• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Add me to the list... Tried to figure it out with multiple weapon types, tried ele setups, non ele setups, nothing works for me with melee. Low hitzones, so I never feel like I'm getting anywhere. Massive lingering aoe hitboxes on everything, bullshit counterattack. I really want to like this monster because the design and concept is so damn cool, but it takes me like 16 minutes to kill her when I'm dropping most other things in 6-7 minutes. Maybe it will click one day...
I just died 42 minutes into the fight so I don't think we're on the same list, really.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Finally got around to MHW (have owned a disc copy since last year but got sidetracked by Witcher 3 and Persona 5, and also I have very little time to play games so it takes me forever to play anything). Should I get Iceborne now or drop my obligatory 60 hours and then buy it when it might be on sale? Would the content make the Vanilla experience more fun or is it mostly endgame stuff?
I'd say play for 10 hours and ask again so we can tell you if the changes that are locked behind the expansion that apply to the old content are worth it to you or not. It could be that you want to wait for a sale (even though I doubt it's coming soon) or that you want to jump right away.
The most game-changing addition Iceborne puts into the old content is probably the clutch claw.

You could also read this update changelist which indicate what is Iceborne exclusive (with a blue icon).

BigBlue

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Just bought iceborne and Banbaro wrecked my shit so bad.

I did not expect him to plow a fucking tree and one shot me. I need to git gud and have better gear before I tackle these MR monsters

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Improved my MR Legiana hunt from 20 minutes to 14 minutes. Feels good to make progress like this.

I really enjoy the Nargacuga set, if only for the razor sharp bonus. Even for a Hammer it's great, since you don't have to run handicraft anymore and the little bit of white sharpness lasts long enough to get by on sharpening in between area changes.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Just got my assed kicked by Namielle. I can't figure out the fight.

Add me to the list... Tried to figure it out with multiple weapon types, tried ele setups, non ele setups, nothing works for me with melee. Low hitzones, so I never feel like I'm getting anywhere. Massive lingering aoe hitboxes on everything, bullshit counterattack. I really want to like this monster because the design and concept is so damn cool, but it takes me like 16 minutes to kill her when I'm dropping most other things in 6-7 minutes. Maybe it will click one day...

That's one fight where you need to have both water and lightning resistance. Lots of nulberries too. Don't know if having elderseal will help but you could try it.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Hybris right now. :P

7EDlifI.gif

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Guys how can I do a KT run?

Every time I try to join a hunt it says no one posted one!

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Guys how can I do a KT run?

Every time I try to join a hunt it says no one posted one!
Coordinate yourself with me and kageroo, we want to do at least a couple this week.
Most people won't be interested in running it, specially if they farmed it a lot before Iceborne, because its weapons are practically worthless right now.
Myself I hardly did Kulve precisely because I suspected the weapons wouldn't be useful once the expansion landed and I'm just interested in tickets for layered armor.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Leaving shortly and don't have time to scour earlier posts - would an external ssd have a major benefit for a non-pro PS4?

these loadtimes are too much. And I played Freedom 2 off of a PSP UMD drive for a while.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Health augment has a very short internal cooldown on it that made it useless for spread shot stuff in the base game. A lot of people have been saying that they increased the internal cooldown on it, but I haven't seen any extensive testing to prove that. The biggest thing I've noticed is it doesn't work very well with CB's SAED anymore, but they also increased the speed at which the phials do damage so the hits aren't as spread out anymore. It's hard to tell if they changed health augment just by looking at healing from that move. It still works just as it did before on hammer and LS as far as I can tell.

Hm okay, will have to test it on ZSD with a Switch Axe then because the hits are really quick for that one as well.

Fireatwill

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Leaving shortly and don't have time to scour earlier posts - would an external ssd have a major benefit for a non-pro PS4?

these loadtimes are too much. And I played Freedom 2 off of a PSP UMD drive for a while.
I didn't try an external SSD. I justthe HDD to SSD into my non-pro PS4. it was super simple, and I can tell you that load times went from over a minute to about 20 seconds.

tchiem

Jun 3, 2018

I got an external SSD last week for my original phat PS4 and the improvements were really drastic. The load times are usually around 20-30 seconds now and it was very painless to set up. Best 40 bucks I've ever spent.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I never thought I'd say this, but I kinda want MR AT Elders to be a thing.

I want there to be a better set with Artillery Secret (and the MR Teo Y armor to look like the alpha version).

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Kinda of getting around my SOS problem by looking at SOS's over and over and joining someone else doing my mission.

Got to Barioth mission and no one joined my SOS, so I quit and looked at SOS and there were like 10 Barioth missions on the board so I picked one and did it with 4p.

I've played up to G3 in GU/XX but never fought a Barioth, so this was my first time encountering him and daaaaaammnnn, that had to be the most challenging/hardcore/intense monster I've fought in all of GU/XX and World+Iceborne so far. At first seemed almost impossible with his speed and huge reach range, but got the hang of it a bit and with 4 of us we cleared him with 2 faints (not mine) and in 33 mins after breaking both arms and severing the tail. Was pretty close, a lot of near death moments for us all. Really satisfying clear and one of my favorite MH fights I've done. I think the move I still had the most issue avoiding was his side tackle. I know the trick is to just not ever be on his side but sometimes with all his jumping around you find yourself there and he goes for the check and he's just so big and covers so much ground I don't know how to get out of the way without taking a pretty decent hit. The rest was mostly avoidable and I found it best as a hammer user to just stay in his face to avoid the tail swipes and stuff. That ice tail swipe is crazy.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I never thought I'd say this, but I kinda want MR AT Elders to be a thing.

I want there to be a better set with Artillery Secret (and the MR Teo Y armor to look like the alpha version).
I'd be all for them if they were better designed. The core idea behind AT elders was great, it was the execution that was bad. Though some were fun, I legit enjoy AT Teo.

Elider

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
Have we learned anything about drop rates? In HR, capture vs kill didn't really matter as far as rewards went (except for Deviljho and Uragaan, I guess) In MR, though, I notice you get more rewards for capture, which leads me to believe that carving has higher odds for rare drops to compensate. This was the case in old games, and ultimately the choice of capture/kill depended on the monster you were hunting, or the item you wanted from it. Now people tend to capture a lot, but I wonder if that's always the best solution.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
they changed the way the decorations are displayed for level 4 doubles

Edit: oh no they didnt, i just had the other setting on lol

Last edited:

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Tempered Scarred Yian Garuga might be the most batshit crazy monster in the game. Nothing short of a miracle I managed to complete that investigation with randoms online.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Are there random optional arena quests that just randomly pop up and go ?

Because this along with a Yian Garuga appeared, beat them just, and now they vanished

F6Pzztk.gif

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone else feel like they made it harder to make an "optimal" armor set in master rank? So many pieces with skills I want also have skills completely irrelevant to the build I'm going for tacked on. It felt like the HR armor sets were more focused if that makes sense.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The optional arena quests show up if you capture the monster, then disappear once you slay them.
Awe, I always asumed you just like, relocate them or something if you cap a monster. I know you cut their tails off and steal their teeth, so what quality of life is that anyway, but that's still a bummer.

Although if it's the same monster I guess that means all of them have regenerative properties

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Awe, I always asumed you just like, relocate them or something if you cap a monster. I know you cut their tails off and steal their teeth, so what quality of life is that anyway, but that's still a bummer.

Although if it's the same monster I guess that means all of them have regenerative properties

You can also re-capture them in the arena, go figure what happens with them afterwards.