• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
Does this mean we'll download 50 GB or just base game + DLC will be 50? That'd be a big download, I really don't want to wait for that.
it says 31 GB for xbox and 33 for PS4
N7IL2QI.jpg

Also I'm probably the only one happy about this but, finally!
NuKeUXW.jpg

I didn't put much thought into creating my palico so I'm glad I'm finally able to change him.
Hopefully they give us some for free like they did with the character edit vouchers.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
I didn't put much thought into creating my palico so I'm glad I'm finally able to change him.
This reminds me of the incredulous look my nephew gave me after having played the MHGU I gave him as a present for his Switch. He asked how many palicoes I had in World.
He was initially surprised that the response was: one.
You gotta choose wisely where historically a lot of the ones you got were disposable.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
If all the non-trash the pack has is a couple of Velkana scales, a gold wyverian ticket and a golden egg I'm not sure if I'd rather wait to the actual expansion.
On the other hand, the beta could be used to gauge interest in a new Era squad. :S

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we'll fight Velkhana in her actual arena or if it'll be like Beta Nergigante and we get a version of her that's not available in the final game.

Probably the former, but it'd be cool to have another unique fight.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Will all monsters get master rank versions in Iceborne, including Elder Dragons?
This would be kinda odd because there're already three versions of them.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will all monsters get master rank versions in Iceborne, including Elder Dragons?
This would be kinda odd because there're already three versions of them.

Yes except for Behemoth and Leshen/Ancient Leshen because apparently Capcom couldn't renew the licensing agreement with them or something.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So we will end up with:
HR Elder Dragons -> HR Tempered Elder Dragons -> HR Arch Tempered Elder Dragons -> MR Elder Dragons -> MR Tempered Elder Dragons -> MR Arch Tempered Elder Dragons
That's a lot of Elder Dragons!

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
So we will end up with:
HR Elder Dragons -> HR Tempered Elder Dragons -> HR Arch Tempered Elder Dragons -> MR Elder Dragons -> MR Tempered Elder Dragons -> MR Arch Tempered Elder Dragons
That's a lot of Elder Dragons!

We don't know if Arch Tempered will make a return in Master Rank (probably not tbh, seems like AT are not something they are planning from the start).

Yeah, AT monsters felt more like a hasty response to the endgame issues than a thing going forward, especially with how little wound up being new about the majority of them. Not that there won't be modifiers in place for certain quests, but that's nothing new for the series.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I disagree. I'd say AT were planned from the beginning, and they will continue doing them. They've always done super monster event quests, and many of them had special sets tied to them as well. This just seems like a natural building on that by making the extra set standard and occasionally adding new moves/AI tweaks. Also based on what the modding community has uncovered, AT is not a new version of the monster in the code, but instead it's an AI modifier that can be applied to any existing monster.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm leaning towards "Capcom heard complaints about the lack of endgame difficulty and needed something to keep people playing until they added Behemoth." The fact that none of the Y armor uses new models, and that the earliest AT Elders have the fewest noticeable changes to them (I didn't notice anything about AT Kirin other than more health and damage) while the later ones like Xeno and Nergi had the most noticeable changes makes me feel like they came up with the idea for ATs either close to or soon after launch and refined that idea throughout the post-launch life of the game.

I'm leaning towards "Capcom heard complaints about the lack of endgame difficulty and needed something to keep people playing until they added Behemoth." The fact that none of the Y armor uses new models, and that the earliest AT Elders have the fewest noticeable changes to them (I didn't notice anything about AT Kirin other than more health and damage) while the later ones like Xeno and Nergi had the most noticeable changes makes me feel like they came up with the idea for ATs either close to or soon after launch and refined that idea throughout the post-launch life of the game.
And unsurprisingly, that's why there's a more positive response to both Xeno and Nerg than the other AT monsters. Hell, it actually feels like Zorah is easier than his normal incarnation now that there's an alert on when to use binders, thus making coordination much simpler.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Hell, it actually feels like Zorah is easier than his normal incarnation now that there's an alert on when to use binders, thus making coordination much simpler.
You didn't need to bind him at all in his normal incarnation though. You could easily repel him without any binders even on the first time through (i didn't even realize binders were available until AT came out).

You didn't need to bind him at all in his normal incarnation though. You could easily repel him without any binders even on the first time through (i didn't even realize binders were available until AT came out).
While true, having a schedule announced for you keeps everyone on task to be more efficient. Which is the point given the halved timer, but I still feel like it makes it easier overall.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
I could just be lucky, but I'll admit that one failure I had was largely due to the group using their binders on anything but the flame blast. Also, that post in front of the ballista on the right side of the barrier is the worst hitbox in the game.

I've usually failed due to being the only one using binders and getting caught without one when we needed it or someone blocking the nearest ballista and not having the time to find a clear one.

There was also that one time one of the hostile wingdrakes decided to be a secret service agent at the worst moment.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Just got around doing the Witcher collaboration, that was pretty nice.

Do we still have no idea if master rank monsters endgame grind will be the same as tempered aka tracks farming?

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Are the Kulve Taroth weapons good enough to be worth the endless farm that is her RNG drops? Trying to decide if it's worth a few runs tonight.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Are the Kulve Taroth weapons good enough to be worth the endless farm that is her RNG drops? Trying to decide if it's worth a few runs tonight.
some of the weapons are best-in-class—most are not very good. if Kulve Taroth were whatsoever fun, I'd say go for it. as-is—and so close to every one of those weapons becoming obsolete—I would never, ever touch it

banter

Jan 12, 2018
some of the weapons are best-in-class—most are not very good. if Kulve Taroth were whatsoever fun, I'd say go for it. as-is—and so close to every one of those weapons becoming obsolete—I would never, ever touch it
I loved Goldilocks the first 50 times or so I fought it. Now it's a drag and knowing all of the ridiculously rare due to RNG weapons will be outclassed in Iceborne, I have zero motivation to do it anymore. Great armor set from her though.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I did KT once and afterward was sort of wondering if I'd had fun. did it again and felt very sure I had not had any fun. I think I've done it like 3-4 times since then, every time a few months apart, wondering "Is it really all that bad?" and the answer has always been yes

I like this game the most when there's a lot of interactivity between the monster and the player—making interesting reads off of the monster's animations, using the environment in a fun compelling way, using a weapon's moveset to control the monster and the fight. fighting kulve taroth feels like...spraying a hose at a concrete wall

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
I've enjoyed KT in the past but hard RNG kind of sucks the fun out of things for me a bit. Hence the question. That and bad runs while another team gets the break feeling like a waste of time.

Forgot about the power scaling due in iceborne so may just hold off. Maybe start on one of the many gamma sets I missed during my time oit of game.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are both crazy. How do you deal with Arch Tempered monsters without health regen?
I beat many of them before I unlocked augmentations. Health regen just allows to play more lazy, or more casually and sometimes actually deal more damage because you aren't healing all the time.

Plus most "optimal" builds don't have it obviously, which I strongly dislike just like I despise games being catered to speedrunners

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I beat many of them before I unlocked augmentations. Health regen just allows to play more lazy, or more casually and sometimes actually deal more damage because you aren't healing all the time.

Plus most "optimal" builds don't have it obviously, which I strongly dislike just like I despise games being catered to speedrunners
Depends on the monster for me. I wouldn't want to fight AT Vaal without health regen. Gotta counteract that tick damage from the miasma. The rest, I can see it not really being necessary.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

The vast majority of speedruns use health augment. Being able to ignore chip damage is too useful, especially on harder content. Only time it's not used is for really weak monsters or for spread bow/spread hbg.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the monster for me. I wouldn't want to fight AT Vaal without health regen. Gotta counteract that tick damage from the miasma. The rest, I can see it not really being necessary.
Yeah, I can't actually remember if I had it when I beat AT VH, but it makes it easier for sure, I do remember I only attempted him when I had the miasma charm however. Thing is I really rather heal than taking chances as I feel as long you aren't at 100% full health it's much easier to get one shot, of course VH is more tricky than the others in that regard, but to me health regen is more of an safety net like DB, I usually heal immediately if I took like 10% or more damage. Depends also on the weapon of course, I'll still use like 30-40 items on a AT hunt on average 😂

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Yeah, I can't actually remember if I had it when I beat AT VH, but it makes it easier for sure, I do remember I only attempted him when I had the miasma charm however. Thing is I really rather heal than taking chances as I feel as long you aren't at 100% full health it's much easier to get one shot, of course VH is more tricky than the others in that regard, but to me health regen is more of an safety net like DB, I usually heal immediately if I took like 10% or more damage. Depends also on the weapon of course, I'll still use like 30-40 items on a AT hunt on average (and of course I rarely cart) 😂
Miasma charm without a doubt, can't be having your health cut in half when a monster's weakest attack takes nearly half your health. Wish it helped more with the tick damage. I can deal with normal and tempered Vaal without health regen, but FUCK AT Vaal without it, lol!! Reminds me of the "deadly poison" in MHGU.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I did the Meeting the Gluttons event quest a couple of times. It's shocking how fast low rank monsters die to end game gear. I barely start attacking Great Jagras and it's already dead.
With master rank gear this will be even faster. So if a new low rank player fires a SOS flare and a couple master rank hunters join stuff will be dying really, really fast.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
It's always been like that. I remember trying a village low rank Giadrome in MHFU (the first monster you kill in the game that isn't a minion) with one of the endgame G-Rank greatswords and I think it died with a single full charge.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Jho crowns are really easy to get though. I think the HZD event gave the big one and the (optional) Greatest Jagras the small one?
I still need mini Lunastra but I'm a bit burnt on crown hunting right now so I'll leave it for when I tackle the ones in Iceborne.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Jho crowns are really easy to get though. I think the HZD event gave the big one and the (optional) Greatest Jagras the small one?
I still need mini Lunastra but I'm a bit burnt on crown hunting right now so I'll leave it for when I tackle the ones in Iceborne.
I think both are in the HZD quest actually.

Mini-Luna sucked to get. Finally got her on my 111th kill.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Big and small Jho are both in the Horizon quest.

Big and small Lunastra are the only crowns I'm missing. I'm holding off for now but might casually try for them next week when I have nothing to do before Iceborne.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I didn't think of that about other platforms. It reminds me of the USJ quests that were time limited to Japan even if they eventually got released everywhere.
The SFV big Barroth being late for others was also a bit meh.
Can you imagine if Behemoth was platform exclusive?