• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
For whatever reason, I feel like my performance has actually gotten WORSE. I used to get solid 60 all throughout Astera, but now it's immediately dropping 10 frames when I load in.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
DX12 feels more smoother with my settings set to High with high def textures. Playing the Bow feels really good. I like this weapon. Will have to figure out melee later. Hammer may be my pick.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed the game isn't using PS4 button prompts even though I have a PS4 controller connected and Steam recognizes it as such.

Not exactly a big deal since this game's controls are seared into my brain and I have the onscreen prompts disabled anyway, but I'm not sure why it's happening.

voidecker

Oct 27, 2017
I've noticed the game isn't using PS4 button prompts even though I have a PS4 controller connected and Steam recognizes it as such.

Not exactly a big deal since this game's controls are seared into my brain and I have the onscreen prompts disabled anyway, but I'm not sure why it's happening.
I've read in this thread PS button prompts are now natively supported? Perhaps it's a setting you need to manually change?

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm running into an issue with Iceborne on pc. Basically from time to time the screen will freeze for a few seconds. Wondering if anyone else has encountered this, and if they've found a solution?

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
had my first fight. Beotodus. Games runs a lil worse in the snow than it did before in other areas but still fun. Can't wait to get my new PC parts this week.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017

It's a new setting, under interface in the title screen.

Oct 25, 2017
Getting ready to jump back into this. Is there a general consensus now on best/most used weapon?
Pick what you think is cool unless it's long sword because online is actually full up on them- there are so many there is actually no capacity on the server for any more Long Swords and capcom have emailed me to tell everyone I can not to make any more so the Server Doesn't Die.

In fact they told me unless people start using more Hunting Horns all the Palicos will get sick with Cat Flu so maybe play hunting horn

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Several friends who played Base MHW on pc can't play iceborne, performance is utter shite now. Steam forums full of performance issues and complaints. This port is just awful.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno why some were making the HH out to be some shit tier weapon type. I'm sorry that you're bad at using it !

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Getting ready to jump back into this. Is there a general consensus now on best/most used weapon?

Right now the most popular are broadly Longsword, Bow, and Greatsword, with Insect Glaive and Dual Blades also being very popular on Xbox, and Charge Blade not being too far behind on any platform. The Heavy/Light Bowguns are also very popular for farming, in my experience.

As far as "Best" weapon goes, all of the ranged options have a lot of QoL options that make them easier to use, in my view, like being able to target out-of-reach body parts. That's not to say they're always better; player skill allows just about anything to be competitive, with some monsters being easier on some weapons than others.

Dec 25, 2018
mind you, I play on ultrawide screen 3440x1440 with my gtx 1080, and my i5 is at full usage. I'm not sure if that's normal or not, but damn. Problem is I am on ITX and X570 boards only have like 2 manufacturers right now.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
In fact they told me unless people start using more Hunting Horns all the Palicos will get sick with Cat Flu so maybe play hunting horn
Im doing my part!!! Hammer and HH main sense 3.

But for real I fucking hate how popular long sword has always been. Especially when even now in fucking master rank these clowns don't know not to get in my fucking way so I can bash this monsters skull in! Fuck!

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Does it make any sense to start a new character to play the expansion?
Or are you able to dive right into it with the monsters being scaled as "endgame" level for someone who got to the end of the last game?

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno why some were making the HH out to be some shit tier weapon type. I'm sorry that you're bad at using it !
I think people are just put off by the relative slowness and song focus, and don't give themselvces the chance to experience the majesty of dootsmashing.

Agentnibs

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone having trouble with loading saves? When I launch the game it says it can't read the save and asks if I want to create a new one.
Neither option does works though

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, they really killed performance.
How do you screw this up
ssPrtXL.png

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
To all PC peeps, make sure to utilize the new Flinch Shot mechanic.

Check the monster eye icon on minimap to see if you can Flinch Shot it, if it's yellow you can Flinch Shot it, if it's red it's enraged and can't be Flinch Shot-ed.

You can do a maximum of three claw swipes to reorient the monster head to face wall before it goes enraged automatically.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Long Sword will always be the most used since it has nearly zero bad matchups and Foresight Slash is pretty much the most powerful tool in the game. It's also easy to pick up and has a decent skill ceiling to build to.

Bow and Glutton HBG are broken endgame though if you can build them properly.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I used to love Hunting Horn in Monster Hunter 4. Fuck it, it's Hunting Horn time. It'll be a good replacement for one of the many, many charge blades I've got lying around.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I get weird hangs on the game where the game freezes for a few seconds and then continues on. I have my game installed on an SSD. I hope a patch fixes it.

Agentnibs

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Do not create a new one. It overides and deletes your old one.
Well even when I clicked yes it wouldn't do anything. I reinstalled the game and got same problem except the yes button worked and it started a brand new game...
I downloaded a copy of my save from steam before I did that but I'm really bummed right now

Sounds like the save data problems are maybe coming from people that haven't played recently? Not sure about that. But a couple people on reddit say that if you disable Iceborne, go back in and save, then activate Iceborne you might have better luck avoiding this? Not sure how accurate this is, but it can't hurt.

This is me I haven't played it since 2018. I don't know how to go back to vanilla though or else I'd try.
I overwrote the save but I still have the one from steam.
I did notice the file size difference and mine is 9mb, the new one was 11.
I was really looking forward to this game but I don't have the time or desire to replay the entire game. If I can't get it fixed then I'm just gonna have to get a refund :(

Yay PC gaming

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
What's up with Ambient Occlusion causing a screen door effect all over characters faces now? It looks terrible

NKnpFXD.png
RDnNaYk.png

1st Picture: Ambient Occlusion High (You Can see Screen Door Filter all over any characters face)
2nd Picture: Ambient Occlusion Off

Also Screen Space Reflections is causing a low resolution look on reflective objects.

RpGLWnE.png
Qh8ooQd.png

1st Picture: Screen Space Reflections On
2nd Picture: Screen Space Reflections Off

Flip between the two pictures and you can see the drastic hit to image quality that looks like the game is rendering at a lower resolution.

And the worst part of all, is these two effects are some of the most expensive things you can turn on, besides volume rendering.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
I'm HR 16 and just finished the base game. Is iceborne designed for people like me to just jump in or are there things I should be grinding before that?

Sorry for noob post

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I'm HR 16 and just finished the base game. Is iceborne designed for people like me to just jump in or are there things I should be grinding before that?

Sorry for noob post
Once you have the option to start Iceborne, there's no reason to stick around doing the base game stuff. You'll be able to return to it whenever you want to finish up side quests and such.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Once you have the option to start Iceborne, there's no reason to stick around doing the base game stuff. You'll be able to return to it whenever you want to finish up side quests and such.

Will being only HR16 be an issue? I'm more concerned about being under leveled/undergeared, thank you tho

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I just can't figure this out.

I have an ultrawide monitor, but I want to only play the game at 1440 regular widescreen. But every combination of aspect ratio and monitor type I try, It either stretches everything out to the entire ultrawidescreen, or it looks like a shit resolution.

I'm trying to get better performance, so I just want regular widescreen because the ultrawide doesn't look that good to begin with...

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Holy guacamole the LBG is fucking dope! I only have Teostra and Xeno left in the base game and here I am trying out new weapons to use in Iceborne. I originally finished the base game on my X using the Hammer so I switched over to the Gunlance on PC but wanted some more mobility. I was convinced I was going into Iceborne with SnS but now...

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I just can't figure this out.

I have an ultrawide monitor, but I want to only play the game at 1440 regular widescreen. But every combination of aspect ratio and monitor type I try, It either stretches everything out to the entire ultrawidescreen, or it looks like a shit resolution.

I'm trying to get better performance, so I just want regular widescreen because the ultrawide doesn't look that good to begin with...
Check to see what your scaling is set to for GPU. Should be in the respective control panels

Stratosphere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the easiest performance gainers? On near-max settings, I'm hanging around 60-70 FPS, but I would feel comfortable if it were a bit higher.