• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
screenshot2021-03-23arpj7j.png

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Good to hear, I'm hyped. Bummer about lack of endgame stuff, but that always gets resolved with continued content especially if World is any indication.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
So I've now pre-ordered despite originally having no intention of playing this. Wow I am too easily influenced by hype and good review scores.

Deleted member 4198

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if monster HP scales with number of players in multiplayer again or if it's always the same HP like it was before?

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed the demo and a challenging time against magnamalo. Good to see it review well, definitely day 1

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Sorry if dumb question, is matchmaking with randoms with no voice chat viable for the late-game? I don't have many friends interested in this but if I bought it I'd wanna try and get the most out of it.

Wander

Oct 25, 2017
This is my first serious commitment on monster hunter and I put 25 hours in the demo lmao

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Games Machine (9.2/10, review in Italian):
Monster Hunter Rise marks the beginning of a new era for the series' pocket adventures, finally free from the antiquated mechanics that the previous chapter, Generations Ultimate, brought with it.

TheSixthAxis (9/10):
Monster Hunter Rise is an incredible game. While it may not feel quite as ground-breaking for the series as World did, it boasts a stronger and distinctly Japanese identity, and the changes and streamlined gameplay simply focus on the franchise's true stars – the monsters. Rise is easily one of the best games for the Nintendo Switch, and one of the finest Monster Hunters ever.

Fextralife (9/10):
Monster Hunter Rise is an excellent entry into the series that enhances RPG and combat mechanics while also keeping the game accessible to newcomers. A fun, addictive and satisfying experience for the old school and uninitiated alike, MHR will likely be the best game out on Switch all year.

Enternity.gr (9/10, review in Greek):
Monster Hunter Rise is the first title in the series developed exclusively for the Nintendo Switch and looks really great on either the TV or the console screen.

Filmweb (9/10, review in Polish):
Thrilling and quite refreshing experience. Japanese folklore pours from every frame of this game, And it's awesome!

Nintendo Wire (9/10):
For a certain type of player, Monster Hunter Rise is a Switch essential. If you're both patient and attentive, and can handle massive opposition in the face of dedication, you will thrive. Though it can feel like taking on an iceberg with a butter knife at times, those behemoths are whittled down eventually and those moments can feel utterly glorious.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ars Technica (approved):
I don't always return to games I've reviewed; I play them enough for the sake of writing an article, then move on. Duty calls. But Monster Hunter Rise hits me differently. I like how its structure can scale for as much or as little combat as I want, with however many friends I want, and I love how its updated move suite has already fueled some of my loudest "#$&@ yes!" combat-success moments in the past few years. If you're a Switch owner hungry for a game that lets you connect with friends for epic battles, I'm confident that you won't find a better option on Nintendo's home-portable hybrid console.

Multiplayer.it (9/10, review in Italian):
It's incredible to have such a fun and marvelous Monster Hunter on Nintendo Switch.

GAMES.CH (87%, review in German):
Even after its fantastic predecessor Monster Hunter Rise is far away from disappointing. The Palamute feature proves itself as an enrichment, making things faster and more comfortable. The wirebug enhances the variety of brute monster combat and exploration. There is just one weakness preventing the game from reaching outstanding Monster Hunter World on eye level: Overall, it's a little bit too easy for experienced gamers, especially related to the dual buddy system.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I plan on mostly playing MP with my hunting group, and we have different levels of commitment for doing the Village quests. Does anyone know if certain features like the farm or silkbind moves are locked behind SP content, or can you unlock them in MP as well?

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Sorry if dumb question, is matchmaking with randoms with no voice chat viable for the late-game? I don't have many friends interested in this but if I bought it I'd wanna try and get the most out of it.
Going by past games, I'd say so. Most people use keyboard if they really need to communicate something before a hunt. Not anticipating any endgame monsters (that does skill checks like Alatreon) that would require intense communication anyway.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Need to wait for the pc release. Wish you a fun time with the switch version.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
my body is ready for more monster hunter every old fan knew this was gonna be some good shit ,the only thing i was bummed about at the time is not having a lot of skills like the styles in MHGU but it turns out there are more switch skills than what they shown

this will be such a good time killer till NGS comes out

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's fine to do that. It's how I play online.

There were a couple endgame fights in World that ask the players for specific things and it could be hard to get a group of randoms together that knows all of it, but Rise doesn't seem to have anything like that right now.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
If you're in late game, you're probably playing with people who know what they're doing. At that point you just fight the monster and don't try to impede people.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Haven't read the reviews yet, only the quotes, but how enjoyable this one is if played mainly solo?

Also, the reviews/opinions seem to be all over the place regarding innovation vs traditional to accessibility/1st MH experience vs core product for the fanbase.

I've read everything and its opposite lol,

Same "problem"/question. I guess it depends obviously from the randoms you're caught up with. Unfortunately my friends only play FIFA lol ...or don't play vgs at all :/

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whew. I was expecting Rise to be good... But better than World?
That wait for PC is gonna be maddening.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Since there isn't an OT yet, I'll use this thread to confirm: Amiibo from Generations don't appear to unlock anything special. I used a Rathian amiibo at the market spot where they're accepted, and it works like other non-MHR Amiibo, simply letting you flip a coin and potentially get some low-priced items for free. Zenny flows like water in this game, so it's a shoulder-shrug of a bonus so far. (I don't have any MHR-specific Amiibo to test yet, for the record.)

Mar 11, 2021
For anyone debating buying now vs. waiting for PC, I recommend just getting it.

Think about it, this isn't going to have the graphical ceiling of Monster Hunter World. Even with higher resolution and higher FPS, I don't think this is going to be blowing your mind. And if that's the case, why not just get now while the hunting is hot?

And in any case, Monster Hunter World Sequel will be way more impressive on PC. So wait for that. And buy this now.

Since there isn't an OT yet, I'll use this thread to confirm: Amiibo from Generations don't appear to unlock anything special. I used a Rathian amiibo at the market spot where they're accepted, and it works like other non-MHR Amiibo, simply letting you flip a coin and potentially get some low-priced items for free. Zenny flows like water in this game, so it's a shoulder-shrug of a bonus so far. (I don't have any MHR-specific Amiibo to test yet, for the record.)
It was always a longshot since the Stories amiibo didn't release outside of Japan, but thanks for checking anyway.

I do wonder if the Rise amiibo will work with Stories 2, but that is a problem for a different day.

pizzaparty

Oct 28, 2017
Any of the reviews discuss whether every individual player needs to post and complete urgents for progress?

Oct 26, 2017
For anyone debating buying now vs. waiting for PC, I recommend just getting it.

Think about it, this isn't going to have the graphical ceiling of Monster Hunter World. Even with higher resolution and higher FPS, I don't think this is going to be blowing your mind. And if that's the case, why not just get now while the hunting is hot?

And in any case, Monster Hunter World Sequel will be way more impressive on PC. So wait for that. And buy this now.
I dont need mhrise pc to blow my mind, but i do actually want to be able to see whats going on. This game looks terrible on a 55 inch tv, its 720p~ stretched well beyond its time

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Same "problem"/question. I guess it depends obviously from the randoms you're caught up with. Unfortunately my friends only play FIFA lol ...or don't play vgs at all :/
I only did multiplayer with randoms in world and it was usually a good experience for me. Some fights are tough and the team might wipe, but that's part of the charm. And whenever you see some name with kanji or hiragana you know you're in for a win.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
With a metascore of 86 and after I watched a couple video reviews, I don't think it is as exceptionally great as World, according to the consensus, at least.
Still great, though.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
with Switch Pro heavily rumored it is even more of a reason to jump on this version imo, I am certain this will be one of the games that will get an update

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Washington Post (9/10):
This year is looking pretty dry for big title releases as the world continues to grapple with the pandemic, and huge titles are seeing delays. The Nintendo Switch in particular has had a bit of a dry spell, but "Rise" comes in like a kaiju out of the tide. This is probably the best "Monster Hunter" game to date, and an easy, early contender for 2021′s best game.

TheGamer (4.5/5):
It's a great entry point thanks to the Village Quests and helpful dog companion. If you're a fan who already pre-ordered and want to know if it's good, rest assured. You might actually like Rise better than World, as it brings back some of the strategic variety while building on more recent quality-of-life updates. It's a shame that the Switch holds the game back in small ways, but this is a contender for best in the series. If post-launch support is as good as it was for World, this game could easily rise above the rest.

Mar 11, 2021
I dont need mhrise pc to blow my mind, but i do actually want to be able to see whats going on. This game looks terrible on a 55 inch tv, its 720p~ stretched well beyond its time
Cool. Makes sense.

Actually, I should take back what I said. I saw Breath of the Wild running in 1440p 120 FPS. It blew my mind. So I could see this game getting a similar upgrade.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
There are really no bad (main) MH games but i don't like the direction of Rise which is pretty much a sequel to Generations.
I'll wait for the PC version so at leat there will be more content already available.

People that liked generations will love this one though.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Will 10 year olds like playing this online together? My son is entirely sick of Fortnight.

And does it all fit on the cartridge or does it need extra space to be played?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Can't read through them since I'm at work, but have they improved the Co-Op process?

It's an improvement over World or at least iterative

- Cutscene lock out for campaign is gone. Cutscenes skippable
- Urgent quests clear for all players. no need to repeat 4 times for each member
- Drop in- Drop out, "signal flare" still in but changed to a different visual

There is more but Ill let other posters break it down further