• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually seeing a lot of people say DX12 boosted their performance a decent amount, I think they were on the low end of hardware spectrum though. Probably wont be as drastic of a difference for higher end hardware.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
A quick glance on Reddit makes me think that DX12 is good but get rid of Special K 'cause it doesn't play nice.

Granted that's not going to apply to every machine out there.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually seeing a lot of people say DX12 boosted their performance a decent amount, I think they were on the low end of hardware spectrum though. Probably wont be as drastic of a difference for higher end hardware.
I'm rocking a i7-9700k overclocked to 5 GHz and a 2080 TI. The DX12 performance gain was still about 20 FPS.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait was that 40GB an ADDITIONAL 40GB because my SSD cant fit however fucking much the game wants now.

To the HDD it goes I guess :(

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
Well so much for my save file. Started the game with Iceborne patch (but didn't buy the DLC), it said it's unable to read my save file and I have to create a new one. The game wouldn't allow me to get past that prompt without creating a new save file. Well I accepted and then my save was gone, poof, even overrode my previous save from Steam cloud right away.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Are there websites out there with build guides/recommendations? Wanting to make some dual blades, but not sure which tree to go for. Just started Iceborne and made it to around HR42 last time I played, so should have quite a few materials. Any tips on what to craft? Armor as well, currently I'm just using a bunch of random pieces from when I played Hammer.

Murman

Nov 7, 2017
Anyone else having problems with the game failing to launch?

The Application file (which is usually the game's icon) is just a small default window icon.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well so much for my save file. Started the game with Iceborne patch (but didn't buy the DLC), it said it's unable to read my save file and I have to create a new one. The game wouldn't allow me to get past that prompt without creating a new save file. Well I accepted and then my save was gone, poof, even overrode my previous save from Steam cloud right away.
I noticed they moved the save file from its old location burried in Steam's Userdata folder to the MHW root directory when I was uninstalling Special K. This is a long shot, but have you tried looking under the old save file location at \Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\XXXXX\582010 ?
Anyone else having problems with the game failing to launch?

The Application file (which is usually the game's icon) is just a small default window icon.
Did you have the Special K mod installed? It'll crash the game on boot if Iceborne tries to launch in DX12 mode.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Seems some people had their savefile go poof due to some error that forced them to create a new one that overwrote it so you might want to back up your savegame on PC before playing the expansion.

C:\ Program files (x86) \ steam \ user data \ (your steam user ID number) \ 582010

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed they moved the save file from its old location burried in Steam's Userdata folder to the MHW root directory when I was uninstalling Special K. This is a long shot, but have you tried looking under the old save file location at \Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\XXXXX\582010 ?

Both the 582010 folder as well as the savedata_backup in MHW folder contain only the new "empty" save file.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It also seems that the game's CPU usage for everyone regardless if they have the expac or not just spiked up.

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
Does multiplayer still work the same way in that everyone needs to have viewed the cutscene before friends can join the hunt? Can't view together?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Seems some people had their savefile go poof due to some error that forced them to create a new one that overwrote it so you might want to back up your savegame on PC before playing the expansion.

C:\ Program files (x86) \ steam \ user data \ (your steam user ID number) \ 582010
This should be threadmarked when you get a chance BDS.

Until this gets sorted out, I'd stay clear of starting the game if it doesn't recognize your save file. Losing that much time sounds heartbreaking.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does multiplayer still work the same way in that everyone needs to have viewed the cutscene before friends can join the hunt? Can't view together?

Yeah, that's still how it works, unfortunately. So still have to have each person start the quest, then everyone drops except for one.

daase ko

Oct 26, 2017
Charge blade when you don't remember the controls...
I thought I'd train with the first monster, easy, but actually the game start with a big one, it took ages solo.

TrueHero

Feb 24, 2018
Restarted download for the third time, steam is stuck on the preparing to launch screen for me. Already used 50% of my monthly data limit :^)

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think I just used more antidotes than in my entire run of the main campaign.

Aria

Nov 21, 2019
Felt a bit meh fighting icy cephadrome and icy Barroth. Hopefully there's some better variety as the games goes on.

TrueHero

Feb 24, 2018
Make sure to get rid of all of your mods. I've heard they can cause problems with launching the game.
I had deleted the nativepc folder, that should have been enough right? only had the handler and monster drop mods. Looks like steam overwrote all the folders from my install already since its only showing a few now. Think it might be too late anyway, looks like steam just restarted downloading it since its prelocating again, looks like I'll join you guys next month lol.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
Hi, passing by to drop another "DX12 improved (a bit) my FPS"
i5 8600K - RTX 1070 super - 1440p
all settings on max except volumetric fog (off)
It's not revolutionary but I gained ~10FPS (average 80)

I hope it will help some hesitant people with similar configs.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Wow looks likr mods were super common among the PC player base not surprisingly.

Seems to be causing a lot of issues if you can clean them out before installing

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Welp, I'm a sucker and triple dipped on PC not long after clearing the IB story on console.

Guess I'm doing it all over again!

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have native 4k #s? I'm wishing for some performance gains with the 2080t, hoping for stable 60 at least.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just starting again on PC.

After the initial big ol drag of remembering this game had unskippable cutscenes and also realising that starting again means I don't have my millions of dollars and hoarded gems plates and mantles, the game is like 6 billion times better on PC than it is on PS4.

The fact that loading goes from like 10 mins to 10 seconds is one thing. but just being able to play at smooth 60 with miles ahead IQ, it's seriously a ric flair screaming woo cocacaine adrenaline rush

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
At the same settings before expansion, but with the new (there's like 2 new shadow options or something) turned on, it seems to be running slightly better as far as frame-rate go, nothing drastic for me. I went straight into DX12 though, I might turn that off and see what the frame-rate is like next time I hop on.

However, the new snow map is def more demanding and runs slightly worse than the vanilla zones (probably because I have snow setting on highest and the snow deformation is demanding?) so then it evens out to the same frame-rate pre-IB heh.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Did they ever fix the water reflections not working on PC? I distinctly remember that being a weird anomaly in Digital Foundry's video but haven't heard anything about it since then.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
My game finished downloading on steam but it says installing and its just sitting there, did this happen to anyone else?

Iscariot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Same fucking thing happened to me. :'(

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
The FidelityFX setting is some strangeness. It definitely makes the game run loads better, albeit with a light downgrade to the resolution. Fidelity FX on seems to run equivalent to low resolution while looking far better.
One other thing I noticed is the game now has an option to select the button prompts you want, thank heck.
A quick glance on Reddit makes me think that DX12 is good but get rid of Special K 'cause it doesn't play nice.

Granted that's not going to apply to every machine out there.
I got rid of Special K a long time ago. I don't think it was updated alongside the game, meaning later versions of the game were unstable with it. I had many crashes that were fixed by uninstalling Special K. And TBH Special K is too much of a headache for whatever benefits it brings in all but a handful of my attempts to use it for various games.
Game is definitely running better with this patch, though. And that's on top of the performance improvements I'm fairly sure the game got in the many patches before this.

Last edited: