• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It actually starts with an unexpectedly good character creator but everything after that is just the worst thing you can do when starting a game.

Incredibly generic story and dialogue that is unskippable, a random and redundant "gameplay setpiece" that doesn't suit the controls at all, a bollocks load of pop-up tutorial boxes that you can't mash through because they ask you every time if you really want to exit them, a 2D map with unindentifiable symbols spammed all over it, utterly bad menus, a forced walking section, running around a generic jungle map for 3 minutes to finally fight monsters for 15 seconds and back to tutorial town again. I honestly do not know where to start and stop.

But of course, what the fuck is this online system? Not only are the menu's unintuitive as hell and not only is the set-up horrendous, worst of all there are absolutely no in-game explanations as to why it doesn't work and what you should do to actually make it work. And like, expeditions only have a work-around-way of going together online? I honestly don't know because the game doesn't tell me and it just doesn't work easily and intuitively.

This is my first Monster Hunter game by the way and I'm not quite sure how this game/seriers has been such a huge success with this bad of an introduction but yeah. This is like Skyward Sword on steroids.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, I thought the onboarding was quite good, and I say that as someone who has tried and bounced off of like six MH titles prior. I thought this one nailed it.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
You should have seen how earlier MonHun games dealt with the FTE. In comparison, the early stretch of Monster Hunter World feels like Level 1-1.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This intro is WAY better than any of the other MHs and actually fairly user friendly. First MH I got into and I didn't have any trouble personally.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IDK man as soon as I landed in the city made of pirate ships and got to wield a twinblade and wrist mounted bug launcher I was pretty much hooked.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, that might be the reason why I haven't gone back. I made it to the home base and did some training but everything was hitting me so quick that I just haven't picked it up again.

Abuguet

Apr 23, 2019
I'm in love with this game. I struggled with the MP at first too, but once it works, it's a blast! Sorry to hear you're not enjoying your first few hours.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I played the demo and thought it absolutely horrendous and deleted it after about half an hour.
18 months later I see amazing reviews, sales and success for the game. But I always think back to that demo...and I just can't get on board.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought it was fine, pretty solid pace and a fluid introduction. It's certainly the best in an otherwise lazy, low-effort series.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually I want to ask, is the MP mandatory for the game? I don't have PS+.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Monster Hunter will never be easy to get into and that's a shame. I dread the moment where I return to it after a year+ of hiatus.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
MH:W is surprisingly leagues ahead of its prior games in terms of onboarding, but it absolutely still is a rough game to get into. There's really nothing else like it though and it's well worth sticking through it. There's a lot going on and it adds even more mechanics over time. The online elements are completely non-intuitive but they work well enough once you get used to how they work.

The series has been a success due to the fact that once you push past the rough start it really is quite an incredible game due to all of the mechanics, they just haven't quite figured out a smooth way to get people into the game.

I remember when playing the 3DS game with friends, one friend said it finally clicked for him and he suddenly 'got it' at about the 40 hour mark hahaha.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
The forced walking crap and non-skippable cutscenes are pretty awful yeah. Once you actually pick quests from the board its good, but before that.... oof. Also yeah, the multiplayer in story quests is awfully done.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
It's not very good but you don't even want to try the previous ones if you thought World's was bad. It's consider an upgrade in this series.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
It's not the best, but it's still better than the hours of fetch quests the series was comfortable with.

Nec

The Fallen
Mar 12, 2019
Yeah... I fell in sleep twice during the prologue (unskipable and de-sync cutscene on PC make it worse), and the online component is really bad, but when you figure everything out is a really fantastic game, I was playing last night for 7 hours straight with friends and it was a great time, I wish that I had more time to play.
Not mandatory, but some bosses can be a pain in the ass on SP.

Abuguet

Apr 23, 2019
Nope, completely optional but it makes the game soooo much better. And while everything in the original game can be soloed, some of the later event monsters are not designed for solo play but are still doable if you like pain.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, completely optional but it makes the game soooo much better. And while everything in the original game can be soloed, some of the later event monsters are not designed for solo play but are still doable if you like pain.

Is that stuff skippable at least? I'm not a completionist by any means but I would like to do more than just the main story.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The map design in the game is terrible. Especially the hub city. What a confusing mess.

The best intro to MH is still 4 which does a good job of hand holding and attempts to explain stuff.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
My only grip with it is the online and how it keeps giving me an error since launch when making a lobby or responding to an SoS.

The game is actually easier playing alone since monsters have a ton of HP and harder to stun with more people.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
The beginning is horrendous. It takes way to damn long for you to actually get to hunt and fight a big monster.

I wound up putting over 250 hours into ths game though, once you stick past the boring beginning it's amazing

SamWilson

Alt account
Banned
Mar 14, 2019
It's just not a user friendly game overall.

From the clunky combat and movement to the UI and menus, I feel like it got popular despite these flaws.

Abuguet

Apr 23, 2019
Is that stuff skippable at least? I'm not a completionist by any means but I would like to do more than just the main story.
Yup. No need to do the event monsters or MP at all. You can critical path solo to the end if you're a good hunter. You'll probably need to craft better gear eventually so you'll have to kill some extra monsters here and there for crafting components. And for the last few missions you have to complete some investigations that require you to explore the maps a bit.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The opening sucks, stick with it. Also, the SOS system is one of the best mp systems out there if you don't have friends that play.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Imo there are only 3 monsters where you need a party. EX/Behemoth, Ancient Leshen and Kulve.

Not only that but everything is toned down dramatically in difficulty in single player and unlike previous MH games you can't ramp up the difficulty by doing hub quests solo.

The hardest way to play MHW is two player ironically.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. No need to do the event monsters or MP at all. You can critical path solo to the end if you're a good hunter. You'll probably need to craft better gear eventually so you'll have to kill some extra monsters here and there for crafting components. And for the last few missions you have to complete some investigations that require you to explore the maps a bit.

Good to know. Thanks.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel I should give this another shot on PC at 60fps -- it was just not doable for me at the variable 30-40ish on PS4 Pro, and the difference basically took Sekiro from unplayable to playable for me.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
As a first time hunter, I agree that the opening itself and early-game introduction leave a lot to be desired.

However, you will be very glad if you muddle through the poorly paced opening quests and barrage of tutorial pop ups as you learn the underlying systems and get used to the unintuitive UI.

The core game is so good, though, and if it grabs you these issues will soon face into the background.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's because I was able to look past the weird UI due to my first MH being Generations, but World left a fantastic first impression to me once you enter the forest and look for Astera or whatever the camp is called. I wanted to fucking live in that forest. So beautiful.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I admit the UI is poor, but once you get past it.. it's a fantastic experience.

SamWilson

Alt account
Banned
Mar 14, 2019
Combat having weight and asking you to commit to your attacks doesn't make it clunky.

This is true....which is why I never mentioned weight at all.

I can rock full Havel's gear in Dark Souls with an ultra greatsword and still have fluid attacks and combat.

MHW's is just clunky.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I'm struggling to get my friends into the game and I may have to play online if I get past the end story (I played for about 50hs on release but never finished the story, now I just restarted the whole thing). Do people really expect/needs mics, or can I play matchmaking mute?