• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm 99% sure that the best combo for Lance in terms of DPS is 3 up-pokes > Charge > Immediate Finishing Poke > Repeat.

It's not a great combo if they aren't on the ground for long though.
That's true, but it's finicky and I'm not sure it's hugely better than a backhop or counter reset. For me it feels alright when it works but it's so easy to miss or charge into a different hit zone but that may just be me.

Honestly I don't even have any ideas for a good finishing move for the weapon. Maybe look to what generations did?

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So how much content is in this vs the base game? I'm honestly really excited for another bout of monsters to break the charge blade out on again, but it's almost the same price I paid for the game originally.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seems to be reviewing very well so far.
It's a huge expansion. Almost as large as the base game. 40$ is a great deal. Really don't understand how it's possible to feel it's too expensive.

i dont think is THAT expensive, i just didnt know if it was stand alone, or the base game was required because the utlimate editions before were stand alone

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
i dont think is THAT expensive, i just didnt know if it was stand alone, or the base game was required because the utlimate editions before were stand alone

If you are familiar with how they have done these expansions in the past its basically identical except instead of selling an entirely new game (and subsequently transferring your save data) they just allowed it to be a downloadable expansion to the base game

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The reviews are hot fire!

I won't talk about the spoilers but I just want to say HOLY SHIT at the new endgame

It sounds absolutely incredible and with the promise of a LARGE amount of DLC on the way.... Iceborne is easily the best MH game ever made and solidly secured its rightful place as the true game of the generation by a damn landslide

Whew i need to sit down

banter

Jan 12, 2018

I won't talk about the spoilers but I just want to say HOLY SHIT at the new endgame

It sounds absolutely incredible and with the promise of a LARGE amount of DLC on the way.... Iceborne is easily the best MH game ever made and solidly secured its rightful place as the true game of the generation by a damn landslide

Whew i need to sit down
What happened with endgame? You can spoiler tag or pm me or something if need be.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Whew i need to sit down

wait what about the endgame??? I wanna know, let me in, let me iiiiin

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
With G rank coming what type of event quest would you guys want?

I would love for an anime event like they used to do in the past. Crafting and using a popular anime characters weapon was awesome.

Bosses from different franchises like Behemoth and Leshen would be cool again.

Continue to bring in the silly. I want the sword and shield that's a shark and no swim sign. Pull in more Capcom franchises. Give me the Servbot helmet like Frank West wears.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have added the full list of unrevealed monsters to the OP. Please be courteous and do not discuss them outside spoiler tags for at least a few days.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a PC player so it will be months before I get my hands on this. Some of the reviews are talking about a new endgame but choose not to spoil it. Can anyone who doesn't care about spoilers and knows what it is tell me about it. Either through spoiler tags here or a DM?

Bitsurugi

Nov 2, 2017
More people need to play Lance. It's honestly one of the funnest weapons in the game once you wrap your head around not being able to roll. You're just constantly attacking. Every time there's an opening you're poking, and every time the monster's attacking you're either countering or doing a super counter. You've got the best movement options in the game between the guard dashes in all directions, hops in all directions, and the lance charge. The only downsides are stamina management against a couple of monsters and lots of sharpening if you can't use Master's Touch.

It just feels so good, and no one uses it. I've seen maybe 5 other Lance players total in World, and it's ludicrous given how fun and good the weapon is.

Some time ago, I passed 2000 quests done with Lance. It's sad it's bottom tree as for usage, just above HH and more or less same as gunlance, but since the IB buff, i guess GL will jump in usage and popularity.

Testobjekt

Jan 23, 2018
Germany
The six (or seven, I forgot) of us SnS main in World would always love to see a new person join our little community.

Little community?

R1fdEt3.gif

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I bought the digital deluxe. MHW is one of the few games where the base game has been SO generous with additional content that the devs deserve my money.

Can you imagine any of the other popular loot games giving you so much new content for free? I can't.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
There's a lot of reasons why a weapon would be unpopular. Lance has a lot going against it. People in general don't like feeling slow and Lance has pretty slow movement speed. The moveset is inherently uninteresting to many people since it's mostly just poking things. Also you have to put in a lot of work to get good damage. It loses a lot of its appeal in multiplayer because of how easily it gets tripped up by friendly fire and how annoying it can be to stick to the monster while it chases ranged users across the map. Lance is at it's best when the monster is attack you nonstop and you are in the groove hitting all your counters and evades. I think people just see something more flashy and obviously powerful like CB, Bow, or LS and gravitate to that.
Also Gunlance is lance but with flash and style.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
PC player here.

Enjoy it, I will see you on the hunting grounds this January dooting my way to victory.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do the reviews mention any significant/worthwhile improvements to online play?

Iirc there were tons of complaints about how it worked in the base game (both from console and PC players).

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
I was going to pass on the game since I ran out of PS+ but I remember having a blast playing solo the base game, I can't skip on this having such great reviews.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Do the reviews mention any significant/worthwhile improvements to online play?

Iirc there were tons of complaints about how it worked in the base game (both from console and PC players).

You might have to be more specific here

What parts of the online did or didnt work for you? I will say the newly improved gathering hub will bring MHW back to the days of old with active and filled hubs

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You might have to be more specific here

What parts of the online did or didnt work for you? I will say the newly improved gathering hub will bring MHW back to the days of old with active and filled hubs

Not for me (I played solo out of habit), just remember that many people complained about how the matchmaking, story mission multiplayer etc. worked in the base game.

The hub you mention already sounds like a beefy improvement.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Also Gunlance is lance but with flash and style.
I think Lance is way more fun than Gunlance IMO. Gunlance gets explosions and stuff but everything feels way too clunky. I play every weapon except LBG, HH, SNS, and GL extensively and Lance is among my favorites. It has a high skill ceiling, becomes crazy mobile once you learn how to move with it, and sticks to monsters like no other.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new endgame loop sounds really good and has a ton of variety to it.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Do you need to start from the base game to play this expansion right?