• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I was talking about status effect weapons though, like for example the paralysis kjarr long sword has about 150 ( or more depending on the awakening skills you choose) less raw than safi's longswords but I'm curious how much easier it is to proc paralysis with it compared to safi's paralysis ls.

I'm sorry. I totally read your "crit status" as "crit element"! Whoops!

Usually status isn't worth it overall given the high levels you start to need to proc the status after the first one or first couple. Getting one more proc of paralysis isn't worth the raw damage you are giving up over time. To my understanding, it's always best to think of status as a bonus.

That sad, not a stone cold expert. Anyone else?

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I'm sorry. I totally read your "crit status" as "crit element"! Whoops!

Usually status isn't worth it overall given the high levels you start to need to proc the status after the first one or first couple. Getting one more proc of paralysis isn't worth the raw damage you are giving up over time. To my understanding, it's always best to think of status as a bonus.

That sad, not a stone cold expert. Anyone else?
It also depends on the weapon and the status itself. Slower weapons typically aren't worth investing status due to how the buildup works, and are more worth investing elemental (or raw in some cases). From my own experiences, paralysis/sleep/blast seem to be the most used statuses because they either give constant immediate damage (Blast) or can give you a break in the middle of the fight which can lead to more potential damage and survivability (Sleep/Paralyze).

Obviously players can choose to play how they want, but to put it bluntly: there's a world of difference between how affective a Sleep Hammer is vs a Sleep LS.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The patch goes live in less than 24 hours, right?

I always forget what the last day of the MHW week is: Wednesday or Thursday.

Hopefully the event schedule will return to the website this week so it's easier to keep track.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Oddly, patch is tomorrow (Wed) for NA, but end of MHW is usually Thursday.
I just checked ingame, and the weekly bounties will expire in "1 day" while most of the event quests will end in ~20 hours. This makes me guess the actual end of the MHW week is still on Thursday/Friday like I thought it was, and this patch will simply drop a day earlier on Wednesday/Thursday which also marks the return to normal rotation for event quests.

Zakard

Oct 25, 2017
The major things that have happened since the Rajang update (~October):

1. Stygian Zinogre and Guiding Lands updates: Stygian Zinogre (dragon element Zinogre subspecies) was added. A snow region was added to the Guiding Lands. Various QoL adjustments were made to the Guiding Lands.

2. Safi'jiiva siege: Safi'jiiva, the adult form of Xeno'jiiva, is a siege battle similar to Kulve Taroth. Over the course of several hunts, you whittle down his health until he's dead. His weapons have a unique feature where using "dracolite" (a currency he drops after the fight) you can add special custom upgrades like elemental damage increases or even a set bonus skill. Safi's weapons and armor are extremely good and at the top of the meta along with Kulve.

3. Raging Brachydios and Furious Rajang: These two variants were added. Raging Brach's armor in particular is quite good.

4. Return of Kulve Taroth: Kulve Taroth is back, except she's just a regular quest (not a siege) and you can kill her this time. The mats she drops can be used to upgrade your old Kulve weapons from the base game.

Thanks a lot. Will check it out this week! Any tips for going for the more harder fights? Just random groups via ingame or should I try to get a pre-made group?

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's any real advantage to using PC controls. I put a good 800 hours in on PS4 so trying to learn another control scheme for PC was a lost effort. The muscle memory wasn't there.

Cool, good to know. And yeah, the muscle memory is why I wanted to know now if there was some reason to prefer mouse and keyboard so I could have the base game as a way to work with a new control system.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Cool, good to know. And yeah, the muscle memory is why I wanted to know now if there was some reason to prefer mouse and keyboard so I could have the base game as a way to work with a new control system.
I think anything that requires aiming, bow especially, is a lot better with a mouse, assuming you're decent enough with mouse aiming or not very good with pad aiming(I'm kinda shit at pad and good at mouse so for me it's a huge difference). The good thing is you can switch easily between both setups, just put down the pad and start playing with the keyboard, and for me at least I've only got one keyboard setup, for bow(guns I play with the pad). You can save keybinds setups per weapon though on keyboard+mouse(or there's a way to load them I forgot how it works but you can make different setups).

Hakus

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
User banned (permanent): Spam account
MOD EDIT: Spam link removed

Last edited by a moderator:

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I think anything that requires aiming, bow especially, is a lot better with a mouse, assuming you're decent enough with mouse aiming or not very good with pad aiming(I'm kinda shit at pad and good at mouse so for me it's a huge difference). The good thing is you can switch easily between both setups, just put down the pad and start playing with the keyboard, and for me at least I've only got one keyboard setup, for bow(guns I play with the pad). You can save keybinds setups per weapon though on keyboard+mouse(or there's a way to load them I forgot how it works but you can make different setups).

Well think I'm going to stick with Insect Glaive since it's what I used in the base game and I love it's mobility. It does have slight aiming with getting the proper target spots but will see if that's enough to get me to try to get use to M&KB. Thanks.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Well think I'm going to stick with Insect Glaive since it's what I used in the base game and I love it's mobility. It does have slight aiming with getting the proper target spots but will see if that's enough to get me to try to get use to M&KB. Thanks.
Yeah for everything else I just use the pad and it's fine since the aiming isn't really required to be super precise and it's adequate enough, and I don't even play bow much anyway(think I have like 10hunts with it) so I probably spent more time setting it up than actually using it.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there interest in starting OT2? I made updated monster graphics and information to compile, and we're approaching 400 pages and with this latest big update, now seems like a decent time to start the thread fresh.

Anyone have title ideas? I had thought of "Looking for love in Alatreon places" but I dunno how punny that is.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I don't think this thread is getting to 400 pages. Interest in the game is slowly but steadily dropping.
So if you want to make a new OT you might as well do it with the update.

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
Hold up, so alatreon is like kulve and safi? (I'm still stuck at work)

Edit: I'm dumb, I think get it now.

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Patch is live. 1.3 GB.

Now to wait 1 minute for it to download and another 45 minutes to complete copying.

giphy.gif

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Hold up, so alatreon is like kulve and safi? (I'm still stuck at work)
Not saying "Siege", so no, I doubt it.

It seems more like with other Elder Dragons, where their quests cycle between 2 maps (Kushala, Vaal, Lunastra/Teostra). Just that the tweet is explicit about it. There might be bigger differences than mere location this time tho.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Not saying "Siege", so no, I doubt it.

It seems more like with other Elder Dragons, where their quests cycle between 2 maps (Kushala, Vaal, Lunastra/Teostra). Just that the tweet is explicit about it. There might be bigger differences than mere location this time tho.
I doubt it's that, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to do both.

I'm betting some parts are exclusive to one hunt vs the other, and that we won't see a hunt with all 5 elements. The emojis and names make me think Fire/Thunder & Water/Ice (and maybe both get dragon).

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The cutscene leading into the first special assignment explicitly tells you to gather a team to tackle the mission, which makes me fear for our chances of soloing it at all.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the base game on steam sale, just with the intention of playing by myself and not really buying iceborne. It was $20 and all my friends are on PS4 anyway.

But the game just gave me "defender" armor and weapons from the get go, which I guess are like special edition bonuses that are the best in the game until you get to iceborne. So I'm like 8 hours into the story mode and haven't upgraded my armor at all. It's kinda just ruining the game for me.

I'm contemplating just forcing myself not to use it... but I wish there was an option to turn it off so I didn't even see it in the upgrade tree. It's like I could craft a bunch of other armor for all this gold and mats... or I could make defender armor that's over twice as powerful for 100g and 1 iron ingot you know.

It's just a weird choice that's clearly only there so I can power level to iceborne and spend more money.

If that's what they wanted they should have just made iceborne a stand alone expansion.

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
Farcasters and other evasion methods apparently don't work on the nova.
Well shit. I'm guessing superman diving doesn't work either?
The cutscene leading into the first special assignment explicitly tells you to gather a team to tackle the mission, which makes me fear for our chances of soloing it at all.
Fuck, I'll join in like an hour so depending on how long it takes me to download the update.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Farcasters don't work AT ALL during the quest. Have to buff while running around, can only get to tent if you cart.

Event quests are eandomly assigned. My gf and I have difft ones. We can't even last 3 minutes on the special assignment so far though. Might jump in on the squad session in a bit.

I bought the base game on steam sale, just with the intention of playing by myself and not really buying iceborne. It was $20 and all my friends are on PS4 anyway.

But the game just gave me "defender" armor and weapons from the get go, which I guess are like special edition bonuses that are the best in the game until you get to iceborne. So I'm like 8 hours into the story mode and haven't upgraded my armor at all. It's kinda just ruining the game for me.

I'm contemplating just forcing myself not to use it... but I wish there was an option to turn it off so I didn't even see it in the upgrade tree. It's like I could craft a bunch of other armor for all this gold and mats... or I could make defender armor that's over twice as powerful for 100g and 1 iron ingot you know.

It's just a weird choice that's clearly only there so I can power level to iceborne and spend more money.

If that's what they wanted they should have just made iceborne a stand alone expansion.
You still need quite a few weapons that start in LR to get some of the best MR weapons, so there is some merit to grinding out some monsters so that you're ready to go down a particular tree for that weapon. Armor, though... yeah, it's not encouraging great play for newcomers as they use all those defensive options as a crutch, but at least the armor value caps out so that you have to throw it away pretty early on in Iceborne's assignments.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
You still need quite a few weapons that start in LR to get some of the best MR weapons, so there is some merit to grinding out some monsters so that you're ready to go down a particular tree for that weapon. Armor, though... yeah, it's not encouraging great play for newcomers as they use all those defensive options as a crutch, but at least the armor value caps out so that you have to throw it away pretty early on in Iceborne's assignments.

If I don't plan on buying iceborne should I be using this stuff at all?

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We made it about seven minutes into the quest, and broke the horns, but he still ended up one-shotting us with that nova attack the first time he used it. We must have been doing something right because it took so long for him to do it.

Maybe it was because we had fire, ice, and thunder covered but not dragon? Will you seriously fail the quest if you don't have four people with those four exact elements?

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Maybe it was because we had fire, ice, and thunder covered but not dragon? Will you seriously fail the quest if you don't have four people with those four exact elements?
Watching CantaPerMe92 stream, where he managed to solo with kjarr dual blades (dragon element). Hammer couldn't manage it, but dual blades could deal enough elemental damage to produce a hard knockdown that signifies a weaker one-shot that you can survive with astera jerkies.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Second attempt, we lasted the exact same amount of time (seven minutes) before he insta-wiped us all again. I don't understand the mechanics of this.

Second attempt, we lasted the exact same amount of time (seven minutes) before he insta-wiped us all again. I don't understand the mechanics of this.
Yeah, that seems to pan out with the DPS check theory. I really don't know why World has thought those are so fun, especially on a monster like Alatreon that can go to the other side of the arena at warp speed.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Break horns can ONLY happen during elemental shifts and it takes out one element. Plus, if it shofts to the element you currently have, your eement doesn't work anymore? Confused.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Third attempt, exact same result. We're playing with four people using elemental weapons and we always die at exactly the same time, around 6:45, where there must be some hardcoded DPS check. It's hard for melee users to stay on top of him because he's constantly flying around the arena.

The good news is I got his mantle from breaking the horns lol