• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
If I haven't played much of the base game yet, is there any reason to buy Iceborne before completing it?
You'll get access to some of the new tools and moves, like the Clutch Claw, before you beat the base game. You don't need to buy it to get most of the balance changes or QoL improvements though.

Jan 10, 2018
If I'm buying this I'm thinking of doing another run of the base game. Are there any changes to the base game as well or are all changes reserved for the expansion?

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
yea a real shame...pc players reward capcom for their shitty-ass delayed port and capcom decides to continue mistreating pc players
but i'm going to reward them again by buying iceborne on pc so i guess capcom has no incentive to change
Really hope World 2 will be day and date cause it would be really ridicolous and stupid if it wont. MHW sold 4 mln copies on steam. 6 months later. With a bad port.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
If I'm buying this I'm thinking of doing another run of the base game. Are there any changes to the base game as well or are all changes reserved for the expansion?
You'll have the clutch claw (if you buy iceborne) and all of the balance changes (regardless)... that's pretty much it.

ReddishGUI

Oct 25, 2017
I think MHW is a disc and Iceborne is a code in box.

71xkN1DAI5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Looks like an Iceborne disc so I assumed both were on the disc.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Great reviews as expected, bodes well for the MHW sequel in the future, hopefully they can add more new monsters than this expansion did and bring back some skeletons like crabs and snake wyverns.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't played MHW in ages... maybe I should go back and see how's the game and it's expansion.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Tried getting back into MHW after not playing for a year. It was rough but this update has me interested.

Is there an overview of what all is being changed/added? Preferably in video?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Tried getting back into MHW after not playing for a year. It was rough but this update has me interested.

ho boy

its a mountain of stuff man! We need to narrow things down a bit!

What is most important to you based on your current experience with the game?

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017
I guess my other question would be if I buy the disc version of both to replace my stand-alone world copy, will my old save file work for the new game?

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

ho boy

im looking for the same as him lol

i played base game....whats all the new things in this one

Or does the dlc do a good job at starting and telling you, "here's the claw and how to use it"

Hopefully, i shouldnt have to look to countless youtube videos to find out what is new and how to use the new features, but i will if i have to

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
holy shit at this scores...
it's a shame that i burned myself out with too many hours on the vanilla game...

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
im looking for the same as him lol

i played base game....whats all the new things in this one

Or does the dlc do a good job at starting and telling you, "here's the claw and how to use it"

Hopefully, i shouldnt have to look to countless youtube videos to find out what is new and how to use the new features, but i will if i have to
The problem is that there's a lot of new stuff. Everyone weapon has new moves, 20+ new monsters or new versions of existing monsters. New balance changes to moves and skills.

It's very hard to point to one video with all of the changes because a) it doesn't exist, and b) it'd probably be 5-6 hours long if it did.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
ho boy

I mean, I got 90 hours out of the base game only using the long sword.

Cool looking gear is what's most important I guess. I did see that all the weapons got new moves so that's cool.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The problem is that there's a lot of new stuff. Everyone weapon has new moves, 20+ new monsters or new versions of existing monsters. New balance changes to moves and skills.

It's very hard to point to one video with all of the changes because a) it doesn't exist, and b) it'd probably be 5-6 hours long if it did.
thats fine, knowing that there are new moves per weapon, that is enough

now i will likely go and look for videos on weapons i care about, for me glaive and horn, and thats it.

as for more monsters, i expect that lol. Balance changes, not a biggie there, you figure it out as you play (might look into patch notes tho)

but i guess to me, its more of whats new in general

-new moves per weapon
-new rank
-new monsters
-new claw mechanic
etc

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I got 90 hours out of the base game only using the long sword.

Cool looking gear is what's most important I guess. I did see that all the weapons got new moves so that's cool.

thats fine, knowing that there are new moves per weapon, that is enough

now i will likely go and look for videos on weapons i care about, for me glaive and horn, and thats it.

as for more monsters, i expect that lol. Balance changes, not a biggie there, you figure it out as you play (might look into patch notes tho)

but i guess to me, its more of whats new in general

-new moves per weapon
-new rank
-new monsters
-new claw mechanic
etc

Please check out the Monster Hunter Iceborne OT!

Should be the easiest way to catch up on all the info fast man!

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Damn, I got burnt after 300 hours. I just don't find it rewarding to farm over and over for a gem. Even with trying different weapons, didn't spice it up enough.

No friends + randoms = someone always dying real quick.

Have to pass, it'll feel fresh for a while then it's just farm, grind, farm, grind.

Oct 27, 2017
HDR in the base game was abysmal.....looks like they added a contrast setting to the HDR area. Can anyone whos played the base game and the new one comment on if HDR now doesnt look like washed out garbage?

"For HDR settings, in addition to brightness and color, you can now adjust contrast. Each option can now be adjusted in greater detail. "

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Cool I'll wait then, thank you!

If all balance changes and the clutch claw are added to World without the need to purchase Iceborne, I'd say you can hold off. If not, I suggest you seriously consider picking up Iceborne as well. There is a "Master Rank Edition" or something to that effect that includes both. The problem is I just don't know how OG World is affected or not affected by Iceborne.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
amazing scores so far, rare for an expansion to review so high.
Really? In our Game Critic Fantasy League we fought over it because it was easy points, it seems hard for an expansion like this to score bad. I mean it implies you already like the game in a way if you are reviewing it.

Didn't realize it'd go THIS high though goddam...

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So any reviews touch on the performance improvements in the base game? I know there actually are, but I'd like to know how extensive they are.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
So any reviews touch on the performance improvements in the base game? I know there actually are, but I'd like to know how extensive they are.

Might need digital foundry to weigh in

Ive heard only from a a single reviewer and what people have noticed from the beta so far

All i can say is that we have lots of anecdotal reports that Iceborne is better optimized across the board

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how a game that is so fun co-op can screw up co-op so badly yet still get great reviews. I would've loved the game if co-op would've worked like every other damn game.

VAPORxDYNE

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if party members need to have seen mission cutscenes beforehand in order to quest together? it's the only thing that will stop me from playing this.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was going to buy the original disc for PS4 for around $20 later this year. Is there a physical version that has that and this dlc (with no extra fluff like tin statues), just the expanded game?

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Fuuuuuck I'm so torn if I want to get this on PS4 or wait for PC. I double dipped on World and went in hard on the PS4 version, but it's been so long I'm afraid I'll be behind the pack in terms of gems and weapons.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if party members need to have seen mission cutscenes beforehand in order to quest together? it's the only thing that will stop me from playing this.

Unfortunately that is still the case and I honestly dont know why they

1. Arent Skippable

2. Dont play for all players so you can just que up together

Either way its ONLY for the story quests and that makes up on a segment of the full game. Just push through the assigned missions fast solo separately and drop in like before. Youll be done with story junk in no time and on the glorious endgame

I was going to buy the original disc for PS4 for around $20 later this year. Is there a physical version that has that and this dlc (with no extra fluff like tin statues), just the expanded game?

Yes. Its simply called the Master Edition and its available physically and digitally