• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Is texture quality "Full" the highest setting or 1024? The textures of armor and stuff are sometimes pretty blurry so just double checking, even though I'm fairly positive that full is the highest.
Full is highest (game has plenty of 2k and 4k textures) but the texture loading is partially borked in the current build.

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
My hunter looks like an asshole that hits on people's girlfriends at the ski lodge.

WGeNgig.jpg

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
So when I'm setting up a new quest, it want's me to pick the number of multiplayer players. Does it scale monster HP differently if I choose 2-4 players vs 1, even if I'm playing alone either way? Does setting it to 1 just disable the SOS feature, or does it totally rebalance monster HP?

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Got some extra cash in and decided to get this for PC, got some 400 hours in the PS4 version.

I don't get why people said there wasn't a lot visual difference, everything looks so sharp, no jaggy edges, no frame skipping environments in the distance, doesn't feel like I have to adjust my eyes anymore walking around town and the zones. The game does stutter once in a while and my frames range from the 50's to 40's at times but it's a small thing compared what we got in return.

Oct 25, 2017
So when I'm setting up a new quest, it want's me to pick the number of multiplayer players. Does it scale monster HP differently if I choose 2-4 players vs 1, even if I'm playing alone either way? Does setting it to 1 just disable the SOS feature, or does it totally rebalance monster HP?

Nah it only scales once someone enters the game physically.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Nah. Only when players actually join and respond to your SOS is when monster HP is balanced accordingly. Also difficulty doesn't scale depending on how many players you have. Having two players with their palicos is the same as four.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I wish there was a mod to change the need to seethe cutscene before playing a story mission together. Who in the hell thought that was a good idea?

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was a mod to change the need to seethe cutscene before playing a story mission together. Who in the hell thought that was a good idea?

I think they did that so people wouldn't join a quest and murder the monster while people were still watching the cutscene.

I remember that happening in FF14 during Praetorium. Someone watches a cutscene, rest of the group goes ahead and kills everything.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
I guess they didn't want to design the game like a mmo where you see people standing there with a video icon over their head while a massive monster is flaying about and hitting them but they're invulnerable. And then the cutscene ends and you get hit instantly. They could have designed encounters differently I guess though by forcing every monster to appear from a set spot only at the end of the last person viewing the cutscene.

Still you see people complain every now and then about it in XIV when people watch some cutscene before a boss fight while everyone else just starts the fight. At least they made it so you can enter the boss room even if you're late, before you were just locked out the fight.

On the positive side, on PC the loadings are so fast that logging off to relog in someone's game after checking the cutscene is like 10secs. On console it's probably like 1+minute.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think they did that so people wouldn't join a quest and murder the monster while people were still watching the cutscene.

I remember that happening in FF14 during Praetorium. Someone watches a cutscene, rest of the group goes ahead and kills everything.

Im sure they thought of letting you join the quest, watch the cutscene together and let the host skip it if he wants. I wonder what problem did that lead to. The multplayer is fantastic with that one glaring flaw.

DAOWAce

Jan 6, 2018
US East
Only took until Stormblood's release for them to pull their heads out of their asses and do this.

When I played 3 years ago it was the worst experience I ever had in an MMORPG and made me never want to do raid story content again.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, do I need to actively unlock a layered armor for the first time to see the menu option? If so, how do I do this at this point on PC? I think the only one available is from the crazy expensive DLC thing?

E: Manual says "Once you have some layered armor, you can wear it by following any of the methods below."
Sheeet

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have voice chat issues in this? When I'm with randoms I can see the chat icon when they're talking bout don't hear anything. I have chat on and can see the icon appear when I talk into my mic, but the voice chat audio doesn't seem to be coming through.

Kentsui

Oct 26, 2017
Any tips for Anjanath ? I can get him badly Limping consistantly but his enrage phase has always got me one-shot at one point or another D:

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
With the PC player count it's super unlikely there's nobody else doing the same thing as you at any point

There could be but they might not be open for people to join. Even during the height of the console versions, some stuff just never had enough people on it. The majority just moved on through the story and onto the bigger and better things.

Maybe start your own and see if anyone joins. Just ask in the OTs and get a group from ERA together.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
It could either be not many people are at that level yet, or they have moved onto more dangerous things and farming HR Rathian is a bit boring. Just solo it.
I remember when the console version came out it took 30 something captures to get a ruby, was a nightmare but there was always someone to join.

I just like how the armor looks, not as gaudy as most of the other stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
The lack of variety has been killed the game for me so far. I knew it was pretty bare bones but I wasnt expecting it to hit me this fast.

That and all the new monsters I've encountered so far just feel like reskins and are very bland.

But damn the base game is near perfect Monster Hunter. Once the sequel comes out, it easily has the potential to be the best Monster Hunter.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing the game a bit and I don't feel it's really for me. Everything is so slow and tedious. You need to sharpen weapon all the time, monsters runs away often, you can't run very far without running out of stamina and you need to grind a lot to make any progress. It doesn't help that the online seems to be broken and your character's armor really look hideous and low res in cutscenes even on max setting.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently no one in the world is hunting high rank rathians. God I hate this broken sos shit
its way harder to get co op on PC for me compared to people tripping over themsleves on console after your sos flare
Multiply it more after HR.
Im in elder recess now and even worse. Fucking hell ill do azure rath investigation by myself

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Light bowgun is the best don't @ me
You misspelled heavy

I've been playing the game a bit and I don't feel it's really for me. Everything is so slow and tedious. You need to sharpen weapon all the time, monsters runs away often, you can't run very far without running out of stamina and you need to grind a lot to make any progress. It doesn't help that the online seems to be broken and your character's armor really look hideous and low res in cutscenes even on max setting.
You don't need to grind to make progress. I didn't kill anything more than maybe 2 times until I was in high rank on xbox, and even then it was just specific things I wanted, which is kind of the point of the late/endgame.

Even now on PC again, I'm almost back to high rank and I have done like, 2-3 optional things because I wanted to.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Any tips for Anjanath ? I can get him badly Limping consistantly but his enrage phase has always got me one-shot at one point or another D:
I think you can kinda wait it out? I know the first time I fought him it went pretty easy, then the 2nd time he carted me twice almost right away(one time I was stuck against a wall and him and he was doing the spam charge move, other time he killed me from like 80% in one shot with a fire attack). But after that it still went fine, and I ended up killing him twice more for the weekly bounty without trouble.

When he does the fire enrage crap, either stand away and just wait it out, or fire some water thingies at him with the launcher thing, seems to knock him down instantly. I don't really use many other items but iirc for the quest you also have some knives you can coat in poison for some free damage or something. In some of the spots you can get aerial attacks in too to mount him, can chunk a decent bunch of hp like that(although that's weapon dependant I guess).

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
The lack of variety has been killed the game for me so far. I knew it was pretty bare bones but I wasnt expecting it to hit me this fast.

That and all the new monsters I've encountered so far just feel like reskins and are very bland.

But damn the base game is near perfect Monster Hunter. Once the sequel comes out, it easily has the potential to be the best Monster Hunter.
Yeah, the variety takes a huge step back compared to the last entries. It's sad, but understandable.