• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Some random thoughts after quite some time with the demo:

- I really like how wirebugs replaced the slinger/clutch claw and all that tenderizing nonsense. Now it's all about more utility and combat options instead.
- I play exclusively docked, and the framepacing is all over the place, it's the biggest thing that is hindering my enjoyment at the moment. Also doesn't help to come from 60+ FPS World straight into this. This is a problem that will get fixed by double dipping: the way that my weak body works with MH games.
- I feel like I'm struggling a bit with controls now with the added wirebugs, but after many hunts, they are slowly becoming easier to use.
- I absolutely love the classic-style effects on weapon charges etc... way more clear than the subtle World ones.
- Climbing and vertical traveling wasn't so "easy" as I initially thought. I feel like it needs quite a bit of time to feel second nature.

Just from the top of my head. All in all I'm very optimistic about the full game based on this demo.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely feel as if all of these issues can be resolved by just getting used to the mechanics of the actual game when it releases. Your argument essentially boils down to "I don't immediately know how to effectively play the game, therefore it's bad". Also the combat doesn't feel floaty at all, idk where you're getting that from.

And we still don't know if monsters will always be visible on the map in the main game.

By playing the game?

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Yes, me, a fan of the series since it's early days who pre-ordered MH Rise amiibo edition the first chance I could because I was so excited for it... Clearly has been hating the game forever now. Cool.

I don't like that they removed traditional mounting, which I felt rewarded players for using their environment to gain the high ground. Now with Wirebugs they removed that whole function in favor of the Wyvern Riding because you can't have the traditional mounting if you're flying everywhere.

Combat lacks of the impact of World, feels a lot floater and less responsive.

Focus on Endemic Life that makes annoyances of traditionally non-problematic stuff like Max potions, making that function (assuming food doesn't just completely make this whole mechanic moot), more complicated for no reason. I can only imagine what other traditionally easy stuff to do will be needlessly complicated because of this.

Graphics, the game looks fucking awful on my TV. Rather than going for an art style that would work best on the Switch they tried to go for World Lite and it just doesn't look good, the game has aliasing and shimmering everywhere. If I play in handheld it becomes blurrier, which I guess is better, but I don't and shouldn't need to play in handheld to not be painful to look at.

The Wirebugs stuff just doesn't flow well for me at all and stuff like being able to use it to get away from monsters just falls into the same problem that mantles did which essentially let you get a free: "Get out of jail free card". But no doubt some monster mechanics will be made with the wirebug in mind and thus you'll be forced to engage with it or else purposefully gimp yourself.

I don't like that the game just tells you where all monsters are at all time. No longer does this allow for crazy situations where a monster shows up that you were unaware of because you'll always know.

They also changed the button combos for some of SnS stuff, they still exist in the game but no longer feel intuitive and the weapon just feels a lot less fun now.

That's the short of it.
I can understand some of your frustrations however, at the very least, a PC version will come and cover your graphic concerns.

On the other hand, the gameplay, the flashiness and the impacts in combat, it's all consistent from the portable team, they are deliberate desgins. If there is one thing I prefer from the other MH team, its the impact you get from combat.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Man, I'm so bad at foresight slash lol. I'm finally getting used to using Iai slash after using spirit slash to continue my combos. But ever since trying to focus foresight slash, I'm getting killed by Mizu lol.
Those definitely are LS skills you gotta get used to, yeah. A bit of training will help with that. Even as someone used to them since Iceborne, I had to adjust again with Rise and honestly haven't completely gotten the hang of them again.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
The telling where the monsters are all the time could just be as a result of it being a demo? We will see in the full release..

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
The fact someone datamined the demo and found out the silkbind attacks can be customized and lot of the cool flashy attacks from GU will be in the game is amazing. It's been posted on Reddit.

It got me real hyped.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm enjoying how different LBG feels from the melee weapons, but I totally forgot you've got a lot of ammo to mess around with it. Not usually a huge fan of such a big focus on limited resources. Are LBG builds that emphasize pure killing power with the normal (infinite) ammo possible?

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying how different LBG feels from the melee weapons, but I totally forgot you've got a lot of ammo to mess around with it. Not usually a huge fan of such a big focus on limited resources. Are LBG builds that emphasize pure killing power with the normal (infinite) ammo possible?
No, you generally just bring enough resources to quickly craft more ammo on the fly. You can even put the ability to craft the max of an item on your quickbar.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Yes, me, a fan of the series since it's early days who pre-ordered MH Rise amiibo edition the first chance I could because I was so excited for it... Clearly has been hating the game forever now. Cool.

I don't like that they removed traditional mounting, which I felt rewarded players for using their environment to gain the high ground. Now with Wirebugs they removed that whole function in favor of the Wyvern Riding because you can't have the traditional mounting if you're flying everywhere.

Combat lacks of the impact of World, feels a lot floater and less responsive.

Focus on Endemic Life that makes annoyances of traditionally non-problematic stuff like Max potions, making that function (assuming food doesn't just completely make this whole mechanic moot), more complicated for no reason. I can only imagine what other traditionally easy stuff to do will be needlessly complicated because of this.

Graphics, the game looks fucking awful on my TV. Rather than going for an art style that would work best on the Switch they tried to go for World Lite and it just doesn't look good, the game has aliasing and shimmering everywhere. If I play in handheld it becomes blurrier, which I guess is better, but I don't and shouldn't need to play in handheld to not be painful to look at.

The Wirebugs stuff just doesn't flow well for me at all and stuff like being able to use it to get away from monsters just falls into the same problem that mantles did which essentially let you get a free: "Get out of jail free card". But no doubt some monster mechanics will be made with the wirebug in mind and thus you'll be forced to engage with it or else purposefully gimp yourself.

I don't like that the game just tells you where all monsters are at all time. No longer does this allow for crazy situations where a monster shows up that you were unaware of because you'll always know.

They also changed the button combos for some of SnS stuff, they still exist in the game but no longer feel intuitive and the weapon just feels a lot less fun now.

That's the short of it.

Glad you felt compelled enough to spell out your grievances better, can't say I agree with them much but it helps me empathize with your issue.

I'll agree that the switch from environmental mounting to wirebug mounting does take away from the depth in World where the zone you're in plays a major role on the fight, but I think that's easily attributed to the distinctive feel of Monster Hunter they're aiming for with Rise. In fact I'd argue that the wirebug's sole purpose is to make up for the condensed environment, which is not only a result of weaker hardware but also a point of focus for the smaller scale "arena" style of Monster Hunter.

World 2 will likely expand on environmental triggers whereas Rise emphasizes the classic arena battles feel with fresh QoL that World introduced. Better traversal options, detailed/remastered skeletons, faster pace, etc. are all positives World changes that we're seeing make it here.

Fully disagreed on the combat, it doesn't feel any better/worse than World to me and I love how World felt.

Lastly I'll touch on endemic life as I can't relate to your SnS woes or the graphics which I think genuinely impress.

I actually thoroughly love how Endemic life are functionally overworld buffs, it adds to the arcade style of MH they're going for here while still making exploration worth it. I'm especially interested in seeing how it'll stack with food buffs and overall it feels like a positive shake up. Endemic life prior was just kinda pointless other than catching critters and decorating your room (which I do still hope you can do).

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
Ok it took me a bit of getting used to, but having killed Mizutsune a third time I'm *really* liking the wirebug now, and I kinda feel like it's gonna end up being another "I can't go back to games that don't have this in" mechanic for me. Zipping around with ZL+A to quickly close a gap between me and the monster, then immediately doing an attack out of it is just *so* satisfying to do, and being able to ZL+B out of knockback if you have a wirebug charge is very welcome.

Having all this speed and mobility at your fingertips pretty much all the time makes it play substantially differently from world even if it still has a lot of world's DNA in it, and I really like the knock-on effect it's had in making all the areas wider and larger in general - the worst bits of world were where you ended up fighting a huge monster in a cramped room or a narrow, sloping hallway, and the camera just didn't know what to do. Really glad that seems to have gone in this entry.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think it was the case in the old demos.

Also I didn't know people found searching for the Monster cool. Usually everyone runs the fastest possible to it right at the begining of a quest.
To be honest even in the older games, in early hunts I've usually got the psychic skill somehow, and in later hunts I just packed psychoserum. In multiplayer everyone makes a beeline for the target as they want to complete the quest as fast as possible, get the resources and then play again. But in SP I just like knowing where it is to plot a route, as I might want to do some mining etc on the way while taking neither the slowest or fastest possible route. The only exception is usually when I'm right at the edge of what I can handle alone and am fighting the clock to bring it down in time.

codemnk

Oct 30, 2017
When I played World's demo it felt like a revelation, the next step in the franchise. I was incredibly ecstatic to play the full game. I play Rise, see all the bad ways it takes the franchise, yet know it's going to sell well, and now fear that the franchise is going to become something else.
That's funny, because clutch claw, tenderizing, the awful mantles and scout flies made me feel the same way, only about World. Constant yeeting and tenderizing broke up the fight's flow way too much for me. Although in the end I still loved the game.
I already prefer the overall hunting game play in Rise just by those omissions, although jury's still out for me when it comes to Silkbind attacks and how frequently you can use them. Some are a bit silly honestly.

Don't mean to dogpile, just kind of wanted to put my thoughts down when it comes to World vs. Rise.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
[
Do we know if we might hear about World 2 in 2022 and then a release in 2023?

Really hope it ignores Rise, don't want to see Wirebugs, Wvyern Mounting, or any other gameplay changes from it. Maybe the dogs can stay tho.

They're usually exchanging the baton every 2 years, Rise was in development around the time World was announced and Iceborn's content stopped when Rise was announced, we'll get more DLC down the line or G-Rank or what ever its called here and around 202/3 we'll get someting about World 2 and it will probably have a bunch of things from Rise.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I definitely prefer about wyvern riding compared to the old mounting is that old mounting was generally a boring, long pain in the ass. With riding I think I can just launch them into the wall once or twice and be done if I'd like. And of course, I think it's fun to attack other large monsters with one, and it adds another element to turf wars, which was one of the few things I really liked about World. I also don't think high ground is particularly deemphasized this time around either, you just use it more for its positional advantages as opposed to using it to give you a chance to mount.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if two hunters in a mission together will be able to Kaiju battle monsters with one another?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

Really hope it ignores Rise, don't want to see Wirebugs, Wvyern Mounting, or any other gameplay changes from it. Maybe the dogs can stay tho.
To be fair there was also a ton of stuff from MHW that loads of players didn't like either that didn't make it into Rise, so I don't think anything's a lock from game to game. Same for Hunter arts and styles from the previous MH4/Gens, and underwater from MHTri before that. General QOL stuff that makes it easier for new players (like access to all your resources from your tent, and infinite whetstones, BBQ, fishing, mining) will tend to stick, but all the flagship, most obvious flashy stuff is far more tailored from game to game to work with the environments they are making etc.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Have they completely got rid of all the monster tracking and scout flies then?
Seems so. Scout flies were a great evolution of the hunting concept and made it actually feel like you were tracking down and hunting your prey.

Guess fuck that.
Guess its not much of a monster hunt anymore.
Seems they want it to be more of a just fight the guy thing.
Nah there's tracking in the game, they just always simplify this stuff for the demo e.g the quest arrow.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Thanks to Aqua for mentioning, I have read the datamines and it looks like Rise will bring almost every Hunter Art and moves from all Hunter Styles from GU.

Furthermore, you can only customise one silk bind skill and one silk bind skill is permanent on each weapon. In addition, you can actually customise 2 whole moves for each weapon.

In other words, you can customise the following:

2 attack moves
1 silkbind skill

Another note for HH users: you can choose Rise HH movesets or traditional HH.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
This datamine changes everything lmao. Good lord I'm insanely hyped now.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to Aqua for mentioning, I have read the datamines and it looks like Rise will bring almost every Hunter Art and moves from all Hunter Styles from GU.

Furthermore, you can only customise one silk bind skill and one silk bind skill is permanent on each weapon. In addition, you can actually customise 2 whole moves for each weapon.

2 attack moves
1 silkbind skill

The customization options are gonna be incredibly satisfying

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I've played so many MH demos on many platforms, and I even tried World since it's on gamepass. This series is really not for me for the usual clueless MH outsider reasons, spoilered so I don't make your eyes roll too much :P

- I don't love killing animals
- Fights are very long
- No lifebars
- Combat and movement feel a bit clunky

Not really a problem with the series, just that it's not really my thing. But that's never stopped me from trying MH demos, so here are my impressions:

- This is a fantastic looking Switch game, seriously impressive
- What little music I've heard was pretty good
- Really cool characters and beasts
- I actually like the wire bug thing! It makes movement more enjoyable

This game is pretty expensive here in Japan so I can't say I'm in day one, but I certainly don't hate this demo and I might bite during a sale. I guess it'd be an easier buy if my friends also played MH.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
It's not surprising that Ichinose is bringing back those flashy moves in GU to Rise.

They were incredibly satisfying considering I just recently played GU.
Ichinose is the freaking best, ahaha. I'm completely with him on how flashy and zany these games should be (if you want them to!).
Love how many options you get.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wirebugs are one of those features that's gonna make previous MonHuns so hard to go back to. I hope future games make it a staple.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I love mobility in action games so I'm definitely a fan of wirebugs too.

Did a couple of hunts with the LBG but I'm not sure if it's for me. Just kinda.. Boring, at least after LS and HH. Maybe I'll just make the HH my one and only real main.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Nah there's tracking in the game, they just always simplify this stuff for the demo e.g the quest arrow.

I can only hope. But the quest arrow I'm pretty sure is in the game normally since you can toggle it on and off.

To be fair there was also a ton of stuff from MHW that loads of players didn't like either that didn't make it into Rise, so I don't think anything's a lock from game to game. Same for Hunter arts and styles from the previous MH4/Gens, and underwater from MHTri before that. General QOL stuff that makes it easier for new players (like access to all your resources from your tent, and infinite whetstones, BBQ, fishing, mining) will tend to stick, but all the flagship, most obvious flashy stuff is far more tailored from game to game to work with the environments they are making etc.

I can only hope that the QoL stuff is the only things that carry over to World 2.

MH is one of my favorite franchises ever. There have been games I've enjoyed that have tried to capture similar things to MH but in the end none of them have been Monster Hunter. When I didn't have a 3DS I imported, along with my friends MHPortable 3rd, they got the PSP ver and I got the PS3 ver. Then when I eventually got a 3DS I got 3 Ultimate, 4 Ultimate, and then imported Generations Ultimate, then bought World and then even re-bought GU despite my annoyance (due to not having cross-region play thus requiring me to rebuy it to play with friends) when it was released in English

After Iceborne I've been dying for more monster hunter and now I worry I'm being forced out of the franchise because potentially Rise will move it in a direction that I'm not a fan of and I have to wait potentially 3 - 4 years to find out if that happens.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

I think in the leaked documents the game with codename MH6 is targeted for 2023. Would make sense with Rise releasing in 2021 and a G version in 2022.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I can only hope. But the quest arrow I'm pretty sure is in the game normally since you can toggle it on and off.

I can only hope that the QoL stuff is the only things that carry over to World 2.

MH is one of my favorite franchises ever. There have been games I've enjoyed that have tried to capture similar things to MH but in the end none of them have been Monster Hunter. When I didn't have a 3DS I imported, along with my friends MHPortable 3rd, they got the PSP ver and I got the PS3 ver. Then when I eventually got a 3DS I got 3 Ultimate, 4 Ultimate, and then imported Generations Ultimate, then bought World and then even re-bought GU despite my annoyance (due to not having cross-region play thus requiring me to rebuy it to play with friends) when it was released in English

After Iceborne I've been dying for more monster hunter and now I worry I'm being forced out of the franchise because potentially Rise will move it in a direction that I'm not a fan of and I have to wait potentially 3 - 4 years to find out if that happens.
This is what a lot of portable players like me were concerned about with World 3 years ago with the loss of traditional multiplayer, and ultimately there wasn't anything to worry about. MHW is Capcom's biggest selling title ever. The MHW team is working on the sequel now, and what they don't want to do is abandon players that loved World. What Rise is for is for the portable players, and the wirebug and palamutes etc is developed specifically to work with the hunting zone sizes and verticality they've created to make a fun MH game rooted in the Switch's graphical limitations but also in portable players tending to want shorter hunts and traditional multiplayer. It's a way more arcadey philosophy than MHW, that's the way the split is developing, I think. MHW2 is more likely to focus on expanding from MHW as a baseline and focus on incredible visuals and vistas instead, I don't think they'll include any of the immediacy and traversal stuff from MHR unless it works with what they've got planned. Can't wait to see that even if I don't get to play it, I bet it'll look epic.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need that gif of gunlance blasting off in the recent trailer
this part?
ezgif-3-4fc09910f4109dksh.gif

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Fingers crossed for the data mine about multiple wirebug skills to choose from

2 attack moves
1 silkbind skill

Wow, that's going to be great. Customising your own move set and dropping some you rarely use, that's interesting

Looks like the other silkbite option for Lance, instead of the absorb/increase attack power one in the demo, is a wirebug version of Spiral Thrust, which was a Hunter art I used a lot in the last game. It's now a counter that blocks and then uses the wirebug to charge forward with multiple hits.

Can't wait for this, so many options.

Last edited:

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
After playing many times trough the demo, I can safely assure I will stay a GS main.
But I'm also going to play a little with the switch axe.
In the sword mode I managed to stag on top of rathains head with the x+a combo, but only managed to do it once.
How do I have to do it?

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, now I kicked Mizu's butt with HBG. Just like LBG I thought it was really damn fun, but I think I might like HBG even more. I barely used any potions (compared to my LBG hunt where I had to go craft another set lmao) thanks to the invuln+counter silkbind, which was super hype. It may be a gunner's life for me this game. Thank god for gyro aiming.