• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Too bad this game doesn't support cross save cause I'd play it on PC in a heartbeat. I'm not un-assing 300+ hours on PS4 by starting over on PC though
I started on PC when it came out with the intention to play both versions focusing on different weapons, but now I've been seduced by 60fps and can't go back to PS4. So you really have to be committed to the PC version if you pick it up, because it's very difficult to switch.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I really appreciate the TAA+FXAA option.

Their TAA does a good job on flickering, but misses some really obvious static edges that FXAA cleans right up (and the other way around).

Thanks WBacon.

This is also extremely welcome:
- Added a "Friends Can Join" option to the Private Session Settings.
The existing system was quite silly.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Alot of games have been releasing HD packs on the PC for quite the while now.
I'm well aware of that, I was just saying that because I've been pretty much looking for reasons not to dive in on PC everytime I've seen this game somewhere on the internet...I have it on PS4 and honestly I'm just not all that impressed with it visually, plus its so hard to get into (as a first timer to the series). I made it all the way up to the fight on that giant black monster's back when you're trying to trap it in some huge valley, and it still felt like I was just mostly flailing around with no aim...

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I started on PC when it came out with the intention to play both versions focusing on different weapons, but now I've been seduced by 60fps and can't go back to PS4. So you really have to be committed to the PC version if you pick it up, because it's very difficult to switch.

I agree. I put 200+ hours into the PS4 version and switched to PC when it released. Now I'm 120+ hours into the PC version and back at it after a break. Great game and can't wait for the update.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Performance impact of the texture pack seems pretty severe. Went from a steady 60 fps at 4K with diffuse turned to low and volumetric at variable to something often in the mid 40s. Tho maybe I need to reoverclock my cpu?

2080ti so 11 gbs of video memory

Edit: I'm dumb

Last edited:

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Performance impact of the texture pack seems pretty severe. Went from a steady 60 fps at 4K with diffuse turned to low and volumetric at variable to something often in the mid 40s. Tho maybe I need to reoverclock my cpu?

2080ti so 11 gbs of video memory

That's concerning. Usually texture packs aren't that negatively impactful.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I retract it now, updated my motherboard bios and forgot to overclock my cpu again lol. Much more comparable to before.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22070

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Great fucking update !

Games looks properly great and really clean now. Also runs great with texture pack and everything else maxed (except that shit volumetric whatever setting that's always been busted and looks worse). Good job @Capcom !

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Too bad this game doesn't support cross save cause I'd play it on PC in a heartbeat. I'm not un-assing 300+ hours on PS4 by starting over on PC though

You can use mods and cheats on PC. I know some MHW YouTubers who decided to switch to PC and they basically brought themselves back to where they were by doing that. Not entirely honest but they already put all that work into the console version. When the PC version is super cheap, I might check it out.

They're only missing any gear that's not on consoles like the PS4 exclusives.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
You can use mods and cheats on PC. I know some MHW YouTubers who decided to switch to PC and they basically brought themselves back to where they were by doing that. Not entirely honest but they already put all that work into the console version. When the PC version is super cheap, I might check it out.

They're only missing any gear that's not on consoles like the PS4 exclusives.

That's too bad. I didn't overthink it, and I guess it doesn't affect me but it sucks.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Anyone tested it with RTX 2060 yet?

Yeah it runs great so far at 1440p/60 fps on my 2060. I lowered a few settings in the graphics options so my GPU memory wasn't maxed out but otherwise it runs great. I put about 100 hours into this game on my X but I am so glad I went over to PC because it really is on another level on PC @ 60fps.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
does the HD Texture Pack make a noticeable improvement?...I play at 1440p...I felt the original release looked too blurry...hopefully this makes things more crisp and detailed

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
Oof, gotta have 8GB VRAM for it? And here I was thinking of upgrading to a RTX 2060...

spending more than 300$ on a 6GB card in 2019 is straight up theft, you're better off buying a gtx 1070ti or vega 56 or if you can wait for Navi

6gb is already the limit, games like SOTR and RE2 already use more than that, once new gen consoles drop next year anything under 8gb will instantly become obsolete

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
Cross-posting from the PC Screenshots thread incase nobody looks there. I just hopped in and took a couple screens. I didn't do any before and after, but generally it just feels like there's more detail to everything. Kinda like getting that small bump in glasses prescription that helps you see everything better.

Monster Hunter World with the Hi-res PC Textures pack.

Was able to get a locked 1440p @ 60 FPS with everything maxed, and the FXAA+TAA enabled. Used up pretty much all of my VRAM, though in the screen with my numbers on it, I was watching a stream at the time hence the slightly lower than 6 GB VRAM.

582010_20190404222451_1.png
582010_20190404224411_1.png

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
does the HD Texture Pack make a noticeable improvement?...I play at 1440p...I felt the original release looked too blurry...hopefully this makes things more crisp and detailed
Yes, it's pretty noticeable, especially in the armors. I play at 1440p but keep AA off since I don't like the IQ hit FXAA or TAA give.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I installed the Ultra Texture Pack and the game began to run really weirdly, the game freezes for a couple of seconds when you load in to the game, start a mission and get back from a mission. When it unfreezes the sound stops a couple of times before it then picks up again.

I have zero issues while I'm actually on a hunt strangely enough.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
> - Added a "TAA+FXAA" option to Anti-Aliasing in the Advanced Graphics Settings.

This is big, MHW had terrible AA options last time I played.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Started playing MHW again a little bit, so I finally installed this. It's mostly unnoticeable for me at 1440p other than the armors, on which it really depends which you're wearing. Also is about a 5% hit to framerate, and used about 2 more gigabytes of VRAM. Not really worth the 40GB, I wish you could just use the high res armors.

> - Added a "TAA+FXAA" option to Anti-Aliasing in the Advanced Graphics Settings.

This is big, MHW had terrible AA options last time I played.
Now you can mix both terrible solutions together and make the game even blurrier! Yay!

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Started playing MHW again a little bit, so I finally installed this. It's mostly unnoticeable for me at 1440p other than the armors, on which it really depends which you're wearing. Also is about a 5% hit to framerate, and used about 2 more gigabytes of VRAM. Not really worth the 40GB, I wish you could just use the high res armors.

Now you can mix both terrible solutions together and make the game even blurrier! Yay!

Wow, I'm at 3440x1440 and thought it was a very significant upgrade.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Really? Where are you noticing it the most? just walking around Ancient Forest looks mostly the same between Full and High Res. I'm at 2560*1440. The armors are really the only place i notice it I think.

I mean.. everywhere? Do you have the volumetric fog on? Turn that off if so b/c it blurs everything and is a performance hit.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
I mean.. everywhere? Do you have the volumetric fog on? Turn that off if so b/c it blurs everything and is a performance hit.
No, I don't have fog on.
I guess it's just a combination of my monitor being only 24" and my eyesight not being the greatest, although usually I am pretty good at spotting graphical differences.
After looking at some comparisons, though, the changes don't actually seem that big to a lot of environmental stuff, though some of the almost offensively low res rock textures and ect. do look a lot better

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
At 4K the textures finally look adequate. The previous highest setting textures were way to blurry most of the time. Seemed more like medium or even low setting textures.

I made some comparisons: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/134748/

Also turning off the dynamic fog makes you lose a ton of atmosphere in certain levels. Even though it comes with a big performance hit I wouldn't turn it off. It definitely does not blur texture detail.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
At 4K the textures finally look adequate. The previous highest setting textures were way to blurry most of the time. Seemed more like medium or even low setting textures.

Also turning off the dynamic fog makes you lose a ton of atmosphere in certain levels. Even though it comes with a big performance hit I wouldn't turn it off. It definitely does not blur texture detail.
Fog is a personal preference. I think the game looks 100% better with it off. That on top of it being the biggest performance hit of all the graphical settings makes it easy to disable.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

I didn't mean to imply that it blurred texture detail necessarily, but to me it made the whole game feel like a blur. I hate the fog.

Not that it matters since the performance hit is so big. It kills my 3440x1440 performance with 1080 Ti.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
The volume rendering, ie not fog and affects many things in the game, setting can be set to variable for little visible difference from highest and significantly better performance. Without it things like rainy scenes or the lower levels of the Rotten Vale look like the lighting has been turned off. Really does much more than just blur the image.

If anything set diffuse to low or mid and gain 15 frames somehow

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
@
The volume rendering, ie not fog and affects many things in the game, setting can be set to variable for little visible difference from highest and significantly better performance. Without it things like rainy scenes or the lower levels of the Rotten Vale look like the lighting has been turned off. Really does much more than just blur the image.

If anything set diffuse to low or mid

I can play with dips to 40 FPS on low. It just murders framerate. It was fine when I had my 2080 Ti in there though, performance wise.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously? This was a massive gamechanger for me. Going from launch to this is night and day IMO. Those ugly-ass low res textures are mostly gone, now.

On a GTX 1070, i7 7700 here
Yeah, at least during normal gameplay, for the most part. I think it's mainly up to my monitor being pretty small for 1440p.
On a Vega 64 + 4690k here