• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
Besides having no hype whatsoever for their new tools what really disappoints me is Kinsects being nothing more than for extract duty, I know Clouds and Valor targeting are recent but it gave some importance to the other half of the weapon, so not only Rise gave nothing for IG and instead lost more in the change.
So they got rid of the descending trust attack that marks and the monster making the kinsect pierce it?

Last edited:

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I tried the demo earlier. I completely forgot how the charge blade works, and that was my main in World lmao

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
Lbg is so good , I've rarely touched bowguns in monster hunter but I might main this

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Am I getting old and going blind, or is the menu absolutely tiny in docked mode?

I just upgraded my office's 40" 4K tv with a new 55" GX OLED a few months ago - but this is the first time I'm playing the Switch on it, and I'm squinting something FIERCE just ~7' away.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I like the Gunlance jump attack that uses 2 bug charges, but what is the one that uses 1 charge supposed to be? A counter?

Also Gunlance seems pretty identical to World from what I remember.

Last edited:

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
My experience with Gunlance in this demo is so up and down, hah. Reminds me a bit of how it felt to use it back in 3U, it's weird how it feels very distinct from the other blademaster weapons, which is expected, but feels just as different to normal Lance. GL now feels like it's far and away the least mobile weapon in the game, at least going by the current skills in the demo. There's almost no way to cover ground without just sheathing, but I'm starting to do better with it once I realize that more. I still feel a little wary of considering it for the main rotation this time around though because the combination of moveset and shelling options always leaves me feeling kind of unsure about what exactly I'm supposed to be targeting for damage at any given time. The demo gunlance has six shells so it seems to be a normal type, meaning it's most effective when using the post-slam burst-fire...but does that really mean I should be focusing on doing that as much as I can? Should I still be putting most of my stock into lance-thrusts and save the shelling bursts for particular opportunities? Since it's a normal shell type, is it even worth it to go for wyrmstake cannon attacks or any non-burst shelling attacks? So much of the kit feels like it goes unused.

In a way I feel similarly about HBG now with the shot-charging. The bonus damage for fully charging shots definitely make it way more shot-efficient, but in terms of damage over time I'm not sure if it is or isn't worth it to focus on charging shots or just getting several shots in when there's an opportunity instead. It leaves me unsure if I do or don't like the charging as a mechanic, there's a lot of fear of extremely unoptimized play.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Just got into light bowgun also, and yeah, think that will be the range weapon to focus on next after checking out bow in World.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe the dog can Mario Kart drift boost. Getting to the monster in multiplayer is basically a kart racer lol

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Extra move and more silkbind from demo datamining
www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/
Ah, so that's how the "weapon combo swap" feature will function. Interesting, a lot of these look like they'll completely transform how the weapon plays (Hunting Horn in particular seems to have "new" mode and "classic" mode almost). Also explains the missing moves, both silkbind and normal, that we can see in trailers but aren't in the demo

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I like the Gunlance jump attack that uses 2 bug charges, but what is the one that uses 1 charge supposed to be? A counter?

Also Gunlance seems pretty identical to World from what I remember.
Yes, which is pretty useful given how GL, unlike lance and CB, has no mid-combo block move. It restores sharpness as well. Check the hunter's notes for explanations of all the wirebug moves.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
What's the Wirebug + A move do on the Greatsword? The sword flashes but idk what to press afterwards.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just went online for the first time and the experience was absolutely perfect with three ransoms.
We did the intermediate mission and took down all three monsters within the time limit.

so much fun. The full game can't come out soon enough.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Man... I'm just still so sad how down I am on this. Played nearly every MH game since Freedom Unite (only missing Tri, even imported Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD).

Tried the demo again with my long time MH coop buddy and he too just couldn't get into it.

I think the dog stuff is cool, but that's about where my positivity begins and ends. I guess the music might be good, but because I'm not in voice chat on my Switch it's hard to actually hear.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I completed MHW on PS4 Pro but would like to play Iceborne on my new PC. Does it make it easy to jump straight into the DLC content?
It's as easy as talking to one npc right next to where you load into Astera after killing
Xeno'Jiva
in the HR story.

edit - oh, misread and didn't realize you were starting from scratch. Yea, just forge the guardian set and breeze through the story again.

Harmony

Dec 1, 2019
Japan
I completed MHW on PS4 Pro but would like to play Iceborne on my new PC. Does it make it easy to jump straight into the DLC content?
You still need to finish the story of the base game to start Iceborne. There's the guardian armor set to help players speed through the base game, but I'd stay you're still looking at a minimum 30 hours.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Playing through the base game again with the Guardian Armor Set is as easy as playing through a MH single player campaign can get, I'd say. You'll still need to spend quite a while with finishing it.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
This might be the play if you don't wanna get burnt out on monster hunter before Rise. Soloing Iceborne might even be too much, if you aren't up to fine-tuning your armor and weapons and carefully learning every monster. Soloing Iceborne is no joke.

Yeah cuz I'm ngl, putting 30-40 hours into the vanilla game again and then playing iceborne which is supposed to be a lot more difficult would burn me the fuck out.

I'm just gonna wait on Rise and maybe do this later this year cuz I never played iceborne.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah cuz I'm ngl, putting 30-40 hours into the vanilla game again and then playing iceborne which is supposed to be a lot more difficult would burn me the fuck out.

I'm just gonna wait on Rise and maybe do this later this year cuz I never played iceborne.
Legit probably the right choice. You might even get the game at a discount later this year anyway! Iceborne deserves to be enjoyed. There's so much content and endgame and it's all worth your time.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I tried the demo earlier. I completely forgot how the charge blade works, and that was my main in World lmao
Same!
I put over 100 hours into MHW, almost all charge blade, now I have no idea what I'm doing. It was hard to read what my character attacks were even doing, probably due to the armour set.

Could not even figure out how to lock on to the main monster either, I'm so confused about how anything works now. Has it been that long?

This demo kinda reduced my hype, but the World early demo did the same, so maybe I'll love this too.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Same!
I put over 100 hours into MHW, almost all charge blade, now I have no idea what I'm doing. It was hard to read what my character attacks were even doing, probably due to the armour set.

Could not even figure out how to lock on to the main monster either, I'm so confused about how anything works now. Has it been that long?

This demo kinda reduced my hype, but the World early demo did the same, so maybe I'll love this too.
Triple same. Mizutsune wrecked my shit during the 35 minutes it took me to kill her. I was never good with the charge blade to begin with though, haha.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Alright. Gave hunting horn a try and it's so fucking ridiculous that I think I found my main. I hope it's not considerably more complex in the full game, cause I love this.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if we might hear about World 2 in 2022 and then a release in 2023?

Really hope it ignores Rise, don't want to see Wirebugs, Wvyern Mounting, or any other gameplay changes from it. Maybe the dogs can stay tho.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if we might hear about World 2 in 2022 and then a release in 2023?

Really hope it ignores Rise, don't want to see Wirebugs, Wvyern Mounting, or any other gameplay changes from it. Maybe the dogs can stay tho.
World 2 is for sure in the works. Who knows when we'll learn about it though.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beat both monsters... Great to have the wire bugs. Hope we will have more than just two (or temporary three).

Its great to struggle again to beat a boss lol.