• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Gaijin Hunter's analysis with some cool insights and tidbits I missed out on when I watched the stream

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully we get at least some more new monsters, I'm still hopeful they might show a new skeleton (or bring back an old one that hasn't been used yet) for a new monster at least, we'll see.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
I really need to get back into this game. Played lots at launch. Like 50 hours in. $40 seems pretty steep. Is there details whats new? Basically like a whole new game

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah still early, but with that being one of the more popular complaints, it's surprising to me they didn't come out and nip that in the bud with the first showing.
I'm not going to lose faith until I see Narga weapons that are black fur on an iron weapon, but I'll admit it's not looking great.

It makes me wonder if they actually prefer how these weapons look, which would be very sad for me if that was the case.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Well let me position this theory

I think a lot of Content was made before a lot of the feedback really settled in hard on MHW. They clearly started making this quickly after they wrapped up MHW. Could explain why the first couple monsters dont have fresh skeletons

So im thinking that as they roll out info on content that was developed later in the process we will see more and more variety and stuff built in response to feedback.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Wait so are you arguing its going to be larger than what was done previously or calling the statement misleading? I will say that Socks statement is more strongly worded on content volume than the more reserved statement the Devs made regarding volume since they said Less than the base game

You could argue that both of those statments are basically saying the same things so I stand by my current predictions

They did not say it was the only map
I'm saying that Socks' statement is a lot more than just misleading. Half of the monsters of the base game (25) would still be more than any MH expansion done so far.
I'm also saying that from that initial reveal (4 monsters + Tigrex teased), I really doubt we'll get to 20 monsters (the average so far) when Iceborne is releasing in december. I feel that 15 monsters is the optimistic prediction so far.

And while they did not say it was the only map, they also didn't imply there'd be more than that. Especially given their insistence on it being the biggest map in the franchise.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying that Socks' statement is a lot more than just misleading. Half of the monsters of the base game (25) would still be more than any MH expansion done so far.
I'm also saying that from that initial reveal (4 monsters + Tigrex teased), I really doubt we'll get to 20 monsters (the average so far) when Iceborne is releasing in december. I feel that 15 monsters is the optimistic prediction so far.

And while they did not say it was the only map, they also didn't imply there'd be more than that. Especially given their insistence on it being the biggest map in the franchise.

Well we are at an impasse between optimism and pessimism

I dont personally find 20 mons and 2 maps out of the scope but I get what you are saying regarding precedent

I just hope my prediction is closer than yours lol

Never been a better time to jump in!

Last edited:

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair DrROBschiz , you were pretty optimistic about World having the biggest roster of any initial release until the roster leak came out, so while a little optimism never hurts, I don't think we can qualify yours as just a little!

Oh man I don't even remember what my estimates were at the time but I think it was in the 50's lol

Thats why THIS time im settling in UNDER HALF on my current predictions! :p

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind only one new map, but there had better be a hell of a lot more than just the revealed monsters for $40

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I think the release of the expansion (in this case rather than DLC) will be the perfect timing for getting into current gen MH. Exciting!

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind only one new map, but there had better be a hell of a lot more than just the revealed monsters for $40
We've already got confirmation of more new species than most G-rank expansions give us, so I wouldn't worry.

We're still guaranteed a final boss elder that'll be kept secret until launch and a ton of subspecies to pad out the roster.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Hold up, so you're calling his statement misleading based on assumptions and inference? C'mon man. Being skeptical is fair enough though. This having 20+ monster would be a dream, and really surprising but who knows.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018

I'm expecting 20-25 large monsters, which would qualify as "rivaling" the base game's 30. ~15-20 will just be subspecies or rare species though. MHW has a high ratio of new monsters, and those traditionally get their subspecies in the next expansion/game.

This is inline with 4U, where 15 of its 23 new large monsters were subspecies or rare species. 15 monsters total would be bizarrely low.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
59788038_2367563560139973_574241602831122432_o.jpg

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I guess the E3 bit will be at MS' conference rather than a separate video.
Hold up, so you're calling his statement misleading based on assumptions and inference? C'mon man. Being skeptical is fair enough though. This having 20+ monster would be a dream, and really surprising but who knows.
Sure, really skeptical if you prefer.
I'm expecting 20-25 large monsters, which would qualify as "rivaling" the base game's 30. ~15-20 will just be subspecies or rare species though. MHW has a high ratio of new monsters, and those traditionally get their subspecies in the next expansion/game.

This is inline with 4U, where 15 of its 23 new large monsters were subspecies or rare species. 15 monsters total would be bizarrely low.
That's fair. Just trying to stay in proportion with the base roster and previous expansions precedents.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the E3 bit will be at MS' conference rather than a separate video.
It still seems like Sony has the deal on MHW marketing. Nothing related to it has ever been a part of an XBox presentation.

I'm sure Capcom would want to have Iceborne on a main stage, but would Sony be OK with MS getting it?

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I posted a screenshot in my twitter. I can run around like I'm in Dark Souls. Def grabbing the Digital Deluxe just for it.

Yeah, this is a game I have no problem getting a deluxe edition for. Put in at least 200 hours with MHW and I haven't played in a looong time, either. Would love to jump back in.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
wow had no idea people thought $40 for an expansion was expensive. I guess MTX have become the norm. If its anything like the other MH expansions its a lot of content for less than the usual asking price.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
wow had no idea people thought $40 for an expansion was expensive. I guess MTX have become the norm. If its anything like the other MH expansions its a lot of content for less than the usual asking price.
I guess people didn't watch Gaijin Hunter video. He, indeed, points out that it's cheaper than usual. He also reminds us that the new zone is way way bigger than the rest.

Gaijin Hunter's analysis with some cool insights and tidbits I missed out on when I watched the stream

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
And my playtime can attest to me having done every quest except one (The one you had to grind out to HR100 for. Fuck that.) before reaching the 100 hour mark.

Congratulations i guess?

What's the point to keep playing when the endgame at the time consisted of nothing but boring as sin tempered elder dragons?

Endgame wasn't the best but most generational openers didn't have the best endgame setups

I still enjoyed it

Iceborne should do the trick

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What's the point to keep playing when the endgame at the time consisted of nothing but boring as sin tempered elder dragons?
Why are you claiming it doesn't have +100 hour worth of content then if you just dropped it after doing the quests? It's irrelevant if you think the remaining content is worth it or not.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iceborne is $40 because of its amount of content relative to World, a game that was $60 at launch. Not relative to the content of previous entries.

People who expected a lower price just because Generations Ultimate has more content or whatever were being delusional.
In UK, if what someone posted is correct, is costs pretty much the same as the main game did day 1 (physically, not inflated digital price). Just a tiny bit less.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Looks fantastic. Not sure I can hop back in though; I burned myself out over a hundred hours or so in the first two or three weeks.