• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fistwell

Oct 26, 2017
On the one hand, sick of infinitely recycled monsters, sets, weapons. On the other hand, devil slicer...........

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Working my way into it bit by bit. The opening cutscene/discussion with the town elder was... very weird. Did it change a lot in localization or something? Because that moment where he just starts cackling for no visible reason read really damn oddly to me.

Last edited:

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Idk if I could even go back to world after this .

Just how fast to get to things alone is a game changer
Yeah, for all the audio-visual bells and whistles World certainly offers, the gameplay additions here in Rise are just on another level.
Going back to World on PC from the Rise demo already has been a tough pill to swallow. Ain't getting any easier.

Janus

Oct 18, 2020
What a good looking Switch game! Pretty amazing what the dev team was able to achieve on this chip.

Gameplay-wise I love how much faster the game got thanks to the wirebug and palamute. Never liked the tracking of monstern in MHW, in this iteration you can get to the fights much more quickly.

Load times are fast too, which helps the feeling to do just one more quest.

Kamura village feels very homey and at the same time everything is placed very conveniently around to avoid wasting time.

The game is a bit on the easier side so far (played until early HR), but that's fine for me.

Oct 26, 2017
Lagombi never had snowballs this big outside the baron did he?

Im not sure if enemies in low rank just died too fast to see anything, but a few monsters seem to have new moves in HR - like the
Izuchi was jumping on and off walls, could he do that in LR?

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What's up with palico/palamute recruiting? Should you just get as many as you need for the trader and the meowster hunters? Is there skill passing and training like in GU?

I assume there won't be any playable palicos in future updates so I shouldn't be sweating over this. Palamutes seem even more straightforward too. But then again I'm not sure.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Spent two hours last night getting my ass kicked in the first quest before realizing that wasn't the first quest, and I needed to talk the the girl outside for the beginner quests.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Damn, I was expected the game to arrive this Tuesday but it came early this morning instead.

Not like I have any time to play it, that is. Fuck work :(

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What does the yellow text thingy mean next to a quest? Specifically the one next to the Supply Run quest?

Means it is a request made by one of the people in the village. If you do them you'll get some sort of benefit based on who wanted it done.

The Supply Run specifically opens up more canteen options.

ace3skoot

Dec 3, 2018
So much fun. I'm upto 3* urgent, everything looks and sounds great, such a streamlined experience.
My one criticism is the game feels very easy so far, I haven't really come close to dieing but this is low rank and I'm a vet so I guess challenging early game may never happen again which is a little sad.
Despite that once wire bug movement clicked I was having a blast.

Blado

Oct 25, 2017
Working my way into it bit by bit. The opening cutscene/discussion with the town elder was... very weird. Did it change a lot in localization or something? Because that moment where he just starts cackling for no visible reason read really damn oddly to me.

It's equally weird with Japanese voice acting lol

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
So far after 8-10 hours,

things I like better than World:
-Instant fast travel between hub spots is a straight up godsend for between mission stuff. I still have nightmares pf running to the lift platform just to get to the blacksmith.
-Wirebug/Silkstuff is great. Especially loving it for non-combat map traversal exploring these places with wall runs.
-new moves & skill switch is good stuff

things that feel a step back from World:
-Multiplayer implementation is ok, better than pre-world with the join in-progress matchmaking, but way less versatile. You can't see whose in the mission or their weapons and ranks and pick and choose missions.
-I feel like going back to the village / hub separation feels a step back. I don't enjoy MH much solo, and I'm just doing the guild hall ranks in MP and having a blast but I'm dreading the backlog of village stuff I'll probably need to do at some point to unlock things. Also I've been missing all the monster intro / location intro cutscenes since I just join in-progress MP quests to progress. Just feels weird progression. I liked how in World it was just one progression and after the monster intro cutscene you just toss up a flare and then it's MP.

stuff I'm feeling mixed on:
-doggo seems pretty useless other than a fast dash. It also feels like it can make 4p too visually busy when everyone and their doggo is ganging up on the monster and you can't see what's going on.
-maps in World were too big and slow. maps in Rise even with traversal options still feel too big and slow at times.
-I wish MH in general would just ditch the non-monster fight grind. Whether it's the starting small animals/gathering quests or needing that one gathering/small animal mat in your upgrade tree, it's just time filler to pad game length. These games would be better if all you had to do was fight large monsters imo
You con just concentrate on hub or village and then take one of those Special Licensed Test quest to skip a bunch of content from either.

Regarding ditching gathering quests, I actually kind of enjoy them here. They go by fast and they actually help with learning map layout, and endemic life placement. They are a nice change of pace.

I agree that doggos make MP a bit chaotic but you can turn on the option for less visual effects during fights to eliminate visual noise. I dont know about doggs being useless, doesnt get old to see Doggo mount the monsters and then sometimes knock them down

I do wish for next game or even this game expansion the palamutes get a bit more fleshed out in terms of combat abilities.

Last edited:

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
I honestly can't see myself playing a future MH game that lacks wire bugs or something similar, the exploration of maps is extremely fun and the way they are beneficial to the fighting itself is as stunning as mounting and aerial combat was in MH4

Edit the ost is majestic too, love the frosty Islands theme

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The lip synching reminds me of old dubbed Martial arts films.

its really strange with these graphics.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
I'm running a launch day switch, and the battery life is really abysmal on this game. I can only play about 1h45 min before it gets really low. Is this other people's experience? Should I grab an external battery or something?

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Played all MH games except the ones on PSP and never enjoyed one as much as this one. Having a blast.
The movement, combat, music and areas... Everything is really great so far. Game is a bit easy though but hopefully it gets harder when I play higher ranks online. I just unlocked 4* quests.
Using the long sword which I used a bit in Generations on Switch as well and wow it sure is fun once you get the hang of it.

When should I start going for certain sets though and what are some good Long Swords and sets to aim for? Not sure if info like that is already out there since it just released.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
I'm running a launch day switch, and the battery life is really abysmal on this game. I can only play about 1h45 min before it gets really low. Is this other people's experience? Should I grab an external battery or something?
With offline mode and 40% brightness, it took 2h 40min to drain the battery to 10%. Mine is a launch model as well of course.
1h 45 min is quite low tho

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Played all MH games except the ones on PSP and never enjoyed one as much as this one. Having a blast.
The movement, combat, music and areas... Everything is really great so far. Game is a bit easy though but hopefully it gets harder when I play higher ranks online. I just unlocked 4* quests.
Using the long sword which I used a bit in Generations on Switch as well and wow it sure is fun once you get the hang of it.

When should I start going for certain sets though and what are some good Long Swords and sets to aim for? Not sure if info like that is already out there since it just released.
For weapons generally go for whatever has the best raw and sharpness without negative affinity.

Right now for armor skills you should look for critical eye, critical boost, and weakness exploit. Attack boost is also a good filler skill for any level 2 and 3 slots your gear has. As the game is out longer and people experiment more, more specialized builds will start to be discovered.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Affinity is basically a confusing way to say critical chance right?
Yeah. And negative affinity is a chance you get negative criticals (your attack does less damage than normal).

With a maxed out critical eye and weakness exploit you have a 90% chance at getting a crit when attacking a monster's weak point, 100% if your weapon has 10 affinity. Add in critical boost which increases the bonus damage your critical hits do to 40% and you'll be dishing out massive damage.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Great Izuchi is a pretty solid starter armour set for beginners, with critical eye and constitution (reduces stamina drain). Nothing special but higher damage and reduced stamina loss are something you'll always find a use for.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
So fought apex rathian at the end of a rampage....so you're telling me apex stands for recycled content in this game?
Prolly referring to the fact that they're basically just reskinned deviants. Apex Rathian is Dreadqueen, Arzuros is Redhelm, etc.
So basically every returning monster is recycled content as a bad thing. Got it. I mean I guess they could have done 30 completely new monsters or something.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Great Izuchi is a pretty solid starter armour set for beginners, with critical eye and constitution (reduces stamina drain). Nothing special but higher damage and reduced stamina loss are something you'll always find a use for.
Yep. Though I would recommend people replace the legs with the Kulu Ya-Ku legs for even more crit eye.

So basically every returning monster is recycled content as a bad thing. Got it. I mean I guess they could have done 30 completely new monsters or something.
Yes, recycling the endgame from a previous game (and making it worse by tying it to the rampages) is a bad thing.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
For weapons generally go for whatever has the best raw and sharpness without negative affinity.

Right now for armor skills you should look for critical eye, critical boost, and weakness exploit. Attack boost is also a good filler skill for any level 2 and 3 slots your gear has. As the game is out longer and people experiment more, more specialized builds will start to be discovered.
Thanks. Even though I've played quite a few of these games I never enjoyed them enough to care about this lol. But yeah Rise is so great I figured it was time to invest in MH for the first time ever.