• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SonicX_Zero

Oct 26, 2017
Since my computer desk and TV are right next to each other I've always done this except as audio out from my TV not directly from the switch. I can be on discord and playing any console with mixed audio this way. I never notice audio lag. It's a godsend for playing Mario kart and smash with buddies.
Do you have to set up any program on your pc to let the Switch Audio go through or is it just plug n play?

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Discord on your phone is the best way really. I already used discord on my phone to play with some friends on PS4 because using a mic there is more bothersome than on phones.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry I dont have a Switch but buying one for Rise, so voice and game audio already mix together through one headset via discord?

I've console gamed for years with my monitor and discord.

You want an audio cable from either the switch or your monitor (if it has a headphone jack) into the line in port of your PC. Then you can hear the audio from the game (you may need to check the Listen to this Device option in Windows), and still talk to people on Discord, which should use whatever mic as your recording device and output to your speakers/headphones per usual.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
What we need is Discord apps on every game system, but mostly on the switch.

Setting up discord on a phone or pc sounds like a hassle when I'll be having a headset/headphones plugged into my switch. I might try that line-in suggestion posted above, but damn, Discord and Nintendo work something out.

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
Real hunters only use the prance emote to communicate

Yep. There is a "YES" and a "NO" that you can select from your pre-set quick messages and that's it. It's a monster hunt, not a fucking tea party where you chit-chat and giggle with your friends.

In all seriousness though, I will continue with Discord. I tried the in-game voice chat in MHW and I think Neil Armstrong had better audio quality when he muffled the famous words when taking his first steps in the moon.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo is definitely to blame for there not being system-wide voice chat, but I think the complete lack of voice chat has to be at least partially attributed to Capcom since we've seen that software can implement it natively.

That was my last point " third parties [...] now needs to come up with their own built in voice solution in order to cater for Nintendo's indifference". On every other platform the system itself is adept at allowing groups of friends to talk together while playing. With Switch every game requires a bespoke solution.

I don't personally think Capcom should need to think about the solution in this day and age.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
This is turning into a surprise machine war thread when op was just asking for a solution. Interesting.

I would use discord on a phone. I did it this weekend with friends and it worked perfectly.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
This is turning into a surprise machine war thread when op was just asking for a solution. Interesting.

I would use discord on a phone. I did it this weekend with friends and it worked perfectly.

When a system lacks a feature that has been standard for like 15 years it is obviously going to come up. Can't blame people for calling out this shit.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
So why they'd do an in game solution for World when they didn't need to, but are skipping it for Rise when there's no system wide alternative?

I can't speak for why they didn't bother this time - it's probably something silly like "the game is handheld and has a lower emphasis on network play". A game-specific solution might make sense if they need you to hear other strangers/non-friends, and I haven't played World but perhaps pick up groups is a stronger part of that experience?

My point is that they shouldn't need to bother if we're only talking about playing with friends. By now this should be an out of the box thing for gaming hardware

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
if you ignore the fact it wont be portable at all and you will miss 9 month of playing or that it isnt even confirmed to happen yeah, much better

I still don't know if I wanna wait, but I'll probably wait as well. I don't enjoy JoyCons very much and I use Pro Controller so portability isn't a big matter for me in games with complex controls. And sure, I will "miss" 9 months of other people playing on Switch but then I'll have new people starting fresh on PC so I don't really see the point here :P

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
With Switch every game requires a bespoke solution.

I don't personally think Capcom should need to think about the solution in this day and age.
Devs do this all the time for PC games despite platforms like Steam having built-in voice chat. I'm sure World on PC had its own voice chat too.

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
That was my last point " third parties [...] now needs to come up with their own built in voice solution in order to cater for Nintendo's indifference". On every other platform the system itself is adept at allowing groups of friends to talk together while playing. With Switch every game requires a bespoke solution.

And I agree that they shouldn't need to! I said as much in my first post when I specified that if Nintendo had a system-level voice chat, the problem wouldn't exist for any game. But it seems we disagree as to whether or not Capcom should then be responsible for making a solution since the problem does exist. I believe that if someone developed a multiplayer game that is at least being marketed as a Switch exclusive, potential late PC port or not, they should have shouldered the responsibility of making a native voice chat solution to make up for Nintendo's exclusion of something on the system level.

Anyways, this is getting off-topic and distracting from OP's question. To OP, I used the same method mentioned earlier of running an aux cable from my Switch to my PC as a line in. Now I just use a capture card.

SonicX_Zero

Oct 26, 2017
I've console gamed for years with my monitor and discord.

You want an audio cable from either the switch or your monitor (if it has a headphone jack) into the line in port of your PC. Then you can hear the audio from the game (you may need to check the Listen to this Device option in Windows), and still talk to people on Discord, which should use whatever mic as your recording device and output to your speakers/headphones per usual.
You just have to turn on listen to this device on line in in windows sounds.
I mean, if I wanted to do that, I could:

But, I generally just play with my mic + speakers, which does just fine for me w/ no issue
Thanks a lot for the responses, really appreciate it. I'd rather take my chance on this method because as far as I've read around the easier solution would be to just purchase an Arctis 3 bluetooth and be done with it. But that is an additional $120 on top of purchasing the Switch itself, when I already have a bunch of headsets w/ mic around that works fine on PC and my PS4 but not on the Switch, ffs its already 2021 now I have to do all this hoopla because Nintendo.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
if you ignore the fact it wont be portable at all and you will miss 9 month of playing or that it isnt even confirmed to happen yeah, much better
Not sure if your joking, but in this day and age waiting 9 months for a game usually means you get the full version, fully patched and occasionally a cheaper price. So actually yea better lol.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
The upsetting thing to me is that Capcom did have in game voice chat in Monster Hunter World (Also in Monster Hunter Tri on Wii and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on Wii U) but hardly anyone used it because everyone was using Discord or Party Chat but now that we finally get a game on the Switch where we would use the in game chat because Nintendo for some reason didn't and hasn't added a Party Chat feature on their system Capcom decides not to add in game Party Chat.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I tried the demo with my friend and it was far too annoying to have a headset on another device and not have the game audio properly.

I'm out. Luckily we should see ports if that dump was anything to go by.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
For me I guess Ill just be using discord with 1 ear out of my headphones. Still don't get why they are forgoing voice chat. 3U had fuckin' voice chat like damn. Just kinda seems like a "well its not a problem in Japan" kinda thing like so many other Japanese games.
At this point it feels like Nintendo is refusing to admit that they have egg on their face for offloading Switch's voice chat to a useless fucking app that nobody downloaded. And the result is still no voice chat on the console. It's so stupid in the special sort of way only Nintendo can pull off.

noesch

Oct 31, 2017
Southern Germany
Thank you for reminding me. I was on the verge of preordering since I really liked the demo. Having voicechat with my friends and the game audio at the same time is crucial for me. My TV isn't next to my PC and I can't hear the speakers that are connected to my TV when wearing my Beyerdynamic headset. It's such a shame Nintendo doesn't offer a solution for this.
Might have to continue playing MH:W with my friends.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo Switch online multiplayer that requires voice chat --> Discord.

That applies not only to MonHun but all games that hit that requirement.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
I'll probably use discord, or any of the voice chat apps on my phone. I only play with friends, not random people so we can use whatsapp or any app that does voice over ip. I will mainly play locally with my boyfriend, so we'll be yelling live at each other in the same room.

I played hours of New horizons with the Nintendo app and it worked quite well with the lobby, but I guess it has a cost for the servers and it depends on the game and the developper if it's enabled or not.

The party chat on PS5 is pretty easy to set up, but I often find myself calling friends on the phone when we play together anyway. It's nice to have options.

For those who don't want to use discord on the switch version and prefer to wait for the PC version... won't you have to use Discord on PC too ? I doubt they add an integrated voice chat in the port.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
For this title it seems like the best thing to do is to wait for PC in many regards not just chat.
Regarding voice chat, are there any technical reasons why it can't be built into the game on switch like it's done in MHW?
I think fortnite on Switch has voice chat no?

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Capcom could do it. Other games like Fortnite already support in-game voice chat on Switch without the app.
I don't think so. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Fortnite doesn't use Nintendo's 'Nintendo Switch Online' service. It uses Epic's own online service and servers and therefore uses Epic's own voice chat solution.

If an online game uses Nintendo's online solution then I think that also means it must use Nintendo's voice chat app as well. As this is all part of the package. Very few (hardly any) publishers choose to use the voice chat app.

Are there any other Switch online games that use Nintendo Switch Online and have voice chat WITHOUT the Nintendo smartphone app? I don't think so. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have this as a setup.
Use this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Turtle-Bea...ontroller-USB-3-5-Extension-Cord/264980853492
USB plugs into PC/or any USB for power and audio port plugs into monitor/TV.
Then something like this to extend the connection inside so you can use any 3.5mm headset with it.
www.ebay.com

3.5mm Slim TRRS Headphone Extender Extension AUX Stereo Audio Adapter Plug Jack | eBay

[MALE TO FEMALE] Connectors: TRRS mini-stereo (3.5mm) male to TRRS mini-stereo (3.5mm) female cable. 4-Conductor Tip-Ring-Ring-Sleeve (TRRS) Connectors. Also works with voice commands such as "Siri" and "Ok Google".

You can even then attach your phone with a 4pole male to male cable and get voice chat that way with the amp.

noesch

Oct 31, 2017
Southern Germany
I'll probably use discord, or any of the voice chat apps on my phone. I only play with friends, not random people so we can use whatsapp or any app that does voice over ip. I will mainly play locally with my boyfriend, so we'll be yelling live at each other in the same room.

I played hours of New horizons with the Nintendo app and it worked quite well with the lobby, but I guess it has a cost for the servers and it depends on the game and the developper if it's enabled or not.

The party chat on PS5 is pretty easy to set up, but I often find myself calling friends on the phone when we play together anyway. It's nice to have options.

For those who don't want to use discord on the switch version and prefer to wait for the PC version... won't you have to use Discord on PC too ? I doubt they add an integrated voice chat in the port.

On PC I could at least easily mix Discord and ingame audio. I don't see an easy solution if I want voicechat and in game audio while playing on the TV in my living room. And no, I don't think having on earbud of my phones headset plugged into my ear while listening to the game audio on the speakers is a convenient or even decent solution. I didn't pay 300$ for a premium headset to get crap voicechat and somewhat between mono and stereo sound from the game when there's an easy solution for that on literally any other platforms.

Mrfb17

Senior Designer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, United Kingdom
So I'm using the 3.5mm method from the switch into my headset mixer but I have the same problem that I've seen a few people have...feedback / whitenoise. It's not crazy bad but if I just sit there with nothing playing you can hear it behind everything else.
I really wish the switch dock had some more options build into it to help this craziness

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
I'm pumped for this game but honestly no voice chat is painful. Haven't been playing multiplayer games online with friends so forgot this was an ordeal on Switch. I Don't have a PC either to wait for that version.

Its 2021 lol this is so basic 😑

are ppl that use discord doing the workaround to get both chat and game audio?
Or are they doing the ridiculous one headphone on discord and the other on the game like I am? Shit is whack

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Rogue Company, Spellbreak and Killer Queen Black all have crossplay native voice chat.
So this is straight up lazyness from Capcom and Nintendo.

It's very disappointing. The native voice chat on switch works perfectly well on Fortnite, I find. It sucks that Capcom can't be bothered, especially after they were basically the only people that used the Wii U voice chat with Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The lack of proper voice chat solutions on Switch continues to be a bummer. I'll probably use PSN or Discord or something I guess? but then it makes it awkward to also hear game audio. Pain in the ass for what has been a solved problem for generations now.

ace3skoot

Dec 3, 2018
Me and a friend used discord it was fine for the demo. It still ki d of bites rather in 2021 Nintendo don't have a real friends/chat system in place but discord will serve for now.

Apr 9, 2018
Easy peasy 😛
splatoon-2-nintendo-switch-headphones-voice-chat-in-online-gaming-png-favpng-Y2GTRsZ34jaHkmh1rAEY9Hu4p.jpg

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously, Nintendo has greatly dropped the ball with no chat (even messages) features at all. However, EVERY OTHER console Monster Hunter has had voice chat built in software, and yes that includes Tri for Wii. I believe the reason it's lacking because they are truly looking at this as a portable MH, which has not had voice chat in the software. I do \hope Capcom patches this in.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Obviously, Nintendo has greatly dropped the ball with no chat (even messages) features at all. However, EVERY OTHER console Monster Hunter has had voice chat built in software, and yes that includes Tri for Wii. I believe the reason it's lacking because they are truly looking at this as a portable MH, which has not had voice chat in the software. I do \hope Capcom patches this in.

Why wouldn't capcom want voice chat in a "true" portable MH?
Is it supposed to be single player?

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Probably Discord with phone/laptop nearby. really does suck cause I prefer not using push to talk and then people will hear the TV

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
Keyword here is "elegantly".
If plugging one ear with an ear bud and leaving the other open for game music is elegant, then thats probably the easiest way to do it. Just make sure your TV volume isnt too loud or your ear bud will pick it up.
I tried it the other day and it worked but it kind of sucked. Was just uncomfortable and weird.
This is probably my biggest let down with the game right now.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's mostly an ad-hoc experience.
I also feel like there's a sentiment of why would we add this if our [Japanese] Player Base won't be using it while they play Ad Hoc locally? Coming from Capcom as if online play is an after thought and this is of course also ignoring the fact that there's a pandemic going on so local play isn't recommended either because otherwise I can't explain the lack of in game voice chat.