• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

System2

Oct 27, 2017
California
For people testing controller rumble, easy way to test it is to use the Bow and then just hold the aim charge. It should pulse twice. Also, from experience I found that the Switch Pro Controller on pc has weaker rumble, Xbox Controllers have correct amount, and Dualsense is wayyy overboard. This is for games w/o specific support for Dualsense haptics.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man browsing for in progress quests sure is a step back from World.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Tried that as well didn't seem to work, how did you change that exactly ?
If the game is not showing up your monitor proper resolution and is locked at a really low one, switch to borderless, select your res and switch back to full screen.

I play on an OLED and for some reason it was locked at 720p, switching to borderless I could select 4K and when I returned to fullscreen I kept the 4K res.

OP
OP
Kanhir

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else having sporadic frametime issues? It's rare, but sometimes I get 50-130ms between frames, usually during a fight but not always.

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
Is anyone else having sporadic frametime issues? It's rare, but sometimes I get 50-130ms between frames, usually during a fight but not always.
Yes, I had the same issue in the Demo also. Like you say, it's rare, and happens randomly. I've had it happen in fights and just randomly walking around town.

Thankfully, it doesn't last long and doesn't happen a ton at all to the point where it's ruining the game experience.

I was kind of curious if it is a steam controller input issue cause from what I remember World for a long time had issues with controllers introducing stutters sometimes to the game and that was discovered cause of steams controller input, had it happen in that also a bit.

Last edited:

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Loving it so far! Still adjusting to wire bugs and wall running, but I can see this becoming something that makes World a bit tricky to adjust to after a while =P Still not sure whether to keep my palamute though or have two gathering palicoes. I might try two palicoes before I get too used to the palamute mount.

Also, what's with the MH team and their tutorial design? Every damn game, it's always so badly implemented, and Rise might be the worst of them all. A really annoying tutorial NPC, followed by obtrusive tutorial boxes, which themselves require a pop-up exit confirmation box each time which defaults to "No, don't exit the tutorial". WHY!?

Icarian

May 9, 2018
I really liked how they handled it in this personally. Just off to the board, pick the quest you want to do and it'll dump you in an MP lobby for it.

100% agree, the way they changed it for World was actually a huge step down IMO. It's way more handy to just select the quest you want to do instead of having to browse a list of currently active hunts.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Casual 75k 1h after launch

unknown.png

90K playing at the moment on a Thursday afternoon.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Are there some event quests I should be doing for some good early game gear? I remember World had plenty of those.

Bisonian

Oct 27, 2017

I know there are probably only a few of us left waiting at this point, but there is the latest update. I talked to someone from support and they said that if I wanted a refund I could get it and then purchase a non pre-order key immediately. The delay is in fulfilling the final preorder keys. I preordered early November, so I'm not sure how many are left in that boat, or what order they are fulfilling them in.

The twitter thread mentions additional compensation, for whatever that's going to be worth.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

I know there are probably only a few of us left waiting at this point, but there is the latest update. I talked to someone from support and they said that if I wanted a refund I could get it and then purchase a non pre-order key immediately. The delay is in fulfilling the final preorder keys. I preordered early November, so I'm not sure how many are left in that boat, or what order they are fulfilling them in.

The twitter thread mentions additional compensation, for whatever that's going to be worth.

Sucks. This rarely happens and it did with one of the biggest PC games of the early year. Hope you get to play soon.

Bisonian

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks. This rarely happens and it did with one of the biggest PC games of the early year. Hope you get to play soon.

Yeah it sucks, but realistically I've played through it on Switch and I've been a loyal customer of theirs for the better part of a decade. They've always taken care of me until today so I'll live. Happy to hear the port sounds real good though.

SiegeDamage

Sep 23, 2020
I've put over 400 hours on the Switch version. Anyone out there with reservations: GET IT. It's truly an excellent game with a ton of content.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Kind of a noob who only really properly started MH with World/Iceborne (which progression seems a bit different).

Looking at some of the replies in this thread, I should probably do Village>Hub> leads to HR which continues the village story.

Would doing Hub at the same time as Village be viable or would I be too weak/better to wait until later?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Kind of a noob who only really properly started MH with World/Iceborne (which progression seems a bit different).

Looking at some of the replies in this thread, I should probably do Village>Hub> leads to HR which continues the village story.

Would doing Hub at the same time as Village be viable or would I be too weak/better to wait until later?
Hub is more difficult but me and my friend jumped straight into it without touching Village quests and its been going fine.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England

I know people who played both Rise and World pretty much exclusively in hub. The story has always been threadbare in these games (with World as an exception, but even there it wasn't anything amazing) so if you prefer the MP aspect of these games and hunting in groups there's nothing wrong with just staying in the hub. The games are built to support that decision =)

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Event quests are permanent now, right?
It's not like MH:World where they rotate after a week or two.

I've only played a couple of quests, but the tutorials are so shit. Just a massive bombardment of information that you'll never remember.
It's not too bad for me since I've played World, but it must be hell for new players. World wasn't great for this either, but at least you didn't get dumped straight into being taught about wirebugs and felyne/doggo training and two separate streams for progression before you've even seen a large monster.

Otherwise, I like it. The Japanese watercolour aesthetic is great, and I prefer the more anime feel compared to World's more "realistic" colours/art.

Event quests are permanent now, right?
It's not like MH:World where they rotate after a week or two.

I've only played a couple of quests, but the tutorials are so shit. Just a massive bombardment of information that you'll never remember.
It's not too bad for me since I've played World, but it must be hell for new players. World wasn't great for this either, but at least you didn't get dumped straight into being taught about wirebugs and felyne/doggo training and two separate streams for progression before you've even seen a large monster.

Otherwise, I like it. The Japanese watercolour aesthetic is great, and I prefer the more anime feel compared to World's more "realistic" colours/art.
Yeah, event quests are permanent.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth it playing Bow early game before you have money/ingredients/etc?

Or should I just try to start learning it later on when I don't have to worry about coatings and stuff

udivision

Oct 25, 2017

Hmm... it's not like I need the preorder bonuses or anything but I guess it wouldn't hurt to keep waiting since I don't know how long the refund process would take.

Negatorous

Jul 14, 2018
There is no health bar for monsters in this game? I was just watching some video and I didn't notice any.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
There is no health bar for monsters in this game? I was just watching some video and I didn't notice any.
Nope. When they start limping that's the only indication they're low on health (and a blue icon under their icon in the top corner).

I'll put it this way, we just got damage numbers in the last game.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Still just trying out weapons out that I wanna use. Wirebug is fun but man. Everything that isn't hunting monsters is testing me. Writing, dialog, characters, menus, ui, tutorials, etc.

It's a MH game alright.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone playing in ultrawide without an ultrawide monitor?

Did this on my tv for Death Stranding DC and it looked sublime

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Is it worth it playing Bow early game before you have money/ingredients/etc?

Or should I just try to start learning it later on when I don't have to worry about coatings and stuff

I've been using bow for early village quests (having never used it before) and I've been fine. The quests are easy and you get unlimited close range coatings. And you get 25 power coatings in the supply box.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know of a guide to getting all the unlockable stuff? I played on Switch but I can't remember how to get to all the important stuff >.>

Sort of. Monsters will start to limp when they're low on health. In Rise, there's also a little blue icon that pops up underneath the Monster's portrait in the UI when they're at low enough health to be captured.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
I know people who played both Rise and World pretty much exclusively in hub. The story has always been threadbare in these games (with World as an exception, but even there it wasn't anything amazing) so if you prefer the MP aspect of these games and hunting in groups there's nothing wrong with just staying in the hub. The games are built to support that decision =)
Cool, great to hear that it might not be too bad.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Nope. When they start limping that's the only indication they're low on health (and a blue icon under their icon in the top corner).

I'll put it this way, we just got damage numbers in the last game.
And I still switch the damage numbers off =D I love the lack of health bars / numbers. Keeps me more focused on the visual display of health, like limping and damaged parts. I wish they put more effort into making the rest of the HUD/UI more dynamic too, to massively reduce screen clutter in an immersive way.
Still just trying out weapons out that I wanna use. Wirebug is fun but man. Everything that isn't hunting monsters is testing me. Writing, dialog, characters, menus, ui, tutorials, etc.

It's a MH game alright.
Haha! Yes. It will be interesting to see how MH6 compares in these respects. They should finally be able to throw big money at this IP knowing it will sell well, so fingers crossed they finally pay the UI/UX and tutorials some real attention and put a decent team on those elements.

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
Played a bit last night. Whew, am I rusty. Resisted picking the insect glaive back up, which was my go-to in World, and trying out the charge blade. You can definitely tell this was a port from a Switch game sometimes - the town area is separated into small sections. Loading is near instantaneous though.

It's not often I say this when I sit 10 ft away from a 4K set, but the HUD / text size in this game is gigantic. And as far as I can tell, you can turn off individual HUD elements but there's no way to scale it. I think that's going to be the first mod I'll want...

I laughed when I saw you could "drift" while riding the palamute. Then I tried it. It actually feels pretty awesome.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone encountering(what I can only describe as) slight screen tearing with G-Sync on? It felt like screen tearing (playing on a C9 with G-SYNC, V-Sync off and unlimited framerate), but wasn't enough to blatantly look like it if that makes sense. Not sure if maybe i'm describing something else.

Otherwise, coming from the switch version with all the bells and whistles turned on, the game looks PHENOMENAL. I may playthrough the full game all over again.

XBlade

Oct 26, 2017
Encounted a bizzare issue in the gathering hub after returning from a hunt where some of the textures started flickering between low and high res. (playing on a 3080)

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
I'm trying out SnS for the first time and I am flinching all the time in multiplayer. Is this normal? It's really annoying! My friends are using Bow, HH, and Hammer - are any of them the potential cause?

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I'm trying out SnS for the first time and I am flinching all the time in multiplayer. Is this normal? It's really annoying! My friends are using Bow, HH, and Hammer - are any of them the potential cause?
Most probably the HH and Hammer, they hit like a truck and if you're near them... yea, you're gonna flinch.

Greenlock

Oct 3, 2018
Anyone playing in ultrawide without an ultrawide monitor?

Did this on my tv for Death Stranding DC and it looked sublime

Yes! It's so awesome! Everything is better. This is making me really consider getting a good ultra wide monitor. I've got a 32" 16:9 now but if I can find a reasonable 21:9 I might go for it.