• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you like "gimmick" monsters

• Old Fan. No.

• Old Fan. Yes.

• New Fan. No.

• New Fan. Yes.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
You play the series for long enough and you generally have a good idea of where you're at in terms of progress without even needing damage numbers on. Stuff like how many area transitions the monster has made while fighting it, getting it to the point where hunger is setting in, knowing that a Grimalkyne/Boaboa trap will take a huge chunk out of it, how many parts you've broken, etc. etc. It's something you do have to commit to in order to be better at "feeling it out," such as it is, but if you do ever get to the point where you can say "yeah, I'm at least kind of a veteran by now," you'll have the same sense about how things are going without needing to look at the timer.
There are a few ways to tell; frequent flinches and enrages are both signs you're doing a lot of damage. But it's hard to tell in the heat of a hunt, especially if you don't have a "normal" frame of reference.
Yeah, but these are things that still take a good amount of time to tell, to the point might as well complete the hunt.

Anyways, I have no problem with more gimmicks because the longer I've played the series, the more fights start to all feel the same. The games haven't done enough to encourage use to change up how we approach different monsters.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
"Voted "Old/No"
Now I do want to say that I'm all for gimmicks. The idea of monsters being unique to each other is perfectly fine. But it does get a bit ridiculous at times where it feels like the gimmick is "DO TONS OF DAMAGE OR DIE!!!"

It can feel like it is a punishment to players and make it seem like you're telling them, "You are terrible at this game!" when you have the gimmicks behind damage checks where either:

A) Behemoth will just outright murder you with a giant rock and you never got around to spawning the smaller rocks to hide behind.
B) The Golden Goat will peace out if you aren't doing enough damage to it
C) Safi will nuke you if you don't force it to drop rain rocks down to cover behind (alongside with peacing out too if not enough damage was done)
D) Alatreon didn't get enough elemental damage, so have fun either melting or freezing away

Mind you all these fights are fun in their own rights. But it can feel like if you want to do some of these hunts can be punishing because "You aren't being efficient enough." Other variety of gimmicks would be nice, but when it gets to the DPS checks, it gets a no from me.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's nothing worse than spending 50 minutes on a fight and failing because my Gear isn't good enough(or hell, even finishing the fight close to the end of the limit, that's too long on just one monster).

I would not be opposed to some DPS checks to show me if my gear is not ready. Doesn't need to be instant death outside of the hardest fights, but some kind of tell would be pretty nice instead of finding out the hard way.
My favorite moment in Monster Hunter so far still was playing GU with a friend and both of us fighting Seltas Queen for the first time in G-Rank, and beating it after like 40 minutes. We went through all of our potions and were both half health and essentially one hit away from death with no healing in reserve when we killed it. It was a battle of attrition and I loved it, I like the mission timer and cart system as it is because it doesn't deny me for not being efficient enough. And in that matter, I have still yet to actually hit the timer and fail a quest because of it.

The monster's HP is already the bar to beat. What if I get a bad start on a monster with a DPS check, I'm not gonna like being booted back because I didn't start the hunt off good enough, I never abandon hunts because there's always the chance we'll win. This isn't an MMO where the fights are scripted on a timeline and two separate runs will be nearly the same with close to zero moveset and movement variations. I can literally put boss mechanics on a timeline in FFXIV, and I even have my own moves and where I'll be during the fight on a mental timeline, so DPS checks just exist to keep people from sandbagging through fights with near-unlimited revives. I'm no stranger to DPS checks in games and I really don't think MH needs them at all. I've even argued against DPS checks in FFXIV because even in an MMO, where it's the most applicable, DPS checks are still devoid of creativity and are just band-aids for the real design issues that require them.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They suck. We end up with stupid shit where a bunch of the fight doesn't matter because only a couple or even a single point decides if it's a team wipe or not. Behemoth is the worst, the only thing that matters is if you survive the meteor or not, and got forbid one crappy mistake means can't hide behind a special rock so the last 25+ minutes means nothing. Ancient Leshin fight means squat until third phase with the AOE 1 hit kill spam.

It's all garbage.

KDReyes92

Oct 25, 2017
I've played Bow from the start of Iceborne and our only viable sets are Elemental so I never had a problem with solo Alatreon but as an old fan I am getting sick of these one shot mechanics, they feel lame and make me want to hunt with other players less than I already do.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
Big difference between 50 minutes and a hard 7-minute doomsday timer, don't you think? Not to mention that aside from the endgame elders and variants, you don't even need to hunt them in quests anymore, leaving that particular whataboutism rather toothless.

I think the poster is specifically talking about Alatreon, who has an instant wipe attack after a few min.

Huh?
Those are two different things what are you talkin about bro

The time limit has been an inherent part of the series' quest design from the start. While 50 minutes seem generous in World I clearly remember that this timer was always on my mind in the older games - where you had to fight all monsters at 3x HP because there was no scaling outside of the village quests.

The only difference is: You don't waste 50 minutes to find out you came unprepared, you only waste ~7 minutes.

And since we are talking about a most optional, free DLC, end-end-game monster it feels like most of the complaints are just empty shells that don't hold up if put into context. There are legit problems in World and with the Alatreon fight but it is NOT the "DPS check" or the Escaton Judgement. Clutch claw, mantles, fucked up crit multipliers, deco drop rates, inflated damage stats, and more are so much more vital problems than people whining about not being able to clear the current endgame fight first try without preparing for it.

Oh so now you're gonna play stupid and be pedantic, of course I'm not talking about mission limits. If that's all you're gonna do then you can go waste someone else's time with petty arguments.
Sorry, It wasn't meant as an attack against you and I could've made the point without quoting you in the first place. Just the "I haven't tried the thing but I know thing is bad" is such a common and shitty way of signaling on social media and this forum that it triggered me hard.

Mrfb17

Senior Designer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, United Kingdom
I personally don't mind 'Gimmicks' as such as long as they seem fair and keep something interesting. The issue specifically with Monster Hunter for me is that when you introduce something like a 1 Hit KO move, it means that you can be doing well up until that point and a slight bug or unlucky moment can cost you the hunt AND in Monster Hunter specifically, you get nothing for it.
It's not like you can spend 49 minutes then fail and get half the resources in these 'Gimmick' fights, it's just...nothing. So I think they need to be really careful when implementing things like this.
Also when it's a 'Gimmick' that isn't able to be tackled from different ways it just means a META approach is adopted and every fight becomes the same, which takes away the whole soul of MH for me.
Overall the Monsters added have been good but the MR Kulve with the timer, Behemoth and now Alat feel a little cheap at times and a bit of a time waste.
Saying that I didn't mind Safi's 1hit KO because it gave you PLENTY warning and it felt a lot fairer and felt like it was a natural part of the fight

Sep 23, 2019
and he's better than like 99% of player base. Doesn't really change problem people
The fact that you have to use an elemental weapon at all is the problem.
Its Not really
Lots of monster matches actually end up Faster if you use elemental weapons
And for someone you uses DBs,Bow or even CB elemental playstyle is nothing new for me
Some will hate me for saying this but i am pretty happy that capcom Made people drop their Sticky 2/3 LBG cheese builds for this fight
Iceborne Stickies are one of the worst things to happen
Buffed damage and rapid fire options
Its like the games has a difficulty Level and using stickies Puts it on very easy

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I am glad that Alatreon breaks up the sticky LBG and raw/blast "agitator's touch" meta.

The only thing I really don't like about Alatreon is his long flying phase.
It takes a lot of control away from you and feels unfair and frustrating, since if he's enraged you're basically screwed for a long period while you do almost no damage.

It just feels bad to tell players "You've got to do a lot of damage in the next 3 minutes" and then have the monster have an RNG attack pattern where he can randomly decide to be immune for one minute. I know he never flies for the whole 3 minutes and you'll always have some amount of grounded fight time, but it just feels unfair.
I mean, there's a reason people hate Kushala Daora.
If he could only fly when not enraged, or if he had some other mechanic for taking him down, then it would feel more fair. Or if he only did one or two flying attacks before landing instead of staying airborne for what feels like forever.

Otherwise, I'm cool with "gimmick" monsters. The game would be really boring if every fight was a simple, "Bring the meta build, don't cart and beat it in 50 minutes" quest. So long as they don't go too overboard on gimmicks, it's fine.

I even like the aggro mechanics for Safi (more so than Behemoth) since you can control his aggro with flinch shots. I enjoy fighting Safi with sword and shield and just going "Oh no you don't" whenever he aggros on some squishy ranged teammate.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite moment in Monster Hunter so far still was playing GU with a friend and both of us fighting Seltas Queen for the first time in G-Rank, and beating it after like 40 minutes. We went through all of our potions and were both half health and essentially one hit away from death with no healing in reserve when we killed it. It was a battle of attrition and I loved it, I like the mission timer and cart system as it is because it doesn't deny me for not being efficient enough. And in that matter, I have still yet to actually hit the timer and fail a quest because of it.

The monster's HP is already the bar to beat. What if I get a bad start on a monster with a DPS check, I'm not gonna like being booted back because I didn't start the hunt off good enough, I never abandon hunts because there's always the chance we'll win. This isn't an MMO where the fights are scripted on a timeline and two separate runs will be nearly the same with close to zero moveset and movement variations. I can literally put boss mechanics on a timeline in FFXIV, and I even have my own moves and where I'll be during the fight on a mental timeline, so DPS checks just exist to keep people from sandbagging through fights with near-unlimited revives. I'm no stranger to DPS checks in games and I really don't think MH needs them at all. I've even argued against DPS checks in FFXIV because even in an MMO, where it's the most applicable, DPS checks are still devoid of creativity and are just band-aids for the real design issues that require them.
That kind of just shows how pointless the 50 minute timer is. Often it's just not an issue, but if it is then the fight feels like a massive waste of time. The few times I failed it were things like in GU when Glavenus shows up early, I decided to see if I could take it and for the most part it wasn't any trouble, but then time is running out and it's not close to being defeated and I have to give it up.

I agree that DPS checks aren't the most engaging gimmick, but I think they're a bit more interesting than the timer. Preventing a big attack through skilled play feels rewarding while the timer feels needlessly punishing because if any fight is dragged out that long, it's probably not far off from being finished.

What I'm saying is I don't mind a few monsters at the end of the post game have some DPS checks, while the timer should probably just be removed at this point. I definitely don't want instant death DPS checks everywhere, but if something like the first time a monster runs away to another area it's determined only by damage, and if damage is too low after a certain amount of time it will get enraged or something, that would be an interesting way to work a DPS check into a tell for the player to judge how they are doing and how good their gear is early in the fight.

Jan 3, 2019
The problem with the fight isn't Escaton. The problem with the fight is having to play with bad randoms until you beat it for the first time.

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
I like being able to solo a monster at my leisure, or do it with just one friend, the whole raid boss thing, plus the extreme gimmicks makes that harder and less fun for me personally, BUT I am glad the people who are enjoying it, are having a good time.

OP
OP

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I read that Ancient Leshen ended up being nerfed. I don't see Alatreon being nerfed at all.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Leshen remains the worst fight, just absolute misery to fight. Behemoth heavily pushed you toward healer DPS and tank party makeup and that was lame but ok because its from another series. Overall he's harder than Alatreon. Alatreon is a much better monster and fight. He would be one of the best in the game if he was just a regular hunt.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I just wish there was more variety to the "new" monsters. Give me the Daiymo Hernataur. Give me that pink monkey thing. Its Monster Hunter, not Dragon Hunter.