• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Anybody know whats with the fuzzy visuals when i move around? When i stand still everything looks crisp.

Is it one of the LOD settings or something? I have everything turned on except the fog cause it hurts performance.

Also does this game have an FPS counter option somewhere.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
As expected... it just washes the game out while also lowering your framerate... so weird.

I've decided to run this game at 1440p maxed out with the Volume Rendering completely. The FPS averages around 115-120 and it fluctuates between 90 and 140 depending on the situation. This game feels too good at higher frame rates to play at 4K.
It does more than just washing the game out. Turning it off kills the game's atmosphere in some situations.

Volumetric off
off.png

Volumetric high
high.png

Here's the complete comparison.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Ps4 version took for fucking ever to load quests or to return back to the main hub. Made everything feel so sluggish. I have this installed on my SSD now and everything loads in under five seconds! Console versions are unplayable now

Carm

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Don't see a performance thread, sadly no matter the settings can't maintain 60fps at 1080p on a i7-6700k 4.0 and 970 gtx. Locking it to 30fps works but I do get a occasional stutter I don't remember the ps4 version having. Also seems like grass draw in, is much closer than it is on PS4. Gonna check out the PS4 version tomorrow again to see if it's just placebo.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

So, I wanna talk about how utterly weird Monster Hunter World's official configuration for the Steam Controller is. Typically, official configurations for Steam Controller games come in two types: bindings, and native support.

Bindings are where you assign a specific keyboard, mouse, or Xbox input to the Steam Controller. Such as say making the right trigger the left click on your mouse button, or assigning WASD to the stick, or say like the "Q" and "E" keys to the face buttons. These are the most common types of official configurations for the Steam Controller.

On the other hand, you also have official configurations with native support. What this means is, is instead of getting a configuration where you might bind the specific buttons or keys to the controller, you instead bind actions to it. For example, you'd assign "Fire Gun" to the right trigger or "Reload" to the X button. These typically allow for a lot more customization compared to what you could do alone, and usually allow you to designate different actions for different parts of gameplay (I.E. menus having one set of control, or vehicles having their own controls)

Monster Hunter World is actually a game with native support. You can tell because it gives you a list of actions by default with the official configuration, and there's an option to switch to "Legacy Keys" in there. But they've done something rather unusual for this native support. All the "actions" are just named after generic buttons on a controller, such "Face Button Up" and "Face Button Down", in addiction to having a special action for hitting both attack buttons at once with a single press. Likewise, it seems to allow for two different sets of controls, one for melee and one for aiming. It's very peculiar, and I've never seen anything like it before in the nearly three years I've owned the Steam Controller. There's just one problem...

... none of these "actions" appear to work as far as I can tell.

To top it all off, even though this configuration is official (it was there before the game launched, and is always atop the community), it's not in the "Recommended" section like an official configuration would be.

Given the way Steam Input works, and based upon how these buttons are named and the fact that Steam Input supports the Dualshock 4, I suspect this was going to be how you were suppose to get Playstation prompts in game. Unfortunately, unless someone finds said prompts in the game file there's no way to verify it, because the configuration doesn't work and was only ever finished for the Steam Controller itself. No configuration exists for the Dualshock 4 if it's plugged in, although you can adapt the official configuration from the Steam Controller over just fine if you want. Monster Hunter World itself works fine with an Xinput based solution, such as an Xbox controller or another controller running through Steam Input and the generic gamepad template. Really makes me wonder what was going on with this config tho...

TLDR: They made a native Steam Controller config to do what the generic bindings can already do. Except said native config doesn't work anyhow.

Last edited:

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Good lord. What the fuck kind of kb/m control is this? Capcom has done PC ports before.

See https://www.resetera.com/threads/mo...ot-now-jaggi-free.60725/page-17#post-11319286

The problem is is that the MH studio is basically the only studio within Capcom that has not done a PC port before, given them having been producing Handheld games up until MHWorld - Which is why I really think they should have leaned on QLOC or other teams within Capcom to assist with this instead of insisting on keeping everything MH related strictly internal.

I mean they clearly got the memo on things like graphics options, framerate, resolution and stuff...

But I don't think PC gamers have been vocal enough about all the other important things like Raw Mouse Input - That's something that should be on equal ground with Arbitrary Framerate and Resolution.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
See https://www.resetera.com/threads/mo...ot-now-jaggi-free.60725/page-17#post-11319286

The problem is is that the MH studio is basically the only studio within Capcom that has not done a PC port before, given them having been producing Handheld games up until MHWorld - Which is why I really think they should have leaned on QLOC or other teams within Capcom to assist with this instead of insisting on keeping everything MH related strictly internal.

I mean they clearly got the memo on things like graphics options, framerate, resolution and stuff...

But I don't think PC gamers have been vocal enough about all the other important things like Raw Mouse Input - That's something that should be on equal ground with Arbitrary Framerate and Resolution.
I didn't know we had to. Anyone playing the game during the porting process trying to make fine adjustments would be like "What in the fuck is this?"

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know we had to. Anyone playing the game during the porting process trying to make fine adjustments would be like "What in the fuck is this?"

Unfortunately MHWorld is just one of many in this year alone to have committed this design sin - And we're just now starting to call it out now that it's in a presumable Million+ Seller.

Final Fantasy 12 and Yakuza 0 have the exact same Mouse-Input issues but the community just largely shrugged them off. And there's a few others which names escape me right now from this year.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
It does more than just washing the game out. Turning it off kills the game's atmosphere in some situations.

Volumetric off
off.png

Volumetric high
high.png

Here's the complete comparison.
Yeah, I went back and forth on this a couple of times but finally decided to have it on. No fog seems to kill the intended feel of the game.

Fortunately I have yet to notice even the slightest difference between Low and Highest, and Low has a fairly minimal performance impact.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately MHWorld is just one of many in this year alone to have committed this design sin - And we're just now starting to call it out now that it's in a presumable Million+ Seller.

Final Fantasy 12 and Yakuza 0 have the exact same Mouse-Input issues but the community just largely shrugged them off. And there's a few others which names escape me right now from this year.
That's absolutely shocking to me.

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody know whats with the fuzzy visuals when i move around? When i stand still everything looks crisp.

Is it one of the LOD settings or something? I have everything turned on except the fog cause it hurts performance.
I don't have the game on PC yet but the console versions did have temporal reconstruction. Maybe it's still in the PC version?

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Just picked this up tn, first MH game ever. Enjoying it so far except, at least to my knowledge... MP IS A GD NIGHTMARE. Took me and a friend like an hour to figure out that... i guess you cant play story missions together? so we essentially have to play the game single player first through the story then link up later, MP is basically side missions and I assume end game? Why exactly? Most other games like this let you actually play together. plus he doesnt show up in my friends list in the game I have to send him the lobby code, which then only gives you voice chat, you then have to post a mission and have them accept... even though their in your lobby/party? Why are there so many steps to just getting into a game with a friend? That's really disappointing. I guess I'll figure it out and live with it cuz the whole point I picked this up was to play with friends. not interested in grindy games that you play alone.

You can play the story with friends too, it's quite convoluted but really not that big of a deal once you know how to do it.

So essentially when you're in the same lobby, you all start your missions solo, and once you get to the part where you're supposed to kill the monster and it says you can fire SOS now, just return from the quest back to the town. Once the last player reaches that same point in the mission you all join him/her from the quest board (join quest). It should appear on the assigned list there after that. Or if everyone happened to return from the quest you just post that assignment again and you all can get in together from the get go. It's not really that straightforward but once you know how to do it efficiently, it's quite non-issue. The only exceptions are the quests that start with expedition mission (eg. kulu-ya-ku), there you all actually need to return to Astera first and start that slaying part as a new assignment.

Really can't defend this system since it's quite shit, but once you know the inner workings of it it's easy to live with it.

Hope this helps!

DAOWAce

Jan 6, 2018
US East
It's TAA.

The same ass awful TAA that was in Fallout 4 which became popular for having reshade presets with sharpening to workaround it.

FXAA is no better, but at least it doesn't constantly shift between sharp/blurry when moving. Both methods absolutely suck with their effectiveness to combat AA; jaggies still everywhere. WHY DOES ALMOST NO DEVELOPER IMPLEMENT SMAA? Grr.

As for FPS counter, no, use something like Rivatuner (bundled with MSI afterburner) or steam's FPS overlay.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017

Also does this game have an FPS counter option somewhere.
Probably the TAA. Try turning off anti-aliasing entirely. I strongly dislike this game's AA solutions, I think it looks much better without either of them.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
You can play the story with friends too, it's quite convoluted but really not that big of a deal once you know how to do it.

So essentially when you're in the same lobby, you all start your missions solo, and once you get to the part where you're supposed to kill the monster and it says you can fire SOS now, just return from the quest back to the town. Once the last player reaches that same point in the mission you all join him/her from the quest board (join quest). It should appear on the assigned list there after that. Or if everyone happened to return from the quest you just post that assignment again and you all can get in together from the get go. It's not really that straightforward but once you know how to do it efficiently, it's quite non-issue. The only exceptions are the quests that start with expedition mission (eg. kulu-ya-ku), there you all actually need to return to Astera first and start that slaying part as a new assignment.

Really can't defend this system since it's quite shit, but once you know the inner workings of it it's easy to live with it.

Hope this helps!
Yeah this is pretty binkers that a game with a multiplayer focus in 2018 is so insanely stupid. The last time I had to do inline research just to figure out how to link up with a friend was back when you'd have to log into your router and open ports to directly connect to friends ips. Honestly at least that made sense, this seems like someone made a system that had no idea how games are supposed to work.

You say it's not that big if a deal, and I'm sure to people who love this game already it's not, but for me who's just simply trying to get into the series, it's a huge hinderence to my enjoyment and ability to get into it.

*Sigh"* I'll play it for a bit longer and hope my friends don't drop it soon. My last game like this that all my friends bought was destiny 2 and we all know how that turned out...(and that at least had easy multiplayer lol).

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
WTF is wrong with this game (or my PC)? Even with lowest settings (except resolution) I get framedrops to ~50 while fighting little Jagras. I`m really pissed right now, don`t know what is causing this bad performance on my system (1080Ti, 4790k, installed on a SSD). Is it Denuvo? Win 7? I don`t know....
CPU most likely, I havent gotten that kind of drops on same gpu but Im running ocd 8700k

Yas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arctic Circle, Finland

Hope this helps!
Thank you for this!

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
It's a shame there's no crossplay, because there's no way I'm double dipping after putting 400 hours into the PS4 version, but it would be fun to play with a new crew of players. Oh well :/

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Yeah this is pretty binkers that a game with a multiplayer focus in 2018 is so insanely stupid. The last time I had to do inline research just to figure out how to link up with a friend was back when you'd have to log into your router and open ports to directly connect to friends ips. Honestly at least that made sense, this seems like someone made a system that had no idea how games are supposed to work.

You say it's not that big if a deal, and I'm sure to people who love this game already it's not, but for me who's just simply trying to get into the series, it's a huge hinderence to my enjoyment and ability to get into it.

*Sigh"* I'll play it for a bit longer and hope my friends don't drop it soon. My last game like this that all my friends bought was destiny 2 and we all know how that turned out...(and that at least had easy multiplayer lol).
I agree that it's quite hard to get the initial grasp of the system and it's depressing. It should be more straightforward. The good news is majority of the actual game is NOT assignment-quests (unless you just and only somehow play only the required main quest line to complete game) and they are very straightforward to play as co-op.

I hope you guys still get around with it!

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017

Just get them to rush through the Story

All the bullshit goes away in High Rank.

MH6 really needs to go back to the old formula for handling "Story" content IMO. Because Low Rank in World IMO is the series's closest equivalent to the first 80% of FF13.

Just like Diablo 3's story, it's the thing we soldier through to get to the actual good parts of the game, and honestly that's a massive Malus on this game when previous games let us jump into Real Shit right away instead of having us chug through a very long tutorial.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I agree that it's quite hard to get the initial grasp of the system and it's depressing. It should be more straightforward. The good news is majority of the actual game is NOT assignment-quests (unless you just and only somehow play only the required main quest line to complete game) and they are very straightforward to play as co-op.

I hope you guys still get around with it!
Yeah I hope we get I the rythm of it too, thanks for your help.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
All this technology talk is boring the hell out of me.. what kind of Monster Hunter Thread is this!!!

On-Topic: Love the game so far, put a few hours into it already. Maining Duel Blades and I love the QOL changes. Demon Mode is easier to build and maintain, but requires commitment since the bulk of energy generation is on the third hit of the your combo. Also, the Stamina drain is less severe than in past installments. I'm tearing shit apart right now, but then again I'm used to G Rank Hunts so I'm not sure if this is just experience kicking in or if the game is easier (both?). Working on a Barroth set now and just focusing on Defense to get me through the low ranks. Some Questions for anyone who might know...

1. What are Investigations? Are they just normal hunts that give increased rewards, but have a limited use?
2. Is there a Palico farm somewhere down the line?
3. Is there anyway to change the UI (size, position) or remove certain elements (I hate that thing in the top right corner that show my recent button inputs) or do I need to wait for Mods?

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1. What are Investigations? Are they just normal hunts that give increased rewards, but have a limited use?
3. Is there anyway to change the UI (size, position) or remove certain elements (I hate that thing in the top right corner that show my recent button inputs) or do I need to wait for Mods?

1. Investigations are basically mini hunts you can do for rewards on specific targets. Some have additional restrictions in exchange for additional rewards.
2. Nope.
3. You can modify some stuff. The button input display can be removed in the options, and on the main menu (not in game) options you can adjust the size of some of the UI elements, but not a whole lot.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Yeah, I went back and forth on this a couple of times but finally decided to have it on. No fog seems to kill the intended feel of the game.

Fortunately I have yet to notice even the slightest difference between Low and Highest, and Low has a fairly minimal performance impact.

Low is enough higher it just looks like a washed out filter.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
All this technology talk is boring the hell out of me.. what kind of Monster Hunter Thread is this!!!

On-Topic: Love the game so far, put a few hours into it already. Maining Duel Blades and I love the QOL changes. Demon Mode is easier to build and maintain, but requires commitment since the bulk of energy generation is on the third hit of the your combo. Also, the Stamina drain is less severe than in past installments. I'm tearing shit apart right now, but then again I'm used to G Rank Hunts so I'm not sure if this is just experience kicking in or if the game is easier (both?). Working on a Barroth set now and just focusing on Defense to get me through the low ranks. Some Questions for anyone who might know...

The game is definitely easier than past games. How much of that is due to some QoL changes stacking up is not clear.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
what kind of Monster Hunter Thread is this!!!

The PC version. The first 10 hours of a game is always spend by playing around with settings while monitoring CPU, GPU and Frametimes. Then we make screenshots to compare various settings, while complaining that there is barely a difference between very high and ultra, which drops performance by 50%. We later blame Denuvo because we like to pair high end GPUs with 10 year old CPUs.
This can be applied to every PC performance thread btw.

Serious answer: There is no dedicated PC performance thread, so game talk and tech talk happens in one thread. Where else are people supposed to talk about MHW tech? The console OT?

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Can you post impressions at native 4K? Volume renderirng at low too, or even off.

I'm planning on playing it on my 4K TV and 30fps doesn't bother me in this kind of game.

Thx m8 ;)
Yeah, 4k 30fps is no issue on my setup. Not my cup of tea, but it works! For some reason on my setup, 4k squashes the image

yZCZmaT.png

Haven't seen anyone else bring this up so I'm guessing it's just an issue on my end

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, I can only group with people that are in my instance of the town? Can't find or join a populated town, always get an error code.

30, 60 and unlocked.
No, you can search flares gamewide, or if you send one people can search yours. It might be busted right now on pc, I'm not sure, but when it works correctly it's not just in your session.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Serious answer: There is no dedicated PC performance thread, so game talk and tech talk happens in one thread. Where else are people supposed to talk about MHW tech? The console OT?

That sucks... I'm playing just fine with a GTX 1070.. but I'm not a Optimization junkie so none of this appeals to me. Feels like ever since the PC version was announced 90% of the conversation has been about performance and not the actual game and the PC people finally getting to experience it, I was hoping things would change when the OT came out but.. nope! Most OT's are usually filled with people asking questions and sharing experience with new launches, but I guess since this a port the conversation is somewhere else : /

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just get them to rush through the Story

All the bullshit goes away in High Rank.

MH6 really needs to go back to the old formula for handling "Story" content IMO. Because Low Rank in World IMO is the series's closest equivalent to the first 80% of FF13.

Just like Diablo 3's story, it's the thing we soldier through to get to the actual good parts of the game, and honestly that's a massive Malus on this game when previous games let us jump into Real Shit right away instead of having us chug through a very long tutorial.
What is that? Like a challenge mode with no story stuff?

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
Texture are noticeably worse for me on PC than on PS4 PRO, even at highest settings. The game runs like a dream though.