• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Man I must have completely imagined that new monsters and content were planned to be added free of charge. I don't know why I thought that.

This is a large scale expansion, you are referring to patch updates which have included new monsters and content for free. This is beyond the scope of those by a large magnitude.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Man I must have completely imagined that new monsters and content were planned to be added free of charge. I don't know why I thought that.

This is the equivalent of the old "ultimate" editions added content. Traditionally you'd have to buy a full priced game with the base game + the ultimate content but looks like this time they'll let us just buy the additional content on its own

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

They've been doing that for a long time. This expansion is essentially standing in for the "G" version that Capcom usually sells a year and a half/two years after each MH game comes out - instead of making the community buy an entirely new game, they're just selling it as an expansion instead.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Why the hell is this thread so vitriolic ? I didn't know the MH community could make the FF fanbase have a run for their money

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is a large scale expansion, you are referring to patch updates which have included new monsters and content for free. This is beyond the scope of those by a large magnitude.
This is the equivalent of the old "ultimate" editions added content. Traditionally you'd have to buy a full priced game with the base game + the ultimate content but looks like this time they'll let us just buy the additional content on its own
They've been doing that for a long time. This expansion is essentially standing in for the "G" version that Capcom usually sells a year and a half/two years after each MH game comes out - instead of making the community buy an entirely new game, they're just selling it as an expansion instead.

Thanks so much for the clarification peeps. Apologies for the confusion.

I'll be in day one but it's far out:(

Oct 25, 2017
the delay for PC is pretty shitty...but the lack of trial really fucking sucks since the moment it went announced I went screaming to a friend about it...now I get to tell him "nvm jk you cant try the game"

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I am interested to buy the game, but hesitant because I don't want to sink another 200+ hrs. My backlog is too long already.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Very nice, after X'evo I felt like I was done but i'll definitely jump back in for that one.

Why the hell is this thread so vitriolic ? I didn't know the MH community could make the FF fanbase have a run for their money
Well, when this is the only game that Capcom has put out on PC that they can't figure out how to get in line with other versions in terms of content, reactions tend to be a lot grumpier, if entirely justified. It is inexcusable just how badly they've been handling things for that particular audience, particularly in the wake of how successful it's been.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Typically Capcom charges full price for G-rank on Nintendo consoles. I get the feeling its not going to be big in content size, unless console gamers are prepare to pay full MSRP for this expansion. I might wait for a Monster Hunter GOTY edition with G-rank then as a year is along time, who knows, Nintendo might get a new Monster Hunter released bu then.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Typically Capcom charges full price for G-rank on Nintendo consoles. I get the feeling its not going to be big in content size, unless console gamers are prepare to pay full MSRP for this expansion. I might wait for a Monster Hunter GOTY edition with G-rank then as a year is along time, who knows, Nintendo might get a new Monster Hunter released bu then.
They are saying its the same size as an g-rank expansion.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
PC delay means I'm out, unless it's a short period like a week or two, or something close to that, and all content patches afterwards are day and date with console.

If it's a massive delay like all the subsequent PC content patches have been I'm not supporting that.

This is getting to be like Sega with western PSO fans, where back in the PSU days we were 6 months behind Japan because reasons.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017

Iceborne is the same size as past G-Rank expansions. They're giving owners of the vanilla game an upgrade path this time, because cause they can now, whereas they could not before due largely to technical limitations.

Expansions on 3DS were not a thing, and Switch only ever got Generations Ultimate. That's why you had to buy a brand-new, full-priced standalone release before.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
I understand folks being uneasy about the long wait for G-Rank, but personally I am gonna need a lot of time to play through so many other games before getting to come back to MH:W with renewed hunger.

Halabane

Nov 10, 2017
I know, but it makes sense. Their G rank expansions usually release 2 years after the original.
Yup. also this was on a new platform for them and I bet they slow rolled starting development till they knew they had a decent audience. Least we don't have to wait another year after that for the English translation.

Still kind of hope we get some news about switch. I miss playing this game on a hand held.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The name "iceborne" suggests the new location isn't an island, but instead floating pack ice.

Oct 27, 2017
I will definitely buy the expansion next year.

At Kulve... If it yields a better bow than the current electric Kulve Arrow, sure, count me in.

AT Nergigante... Yawn.

Not touching CDPR, thank you very much.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
My concern is by the time the expansion is released most of the "decent audience" will have moved on. 😕
I don't know what decent audience is but people will come back for the expansion, I'm really surprised how active the game still is on PS4 for the kind of game it is (it doesn't even have PvP), there is a big hardcore community it seems.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Woo! Friend of mine thought this announcement might just be a new monster variant of some sort for the winter event.
Here's hoping Gammoth makes the cut. Wouldn't mind seeing Khezu or its relatives either.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
There's nothing stopping them from moving back. Literally nothing.
Let's assume autumn 2019 is around thanksgiving. It'll be going up against other big name titles, which we know nothing about at this point, during that time.

Don't get me wrong. I'm hour 1 on this. I just hope we get the ones that left to come back.

And, Saint14 is right. There's still a pretty dedicated community left on PS4.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty excited for this. Love Monster Hunter World, ready to play much more of it.

PC being an unknown release date is pretty shit after the PC audience turned up massive for this game. PC crowd deserves better than this.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Intriguing on the PC front considering how strong of support the player base has been. Understandable with development timelines but intriguing nonetheless.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017

My experience playing a vanilla MonHan then jumping into the G-rank upgrade is limited to Generations. However, in that game and my understanding of previous games, is that they reset your rank back to the point where you lifted the cap and then you went from there, i.e. right into the new content.

In World, there are several HR caps, though. So, it's unclear where the G-rank will begin, but if I had to guess, they will probably reset everyone down to HR15, the end of the story proper. I'm sure they will say explicitly in the coming months.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The first expansion coming 20 months after launch at the earliest? Whoa...hope the playerbase holds/comes back.
Of course we will. It's not like Monster Hunter Players need a constant games as a service model to keep us playing every week. Everyone I know who's into the series dumps hundreds of hours into the base game and does it all over again for the next one. This expansion will bring us all back in full force.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The first expansion coming 20 months after launch at the earliest? Whoa...hope the playerbase holds/comes back.
Didn't stop them for most G rank expansions. It was fairly recently that they started only staggering those releases by 1 year.

Not sure where this sudden sales concern is coming from for the best selling MH game of all time that just sold gangbusters after a 6mo delay on PC at full price.
Better than that, this being an expansion instead of a full $60 rerelease should help instill more confidence in its sales potential, not less.

Is it leftover bad blood from Switch folks? I still remember how fucking insufferable MonHun sales and Media create threads were near launch because of some weird sour grapes console war nonsense.