with MHW in the first place.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
So far, the game is running fine for me. 60+ FPS, at 1080p and 1440p. However, not sure if it's drivers or not but the game makes me 1080 Ti so hard that they sound like an airplane. I haven't encountered a game in a while that did that.

Things I don't like.
Changing resolution or window/fullscreen requires a restart. Feels like a holdover from the console version.
Black bars on the sides when running at 1440p.
Textures are mudded/drab. I was hoping that we an HD texture pack or something.
TAA is crap
Widescreen is stretched ;(

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else who is playing with a controller having their mouse cursor pop up every time you open the map? It goes away when you move the controller again, but it's annoying when every time it's opened this cursor just pops up in the middle of the screen. Happens during loading screens, too.
Are you on Fullscreen? Changing to Borderless fixed it for me.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
The only issue I found was the game seemed too bright. Turned it down a notch and it looks better imo. Oh also the textures are crap. Playing in 1440p with some settings turned down but it is not really doing much tbh.

The video will be out today but it is coming in hot! I detail what all the settings do and what you can expect! I swear it!
Excellent. Looking forward to it.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
I only have a 60hz 1080p monitor that can be OC'd to 75hz at the moment, so I have the locked to that through the control panel and it is rock steady on my hardware with everything maxed+FXAA.

I did have the Nvidia driver crash on me yesterday, after ~20 minutes of playing when doing the beginning of the Jaggi hunt quest while in the starting area of Ancient Forest. That was before updating to the current driver; since then I have played about 90 more minutes, and everything seems to be working fine.

My system:
Ryzen R7 2700X OC'd to 4.2Ghz.
RoG Strix 1080Ti, Clock OC of +70 and a Memory OC of +200.
16Gb RAM @3200 C14.
Monster Hunter is installed on a 500GB 970 Evo NVMe SSD.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As owner of high end rig I don't have performance issues but my main gripe right now is lack of supersampling. Game has scaling below 100% res, why not implement scaling up to 200% like most other games do nowadays, especially when they already implemented that on PS4 Pro and XBX.

DAOWAce

Jan 6, 2018
US East
Game uses Temporal AA on highest settings. It's very effective at preventing shimmering, jaggies and other imperfections in games but will make the game a bit more blurry. It's a worthwhile tradeoff imo, but not everybody likes it.
Except it doesn't.

No AA:
nsY2mpQ.png

TAA:
VRd3jmm.png

Still jaggies everywhere.

Additionally, it blurs the entire screen in motion, which seems to be the only time it's actually doing anything noticeable: https://i.imgur.com/mZu9a2R.png

So it's constantly blurring/sharpening all the time which is very distracting.

FXAA by comparison: https://i.imgur.com/hGd8DFd.png

Still blurs the screen, but at least it's constant.

But be warned: If there is an anti cheating software active in MHW it might think that reshade is a cheating software. I also do not know if reshades works with MHW in the first place
Reshade works fine here; enabling sharpening to combat AA blur and adjusting color saturation to compensate for volumetric fog washing the entire image out.

That or just making my own 'fog':
OwtMhWN.png

Stock: https://i.imgur.com/8qVDI6p.png

Last edited:

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just tested it on my i7 6700HQ/GTX 950m laptop, definitely playable at low settings 1080p/30. Resolution scale has to be either low or mid, though. I went with low because it's a laptop screen anyway, and I wanted low volume rendering enabled. Otherwise, I hunted a Pukei-Pukei and it wasn't a bad time at all.

A 940MX should be able to handle everything on low and volume off, I think.

fantastic, this means i can run it on my laptop with gtx965m. i was on the fence on whether i should buy it.