• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What platform are you playing Sunbreak on?

• Switch

Votes: 514 46.3%
  • PC

Votes: 469 42.3%
  • Both

Votes: 41 3.7%
  • Neither, I don't like fun

Votes: 86 7.7%

• Total voters

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
I've been playing for 11.5 hours, fuck me. Oh well, next quest lol. It's just Rise but better and bigger with a sprinkling of QoL, it's exactly what I wanted. I just hope the end-game is there this time as Rise felt very unrewarding, especially the Apex monsters.

This game looks so much clearer on PC, damn.

Still looks good on my Switch but definitely a huge difference

I originally bought the Collectors Edition of Rise on Switch and enjoyed it, but the second I played the PC demo I knew I had to sell it and restart, it's just so much better I can't even put it into words, there's no way I could go back. It just gets me excited thinking about World II, built for current gen and PC in mind, it's going to be absolutely gorgeous.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else enjoying the Hopping Skewer? Im actually really glad they managed to make the food you eat something worth considering again. It's not gonna stop me from picking Dango Booster every single time but Im happy to not always be choosing the same 3 options like in the basegame. I'm having fun testing out a few different choices.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
On a more positive note, I think there is like 3 rampages or so in the whole game that are mandatory (IIRC). And I'm so glad there are none in MR.

They still are shit for sure, but at least it's a problem that you don't have to deal with constantly.

Hope you'll be able to push through!
I just beat that damn rampage quest. I hope that's the last mandatory one. I freaking hate rampages and I hope to Gilgamesh that they never do that mess again in any MH game. Just let us fight monsters and make crap like this optional.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
I haven't crafted anything yet and don't feel like I need to. I honestly check but see nothing worthwhile.

I thought it said I could upgrade my rampage weapon but the upgrade path is still the same old one with no ? like some of the other paths.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I actually enjoy rampages because I quite like tower defense but yeah, things like that should always be optional ( I can deal with them including that sort of thing once in the story though, it makes sense to make the player try everything at least once)

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else enjoying the Hopping Skewer? Im actually really glad they managed to make the food you eat something worth considering again. It's not gonna stop me from picking Dango Booster every single time but Im happy to not always be choosing the same 3 options like in the basegame. I'm having fun testing out a few different choices.
Could I ask how? I was looking at the hopping skewer and it felt not really worth it with the risk of failure.

I personally always go Booster too LOL.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
I'm glad Sunbreak didn't continue doing what Iceborne did and just crank up the defense values of starter MR armor skyhigh to immediately obsolete even the best High Rank armor.

If you really grinded the post-launch equipment in Rise, you can get through MR1 and maybe even MR2 without stopping to grind all that much. Get rewarded a little for having hunted those elder dragons.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
Could I ask how? I was looking at the hopping skewer and it felt not really worth it with the risk of failure.

I personally always go Booster too LOL.

Really? I think its totally worth it for the additional effects, but I also throw a Ticket on for good measure since I have a ton saved up. Im looking at Booster, Bird Caller, Moxie and it's giving me 90/100/100 chance respectively.

I never would have chosen Bird Caller in the main game but I also love finding the fastest most buff efficient route in each stage so having the ability to proc an additive to each Spiribird can be really helpful. Same with Wall Runner and any of the other stamina ones. I find the mechanic really interesting or at least broadens my desire to try different Dangos.

Honestly? Velociprey armor is real damn good general progression armor for pretty much every blademaster weapon. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up carrying me to the end game.
Yeah, as soon as I saw the skills and the slots, I was like "Damn, this is seriously great armor for something this early on" and I definitely see myself using it until something more GS-focused shows up. It's funny how you start with Daimyo Hermitaur in your maxed out Valstrax equipment being and basically tickling him, and then you start crafting the MR equipment and start experimenting with Rampage decos and it's like you're playing village quests again. All that, and the armor value isn't so high that you don't take your licks, so it's something of a fair fight.

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
I haven't crafted anything yet and don't feel like I need to. I honestly check but see nothing worthwhile.

I thought it said I could upgrade my rampage weapon but the upgrade path is still the same old one with no ? like some of the other paths.

I'm glad Sunbreak didn't continue doing what Iceborne did and just crank up the defense values of starter MR armor skyhigh to immediately obsolete even the best High Rank armor.

If you really grinded the post-launch equipment in Rise, you can get through MR1 and maybe even MR2 without stopping to grind all that much. Get rewarded a little for having hunted those elder dragons.

I had I think one piece of MR armor until end of MR3/mid MR4. Definitely a far cry from Iceborne where you're better off just getting a full metal/bone set immediately. I did keep upgrading my weapon, but besides that it's been mostly smooth sailing.

Also, if anyone else was wondering when the new switch skills show up:

You get access to them after the first set of required quests in MR4. Then they just give you the last two skills for each weapon, no quests needed.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Post a screenshot (and @ me okay) as I forgot what it is already.

Any way to get more lottery tickets?
MonthOLDpickle this one

npc_img_03_02.png

How do I get handicraft to work on my weapons? I've slotted multiple decos and nothing is happening?

Should already be in your character editor!
yep, didn't see it at first.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, as soon as I saw the skills and the slots, I was like "Damn, this is seriously great armor for something this early on" and I definitely see myself using it until something more GS-focused shows up. It's funny how you start with Daimyo Hermitaur in your maxed out Valstrax equipment being and basically tickling him, and then you start crafting the MR equipment and start experimenting with Rampage decos and it's like you're playing village quests again. All that, and the armor value isn't so high that you don't take your licks, so it's something of a fair fight.
Yeah/ Length wise the quests definitely feel like village quests as no individual monster has broken the ten minute mark aside from the first Hermitaur quest, but you do need to respect the monsters. This is something the progression of base Rise really needed, so I'm glad Sunbreak is this way.

So far Sunbreak's early master rank is reminding me of GU's G rank. Hopefully the paralells continue as when GU ramped up, it ramped up hard.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I didn't have to start seriously crafting armor until MR3, but I also had a really good endgame LS set, so I'm more surprised that held up as long as it did. At MR4 now.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I made a ragtag set of whatever I could make after doing quests only once when I got humbled by barioth, threw a few upgrades at each and now have 550 defense.

There is really no point in grinding anything except for weapon upgrades on whatever you plan to carry you through the end where you can make plans and focus. Whatever filler armor you make just needs to have enough slots combined with your talisman to cover your 2 most essential skills.

Please for the love of God, prioritize your defense and change out of your min max HR gear when you hit 3* if you are making the choice of playing online. Tried of watching fellow gunners and bow users get one shot.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
for the folks on PC.

How does it look? I read that the expansion looks a bit better than the base game, any truth to that?

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
I use Weakener, Slugger and Booster for my Dango. I always use a ticket and the secondary skewer. I don't think there's any better option for a Hammer? I also made a starter MR set and weapon which improved my survivability massively. It wasn't very hard to make either.

xH41JGz.jpg

for the folks on PC.

How does it look? I read that the expansion looks a bit better than the base game, any truth to that?

Looks the same to me and runs a little worse. Also DLSS is implemented terribly.

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
for the folks on PC.

I don't really feel like it looks any different. I haven't noticed it running any worse myself, but maybe I just had enough overhead. With a GTX 1080 and 5600X, I've got it maxed at 1440p 144hz.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019

I'm still in my HR Valstrax armour on MR4. Starting to feel like I might need an upgrade soon though. Haven't had a single cart so far but part of it is just a lot of MH experience.

Yeah, it's cool that my armour I spent so much time on want made obsolete by like MR chainmail or something :D

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
I moved on from my HR Gunlance mixed set to a MR Hermitaur set pretty quickly for the survivability boost (and it helps that Hermitaur by itself is pretty dang good for Gunlance with a few decos slotted in for Load Shells/Guard Up), but prior to that I had been getting along pretty well in MR with my HR builds. The MR upgrade wasn't really necessary, but I had the materials so I figured why not, y'know?

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
for the folks on PC.

Looks better in places, I specifically noticed improvements with shadows. One of my characters wears the Cunning Specs (the eyeglasses) layered armor and they used to look TERRIBLE due to how Rise did shadow/transparency dithering. If you were any sort of distance away the lenses just looked like a series of dots due to what I assume was a low resolution texture.

Cut to Sunbreak, now the lenses are crystal clear as they should be.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
Guess I didn't get full claws for that. I also thought the G one was glowing hands..but it didn't complete either. (I wish we didn't have quests liek these I rather just play lol).
I just skip all that stuff. There's no way I'll ever complete everything on the hunter's card so I have no issue with skipping the more obscure side quests.

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I go into the buddy board my current cat's equipped moves change. Is this a bug? Has this always been a thing and I'm an idiot? How are you supposed to min/max cats like this?

edit: looks like if you equip the lottery secret move to them then this happens. this seems like a bug? if it's not then the description for the move is super inaccurate

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Every time I go into the buddy board my current cat's equipped moves change. Is this a bug? Has this always been a thing and I'm an idiot? How are you supposed to min/max cats like this?

edit: looks like if you equip the lottery secret move to them then this happens. this seems like a bug? if it's not then the description for the move is super inaccurate
Yeah I've heard about some kind of bad glitch that will randomize palico skills if you equip one of their secret moves.

So no one should do that until it gets patched.

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've heard about some kind of bad glitch that will randomize palico skills if you equip one of their secret moves.

So no one should do that until it gets patched.
At least I know I'm not crazy. Like eight hunts in a row I kept going back and thinking like, "why am I using the wrong cat? I literally just checked!"

Sadire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 31, 2017
Love it so far, just struggling with my sharpness, I should've really gotten some Sharp decorations before. By the time the monster runs away I'm down to green.

Will switch to a better weapon soon.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
After nearly getting my shit wrecked by MR Arzuros I quickly crafted my first MR armor set, the Hunter X one.
I didn't really play in almost a year, and now realize I have almost no decorations and many HR weapon upgrade paths are still locked/unknown.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Everytime I play this game I wonder how I got this far with my horrible, sloppy play style.

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
The early game has been so damn fun, if the end game holds up this could be a solid 10/10 from me. I don't think I have ever put in a 16 hour session before but I just can't put it down. I was worried it wouldn't live up to my expectations but it has surpassed them for sure. My friend took the day off work too and we played together all day, it was so fun, it was like being a kid again.

Samurai_Heart

Oct 25, 2017
Are these follower collab quest worth doing at all?
From what I've watched/listened to they quest rewards unlock armour and weapons
Guess I didn't get full claws for that. I also thought the G one was glowing hands..but it didn't complete either. (I wish we didn't have quests liek these I rather just play lol).
When you have to take a photo for a quest a guild symbol should flash on frame to say that's what needed for the sidequest.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
So far, I have 2 mantles from killing a monster the first time.

Here is hoping that lunagaron bow gun is the best one

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Rise:Sunbreak looks...better graphically on PC compared to the base game on PC? if that makes sense. Not sure what tricks my eyes are playing here.

Last edited:

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What do people usually use in terms of Buddies?

In 4U and Gen, I used my usual Healer and Support Kitties.

But wondering what a Palamute brings to the table.

Samurai_Heart

Oct 25, 2017
What do people usually use in terms of Buddies?

In 4U and Gen, I used my usual Healer and Support Kitties.

But wondering what a Palamute brings to the table.
I use both as Palicos and as plunderers, which gives me extra random materials, sometimes even the rarest ones like gems etc. Harder quests/ones I have trouble with will be the monster focused types.

Palamute to me feels like if you want to get the quest done quick and with Sunbreak an addition as a mule though you could just head back to camp if your bag is full.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
My god, this astalos armor. Crit chain is a dual blade and elemental pierce gunners dream skill. If it had marathon runner instead power prolonger I would be in heaven.

The legs have full 3 rank of spare shot too. Looking at the prevalence of 4 slots and how rare 2 slots seem to be now, it makes sense in terms of efficiency to get that jump I guess. The fact that it just gives away 3 ranks of thunder means when I make this LGB set, it will be insanely efficient. Honestly, these single slots will likely all be going to defense boost if I can help it. I got in on my filler MR sets at rank 6 and you can absolutely feel the difference. Basically saves so much money on zenny and upgrade ore