• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Hammer, LS, GS, & SnS are my usual weapons with some lance and gunner stuff thrown in.

But question for hammer bros who are willing to indulge me: how do y'all feel about hammer in Rise?

Hammer is my main weapon and I adored it in 4U, Gen/GU, and World/IB. But something about it in Rise just kinda feels off to me.
It really just boils down to disliking how strong Impact Crater is and how often it's up. Just makes the entire gameplay loop centered around using it and stacking wirebugs. Probably just need to adjust my mentality and not have this weird DPS FOMO lol. Everything else honestly feels great, if not a little weaker than what I'm used to compared to previous games. Curious to see how others feel.

Maybe another go at it on PC is all I need.

I agree with this. I don't really get a lot out of stance switching and Impact Crater spam gets old. Kind of lessened the satisfaction of the weapon. Similar thing happened to the Lance where it no longer is like playing the lance with positioning and countering but instead about doing weird dash-guard impact spam with Spiral Thrust to instant-transmission all over the place.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Knowing Capcom it'll be a 12 PM est release or 3 AM EST release.

We're launching at 9:00am PST simultaneously worldwide. In other words, 11.5 hours from this post.

As for pre-loading, there won't be any since the download size is around 19GB and it doesn't meet Steam's minimum threshold to qualify for pre-loads.

I suppose there's diminishing return in terms of time saved from pre-loading vs. time required to decrypt the pre-load bits below a certain package size. In some cases, downloading and installing games from straight-up unencrypted data may be faster. Still sucks for folks who are on slow internet connections, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
We're launching at 9:00am PST simultaneously worldwide. In other words, 11.5 hours from this post.

Sadage but understandable.

As for pre-loading, there won't be any since the download size is around 19GB and it doesn't meet Steam's minimum threshold to qualify for pre-loads.

Wait... Steam has a minimum threshold for how big a game must be to allow for pre-loads? What? I had no idea this was a thing. I thought it was just 100% a publisher decision but it makes a lot of sense now.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I suppose there's diminishing return in terms of time saved from pre-loading vs. time required to decrypt the pre-load bits below certain package size. In some cases, downloading and installing games from straight-up unencrypted data may be faster. Still sucks for folks who are on slow internet connections, but it is what it is.
Thank you for the clarification. Good to know the game is only 19gb though. Was expecting it to be 30-50 or something lol

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Connectivity to Steam's matchmaking server is paramount for a game like Monster Hunter, so we chose to launch during Valve's core office hours in case something goes awry that requires Valve's attention.

Ah I see, that is a good reason. I understand why you guys choose to do it like that.

Thank you for clarifying.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I really hope Greenman gets me my code for the Deluxe edition quickly. I'm off tomorrow so I want to try and play all day.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Ah I see, that is a good reason. I understand why you guys choose to do it like that.

Thank you for clarifying.

Yep - the last thing we want is to launch a game and run into connectivity or hardware issues while Valve is still asleep :-) Too big a risk to take for a game like Monster Hunter.

Anyhoo, see you all in 11-ish hours!

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Connectivity to Steam's matchmaking server is paramount for a game like Monster Hunter, so we chose to launch during Valve's core office hours in case something goes awry that requires Valve's attention.

I see! I guess for some reason I didn't consider that Rise would be using Steam's Matchmaking service!

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
I see! I guess for some reason I didn't consider that Rise would be using Steam's Matchmaking service!

Yep!

Of course, we have our own set of servers for non-PII telemetry tracking if you opt-in to data sharing. This helps us understand how customers engage with our games (i.e., what weapons are popular, what hunter rank people get stuck at or drop off, etc.). All this data helps us improve the game itself, content release cadence, and more.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Bummed by the global unlock time since it's in the evening for me, but I suppose I've gotten used to it by now. So many Steam games use it nowadays. Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze in a hunt or two tonight before bed.

TeacherDenz

Jul 7, 2020
Well of to work, when I'm back it's hunting time friends! :D If anyone wants to play multiplayer I'm all up for it

IronWarrior94

Jun 1, 2018
It's really nice to see the PC release has rekindled interest in Rise to such a noticeable extent, based on what I've seen on the internet atleast.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Yay, CDKeys had my keys available already, so I'm good to go.

Can't wait to start up the game and have that anxiety of choosing the weapon to start playing with this time.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England

I suppose there's diminishing return in terms of time saved from pre-loading vs. time required to decrypt the pre-load bits below a certain package size. In some cases, downloading and installing games from straight-up unencrypted data may be faster. Still sucks for folks who are on slow internet connections, but it is what it is.
Thanks for dropping in to answer all of those questions! I had no idea about the preload size requirement either. Sadly I'm on a rural broadband line in the UK so won't be playing until Thursday, but I'll blame my government for that rather than Steam or Capcom =P

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
Your posts on this thread have been informative and taught me a lot. Thank you.

as a side note, add my note to the pile of evidence that people want cross save in future monster hunter games across all platforms. ❤️

thanks for all you do and happy hunting! Fingers crossed for smooth launch.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
Connectivity to Steam's matchmaking server
I'm hoping they've fixed the bugs dealing with online that was perhaps introduced with Iceborne or had possibly always been there with World PC. Connectivity with what I'm assuming my ISP, Cox, to others' EU or East coast US would cause my connection to Steam's online to crash completely and kill entire lobbies. Kicking me offline in Steam and unable to access any of Steam's online features until I did a restart. Made me never grind out any of the "raid" type content because it required multiplayer.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Yep - the last thing we want is to launch a game and run into connectivity or hardware issues while Valve is still asleep :-) Too big a risk to take for a game like Monster Hunter.

Anyhoo, see you all in 11-ish hours!
Do you guys have a access to a Steam Deck dev kit over there in the US branch? I'm wondering how this game is running on the unit.

Nale

Jul 17, 2021
Yep!

Of course, we have our own set of servers for non-PII telemetry tracking if you opt-in to data sharing. This helps us understand how customers engage with our games (i.e., what weapons are popular, what hunter rank people get stuck at or drop off, etc.). All this data helps us improve the game itself, content release cadence, and more.
The ultrawide aspect ratio is currently broken in the demo, there are slight black borders at the left and right edges of the screen. Is this fixed in the full release, and if not, is this something Capcom is even aware of?

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Will this work on 12th gen intel CPUs? I upgraded from an 8700k and Persona 5 strikers which used Denuvo broke and I can no longer play that game anymore.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will this work on 12th gen intel CPUs? I upgraded from an 8700k and Persona 5 strikers which used Denuvo broke and I can no longer play that game anymore.
According to Intel a few days ago it shouldn't affect any games anymore. Either the games got patched or Windows updates fixed them.

OP
OP
Kanhir

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for the heads up about Steam's threshold and the reasoning for the global timing!

It's always so nice when a publisher is upfront about these kinds of things, because it avoids so much speculation and bitching.

I've added a countdown to the OP to hopefully avoid the release timing being lost on a page change.

Yep!

I'm not sure how much control you have over this, but are there any plans to share this info in future, especially weapon/buddy usage stats?

I remember that the weapon usage stats were in World via the First Wyverian (which was tedious but workable), but AFAIK there hasn't been anything like this for Rise yet apart from the demo.

Last edited:

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Is sword and shield in this? I loved using it in world.
Not only is it there, it's also more fun than World's is. You get a silkbind move that is a counter and is almost guaranteed KO with high damage if you time it right, AND, shield attacks in Rise are strong enough that you can viably pick between regular sword combos, vs only slightly weaker blunt damage shield combos with good stun and never lose durability, but no element/status

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Really, Really wish we could pre-load this.

We wanna play this with the group the moment it goes live, not everyone in my group has the internet to download 23 GB in 10 minutes.

Kentsui

Oct 26, 2017
Is this any more accessible than world? I'm looking to try jumping in.
Hard to answer without you elaborating, they're pretty similar in terms of gameplay and systems involved, the new mobility options make the gameplay a bit more 'twitchy' maybe.
The structure of the game is more straightforward than world though, a little bit less filler in terms of exploration and looking for monsters.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
My new Xbox controller arrived just in time!
The only, ancient Xbox 360 controller barely survived my time with MH World and Iceborne.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Can't jump into this rn but looking forward to playing it soon-ish.

Might switch away from Gunlance this game.