• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Fingers crossed they've changed the battle system because I can't stand rock-paper-scissor setups, and the trailer was otherwise super pleasant.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
This is basically everything I ever wanted. Stories is such a good game, and I've been itching for a second one and to see what they could do with the Switch. I could actually cry right now šŸ˜­

OP
OP
sir_crocodile

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Stories direct bit was pretty much: trailer, "Has some kind of features that work with Rise", "we'll show more at TGS"

I assume the feature is probably costumes or somesuch depending on save game data, but we'll see

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
I'm actually more excited for this than Rise. Looks amazing! Probably buying both though.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Fingers crossed they've changed the battle system because I can't stand rock-paper-scissor setups, and the trailer was otherwise super pleasant.
There was a lot you could do to make battles feel less like rock paper scissors in MH Stories 1, especially as you progressed further and could customize your monster's movesets.

Feb 5, 2018
Yup, stories 2 will probably have most of the monsters in the series too. Its a Pokemon-esque type game that is capitalizing off of the monster variety in the series. So anyone disappointed with Pokemon, honestly the first game was so much better than anything Gamefreak has put out in years imo. Looking forward to this heavily.

hsojlightfoot

Apr 6, 2020
I thought it looked great. I found out the first game is on 3DS which I don't have. Will it require knowledge of that game to enjoy?

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
There was a lot you could do to make battles feel less like rock paper scissors in MH Stories 1, especially as you progressed further and could customize your monster's movesets.
i liked the setup because it made you pay attention to each monster's "strategy" and meant you could counter it properly knowing their patterns.

always got excited when i lucked into the right pattern the first time around.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
This looks super cute! Never played anything of the MH series before, but I think I might give this one a go if it can be played as a stand alone game. :D

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Someone in the chat on the live showing said we never got the Rajang DLC for the original, is that true? I wanted to use it before beating the game so I've been waiting and forgot lol

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this game is pretty. Not to derail but seeing games like this look this good on Switch is kind of depressing for a Pokemon fan. Maybe Game Freak should partner with this team on future Pokemon titles....

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
As a non Monster Hunter fan, this looked more interesting to me than Rise. Here's hoping it turns out well.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah, no more chibi shit. Hope it'll have some excellent flight mechanics.

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really excited for this. I just hope they didn't take away the option to choose your gender.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
OMGGGGGGGGGG

SO EXCITED

I cannot believe a sequel is happening AND it's coming to US after MHS was basically released on a dead system.

everyone needs.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Someone in the chat on the live showing said we never got the Rajang DLC for the original, is that true? I wanted to use it before beating the game so I've been waiting and forgot lol

Yep, we didn't get the later updates which added more monsters, an end-game tower with appearances from the anime s1/s2 characters and full customization for the main character at any time (including many new pieces based on the anime characters).

Oddly, even the later localized mobile port is missing all that too.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
More interesting in this cuz I like to play MH with all the bells now, this might be day one.

May_Patra

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so excited for this! The first one was by far one of my favourite 3DS games and I felt like it didn't get enough attention.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
Stories ended up being a surprise hit for me when I was looking for a game to fill the PokƩmon gap at the time, so I'm really looking forward to this too.

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this looks absolutely incredible. Right up my alley. I have to play the first game now

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
Yay, I really enjoyed Monster Hunter Stories on 3DS. Thought it was a bit held back graphically and releasing so late in the 3DS life hurt it.
So glad it's getting a second chance as a new title.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
Does this game have Character Creation like normal Monster Hunter or is it a set Protagonist?

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The battle system was AMAZING! It aligned with MonHun with learning attack patterns of monsters and PvP was crazy because it was more about resource management and the RPS elements were rarely used, but helped to give depth to the combat when resources were low.

RPS hate is just because a lot of people didn't make it past the introduction of the system and see the advancement and additional options that are taught after. It goes a LONG way to making just about every monster viable in combat - something most other pokemon and similar games can never manage.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The battle system was AMAZING! It aligned with MonHun with learning attack patterns of monsters and PvP was crazy because it was more about resource management and the RPS elements were rarely used, but helped to give depth to the combat when resources were low.

RPS hate is just because a lot of people didn't make it past the introduction of the system and see the advancement and additional options that are taught after.
No, I played a good ~5ish hours, and finished Fate Extra. I just fucking hate RPS systems.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
I also liked the system. If you remembered the monster tendencies (Velocidrome likes quick attacks, Deviljho likes power attacks, etc.), it was easy to win the head-to-head fights much of the time by choosing the appropriate counterattack. It worked as a turn-based way of memorizing monster tells and felt quite appropriate.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
eh, need to see the battle system which they didn't show at all.

the first game's battle system seemed mediocre to bad.

everything else looks good so far, but the battle system needs to be shown before I can say I wan it.