• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What platform are you playing Sunbreak on?

• Switch

Votes: 514 46.3%
  • PC

Votes: 469 42.3%
  • Both

Votes: 41 3.7%
  • Neither, I don't like fun

Votes: 86 7.7%

• Total voters

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
The roster for Sunbreak is fantastic to me. There are so many fun monsters. Gore Magala and Seregios alone could carry a game for me but we're getting a lot of fun. Good times.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
Not much longer now folks!! I started playing Rise this morning to do the Emergency Apex quests to shake the rust off and damn Arzuros was knocking my head off with that running punch attack.

Did that and Kushala Daora and Teostra and I can't wait to get addicted to this game again.

Edit: Im gonna keep playing on Switch. I tried the PC demo and it ran like a dream but I think I'll wait for it to get a deeper discount on there a year or more from now. Switch is good enough for me.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
who am i kidding i don't know why i been so on the fence for this and i currently got nothing to play will hop back on my 80+hr switch character and have some fun and pain till xenoblade comes out

glad HR isn't needed because i did not want to grind rampages to 100+ feel like levels will come quick in G rank

would be awesome if i could change to male though i did hear that some of the female armors look somewhat like the male counterparts this time around, weapons were mostly disappointing in world due to them keeping the base bone look but that ant happening here

Samalis

Oct 25, 2017
Will they finally let us layer our weapons? I know you can do it on rampage weapons but it sucks we can't do it with regular weapons.

Sangral

Feb 17, 2022
Can't wait for it too. I've been very excited for the DLC. I played through Rise completely from new on my Steam Deck again in the last few weeks and I'm now in the middle of High Rank and I'm also finally deep into it again (which took a while for me). After watching Arekkz complete MH YouTube playlist from old to brand new, I'm finally well prepared again.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Options my man and what's wrong with that? It's not forced.
It allows people to skip actually learning the game while letting them rush to stuff well beyond their skill level. This would be no issue in a single player game but it negatively affects the online experience. It was very prominent in the low tiers of Iceborne.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
So I just picked up Rise. Is it me or does it feel a lot worse than World? Feels like there's significant input lag by comparison.

After playing Rise for a few hours, nothing was clicking with me. None of the weapons really felt great. Booted up World which I haven't played in a few years and was immediately taken aback at how much more responsive it felt.
Coming from World, Rise seems to have bit less hitstop, and with a lot of weapons, the hit sound effects are worse, so a bunch of the weapons might feel less impactful. Don't know anything about actual input lag tho.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
Played over 300 hours on Switch but only put in about 30 on PC so far but I'm insanely excited for Sunbreak this week. I have four days off this weekend so my friend and I should make a decent dent in it.

Personally I love the addition of gear to get you through the base game. I don't really want to spend all that time on PC to grind out gear again so having a way to get to master rank quicker is a huge help.

I will admit to being a bit disappointed in the monster roster for the expansion but only because I have a few favourites that I loved fighting in MHWI that I was hoping would show up here too.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
It allows people to skip actually learning the game while letting them rush to stuff well beyond their skill level. This would be no issue in a single player game but it negatively affects the online experience. It was very prominent in the low tiers of Iceborne.

While I agree with you I knew that now that was the way they were going to do it going forward. Anything to get more people to the newest stuff seems to be the way everything goes.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Options my man and what's wrong with that? It's not forced.
It's an option that doesn't make any sense for the new players it's marketed towards.

What reason is there for a new player to try and skip through the base game content as fast as possible? It's not like it's an easier difficulty mode, because the defender armor will become worthless once they progress a bit into the DLC content. So they're learning the basics of Monster Hunter at the highest difficulty. And they have no reason to rush for the DLC content when the base game content should be just as new and exciting for them.

Last edited:

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
If they want people to get to new stuff quicker, without messing the learning curve in the process,

Capcom could just make more Special License Tests

After Blue Apex,
"Okay, if you can do this Special License test solo, skip to Ibushi rampage"
then after Ibushi,
"Now this test is available, after that skip to Narwa"
You beat Narwa, then it's Sunbreak time.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Still not thrilled we are not even getting the picklesaurus...
I am personally REALLY disappointed in this one. Deviljho is probably my single favourite monster and is popular and in everything.

Except the for the one MH game I finally come back to after not playing the series since MH3U. Fuck. >:(

Last edited:

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
The catch up armor is NOWHERE near as powerful as the defender gear was in world. It's obsolete almost immediately into High Rank and is basically only great through the village stuff which is heavily undertuned. Which is by design as completing village sets skips you to the starts of HR in the guild basically.

The game has a gigantic learning curve and the armor is a bandaid on that. Complaining about it ruining your online hunts is fucking silly. Worry a out the garbage reckless meta chasers who will ruin your endgame quests far more than the few newbies who make it that far

Timcanpies

Sep 17, 2020
The catch up armor is NOWHERE near as powerful as the defender gear was in world. It's obsolete almost immediately into High Rank and is basically only great through the village stuff which is heavily undertuned. Which is by design as completing village sets skips you to the starts of HR in the guild basically.

The game has a gigantic learning curve and the armor is a bandaid on that. Complaining about it ruining your online hunts is fucking silly. Worry a out the garbage reckless meta chasers who will ruin your endgame quests far more than the few newbies who make it that far
They're introducing new better catchup armour once Sunbreak is out

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

The new catchup armor has 330 starting defense. That's pretty damn good for high rank.
I am personally REALLY disappointed in this one. Deviljho is probably my single favourite monster and is popular and in everything.

Except the for in the one MH game I finally come back to after not playing the series since MH3U. Fuck. >:(
Honestly, I think no Deviljho is good. Invaders don't really work in Rise. Jho appearing in a quest just means free monster rides.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I think no Deviljho is good. Invaders don't really work in Rise. Jho appearing in a quest just means free monster rides.
So make him less rideable, like trying to stay on a raging bull. It would be in character anyway.

Between Jho and Lagi, neither of my favourite two monsters have returned, despite both being super popular. :(

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
I'm a bit on the fence on this one. I want to jump back into MH, but I also feel like the price is a bit steep for the amount of new stuff in it. I don't know.

I'll have to think about it, I guess. I'll definitely buy it eventually, I just don't know when.

For me, it's not just the new monsters that I want to see, but the master rank versions of the earlier cast; fighting stuff in master rank is always much more interesting IMO, they'll get extra moves or combos and just generally behave much more aggressively. I remember being surprisingly disappointed by Rajang in Rise, only to realize that he was only master rank (and post-game at that) in iceborn; in rise he's appropriate for the rank, but that makes him just kinda a pushover. We're also getting a bunch of new switch skills, which add some variety to the weapons.

So I just picked up Rise. Is it me or does it feel a lot worse than World? Feels like there's significant input lag by comparison.

After playing Rise for a few hours, nothing was clicking with me. None of the weapons really felt great. Booted up World which I haven't played in a few years and was immediately taken aback at how much more responsive it felt.

This is on PC (165Hz, gsync, both games capped to 161fps without any dips).

Coming from World, Rise seems to have bit less hitstop, and with a lot of weapons, the hit sound effects are worse, so a bunch of the weapons might feel less impactful. Don't know anything about actual input lag tho.

I think this is the answer; the hitstop and sound changes combine to make things feel less... I dunno, chunky. Especially landing something like TCS with greatsword.

Will they finally let us layer our weapons? I know you can do it on rampage weapons but it sucks we can't do it with regular weapons.

I'd like to see this in the game proper, but if you're playing on PC there's a mod that lets you layer any weapon, which is pretty nice.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
I can't believe I am even considering not buying on release day but the more I look the more it seems a bunch of recolors being touted as new monsters and 3 or 4 actual new monsters that look somewhat similar to the old ones, dragons and dogs. Variants, subspecies and the like are the parts I almost actively avoided in the old MH games it always felt like filler..., even the returning ones,, no Elephant, no Duramboros, no Jho, no Jehn, no Atal, no Seltas/Queen, no Brach, not even Agnator, but a fucking a fire variant of the shitty worm that was already a copy of the fucking mud-fish that somehow were both in the base game.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
I was dumb and though the game was out today so booked holiday off till Thursday...

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
I can't believe I am even considering not buying on release day but the more I look the more it seems a bunch of recolors being touted as new monsters and 3 or 4 actual new monsters that look somewhat similar to the old ones, dragons and dogs. Variants, subspecies and the like are the parts I almost actively avoided in the old MH games it always felt like filler..., even the returning ones,, no Elephant, no Duramboros, no Jho, no Jehn, no Atal, no Seltas/Queen, no Brach, not even Agnator, but a fucking a fire variant of the shitty worm that was already a copy of the fucking mud-fish that somehow were both in the base game.
There are exactly 4 subspecies alongside 2 variants. This is less than average, typically we get 6 subspecies and a few variants. I understand the rest though, but I don't know where people are getting the notion that there are a lot of subspecies. Iceborne had *15* of them. Importantly compared to the older games, by 4th gen they've been making subspeces rather different - you can see this in Iceborne a lot - and they're no longer blue kut ku situations where they have maybe 1 extra move and a different weakness. They're often mostly unique movesets or twists on old moves.

For new monsters, yup, expansions typically bring only a few. Iceborne holds the record of 5 total, up from prior 3 out of all prior games.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I like the roster so far but the large monster numbers are disappointing...

It's literally one less than Iceborne and we already got two more confirmed for the first update, with more coming.

The amount of monsters in Rise isn't a problem, it's how fast you chew through them. I hope Master Rank will alleviate that by making quests meatier and monsters more interesting to fight.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Would you guys rather have one new area and more monsters or like it is now?

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Would you guys rather have one new area and more monsters or like it is now?

I'll take a new area over a couple of lame subspecies I would rarely fight anyday.

"Bowgun ammo power has been adjusted."
RIP Bowgun meta lol
"The amount of time it takes to mount your Palamute by holding the button has been decreased."
Maybe back to demo time mount, woo

It's mostly very minor buffs for ammo people don't use, except for sticky ammo stun values dropping by like 30-40%. Slashing ammo got a minor nerf, but it's partbreak damage was buffed so that ultimately it's a gain for the ammos original purpose of cutting tails. It's all kind of a wash compared to what the switch skills added.

gyrspike

Jan 18, 2018
"Bowgun ammo power has been adjusted."
RIP Bowgun meta lol
"The amount of time it takes to mount your Palamute by holding the button has been decreased."
Maybe back to demo time mount, woo
Yeah abit of a nerf to slicing and sticky. But normal ammo and piercing 3 got buffed. Hopefully something like a RF Normal 2 build will be decent enough in Sunbreak cause in Rise normal ammo is a joke for damage.

Shiki

Nov 30, 2017
The roster is really solid, all things considered. Almost everyone of my favorites are there. The only thing I miss is the skeleton variety MH4 had
I still miss:

- Najarala (would be far too easy now because of silkbugs).
- Seltas queen (why the hell isn't she back, awesome monster)
- Nerscylla (but Rakna Kadaki is a great alternative)
- Agnaktor (magma almudron is almost the same thing anyway)
- Deviljho (not as an invader, just a regular fight)
- Brachydios
- Qurupeco (and crimson)
- Akantor, Ukanlos and the 3 fatalises

Considering the size of the monster pool they have to pick from, I think they picked a lot of winners (except you Jyuratodus)

AzVal

May 7, 2018
There are exactly 4 subspecies alongside 2 variants. This is less than average, typically we get 6 subspecies and a few variants. I understand the rest though, but I don't know where people are getting the notion that there are a lot of subspecies. Iceborne had *15* of them. Importantly compared to the older games, by 4th gen they've been making subspeces rather different - you can see this in Iceborne a lot - and they're no longer blue kut ku situations where they have maybe 1 extra move and a different weakness. They're often mostly unique movesets or twists on old moves.

For new monsters, yup, expansions typically bring only a few. Iceborne holds the record of 5 total, up from prior 3 out of all prior games.
fair, but am counting the planned updates that hint subspecies and special species...I don't think any of those list New monsters, so unless we get a Bazel situation, we are locked to what we have on Sunbreak plus remixes....
also never finished World.... MHGU must have spoiled me....

Switters

Oct 28, 2017
I beat Magnamalo watched the credits and then quit Rise.

How long would it theoretically take me to get to sunbreak content if I picked it up from where I left off? Is it worth it or should I wait for a sale?

I beat Magnamalo watched the credits and then quit Rise.

How long would it theoretically take me to get to sunbreak content if I picked it up from where I left off? Is it worth it or should I wait for a sale?
It shouldn't take very long at all. If you complete all the village quests, you unlock a series of special license quests that will let you skip through all of the low rank quests in the hub and take you straight to the Apex Arzuros Rampage urgent that you need to complete in order to hit high rank, and then from there it's doing all of your key quests until you hit HR7 and unlock the Thunder Serpent Narwa urgent that's required to start Sunbreak.

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
Sunbreak will support DLSS and there's a new driver for Sunbreak so make sure to grab that!

hnsrcj8pnf891.jpg

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
Is this really because of these gear sets, or an issue that had always been with G Rank but amplified with the amount new players to the franchise and how World changed the game structure (restock at camp, general difficulty, etc.)? I had a coworker that I played base World with a few times, and while they weren't terrible, Iceborne was too much of a jump for them. I saw the same thing with a some of the people from certain group of games journalists/content creators that where they eventually sort of got there but really struggled with Iceborne even though they cleared base World with relative ease. Pre-World games definitely took a commitment to get into before G Rank, but there were definitely people who seemed like they didn't know what they were doing in early hunts every occasional room or so.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Is this really because of these gear sets, or an issue that had always been with G Rank but amplified with the amount new players to the franchise and how World changed the game structure? I had a coworker that I played base World with a few times, and while they weren't terrible, Iceborne was too much of a jump for them. I saw the same thing with a some of the people from certain group of games journalists/content creators that where they eventually sort of got there but really struggled with Iceborne even though they cleared base World with relative ease. Pre-World games definitely took a commitment to get into before G Rank, but there were definitely people who seemed like they didn't know what they were doing in early hunts every occasional room or so.
I think the issue always was there. In MH4U G1/G2 you would occasionally find people who clearly got carried through high rank and they had no shot at progressing in G rank.

I mostly play solo or with people I know so I cannot say if it's worse in Iceborne.

I think the issue always was there. In MH4U G1/G2 you would occasionally find people who clearly got carried through high rank and they had no shot at progressing in G rank.

I mostly play solo or with people I know so I cannot say if it's worse in Iceborne.
I really don't think it's dramatically worse in terms of percentages. I think Iceborne only seems like it exacerbated the problem just because it was so much bigger than previous expansions in terms of raw numbers, but in the end, I have a hard time believing that it was dramatically more lopsided for folks to discover just how much a lot of players got by on being carried in the end. Folks honestly just want to reach the end of the game in terms of the main progression and be done with it.

Oct 25, 2017

Unlike the transition from Low to High rank, Master comes out after a large gap and basically continues from High rank advanced quests. Lots of players who didn't practice their skills are thrown into a significantly harder mode, and with both World and Rise, after a large time away from the game. The biggest thing they could do is add in a few transitionary quests to reacquaint players with the game while giving them some basic Master Rank armor to ease them into things a bit better.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
Oh shit we actually got a first look at the new endgame in today's trailer with Afflicted Tetranodon looks awesome. The system sounds way better than tempered monsters of MHW.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Sounds awfully gate-keepy to me. We'll be alright.