• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What platform are you playing Sunbreak on?

• Switch

Votes: 514 46.3%
  • PC

Votes: 469 42.3%
  • Both

Votes: 41 3.7%
  • Neither, I don't like fun

Votes: 86 7.7%

• Total voters

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Maaaaaan why does Monster Hunter Rise run like this on my Steam Deck since Sunbreak release. 😭😭

Everything is on medium setting and the Deck acts like it's the most demanding thing since the last patch while people report they can play this on 60fps with almost max settings. I don't understand anymore. The further I get the more it drops in the current DLC.

I mean look at the following video, look at this shit. Tell me how this makes sense.

Settings at the end of the video.

Isn't it enough that because of this, I discovered a nasty framepacing bug with the current beta firmware that nobody else seemed to notice yet? Why do I have to deal with this too? I don't know what's going on anymore.

TPD and GPU limits are off, game is freshly installed again but as soon as I'm fighting and it looks like it gets demanding, the harder the framerame crashes down to under 50. :(

Are reports maybe different for people with more RAM on their Decks, or is yours max spec?

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Or you can be like me and pick either Lance or Gunlance tanking yourself to victory. Sure it definitely takes longer to hunt, but nothing is more satisfying then getting off the full Gunlance combo on a monster.

I'm torn because I have a good DB build but I wouldn't mind trying something new because I kinda hate being up close and personal against shit like Teostra

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm torn because I have a good DB build but I wouldn't mind trying something new because I kinda hate being up close and personal against shit like Teostra
I currently have a Gunlance build where I have reduced the cooldown of Wyvern's Fire by 50%. Combined with the Hail Cutter wirebug skill you can effectively always get rid of the cooldown entirely. So almost near constant blasting which in solo you don't have to worry about knocking your fellow hunters.

Nov 17, 2019
So I haven't been paying attention to what's been going on with this game since the sunbreak weapon trailers. I remember people complaining that LS is still going to be OP in subbreak and that the other weapons didn't get any good switch skills or buffs in general. Did people jump the gun or is LS still OP compared to the other weapons?

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I feel like I'm too stupid to fight Seregios. Like, I can't wrap my head around its animations and I just mentally shut down.

I've got to turn the game off and cool down a bit. Fuck.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I really dig the quests where you get to bring NPC hunters. It seems like such an obvious addition, but it never even occured to me until they happened.

Also fought Garangolm for the first time last night and boy, THAT is a cool ass monster/fight. Also managed to snag all the mats for the GS in that one run, which is a pretty substantial jump over what I was using. Love it when that happens.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
I now see why they gave every weapon a counter. Hit MR 4 and now every monster has huge wide attacks that hit very hard.

BlankCanvas23

Jan 24, 2018
Hey All,

I just picked up both MH:R and Sunbreak. Does anyone want to help a lowly lvl 1 hunter do some quests? I use a light bowgun. I have fairly limited playtime, but am really digging the series so far. I'm on Switch. If you'd like to help a guy out, please message me and we can swap friend codes. Thanks!

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
I feel like I'm too stupid to fight Seregios. Like, I can't wrap my head around its animations and I just mentally shut down.

I've got to turn the game off and cool down a bit. Fuck.
It's really fast- I just assume that any time I can't see Seregios, it's likely above me and about to strike with a vicious combo. It moves around a lot on the ground too. Flash bombs are good to knock it out of the air, and sushifish cure bleeding instantly.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Hey All,

I just picked up both MH:R and Sunbreak. Does anyone want to help a lowly lvl 1 hunter do some quests? I use a light bowgun. I have fairly limited playtime, but am really digging the series so far. I'm on Switch. If you'd like to help a guy out, please message me and we can swap friend codes. Thanks!
We have a discord, but you need to ask someone with invite permissions and I'm not sure how it handles Switch and PC players (not used it much yet as I'm playing catch-up).

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Hey All,

If I can get on the Discord, I could try and find time to help whenever we are both on.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
haven't gotten to the lord of needles yet but does crouching when bleeding still slowly heal it /eating meat since this ver doesn't have the jerky

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
I got so caught up with my backlog, I neglected this game too long. I'm currently stuck at the 6-star Mizutsune urgent mission--are there any recommended weapons to help beeline to Sunbreak?

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Malzeno down. What an amazing fight, Sunbreak is knocking it out of the park with the creatures' designs and movesets, what an upgrade over vanilla Rise and especially World.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Finally unlocking the remaining new switch skills.

I feel like they just don't know what to do with the switch axe.
Even in the base game it was pretty basic, outside the one anime dive bombing sword attack.

You've got this funky reposition tool that's kinda neat in how snappy it is(albeit similar to one of the bowguns), it feels like it's asking for a follow up attack that doesn't exist, and honestly even a roll with a single evade extender can get you out of danger with more choice and no wirebug needed.

And the elemental burst with the super armour/parry timing is like pure commitment for a pretty middling payoff.

Sword and shield meanwhile has OPTIONS, it benefits a lot from the skill swapping mid fight.
Now to try and figure out how to best use the captain America charging star attack.
Do wish the returning oil had a more interesting effect like the old minds eye or destroyer oils.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
Just got my Steam Deck and am going to start over for that sweet bump in frame rate and fidelity, and.. thank god for the Black Belt and Defender Weapons free DLC. It seemed really daunting starting over again, but that really helps speed things along to catch back up.

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
I just finished a follower collab quest. How do I get them to join me on normal missions?

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Just had one dude cart twice in 3 minutes again fire spider lol These are the kind of players that need all the armor decos they can slot in their armor. This game has been a blast, so many quests to do and the monster additions have been really fun.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Maaaaaan why does Monster Hunter Rise run like this on my Steam Deck since Sunbreak release. 😭😭

Everything is on medium setting and the Deck acts like it's the most demanding thing since the last patch while people report they can play this on 60fps with almost max settings. I don't understand anymore. The further I get the more it drops in the current DLC.

I mean look at the following video, look at this shit. Tell me how this makes sense.

Settings at the end of the video.

Isn't it enough that because of this, I discovered a nasty framepacing bug with the current beta firmware that nobody else seemed to notice yet? Why do I have to deal with this too? I don't know what's going on anymore.

TPD and GPU limits are off, game is freshly installed again but as soon as I'm fighting and it looks like it gets demanding, the harder the framerame crashes down to under 50. :(

Watching the perf monitor, one key difference I noticed between yours and my Steam Deck is the GPU clock speed and temperature.

My Steam Deck in that same shrine location hovers between 850MHz - 1,050MHz with a temperature ranging between 75C - 80C during combat. Practically locked 60fps with very very minor frame time spike on the graph and imperceptible in gameplay even when I forcefully pan the camera at dizzying speeds. Same exact graphics settings as I described in my prior response.

Your GPU seems to mostly hang around b/w 650MHz - 700MHz with temps as high as 90C.

In short, your GPU seems to be throttling down for whatever reason.

Also, my room temp is at a comfortable 65F (17C)

EDIT: I'm also on the latest Steam Deck beta firmware and running on Proton Experimental "bleeding edge" beta branch.

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Finally unlocking the remaining new switch skills.

I feel like they just don't know what to do with the switch axe.
Even in the base game it was pretty basic, outside the one anime dive bombing sword attack.

You've got this funky reposition tool that's kinda neat in how snappy it is(albeit similar to one of the bowguns), it feels like it's asking for a follow up attack that doesn't exist, and honestly even a roll with a single evade extender can get you out of danger with more choice and no wirebug needed.

And the elemental burst with the super armour/parry timing is like pure commitment for a pretty middling payoff.

Sword and shield meanwhile has OPTIONS, it benefits a lot from the skill swapping mid fight.
Now to try and figure out how to best use the captain America charging star attack.
Do wish the returning oil had a more interesting effect like the old minds eye or destroyer oils.
Dude are you kidding me, switchaxe is the best it has EVER been. The new counter does great damage and is an excellent way to get into the amped state for power phials (which usually charge slower). 2 stage morph combo also makes using the new counter more seamless because of the major gains to sword gauge and amped charge it can provide, It removes the reliance on switch charger. I find the counter timing extremely generous but if you are having trouble with it try focusing on countering once at the start of the hunt (if you are using power phial) to gain amped state and then switching back to switch charger to maintain sword gauge more easily. The only switch skill I see no purpose for is the new axe movement silkbind, it's just kinda useless lol. There is so much variety in how you can play switchaxe in Rise, it's kind of insane. It finally feels like being in Axe mode is not an absolute hindrance.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Dude are you kidding me, switchaxe is the best it has EVER been. The new counter does great damage and is an excellent way to get into the amped state for power phials (which usually charge slower). 2 stage morph combo also makes using the new counter more seamless because of the major gains to sword gauge and amped charge it can provide, It removes the reliance on switch charger. I find the counter timing extremely generous but if you are having trouble with it try focusing on countering once at the start of the hunt (if you are using power phial) to gain amped state and then switching back to switch charger to maintain sword gauge more easily. The only switch skill I see no purpose for is the new axe movement silkbind, it's just kinda useless lol. There is so much variety in how you can play switchaxe in Rise, it's kind of insane. It finally feels like being in Axe mode is not an absolute hindrance.
Imagine how scrubby I felt giving it a Google an hour ago and seeing people popping off over the counter lol

Looks like I need to toy with it and the 2 stage morph more.

In clarification, I was kind of saying more that I felt they don't really know what to give the switch axe outside its base moves/build sword loop, but maybe I'm jumping the gun on these new tools, especially because I forgot about the power phial build nerf from world.

(I should add, I do enjoy it the weapon here)

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine how scrubby I felt giving it a Google an hour ago and seeing people popping off over the counter lol

Looks like I need to toy with it and the 2 stage morph more.

In clarification, I was kind of saying more that I felt they don't really know what to give the switch axe outside its base moves/build sword loop, but maybe I'm jumping the gun on these new tools, especially because I forgot about the power phial build nerf from world.

(I should add, I do enjoy it the weapon here)
Yeah 2-stage seems pretty underwhelming at first but it slots into the whole moveset really nicely.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Just got my Steam Deck and am going to start over for that sweet bump in frame rate and fidelity, and.. thank god for the Black Belt and Defender Weapons free DLC. It seemed really daunting starting over again, but that really helps speed things along to catch back up.

I started over last week too. My kids took the Switch on their vacay that had my save progress. Im now hopping between my desktop 4K gaming PC midday and Steam Deck before bedtime. Enjoying my vanilla run with a different weapon set.

Below is my in-game graphics settings that should provide a consistent 60fps with a bit of headroom. FYI.

What graphics settings do you have, and when is the last time you played Rise (base game)?

There have been few updates since launch, and one of them being supersample scaling (70% <-> 100% <-> 150% toggle) that wasn't working correctly prior to the recent patch. Prior to the fix, the game wasn't rendering at full 150% upscale. Post patch, it renders natively at 150% which will stress the heck out of your system. If you're on 150% scale, I'd recommend bringing it down to 100%.

Another setting to turn down if you haven't already done so is dynamic shadows. Turn this off as the benefit is imperceptible during gameplay but still has a noticeable hit to performance.

EDIT: Supersampling/upscaling (or downscaling) = Image Quality found under Advanced Graphics Settings.

FWIW, below are my settings that gives me crisp 60fps.

Image Quality: 100%
High Resolution Textures: Yes
Texture Filtering: High
Ambient Occlusion: On
Shadow Quality: Average
Dynamic Shadows: Off
Equipment Shadows: On
Processing Reduction via Model Swapping: Off
Mesh Quality (LoD): High
Anti-Aliasing: TAA+FXAA
Foliage Sway: On
Motion Blur: Off
Lens Distortion: Off
Vignette Effect: Default
Depth of Field: Off
Film Grain: Off
Filters: Off

You might be able to get away with High shadow settings and still hold 60fps, but risk slowdowns when action and VFX gets super intense. I'd keep it at Average since the difference is so negligible.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
I started over last week too. My kids took the Switch on their vacay that had my save progress. Im now hopping between my desktop 4K gaming PC midday and Steam Deck before bedtime. Enjoying my vanilla run with a different weapon set.

Below is my in-game graphics settings that should provide a consistent 60fps with a bit of headroom. FYI.

Ohh, thank for the settings! I haven't really tinkered. I just locked my FPS to 48 and was really happy with that, but maybe I'll push it even harder then. The difference from the Switch is sooo stark.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
Garangolm and Lunagaron are such fun fights, they really didn't miss with the new monsters additions. Hope at least one of these make it to MHW2.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
The new Kinsect Slash or whatever that allows you to pogo off the monster is so much fun.

Who cares if it's not optimal damage, I got through MR1 acting like Scrooge McDuck and just pogo-ing on monster's head. Fun!

iTheFlashback

Nov 16, 2020
Being too indecisive about whether to restart on pc or go straight to sunbreak on the switch, any feeling on how the player base is yet?

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Being too indecisive about whether to restart on pc or go straight to sunbreak on the switch, any feeling on how the player base is yet?
Should have no problems finding players on any system.

As for PC vs Switch, pretty much no reason to not get the PC version because of the night and day difference in visuals/performance.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Did they remove bleed resist straight up? I was looking at stats for Steve's armor and I didn't see the skill on it, which it used to be. Also don't have decos for it. Not a huge deal given the ways to counter it, just interesting.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
The new Kinsect Slash or whatever that allows you to pogo off the monster is so much fun.

Who cares if it's not optimal damage, I got through MR1 acting like Scrooge McDuck and just pogo-ing on monster's head. Fun!

You could always pogo the monsters, up to 3 times, with the normal air attack. Guess the new one is a more dircect hit while the other floats and slashes a bit.