• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Getting ready to jump back into this. Is there a general consensus now on best/most used weapon?

most used weapon has always been LS
the earliest most "OP" weapon you can make is the shield loyal thunder hbg build and i highly recommend players who just finished IB main story to make that set ASAP

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Guys, I'm not good enough to take down Diablos by myself.

I did the two story quests
*Horned Tyrant Below the Sands
*A Fiery Throne Atop the Forest

*With help* but I'm still not good enough to beat a Diablos alone.
Maybe I should change weapons, I'm using twin slicers. I really suck a MHW even though I love it.

I've heard I shouldn't use the Defender Weapons (?) because it'll make the game too easy and won't get any satisfaction. Okay. I don't even know if these come with every purchase of Iceborne or if they were a pre-order bonus.

p.s. I am waiting for MHW update to finish (~79 GB).

Oct 25, 2017

Horned Tyrant Below the Sands
A Fiery Throne Atop the Forest

with help. but I'm still not good enough to beat a Diablos alone.

Maybe I should change weapons, I'm using twin slicers. I really suck a MHW even though I love it.

I've heard I shouldn't use the Defender Weapons (?) because it'll make the game too easy and won't get any satisfaction. Okay.

I don't even know if these come with every purchase of Iceborne or if they were a pre-order bonus.

p.s. I am waiting for MHW update to finished (~79 GB).
Whenever I fight diablos I always use a shield weapon. The fight is a lot easier if you use something like gunlance due to all diablos linear charging

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017

*Horned Tyrant Below the Sands
*A Fiery Throne Atop the Forest

*With help* but I'm still not good enough to beat a Diablos alone.

I've heard I shouldn't use the Defender Weapons (?) because it'll make the game too easy and won't get any satisfaction. Okay. I don't even know if these come with every purchase of Iceborne or if they were a pre-order bonus.

p.s. I am waiting for MHW update to finish (~79 GB).
sonic pods will stagger diablos when it went digging
you have to time it so the sonic boom explodes when diablos is fully underground

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, the Barioth fight might be the worst designed fight in MHW that I've tried so far as a GS user.

Fiskaptisto

Dec 31, 2019
Tips from a console lad
There is no best or worst weapon every wepon is excelent in its own way in iceborne and you will only notice diference if you become an speedruner that can do any monster in 30 seconds. If you are a mortal like us then you wont notice significant diferences when it comes to DPS. Pick the weapon that you like and try new weapons they all got really cool new moves

Dont go crazy on builds or sets until you get to the end game. Make the armor that you like the mos,t I personally used only 2 armors the whole campaing and both of them werent meta armors. They were just cool looking

Dont get too atached to your High Rank Stuff. I know I know It took a lot of time and effort to grind but they become pretty much outdated the moment you do your first real Master Rank Quest. Make some armor and crapy Master Rank weapons as soon as posible because the monsters now hit HARD and have a TON of HP.

Use the Clatch Claw. Is a life saver and can do a TON of damage if you use it right. Learn all its moves and pratcie a lot with it

"Im new/noob/not that good is this rank hard?" Is a chalenge I wont sugar coat it but you should take it. Is not unfair. Is not frustraiting and you can always play online if things get too hard

(I dont recomend this to everyone but If you want a cool challenge try to do all the story offline is a really good challenge and really makes you better at this game specially for the end game content that gets really spicy)

And finally the most important thing. Have fun and happy hunting

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if the new version changed my settings, but my FPS tanked when I first started. I lowered a lot of settings so I'm back up above 70, but not sure if I've downgraded a lot to do so.

It seems to be something Capcom is investigating, they put out this message less than two hours ago about it:

Performance issue occurring under certain conditions
VU10.12.00 issue currently under investigation
Issue Summary
Thursday, Jan. 9th UTC
We are currently investigating an issue that was brought to our attention with regards to the VU10.12.00 Update that was released earlier today.

Details of the issue
Some users have been experiencing significantly reduced frame rate under certain configuration and environment after applying the latest VU10.12.00 Update.

Please rest assured we're actively investigating the matter at hand and will provide an update as soon as we have more information.

For those who are experiencing the frame rate issue, please contact support below. We may need additional details from you that may help identify the root cause.

http://www.capcom.com/mhwsupport/

Apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused and we appreciate your patience.

Important:
Matchmaking in Monster Hunter World: Iceborne requires players to have updated to the same version. Keep in mind that you can only match with other players who have the same update. You can verify the version number in the bottom-right corner of the title screen.

For other questions, please visit the official Monster Hunter World: Iceborne support portal below.
http://www.capcom.com/mhwsupport/

Posted
Thu, January 9, 2020 @ 9:38 pm EST

Type
Small Updates/Patches

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
Tips from a console lad
There is no best or worst weapon every wepon is excelent in its own way in iceborne and you will only notice diference if you become an speedruner that can do any monster in 30 seconds. If you are a mortal like us then you wont notice significant diferences when it comes to DPS. Pick the weapon that you like and try new weapons they all got really cool new moves

Dont go crazy on builds or sets until you get to the end game. Make the armor that you like the mos,t I personally used only 2 armors the whole campaing and both of them werent meta armors. They were just cool looking

Dont get too atached to your High Rank Stuff. I know I know It took a lot of time and effort to grind but they become pretty much outdated the moment you do your first real Master Rank Quest. Make some armor and crapy Master Rank weapons as soon as posible because the monsters now hit HARD and have a TON of HP.

Use the Clatch Claw. Is a life saver and can do a TON of damage if you use it right. Learn all its moves and pratcie a lot with it

"Im new/noob/not that good is this rank hard?" Is a chalenge I wont sugar coat it but you should take it. Is not unfair. Is not frustraiting and you can always play online if things get too hard

(I dont recomend this to everyone but If you want a cool challenge try to do all the story offline is a really good challenge and really makes you better at this game specially for the end game content that gets really spicy)

And finally the most important thing. Have fun and happy hunting

Thanks for this. Basically answered a bunch of questions I had. Guess gear upgrades should be the first thing I focus on.

One thing on the clutch claw, is there a way to use it with the IG without having to sheath it on my back. Feels kinda clunky and breaks up the flow.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this. Basically answered a bunch of questions I had. Guess gear upgrades should be the first thing I focus on.

One thing on the clutch claw, is there a way to use it with the IG without having to sheath it on my back. Feels kinda clunky and breaks up the flow.
hit R3/RS while aiming your insect

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Did they ever change the endgame grind for those special weapon related gems? I played vanilla MHW and had all best-in-slot armor for bow and greatsword, but found the endgame grind of killing the same thing over and over again to get those gems tedious and finally fell off.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever change the endgame grind for those special weapon related gems? I played vanilla MHW and had all best-in-slot armor for bow and greatsword, but found the endgame grind of killing the same thing over and over again to get those gems tedious and finally fell off.

If you're talking about the weapon augment streamstones, the new weapon augment system is not nearly as unforgiving and RNG-based as the old system. Much, much better.

If you're talking about decorations, those are still a grind to get.

Thus far, it seems like the pretty typical G-rank boost in terms of monster health and defense. I will say that I'm not really feeling the clutch claw as a key gameplay feature, as it makes a rather simple task (dealing more damage) take longer than it needs to, which can drag out the fights early on. It seems like it makes more sense as a multiplayer feature than it does a solo one, which is great for the former since you can have three players on point once you get done wounding it, but it's not so fun when you're all alone.

It's a bit tough to go back to non-regen weapons, but alas, WII is so quickly outpaced for damage that it becomes crucial to get on top of that right away. I think my first Banbaro hunt went well over 15 minutes with it, and then the Jagras Deathclaw shaved that to much closer to 10.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
deco grind is still pretty much the same, but maybe the end game deco drop rates are better?
i found 2 attack jewels on IB, never got them at all on MHW other than the freely given ones

equipment augmentation systems are definitely better though

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Oh god. The Viper Tobi just fucking destroyed me. Thankfully I was in an expedition and fainting wasn't as big a deal. I'm working on getting the Banbaro armor set since it's considerably sturdier than my Defender Alpha gear. I just wish I could make a better set of Dual Slicers.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Jesus fucking christ it overwrote my cloud save data. Looks like I bought this for nothing.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i don't know how capcom has their heads so far up their asses.
you'd think with the way the pc launch originally went, even with the delay, they'd do everything in their power to make the iceborne launch absolutely perfect and smooth sailing.
but no, this launch is dogshit.

what was the point of the extra months of delay?

kbm keybinds fucked, players losing saves, insane cpu usage, new bugs "discovered" in a news post four minutes after launch LUL

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
captureihkrx.png

BrownWalrus

Nov 2, 2017
Does anyone have an updated mod to correctly display PS4 prompts? I used this one from nexus mods before and it no longer works.

Now it's just showing the Xbox prompts again.

Trust me when I say that the wall slam will become your best friend at some point. Also, affinity boost for weakened parts.
I get the wall slam just fine, but I'm really confused as to why you wall slam and still need to claw back on to wound the head. Like, I'm not crazy, right? You already slammed that thing full speed into a wall, and that wasn't enough to soften it up?

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I get the wall slam just fine, but I'm really confused as to why you wall slam and still need to claw back on to wound the head. Like, I'm not crazy, right? You already slammed that thing full speed into a wall, and that wasn't enough to soften it up?
Wall slams break parts (like horns), but it doesn't wound. That's pretty much the trade off.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Yeah, I hear you, and the softening gets even more dumb with the light vs heavy weapon distinction. Sadly though, crits via affinity are the main dmg dealers overall (the stack affinity vs stack dmg argument which has been covered by lots of sources) and it's just a mechanic to accept in terms of dmg output.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm. After a quick test run, the game seems to run fine on my rig (GTX 1660 Ti, i5 6600K, Windows 10, DirectX 12) I still need to actually hunt something and try the new area. I will see all of this tonight.

Yeah, I hear you, and the softening gets even more dumb with the light vs heavy weapon distinction. Sadly though, crits via affinity are the main dmg dealers overall (the stack affinity vs stack dmg argument which has been covered by lots of sources) and it's just a mechanic to accept in terms of dmg output.
Trust me, as a GS main, I'm well aware of how important crit damage is. I just think that sometimes, there have been mechanics that World has introduced that feel like the team saw an end result to their liking without working the path to get there, which results in weird incongruities and choices that don't make much sense on an execution level. I know it's the Monster Hunter way to just accept that some stuff will be stupid, but, you know, it's still stupid.

Wow, sucks for those affected by the launch issues.

Nothing bad over here so far.
There's definitely something funky going on with some of the updated graphical settings, as it does seem like the framerate is a bit less stable than I would have expected it to be. Not a dealbreaker, but disappointing after the delay.

The immediate response should be for the folks who have disappearing save files, so somewhat less-than-ideal performance can wait.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
I've personally have had pretty much flawless experience on my end with 6600k + 1080. It's performing pretty much like it was just before this patch. I have hope they will work out the kinks again with a time.

That save game deletion problem is a damn shame though, whoever got hit by that.

Also zero disconnects with friends so far, at least this part seems to be solid this time around! Jinxed.

Jan 4, 2018
Finished a play session with some friends tonight. Got through the Barioth fight, took us 45 minutes on our second run to finally beat it. Loving the new hub and all the little things that there are to do there. Also, FUCK Viper Toby.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
I've personally have had pretty much flawless experience on my end with 6600k + 1080. It's performing pretty much like it was just before this patch. I have hope they will work out the kinks again with a time.

That save game deletion problem is a damn shame though, whoever got hit by that.

Also zero disconnects with friends so far, at least this part seems to be solid this time around! Jinxed.
I have your exact spec and yeah it's pretty much the same @1440p, I haven't tried that new upscaling thingy option yet tho.
Already got my viper tobi LS and I don't know why people complained about it, it was super easy for me, I just had to bring tons of herbal medicine and stuff to craft it, also the new thing on the radial menu that automatically craft an item when attempting to use it is amazing

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
So I just bought MHW on PC on the 30th of Dec and got through the story two days ago, spent yesterday doing random shit (I had played on PS4 a ton at launch) but I forgot to get two Bazelgeuse talons to make the trinket things... that is still the least fun monster to fight as far as I'm concerned. Maybe something in Iceborne will top it but I legit hate fighting that garbage monster.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Alright, the Barioth fight might be the worst designed fight in MHW that I've tried so far as a GS user.
Alot of Iceborne monsters are harder to deal with with GS than they are in the base game. Everything hops around alot so you won't get alot of openings, which is why alot of people go to Crit Draw GS (I don't like that build though). Once you get used to a monster's movements and attacks, it becomes alot easier to see those juicy 1400+ damage final TCS hits but learning the openings gets rough.

I'd also recommend most melee players to build the MR Teostra helm, arms, and waist as soon as they can. It's your new Drachen and Iceborne gives you more than enough slots to fit in QoL like health boost and the such. Master's Touch is so powerful that it invalidates most of the other set bonuses in the game for melee. None of the defensive set bonuses are that great until you get to MR70 and get a set bonus that gives you Divine Blessing Lv5, but that's a 2pc set and you can have Master's Touch AND Divine Blessing 5 with Health Boost 3 and 100% crit on softened weakpoints.

Support players - build Tigrex 3pc set asap. 75% chance of not consuming an item is crazy.

Bows + DBs - build Velkana 2pc with a certain new elder's 2pc once you get it, it'll be your bread and butter til MR70. Gives you MR Crit Element and a boost to your element altogether.

CB users - don't fall into the trap of Artillery 5, it doesn't actually increase your damage all that much. Just shoot for your core skills and add Offensive Guard and Teo set bonus when you can. Also you'll probably want at least Guard 3 since Guard 1 even with a charged shield isn't enough guard to respond with a SAED for alot of Iceborne monsters.

Bowguns - I don't know how to build for these during the story but I assume it would be 3pc Narga for True Spare Shot (75% chance of not using ammo) or using a Razor Sharp Charm from the house quests. Endgame though, Sticky LBG becomes crazy good and Spread HBG is the most broken thing in the game. You can pretty much sit in front of Teostra's face and be invincible the entire hunt while doing huge damage.

Last edited:

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
So I just bought MHW on PC on the 30th of Dec and got through the story two days ago, spent yesterday doing random shit (I had played on PS4 a ton at launch) but I forgot to get two Bazelgeuse talons to make the trinket things... that is still the least fun monster to fight as far as I'm concerned. Maybe something in Iceborne will top it but I legit hate fighting that garbage monster.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Only beat the first monster so far, but it's running really great. Better than before the expansion I want to say, because I'm pretty sure I used to get less fps in Astera.
Cant wait to get back into it!

Already did the one event quest once, I want that frozen tuna greatsword.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Alot of Iceborne monsters are harder to deal with with GS than they are in the base game. Everything hops around alot so you won't get alot of openings, which is why alot of people go to Crit Draw GS (I don't like that build though). Once you get used to a monster's movements and attacks, it becomes alot easier to see those juicy 1400+ damage final TCS hits but learning the openings gets rough.

I'd also recommend most melee players to build the MR Teostra helm, arms, and waist as soon as they can. It's your new Drachen and Iceborne gives you more than enough slots to fit in QoL like health boost and the such. Master's Touch is so powerful that it invalidates most of the other set bonuses in the game for melee. None of the defensive set bonuses are that great until you get to MR70 and get a set bonus that gives you Divine Blessing Lv5, but that's a 2pc set and you can have Master's Touch AND Divine Blessing 5 with Health Boost 3 and 100% crit on softened weakpoints.

Support players - build Tigrex 3pc set asap. 75% chance of not consuming an item is crazy.

Bows + DBs - build Velkana 2pc with a certain new elder's 2pc once you get it, it'll be your bread and butter til MR70. Gives you MR Crit Element and a boost to your element altogether.

CB users - don't fall into the trap of Artillery 5, it doesn't actually increase your damage all that much. Just shoot for your core skills and add Offensive Guard and Teo set bonus when you can. Also you'll probably want at least Guard 3 since Guard 1 even with a charged shield isn't enough guard to respond with a SAED for alot of Iceborne monsters.

Oh wow this is a really useful post for me. Just finished the iceborne story on PS4 and I will go for teostra mats this weekend.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Bummer to hear that there are a myriad of PC launch issues. I've had next to none, which I know doesn't help people at all, but just my experience. No crashes. being able to move my cursor out of the borderless window is super handy for me, performance about what I expect, g-sync is working, and i don't even have that reflection issue mentioned above. I think I noticed a little bit of that screen door effect but I had to zoom in on a screenshot to even tell.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Performance wise I've been fine but man I've been having disconnect issues all day.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Hope my old system will be able to handle this. I was already teetering on the edge of 60 in the base game. Not looking good for me...

Thanks for the tips. Keeping this bookmarked for when I get to start 😇