• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
iceborne-featured-mhw.jpg

Metacritic: 90
Opencritic: 90

IGN - 9/10
A true beast of an expansion, Monster Hunter World: Iceborne adds a boatload of impressive new and returning monsters and improvements to an already incredible game. It's almost big enough to be a sequel in terms of the sheer amount of content it adds – even if it leans a little bit too heavily on Subspecies and Variants of familiar monsters at times (though that's an issue veteran fans may not be bothered by as much). Iceborne is exciting and creative throughout, reiterating Monster Hunter: World's place as one of the very best games of this generation.

VGC - 5/5
A monster-sized expansion that builds on and enhances Monster Hunter: World in every way, Iceborne is an essential upgrade for hunters craving new monsters, challenges, and gear.

GameSpot - 9/10
There's no more fussing about with new systems or worrying about ruffling the feathers of hardcore fans with a direction change in the series; those teething problems have already come and gone. Iceborne is a confident step into the future of the franchise, and it's hard not to think about what might come next.

GamesRadar+ - 4.5/5
Between new monsters, added challenge, exciting build variety, and flashy new combos, Iceborne delivers a strictly better version of an already great game. Every Monster Hunter World fan should play Iceborne, and now more than ever, everyone and their dog should play Monster Hunter World.

Game Informer - 8.25/10
Stepping back into Monster Hunter World for Iceborne reminded me how much I adore this game, but it also exposes its flaws. Capcom didn't improve much for the expansion, like once again having a boring tower defense story mission and making you separately watch scenes solo before you can join up in co-op. Even so, surviving together to get that jackpot of materials for better gear hasn't lost its allure, and Iceborne challenges you to be a better player and teammate with its arduous fights. The return trip is worth it, just don't expect many upgrades to the experience.

Easy Allies - 9/10

In the most vital ways, Iceborne nails what it needs to as an expansion. It's easy to marvel at both how much there is and the quality of so much of it. There are things this review hasn't even mentioned, such as the elaborate endgame, but these elements are probably better to discover on your own. There is no doubt that Iceborne is worth both the money and time, leaving such an impression that it's hard not to be optimistic about the series' future.

We Got This Covered - 5/5
So, yeah. What do you want me to say? I spent my entire Labor Day weekend playing this thing, and the only thing I want to do while writing this is go play it some more. The constant weaving of old and new, great pacing, and added flexibility in upgrades and customization make it a near-endlessly enjoyable expansion. It's appropriate that white powder is so prevalent in Iceborne, because I'm addicted.

RPG Site - 10/10
If Monster Hunter: World was Capcom ambitiously reinventing Monster Hunter for a current-generation home console, then Iceborne has been them aggressively laying the groundwork for the series' future, confident in the game that they have created. It's rare that you see a company pour this much time and budget into a simple expansion, let alone a little more than a year and a half after a game's release. Not only is Iceborne the largest expansion that the series has ever seen, is no longer remains a question if Monster Hunter: World is the best that the series has to offer. With Iceborne's release, there's simply no contest.

God Is A Geek - 10/10
As a piece of additional content for an already solid game, Iceborne is an incredible achievement. What was becoming fatigued has been given a shot in the arm, and anyone coming into Monster Hunter World fresh right now is in for a genuine treat with a huge, lovingly-crafted base game and one of the best expansions I've ever played. For all the veterans of the game or the franchise, though, it's business as usual – only bolder, better and beastlier than it was before.

Last edited:

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not surprised that an incredible game has received an incredible expansion ^_^

Can't wait for tomorrow.

Kounce

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
Man, I forgot to log in for the Attack gem. haven't played World in about a year, I was thoroughly hooked, but I'm jumping in again. I'm sure I'll get my ass handed to me from the jump, rusty as hell.

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
That's what we like to see! Trying to get everything I can out of Astral Chain before this drops.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
So happy World got this amazing Expansion. I thought we'd have to wait for a World 2 but this is going to be a treat :)

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
That's what we like to see! Trying to get everything I can out of Astral Chain before this drops.

Lmao same. There's no way I'll be able to swap play sessions between the two games because interchanging the controls will make my head explode.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Only really big disappointing part from the reviews is you still have to watch a new monster's cutscene before you can summon other hunters.

Otherwise sounds fantastic. Really happy the new gathering hub is laid out so much better.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome game gets more awesome. Good stuff.

Curious to see how it will sell compared to the base game's monstrous numbers.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Capcom are really the stars of this year, picking this up for sure this holiday

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
If Monster Hunter: World was Capcom ambitiously reinventing Monster Hunter for a current-generation home console, then Iceborne has been them aggressively laying the groundwork for the series' future, confident in the game that they have created. It's rare that you see a company pour this much time and budget into a simple expansion, let alone a little more than a year and a half after a game's release. Not only is Iceborne the largest expansion that the series has ever seen, is no longer remains a question if Monster Hunter: World is the best that the series has to offer. With Iceborne's release, there's simply no contest.

The amount of praise on offer here... Can't wait for Friday to roll around and dig in.

man-sweating-due-to-diaphoresis.jpg