• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I got the LBG too, I'm not impressed mainly due to negative affinity, but I also really don't have the right set / decos yet to go with.
I was able to fix most of the affinity problems with the right mix of Tenderizer and Expert jewels, but I admit it's hardly ideal. The Barroth LBG is probably better if you're looking for an early MR 'neutral' LBG, but I figured I might as well make the LBG that complements the set.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Man. Other monsters interfering in your fights is so much worse in Iceborne. It actually makes me miss Bazel. At least with him a dung pod was pretty much 100% guaranteed to make him leave. Now half the time you'll fire off a dung pod and the monster just keeps hanging around.

Hell, in the Brachy hunt I just did, at numerous points I had an Azure Rathalos and a Lavasioth in the area. It was actually kinda fun watching the three of them fight...until Azure Rath carted me.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man. Other monsters interfering in your fights is so much worse in Iceborne. It actually makes me miss Bazel. At least with him a dung pod was pretty much 100% guaranteed to make him leave. Now half the time you'll fire off a dung pod and the monster just keeps hanging around.

Hell, in the Brachy hunt I just did, at numerous points I had an Azure Rathalos and a Lavasioth in the area. It was actually kinda fun watching the three of them fight...until Azure Rath carted me.

Dung pod has worked great for me still...

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, and another thing from that hunt. Brachy and Azure Rath got into a turf war twice. That's the first time I've ever seen that happen.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Joining an SOS is bullshit as always, 9 out of 10 gives me a failed message, I can't believe they still haven't figured out how to fix this shitty MP.
The only times I fail to join an SOS is if I'm not quick enough and it fills up.

I don't know what to tell you if it's not that or your connection.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I can relate. I recently had a Acidic Glavenus fight in the Rotten Vale go so far off the rails when a Deviljho decided he was going to just move in with this Glavenus. We'd dump like four or five dung pods on him before he'd finally leave only to have him either A.) Come back in 20 seconds or B.) Have the Glavenus chase after him. It dragged what would've been a clean 15 minute hunt to about 35 minutes as NOTHING could be done as long as that Deviljho was around.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Just ran a MR Kirin O_o My heart was going fast

Grqvb51.gif

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017

Banbaro might as well be the new Bazel for me. He shows up on every map, has a bad habit on roaring right behind you before you see him, and he fucks up whatever you're trying to do because he's so damn big and all of his attacks are even bigger.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
I got the LBG too, I'm not impressed mainly due to negative affinity, but I also really don't have the right set / decos yet to go with.

Btw what was the LBG in the beta, it couldn't be that anja LBG , it had thunder and fire...!

Also if someone wants to get added to the squad just @ me, or ask when you're in the session.
ID currently is
[Hidden content]
Just joined— when you get a chance can you add me? Thanks!

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So questions about the End game...

So does the Guiding Lands replace all optional quests? Do you need to hope you find a Zinogre to actually be able to make it's gear?

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Of fking course they make Brachydios's Blastblight work like previous titles lol.

Favorite to least favorite tier 3 monster so far : Barioth > Nargacuga > Glavenus = Brachydios >>>>>>>>>>>>> Tigrex

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I finally fought Barioth. Surprisingly docile guy, far simpler than I expected.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST.

I carted in the first fucking five minutes! It was like I was fighting Nergigante for the first time again, though this guy just follows up his divebombs with even more body checks and lunges. Fuuuuucking hell. I'm surprised I managed to keep it to that one faint, even though I needed 4 voluntary trips back to camp just to restock on potions.

The fight took me exactly 39 minutes.

Looking forward to shaving down that time. Armor is meh, but most of its weapons are surprisingly cool, except for the Hammer and Hunting Horn sadly. So I will need the materials anyway.

Also RIP Serious Handler. Excitable A-lister, I envy you.

Oct 26, 2017
Guiding Lands feels like a mini Monster Hunter MMO in a way.

Joining random groups with no set objective and monsters roaming around on their own in the world.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I saw on the road map that there is 3 quests coming for Horizon cross over event. Wasn't the original just 1? Any chance this is far more substantial?

Oct 26, 2017
This is what I always wanted. Damn you January!

I could imagine it working on a larger scale. It's different from normal quests in that there's no set time or cart limit so you just stay there and kill and gather as much as you want.

It's definitely more casual than normal play since you don't need to worry about carting three times although monsters will eventually leave after enough time passes so you can't take forever to kill whatever you're fighting.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I finally fought Barioth. Surprisingly docile guy, far simpler than I expected.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST.

I carted in the first fucking five minutes! It was like I was fighting Nergigante for the first time again, though this guy just follows up his divebombs with even more body checks and lunges. Fuuuuucking hell. I'm surprised I managed to keep it to that one faint, even though I needed 4 voluntary trips back to camp just to restock on potions.

The fight took me exactly 39 minutes.

Looking forward to shaving down that time. Armor is meh, but most of its weapons are surprisingly cool, except for the Hammer and Hunting Horn sadly. So I will need the materials anyway.

Also RIP Serious Handler. Excitable A-lister, I envy you.

Focus on it's wing-arm ASAP, Barioth became MUCH more manageable once at least one of it's wing-arm break.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Focus on it's wing-arm ASAP, Barioth became MUCH more manageable once at least one of it's wing-arm break.
I think I ended up breaking both of them, but Barioth always ended up too far away for me to capitalize on the openings its stumbling gave me and he still jumped around a lot. So it didn't make that much of a difference in my experience. That's probably on me, though. It was the first time ever I fought him, so my positioning was shit and I probably took a ton of damage from not knowing when to swing and when not.

It really did remind me of my first Nergigante fights, which were just like that.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I think I ended up breaking both of them, but Barioth always ended up too far away for me to capitalize on the openings its stumbling gave me and he still jumped around a lot. So it didn't make that much of a difference in my experience. That's probably on me, though. It was the first time ever I fought him, so my positioning was shit and I probably took a ton of damage from not knowing when to swing and when not.

It really did remind me of my first Nergigante fights, which were just like that.

Yeah, it didn't exactly give you more opening to wail on him, but at least it disable his ability to quickly chain attack.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Never played any other MH game before. Should I know these characters like the handler and the commander or is everyone brand new?
Everyone is new. There's one character (the Excitable A-lister) who appeared in a previous game under a different name, but you don't need to know anything about him.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
You can break the tail with enough damage, but cutting it off after breaking it is only possible when the tail is red hot.

Nope, you can cut it without it being hot.

Honestly? I wish some tail/horn cuts working like in MHFU, were you needed to do either a certain amount of element damage or they'd only break during a certain situation. I miss that.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I saw on the road map that there is 3 quests coming for Horizon cross over event. Wasn't the original just 1? Any chance this is far more substantial?
The original has three quests. The one that gets you the Watcher Palico set, the one that gets you the Aloy full armor set, and then I think the third gives you both the Aloy Gamma full armor set and Aloy layered armor. I would assume that a new trio of quests would follow a similar format.

Stratosphere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Crit Eye on Hammer not worth it unless you pair it with Crit Boost? Should I just focus on Atk if I cant get CB +3?

JayDee

Oct 28, 2017
Probably did like 6 azure rathalos investigations today with each having 2-3 gold rewards. Got 0 mantles. Decided to do a random rathalos one with 2 silver rewards and got a mantle from there.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Is Crit Eye on Hammer not worth it unless you pair it with Crit Boost? Should I just focus on Atk if I cant get CB +3?

imo if anyone is going for crit, crit boost level 1 is such a damn good bang for your buck. Its 30% extra right off the bat. Well worth working that into your build. Level 2 and 3 don't increase it as much so just rock level 1 of crit boost and stack attack for the rest.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
imo if anyone is going for crit, crit boost level 1 is such a damn good bang for your buck. Its 30% extra right off the bat. Well worth working that into your build. Level 2 and 3 don't increase it as much so just rock level 1 of crit boost and stack attack for the rest.
It isn't 30% extra. Critical hits do 25% extra damage and Crit Boost 1 raises it to 30%.

I think the inverse is true actually. I mean, Crit Boost (extra crit damage) is worthless if your weapon doesn't have any crit chance/affinity to begin with.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It isn't 30% extra. Critical hits do 25% extra damage and Crit Boost 1 raises it to 30%.

I think the inverse is true actually. I mean, Crit Boost (extra crit damage) is worthless if your weapon doesn't have any crit chance/affinity to begin with.

Oh I didn't realize it was just 5% extra. Makes more sense how it's level 2 and 3 gains are balanced.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
So, when it says "Easier to trigger" on Latent Power levels 6 and 7, how exactly is it easier? I'm guessing it's either take less damage or wait less time (or hopefully both), but how good of a boost is that?

Latent Power is a cool skill, but I don't think anyone used it against a monster without a dedicated DoT aura in the base game.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
So, when it says "Easier to trigger" on Latent Power levels 6 and 7, how exactly is it easier? I'm guessing it's either take less damage or wait less time (or hopefully both), but how good of a boost is that?

Latent Power is a cool skill, but I don't think anyone used it against a monster without a dedicated DoT aura in the base game.

From fextralife wiki:

Latent Power (levels 1 to 5) activates after taking a total of 180 damage or after 300 seconds have passed since the beginning of the hunt or since the last deactivation. The effect lasts for 90 seconds.

Latent Power (level 7) activates after taking 150 damage or after 270 seconds. The effect lasts for 120 seconds.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
From fextralife wiki:

Latent Power (levels 1 to 5) activates after taking a total of 180 damage or after 300 seconds have passed since the beginning of the hunt or since the last deactivation. The effect lasts for 90 seconds.

Latent Power (level 7) activates after taking 150 damage or after 270 seconds. The effect lasts for 120 seconds.
That's not enough of a boost for me to care. Thanks for the info though.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
I crafted a few Tigrex pieces, although because the Beta pieces were more useful to my build I ended up not actually having any points in that "free use" skill at all.

Really though if you've played the base game you already have more resources than you could probably ever hope to use, and if you need more than 20 Mega Potions to kill anything you have other problems, so it's not that useful of a skill. The "fast eat" skill is extremely useful though.

I'm not quite sure how to actually improve on my build. Right now it looks something like:

Rathalos Helm (beta)
Tigrex chest (beta), arms (alpha), and waist (beta)
Barroth legs (beta, useful for having three slots and stun resistance)

With my slotted gems + charm I have max level critical eye, level 4 attack boost (combined with critical eye that's a 45% boost to affinity), non-elemental boost, level 3 earplugs, level 2 health boost, affinity slide, level 2 evade extend, level 3 evade window, level 2 speed eating, level 2 stun resistance, and resuscitate (surprisingly useful considering how many enemies inflict some kind of blight).

I'm using the Rafiq Al-Nassir II long sword (which you can make surprisingly early considering its rather high raw damage and 25% affinity). With the non-elemental buff plus all the attack buffs I have a raw attack rating approaching 1,000 with 70% affinity (if I'm in an area with a slope I can boost this to 100% with affinity slide), plus a bunch of other stuff and the flexibility to sacrifice a bit of affinity/dodge ability in exchange for anti-whatever skills. Not sure what in the future I would want to swap anything out with. Some monsters in the Guiding Lands seem to have stuff that would be a straight upgrade from what I have, but that's still a while away I think (I just unlocked MR 4 star quests).

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I crafted a few Tigrex pieces, although because the Beta pieces were more useful to my build I ended up not actually having any points in that "free use" skill at all.

Really though if you've played the base game you already have more resources than you could probably ever hope to use, and if you need more than 20 Mega Potions to kill anything you have other problems, so it's not that useful of a skill. The "fast eat" skill is extremely useful though.

I'm not quite sure how to actually improve on my build. Right now it looks something like:

Rathalos Helm (beta)
Tigrex chest (beta), arms (alpha), and waist (beta)
Barroth legs (beta, useful for having three slots and stun resistance)

With my slotted gems + charm I have max level critical eye, level 4 attack boost (combined with critical eye that's a 45% boost to affinity), non-elemental boost, level 3 earplugs, level 2 health boost, affinity slide, level 2 evade extend, level 3 evade window, level 2 speed eating, level 2 stun resistance, and resuscitate (surprisingly useful considering how many enemies inflict some kind of blight).

I'm using the Rafiq Al-Nassir II long sword (which you can make surprisingly early considering its rather high raw damage and 25% affinity). With the non-elemental buff plus all the attack buffs I have a raw attack rating approaching 1,000 with 70% affinity (if I'm in an area with a slope I can boost this to 100% with affinity slide), plus a bunch of other stuff and the flexibility to sacrifice a bit of affinity/dodge ability in exchange for anti-whatever skills. Not sure what in the future I would want to swap anything out with. Some monsters in the Guiding Lands seem to have stuff that would be a straight upgrade from what I have, but that's still a while away I think (I just unlocked MR 4 star quests).

I made a tigrex hunting horn set that utilizes level 3 free meal and speed eating and it's crazy good for support.(and wide range). Healing everyone no matter what is crazy good.