• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
With the kinsect glaive it feels extremely stupid that you can't just pull out your weapon and start aiming the kinsect, but you either have to send your kinsect out somewhere(think it goes to where your character is heading) or swing some air

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Teostra totally tanks my framerate when he does the detonations. I get like 20FPS and the game basically goes into slow motion.

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they buff decoration drops? I got a 1 crit boost, 3 attacks, 1 expert, a handicraft jewel. With almost 200 hours of play time I never got these drops on ps4...

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, trying the gublance and keep getting smoked by Odogoran. Still LR, so dont have many options for upgrades. Any gunlancers mind giving me some tips for using the weapon? Is there a good way to cancel out of attacks and block that I'm missing? Dont want to keep relying on Insect Glaive for everything.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Teostra totally tanks my framerate when he does the detonations. I get like 20FPS and the game basically goes into slow motion.

Yeah, engine just can't handle particle effects. Gets even worse when somebody starts waving lightning dual blades around. Altogether, the port isn't in a good technical shape.
They can't tell me they didn't encounter those problems during play-testing.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Did they buff decoration drops? I got a 1 crit boost, 3 attacks, 1 expert, a handicraft jewel. With almost 200 hours of play time I never got these drops on ps4...

Yeah, I'm already swimming in decorations and I've barely barely started my venture in high rank quests. Each quest yields me 2-3 decorations.

You must be in the good decoration table. /s

Been in high rank for several days now, and I have a grand total of 6 (bad) decorations. I get one every 5-8 quests or so.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'm a bit unsure of what to aim for next. I got into HR, now onto 7 star quests. Greatsword user. Made a Jagras Hacker II, which stat-wise is overall the best weapon I could make atm. Don't have any high-rank armor yet though, and I dunno what would be a solid and flexible set. Any recommendations in terms of what's attainable now or what set I should try to get asap? Not talking about end-game armor, but something that will be a solid investment while I work my way up.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
With the kinsect glaive it feels extremely stupid that you can't just pull out your weapon and start aiming the kinsect, but you either have to send your kinsect out somewhere(think it goes to where your character is heading) or swing some air

Yeah, totally. I tried to open fights by running straight at the monster so maybe the kinsect actually hits something, but it barely ever works. Now it's just draw weapon->recall kinsect immediately->start aiming.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Alright, I'm a bit unsure of what to aim for next. I got into HR, now onto 7 star quests. Greatsword user. Made a Jagras Hacker II, which stat-wise is overall the best weapon I could make atm. Don't have any high-rank armor yet though, and I dunno what would be a solid and flexible set. Any recommendations in terms of what's attainable now or what set I should try to get asap? Not talking about end-game armor, but something that will be a solid investment while I work my way up.
From now on it's less so about sets and more about mixed sets filling up the skills you want, so just search in the workshop. Some of the old great GS skills, like punish draw and crit draw have sadly died off due to the draw charge nerf. So it's all about damage now(weakness exploit, crit eye, attack, crit boost), even utility skills like earplugs is kinda useless now for GS due to the tackle taking its place, focus is still good though, even if it's less so than before.

You're not far from end game though, so you're fine with getting whatever for now, as soon you'll replace most with elder dragons pieces.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
nergigante weapons and armor are pretty decent and a good entry point into late game hr

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Teostra seemed quite easy, untill he figured out that roar->hit->stun->hit again kills you from full hp with about nothing you can do about it, but then again that seem to be the games difficulty pretty much, if something can stunlock you to death or not. I'm not against one shot mechanics in souls games and so forth, where the fights dont last 30minutes

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
When does this get fun, the first 4 or 5 monsters are meh so far. Even Barroth didn't seem as cool as in Tri and all so easy so far. I've not even played the series much since Tri (not G) so I'm probably pretty rusty. Is this gonna be like I read X/XX G/GU was where it only got actually challenging in the crazier side/post-game stuff?

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
anjanath is the 1st wall and even then it still depends on your weapon and experience of the series

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
When does this get fun, the first 4 or 5 monsters are meh so far. Even Barroth didn't seem as cool as in Tri and all so easy so far. I've not even played the series much since Tri (not G) so I'm probably pretty rusty. Is this gonna be like I read X/XX G/GU was where it only got actually challenging in the crazier side/post-game stuff?
When you hit the Elder Dragons and HR. Also doing the harder timed investigations etc. You are so early in the game, so plenty of challenge comes down the line, especially if you mix up your weapons.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Maybe I'm just better than in the past but even the Great Jaggi in the Tri demo (so with pretty decent gear) felt like a super cool fight back then and like it put you under pressure with its attacks if you weren't too experienced. And the previous games' funny monsters, Yian Kut-Ku and in Tri Qurupeco, were way cooler than the one in World, whatever its name is. And of course the original Plesioth was waaaaaay harder than its little brother in World even without taking the broken hip check in account (surely that was fixed in 4?). Also the Royal Ludroth way better than the thing that kinda resembles it but without the flubby mane in World. I hope I'm getting to fun monsters :o)

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
From now on it's less so about sets and more about mixed sets filling up the skills you want, so just search in the workshop. Some of the old great GS skills, like punish draw and crit draw have sadly died off due to the draw charge nerf. So it's all about damage now(weakness exploit, crit eye, attack, crit boost), even utility skills like earplugs is kinda useless now for GS due to the tackle taking its place, focus is still good though, even if it's less so than before.

You're not far from end game though, so you're fine with getting whatever for now, as soon you'll replace most with elder dragons pieces.

nergigante weapons and armor are pretty decent and a good entry point into late game hr

Thanks a lot for the tips and suggestions. Browsed a bit through the armor sets based on this and I have a rough idea of what to craft next now.

Lone Dragon

Oct 27, 2017
Went up against Anjanath, last night. First time, it was a side mission. Got him to his nest and tried to capture him. He was asleep, and had a skull on the mini-map. He ditched me earlier in the fight, and I managed to get lost. He carted me after my Shock Trap failed, and I had 5 minutes left to get back to him. I just restarted, because I didn't think I could even get back to him in time.

Took a break and came back that night. Upgraded my armor and bow, restocked my traps and potions, had a meal and used my voucher to double up my rewards, because I was feeling confident. Opening fight, he stuns me twice, then carts me. Run back to the fight, get one-shot by a flame attack. Go for my last attempt, get him to move to the next area, then another one-shot flame attack. Failed quest. I could not dodge for anything, and I could't trigger any environmental traps.

Restart quest. Get carted on first encounter again. Turn MP option from 1 to 4 and signal an SOS. No one shows up, and I wind up capturing the stupid thing, solo. Glad I pulled it off, but annoyed that I lost my voucher.

For what it's worth, this is my first real attempt to play this series. Been trying to learn everything, and looking up some guides online. Was loving it up until that fight. Not completely put off, yet, but definitely put a damper on the game.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Went up against Anjanath, last night. First time, it was a side mission. Got him to his nest and tried to capture him. He was asleep, and had a skull on the mini-map. He ditched me earlier in the fight, and I managed to get lost. He carted me after my Shock Trap failed, and I had 5 minutes left to get back to him. I just restarted, because I didn't think I could even get back to him in time.

Took a break and came back that night. Upgraded my armor and bow, restocked my traps and potions, had a meal and used my voucher to double up my rewards, because I was feeling confident. Opening fight, he stuns me twice, then carts me. Run back to the fight, get one-shot by a flame attack. Go for my last attempt, get him to move to the next area, then another one-shot flame attack. Failed quest. I could not dodge for anything, and I could't trigger any environmental traps.

Restart quest. Get carted on first encounter again. Turn MP option from 1 to 4 and signal an SOS. No one shows up, and I wind up capturing the stupid thing, solo. Glad I pulled it off, but annoyed that I lost my voucher.

For what it's worth, this is my first real attempt to play this series. Been trying to learn everything, and looking up some guides online. Was loving it up until that fight. Not completely put off, yet, but definitely put a damper on the game.
tbh this sounds like a hype story of adversity
You take that back. Took me the entire afternoon to beat him solo!
He is easy bu5 that's compared to before and other fights in the game

Assuming you are not fighting Tempered version, Flash Pod is your best friend against Kushala, just don't flash him when he is in the middle of Tornado.

Teo is really weak compared to his older version. He feels much slower, leaves tons of opening, really generous hitbox, flashpod trivialize his Supernova, etc.

Thankfully Lunastra and Teo ArchTempered exist.

I thought the LBG and HBG in World is worse than previous title....

The new control scheme and mobility are AWESOME, but the Bowgun selection itself are suckass...Too many Bowguns straight up unusable (LBG is much worse in this regard), thanks to overall nerf to things like recoil, ammo selection, ammo capacity, and critical distance across the board compared to older titles Bowguns.
I hated MH4U two
Fucks you up in that tiny magma room
Half the floor is lava and the other half is his blast zone

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017

It's possible to delay your get up animation by holding one of the buttons, idk what it is in World though. Anjanath killed me 3 times in a row with body check+ fire breath combo and I have 300+ hrs in MH so don't feel too bad about it.

Lone Dragon

Oct 27, 2017
It's possible to delay your get up animation by holding one of the buttons, idk what it is in World though. Anjanath killed me 3 times in a row with body check+ fire breath combo and I have 300+ hrs in MH so don't feel too bad about it.

That is ridiculous! But does make me feel a little better about the fight. I've always hated stun mechanics, to begin with. But getting one-shot or chain-stunned to death on a fight that already takes 30+ minutes is just infuriating. Guess I still have a lot to learn about the game. I would have been over most games at that point, but I really enjoy the art design and want to see everything I can. lol

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's the reason/mechanic behind levelling up HR? It doesn't seem to improve stats or damage output. I'm now HR 20 and there is nothing new to do... or am I missing something.

Also: I captured a diablos! Hurray! No idea how, but it worked out. But I still wonder, do I have to throw the tranq bomb before or after the monster went into my trap? I did both (before and after) just to be sure....

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan

In world when knocked down just don't push anything then you stay down for the max time that is allowed to be down. Touching the buttons/stick gets you up faster.

What's the reason/mechanic behind levelling up HR? It doesn't seem to improve stats or damage output. I'm now HR 20 and there is nothing new to do... or am I missing something.

Also: I captured a diablos! Hurray! No idea how, but it worked out. But I still wonder, do I have to throw the tranq bomb before or after the monster went into my trap? I did both (before and after) just to be sure....

You can pre-tranq (before) but you have to trap them shortly after as it does wear off.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
How do you guys actually decide on a weapon to stick with? I can't for the life of me manage to settle on anything.

I think the hammer is as close as I have come to picking one but I still logged out wearing a pair of dual blades....

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Nah, my framerate has been worst with Teostra and Legiana, and any weapon involving thunder/ice/fire particle effects. But Teostra has been by far the worst.
I can imagine Kush being much worse if you allow it to fill the area with tornadoes in the final phase of the fight, something most those who already played World on console wont run into.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
How do you guys actually decide on a weapon to stick with? I can't for the life of me manage to settle on anything.

I think the hammer is as close as I have come to picking one but I still logged out wearing a pair of dual blades....
You don't. You play as many types as you feel like according to monster and situation. I play Longsword, Greatsword, Gunlance, Lance, LBG, HBG, Insect Glaive, Bow, SwitchAxe and Charge Blade. Sticking to one weapon class is boring and limits to how much you get out of Monster Hunter.

The reason you can't get into a weapon is because you don't get enough practice and know how the weapon works.
As long as you are familiar with a monster attack patterns you can try to practice new weapons on it until you are confident enough to move onto another monster to use your new weapons.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
My biggest complaint (and I am sure this is a big part of the monster hunter series) is that the monsters flee so often and they go so far away. Combine that with faulty scoutfly routing (at least in Ancient Forest) and you spend 20 minutes running around trying to find the boss throughout the fight. Still having a lot of fun though. I had to stop last night after I beat Diablos for the first time because he was so damn annoying I was pulling my hair out.

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
Alright, trying the gublance and keep getting smoked by Odogoran. Still LR, so dont have many options for upgrades. Any gunlancers mind giving me some tips for using the weapon? Is there a good way to cancel out of attacks and block that I'm missing? Dont want to keep relying on Insect Glaive for everything.
Odo might be the worst matchup for GL. GL vs. small, fast monsters in general is kind of a pain. They can be faster and more aggressive than you, so you can rarely commit to a full sweep combo and have to be more defensive than usual. Just take it slow.

Also, invest in evade extender as soon as you can find it in gear. You can't really block cancel with a GL like you'd do with a lance, but evade cancelling with a high evade extender level will save your ass a lot.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest complaint (and I am sure this is a big part of the monster hunter series) is that the monsters flee so often and they go so far away. Combine that with faulty scoutfly routing (at least in Ancient Forest) and you spend 20 minutes running around trying to find the boss throughout the fight. Still having a lot of fun though. I had to stop last night after I beat Diablos for the first time because he was so damn annoying I was pulling my hair out.
That usually a hurdle for beginners but after a while you realized each monster have a travel pattern, once you know it's patterns, scoutflies are redundant. If a monster is fleeing, you open up your map,see where they are heading, you fast travel to the camp closest to where you predict they will go and meet them there.

For example, Diablos can always be found in Area 13 underground so you start at camp 15 and drop down. When it's hungry it will move up to area 6 near the cactus to eat so you fast travel to camp 6, when it's limping it runs back to area 14 and sleep so you fast travel back to camp 15, if not it always hang around area 6 and 8, it will never go to the swamp or forest.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Ah okay, so first shock trap and then tranq bomb. Thx.
In general yeah. If the monster is resistant to shock traps because he's been trapped a bunch(for example if you use the trap gadget on the cat, or if you or other players have been using shock traps to do damage), you won't have time to tranq him during the trap reduced duration however, that's when you want to tranq first, then trap, and it'll immediately capture once the trap activates. The tranq decay is pretty long, like 30secs, maybe even 1minute and it still should work. Obviously you don't want to risk it too much, but once I did shock > tranq but I had a friendly cat NPC who kept trapping it so he broke free before I could tranq, then I chased him down from the underground area to the cactus area, used another trap, and it still worked. Alternatively you can bring pit traps and just use these instead, won't have diminishing returns from cats and stuff.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That usually a hurdle for beginners but after a while you realized each monster have a travel pattern, once you know it's patterns, scoutflies are redundant. If a monster is fleeing, you open up your map,see where they are heading, you fast travel to the camp closest to where you predict they will go and meet them there.

For example, Diablos can always be found in Area 13 underground so you start at camp 15 and drop down. When it's hungry it will move up to area 6 near the cactus to eat so you fast travel to camp 6, when it's limping it runs back to area 14 and sleep so you fast travel back to camp 15, if not it always hang around area 6 and 8, it will never go to the swamp or forest.

I figured as much. Ancient forest is the most confusing with all the vines and layers. I have to learn the flight patterns I guess.

Soviet Bear

May 25, 2018

Scoutflies will lead you to monster's tracks initially which can be in any direction regardless of the monster's current location. Only once it's leveled up does it start showing a route towards it.

To make it easier, once the monster is registered on the map just open your map and place a pin on the monster. That will give you the most direct route that you can clearly see.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Just beat the Anjanath on my first hunt. Using the longsword for the first time in this game too, I only figured out how to do its special at the end of the fight, lol. It kinda felt like a weak ass version of deviljho (I know there's real jho in the game too, just saying, kinda looks like one, before it gets enraged and shows off its fin things). I did faint twice but yeah, I'm not even taking any items and tools with me so far in this game, I don't feel the need to, just making do with whatever the supply box has at the time :o/

I completed the elder dragon capture attempt and moved the story onwards too, that was easy too but expected I guess, it was basically a playable story set piece.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man someone needs to make a dps meter for this game. Playing with my friends all the time and they think they're hot shit when I know I'm blowing them out of the water damage wise. If they can do it for ff14 it should be easy for this game!

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Man someone needs to make a dps meter for this game. Playing with my friends all the time and they think they're hot shit when I know I'm blowing them out of the water damage wise. If they can do it for ff14 it should be easy for this game!
I only did multiplayer once but it did show who did the most dps, is that not standard or am I misremembering? Also, some weapon types aren't about raw damage output either so that doesn't mean they're doing less than you necessarily if they're breaking parts or causing the monster to flinch or otherwise enabling everyone to do more damage without risk with status effects or whatever. Unless of course you're all using the same kind of weapon at a time...

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In general yeah. If the monster is resistant to shock traps because he's been trapped a bunch(for example if you use the trap gadget on the cat, or if you or other players have been using shock traps to do damage), you won't have time to tranq him during the trap reduced duration however, that's when you want to tranq first, then trap, and it'll immediately capture once the trap activates. The tranq decay is pretty long, like 30secs, maybe even 1minute and it still should work. Obviously you don't want to risk it too much, but once I did shock > tranq but I had a friendly cat NPC who kept trapping it so he broke free before I could tranq, then I chased him down from the underground area to the cactus area, used another trap, and it still worked. Alternatively you can bring pit traps and just use these instead, won't have diminishing returns from cats and stuff.
great explanation. thumbs up!

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
I only did multiplayer once but it did show who did the most dps, is that not standard or am I misremembering? Also, some weapon types aren't about raw damage output either so that doesn't mean they're doing less than you necessarily if they're breaking parts or causing the monster to flinch or otherwise enabling everyone to do more damage without risk with status effects or whatever. Unless of course you're all using the same kind of weapon at a time...
You need to hit a certain damage done threshold in order to get that stat at the end. Usually very rare ,if you get that stat ..its more or less tells you that your teammates are super incompetent to deal dmg that you have to carry their ass.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware

If you're stuck at HR 20 there's a mission that you didn't do as of yet. Be sure to go back and check all the previous missions, as the HR is tied to the story mode until you beat it. Once you finish the story mode, your HR will raise as you do missions and other quests.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
I figured as much. Ancient forest is the most confusing with all the vines and layers. I have to learn the flight patterns I guess.
Also, be sure to open the map after you locate the monster (I usually do this the first time they run away) and pin the monster by highlighting their icon and pressing R3 or whatever you have it bound to. Once pinned, your scout flies will follow the monster. Sometimes they get confused, but if that happens, opening and closing the map will reset them and get them back on the monster's trail.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Despite being bad with the great sword and it's annoyingly slow mobility, I found it to be the best weapon in World. And the more I use it, the more the weapon clicks for me.