• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Link: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e200313.html

Press release:

Massive Expansion Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Ships 5 Million Units Globally! -Steady
global sales growth backed by high critical acclaim-

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that Monster Hunter World: Iceborne , the massive expansion for Monster Hunter: World for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, the Xbox One * 1 family of devices, including Xbox One X, and PC has shipped over 5 million units * 2 worldwide.

The Monster Hunter series consists of hunting action games that pit players against giant monsters in a beautiful natural environment.Beginning with the first title in 2004, the series established a new genre in which players cooperate to hunt ferocious monsters with their friends, growing into a mega-hit with cumulative sales of the series exceeding 62 million units as of March 13, 2020.With Monster Hunter: World ( MH: W) (released in January 2018), Capcom has continued to enhance the series' global brand value by promoting existing user engagement through regular updates while encouraging lapsed players to return and newcomers to join with free weapons and armor useful for completing the game's story. has helped drive shipments of the game to 15 million units worldwide as of January 2, 2020—the first title in Capcom's history to achieve this record-high.

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne ( MHW: I ) is a massive premium expansion for MH: W .The game features a full narrative experience that continues the story from MH: W , as well as a vast new area, new monsters, a new difficulty level and a new player mechanic.MHW : I achieved 5 million units shipped following steady sales growth backed by global critical acclaim, such as highly-positive review scores following the game's release in September 2019.The game was also honored in December of that year at the PlayStation® Awards 2019, a show that recognizes hit games in the Asian and Japanese regions, winning three awards † , including the PlayStation ™ Network Award.
†Includes awards for MH: W

Further, in addition to the new mobile title Monster Hunter Riders (for iOS / Android), which launched in February 2020 and achieved more than 3 million downloads, Capcom plans to carry out a number of initiatives to further cement the series' position as a global brand, such as with a Hollywood film adaptation of Monster Hunter , a first for the series, scheduled for a September 2020 release.

Capcom remains firmly committed to satisfying the expectations of all stakeholders by leveraging its industry-leading game development capabilities in order to create highly entertaining gameplay experiences.

* 1 Xbox One version available in North America and Europe only

* 2 Includes Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (digital sales) and Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Master Edition (physical shipments and digital sales).

Note: Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Master Edition contains the Monster Hunter: World base game and the massive expansion Monster Hunter World: Iceborne .

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Good for them, it's a great expansion. I think I'm done with it (I don't really care to come back for the increasingly difficult/frustrating monsters that they're going to add post launch) but I played the heck out of it already and I'll be there day 1 for MHW 2.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
It's an amazing expansion that may be better than the base game and have nearly the amount of content that vanilla did. I hope we get another expansion, but if not, I will take Monster Hunter World 2 on the PS5 :)

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of the 5 million, but I'm still grinding out MHW content to try to get to Iceborne. Just took down Vaal Hazak, how close am I?

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I'm one of the 5 million, but I'm still grinding out MHW content to try to get to Iceborne. Just took down Vaal Hazak, how close am I?

That depends. Are you using that new high end gear Capcom put out to get people through the base game quicker? If so, you're very close because you can just make a B-line though the main story.

But if you're grinding out the game using regular old monster parts equipment, you're further away time wise as you may need to stop and grind up your sets a time or two still.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
They finally managed to attain the 1/3 ratio, good for them. Took longer than expected really. Great expansion.

Interesting that the english PR talks about MH Riders.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's more copies sold than most standalone titles ! But then again, Iceborne has about the same amount of content as full-length games. Would have gladly paid the full 60 for the expansion.

TAW, TABS, etc.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Capgods gonna keep capgodding. If they sold 1 million since January they could probably sell another 4m+ for the rest of the year. I think icebourne will eventually sell 10m+. Insane really. Monster hunter world 2 will be a monster at launch.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah, dude. This game is too good, and it does the service model extremely well. Regular updates, events that recur often enough that you don't mind missing them, none of that battle pass or paid cosmetics overload, and content that scales for singleplayer. Based Capcom. World is doing most of what I wanted the series to do in the past. Now if they could only simplify MP sessions and stuff, I would be practically out of complaints.

Last edited:

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Capcom has adapted Monster Hunter nicely away from the annual new release model. It should help with profitability.

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
Capgods gonna keep capgodding. If they sold 1 million since January they could probably sell another 4m+ for the rest of the year. I think icebourne will eventually sell 10m+. Insane really. Monster hunter world 2 will be a monster at launch.
I dont know, I dont think they will be able to replicate worlds success.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
Great game with great success. It is not perfect but it is more than I could ever dream of back in the PSP days. Hope they'll keep the content coming while they prepare for the next gen version.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I dont know, I dont think they will be able to replicate worlds success.
You're doubting MHW2? There's no signs of fatigue or loss of momentum. This series picked up millions of new fans who bought it post launch and those that did day 1 were very satisfied.

What makes you think less will buy it week 1 next time around? In other good news the ever growing digital ratio will mean Capcom, Sony etc will make it even more money as there's no extra cuts like with physical.

furfoot

Dec 12, 2017
And still PC port is messed up since Kulve patch with draconian DRM and anti cheat measures.

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
You're doubting MHW2? There's no signs of fatigue or loss of momentum. This series picked up millions of new fans who bought it post launch and those that did day 1 were very satisfied.

What makes you think less will buy it week 1 next time around? In other good news the ever growing digital ratio will mean Capcom, Sony etc will make it even more money as there's no extra cuts like with physical.
Dunno, Iceborne's retention seems low compared to previous expansions.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: antagonizing other users
There is a high correlation between acting sour about Monster Hunter World/Iceborne's sales and posting frequently in Media Create threads. 🤔

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
It's an amazing expansion that may be better than the base game and have nearly the amount of content that vanilla did. I hope we get another expansion, but if not, I will take Monster Hunter World 2 on the PS5 :)
I think its practically guaranteed we will see a 4K 'Ultimate' version of MHW on PS5 with maybe 5 new monsters and 1 new zone. Then in 3 years MHW2.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
deserves every copy. But I guess it means it only sold 1M on PC? expected way more

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
World expansion sold better than most mainline games. What a monster. MHW2 is gonna be massive.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Reached 700 hours on PC this week, 650 on PS4. I could use another expansion.

Vorpal

Nov 4, 2017
I really wish I could have gotten into it, but by the time it rolled out I was so burned out by MHW that I just wasn't having fun with it. Maybe with another year of downtime I can go back to it. I hope so. It really looks good.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
couldnt wait and ended up buying on pc for $55. Completely worth it, there is so much content. Of course I saw it on gmg for $40 2 weeks later lol but I'm now at 100+ hours in on the pc version

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Grats to the Monster Hunter Team! I put in 800 hours hours PC and PS4 version combined and Iceborn has been amazing.

Excited to see what they're gonna do next.