• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
For a lot of weapons I'd say one of the big things to do as a new player is to push the limit of what you think you can dodge. You can never learn what you're comfortable dodging without pushing yourself right to the edge. Expect to get hit a lot but you'll get more and more used to evading.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
For any first timers I think the main thing I'd say is, dodge early and deliberately. I know this series gets a lot of (very undue imo) comparisons to souls but this isn't really a game where you just flip though attacks. The rolls have very little iframes, but the monster attacks don't track the player super aggressively either. So just sheathe a lot and observe. Doding is much more about just getting out of the monster's way rather than rolling at the right moment

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
olGrw9P.jpg

Anyone else been looking for fun vantage points? Not sure if it's the highest point, could be. I'm loving exploration in this game.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
For any first timers I think the main thing I'd say is, dodge early and deliberately. I know this series gets a lot of (very undue imo) comparisons to souls but this isn't really a game where you just flip though attacks. The rolls have very little iframes, but the monster attacks don't track the player super aggressively either. So just sheathe a lot and observe. Doding is much more about just getting out of the monster's way rather than rolling at the right moment

Speaking of this is a very good video to learn about the basics of stuff, not sure if Rise changed much in terms of iFrames but we'll see with time.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
This is true for new players especially. I-framing attacks is the bread and butter of higher-level play though, however tight the timing may be.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
I fucking suck so very terribly bad at this game. And really, I've sucked profoundly at every Monster Hunter I've ever played. I can never understand what monster's tells are and when fighting against quicker and more slippery enemies like Mizutsune it just means I eat pretty much every single attack they deliver. I've bought MH Tri and MH World before and sucked horribly at both, only really progressing throughout the easier hunts in the game by tanking hits, healing pretty much constantly and sometimes avoiding damage by sheer miracle.

I have absolutely no idea how to get better at this fucking franchise. Maybe it's just not for me.
The best advice I can give you is to be reactive, stay far back while you try to learn the monsters attacks and only attack AFTER they attack (unless you know for sure you have an opening). Keep your distance, watch, wait, and as soon as you get out of the way of their attack, counter attack with a few hits and then get as far away as you can quickly, rinse and repeat. Even if you struggle to learn their attacks, if you stay far enough away you should be able to react to the attack in time.

Also, the Rathian and especially Mizutsune are quite hard. They seem to have a ton of health and hit extremely hard compared to what I'm used to, and I've played almost every monster hunter game quite a bit.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
you are me and I am you.

And I preordered already...
I would really like to buy and enjoy the game but given the fact that I cannot beat Mizutsune in under 45 minutes, burning through 95% of my supplies and carting at least once or twice on top of that doesn't give me a ton of confidence that I'll enjoy it. It'll probably be the same story as always, beat the first few monsters that are super easy to read, maybe a couple of the harder to read ones by burning through supplies and tanking hits and then hit a wall.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe gonna try to find a new main after maining IG for every game since 4? Pretty disappointed with its silkbinds (seriously hard to get excited about another jump, evade+heal is nice though I guess), and it's just been too static as a weapon type for too long IMO. And as mounting and long distance mobility has continued to become easier and easier for every weapon type, I do feel like IG has continued to lose a some of what makes it special. Also the Kinsect is kind of annoying me to control this time around. But I dunno, I always end up falling back into my IG ways because I love the flavor so much lol. It's a habit that's hard to break.

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
olGrw9P.jpg

Anyone else been looking for fun vantage points? Not sure if it's the highest point, could be. I'm loving exploration in this game.

God I wish that the drawing distance will do justice for spots like these in the finalized version of the game. Imagine seeing a wandering Magnamalo all the way down there from that specific place.

After a full day of testing I think I'm going to focus on...

Dual Blades (duh?)
Great Sword (I was using it a bit when I was playing 4 and Generations so it could be called a semi-main)
Lance (an exotic choice for me who has prolly used this weapon under ten times in all my years with the series)

Bring on March 26th!!! Or at least a second demo...

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I would really like to buy and enjoy the game but given the fact that I cannot beat Mizutsune in under 45 minutes, burning through 95% of my supplies and carting at least once or twice on top of that doesn't give me a ton of confidence that I'll enjoy it. It'll probably be the same story as always, beat the first few monsters that are super easy to read, maybe a couple of the harder to read ones by burning through supplies and tanking hits and then hit a wall.
Even veterans are struggling against the Mizutsune in the demo. It hits very strong and having a preset equipment doesn't help.

Oct 27, 2017
Jeez, I've gotten really rusty since 3U. And/or Mizutsune's just plain hard. The GS got some new moves and animations that I haven't gotten used to yet.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
This is good advice. Dark Souls has invuln frames out the wazoo when rolling, that's absolutely not the case with MH's dodges unless you have a ton of skill points invested in Evade Window (not the case in this demo). With very good timing you can roll through some stuff like roars, tail spins and other attacks that pass through you very quickly, but for the most part you need to avoid attacks not by pressing the dodge button just before getting attacked, but by positioning yourself in the right spot relative to the attacking monster.

God I wish that the drawing distance will do justice for spots like these in the finalized version of the game. Imagine seeing a wandering Magnamalo all the way down there from that specific place.
It does though, I was in multiplayer with my friends the other day on top of a mountain like that watching my friends chase after a Rathian clear on the other side of the map.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Even veterans are struggling against the Mizutsune in the demo. It hits very strong and having a preset equipment doesn't help.
This is exactly it. At the point you fight it on the campaign, you'll be wearing kit and having skills, near-infinite items and assistants of your choice, on top of a couple dozen hours of experience, and likely a huge health bar from having eaten a meal. This isn't an example of how the hunt will go in the middle of the campaign, it's meant to be a challenge to veteran players. It wiped me out in under ten minutes on my first attempt and I've killed dozens of the things in MHG/GU.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if it is HH being too op but I think Mizu is easier than in G/GU

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe I did this quest directly with killing all 3 monsters ...
Well that's the advantage of being a GS user since day one.
Yeah, I think it helps a lot if you've both played World so you're familiar with all the often pretty extensive weapon moveset and mechanical changes that carried over to Rise, and you've played Gen/U so you're familiar with Mizutsune who can be a tricky monster to read with some attacks whose slippery movements are not so easy to understand at a glance. I think a lot of people only played one of the two. I played both, and very recently, so I'm kinda breezing through it. If it's been a hot minute since you played GU and you skipped World for example I can easily imagine getting roughed up.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
This is exactly it. At the point you fight it on the campaign, you'll be wearing kit and having skills, near-infinite items and assistants of your choice, on top of a couple dozen hours of experience, and likely a huge health bar from having eaten a meal. This isn't an example of how the hunt will go in the middle of the campaign, it's meant to be a challenge to veteran players. It wiped me out in under ten minutes on my first attempt and I've killed dozens of the things in MHG/GU.
I guess I can always play multiplayer if I struggle against a given monster.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Mizu is such a fun monster. Literally slippin' slidin' around the arena. Thought it was lag at first lmao. Was it like that in gen 4? Can't remember.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Mitzu with GS.

And...

I dunno, maybe cause it's only a demo, but my enthusiasm wained a bit.. and it honestly made me just want to go back and Finish World/IceBorne.
I know folks say World is visually too busy, but 60fps now on console with PS5 kinda nullifies that issue.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I havent played World and GU in ages, but I could swear you could poke-poke-poke while blocking with the Lance no?

poke-poke-poke-sidestep-poke-poke-poke-sidestep-etc still works, but when blocking I can only do 1 poke.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
After some testing I think I'll main the following:
-Switch Axe: My main from GU, I still need to practice somewhat to get used to the new mechanics concerning the amped up state.
-HH/H: I'm still deciding between both impact weapons. Both control well and are very fun to play. May be my online main weapon.
-IG: Despite the lack of flashy innovations this weapon received, I want to try using this as I enjoyed Aerial style in GU.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I guess I can always play multiplayer if I struggle against a given monster.
You can, and once you get past it in multiplayer, you'll have better kit and can go back and stomp the SP version. It's worth pushing as far as you can in SP to unlock village facility upgrades, but advancing in tandem with multiplayer is great for advancing, learning, and not getting disheartened by taking a kicking on your own. Don't worry, there will be multiplayer hunts where you'll be commiserating as a team too :D

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Mitzu with GS.

And...

I dunno, maybe cause it's only a demo, but my enthusiasm wained a bit.. and it honestly made me just want to go back and Finish World/IceBorne.
I know folks say World is visually too busy, but 60fps now on console with PS5 kinda nullifies that issue.
Absolutely finish Iceborne. It's peak Monster hunter.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I've mentioned it in other threads but HH needed to have its motion values like other weapons. It shouldn't be punished for its buffs.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
huh no shit? man its all a blur. Was it gunlance that you could poke poke poke while blocking?
In GenU you could do multiple of the upward shield pokes with gunlance. In Alchemy style which I played a lot of, the third upward poke was replaced with the slam. The gunlance combo tree was quite different depending on the style, which has really fucked me up going from style to style to World to this game now.

I've mentioned it in other threads but HH needed to have its motion values like other weapons. It shouldn't be punished for its buffs.
I'm fine with this as long as Attack Up Large isn't a ludicrous 20% boost to all players, that's just insane for this game and makes me feel like I'm limiting myself by not bringing it. I really want to use the other songs but it's hard to even justify them when AuL is so busted.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with this as long as Attack Up Large isn't a ludicrous 20% boost to all players, that's just insane for this game and makes me feel like I'm limiting myself by not bringing it. I really want to use the other songs but it's hard to even justify them when AuL is so busted.

The ideal is for HH just to not have attack up but it's too late for that obviously.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Hunting horn is gonna need a rework unless they want everyone using it in multiplayer. There is no longer any risk to playing songs, as they happen automatically while attacking. It went from a 5-head weapon to a 2-head weapon

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I know people (well some?) might be disapointed in from from World/Iceborn to this (especially on a TV I imagine) but since for me the Switch is 100% portable, here its going from GU to Rise and its quite a mindfuck, looks gorgeous and runs fantastic.

Cocobani

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know this has been said before, but the soundtrack in this game is so fucking good.
It makes every encounter so much more engaging. Even the mission complete theme song is great. Might be my favorite MH soundtrack.
So excited for the game just for the music alone.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Im super cool with HH being less complex and I really like the new HH but Attack Up should just not exist in my opinion. You get rid of that and way more horns become viable. I don't expect HH to skyrocket in popularity though now that its less complex though. It'll be just as unused as Lance like usual. Its just not flashy enough, even with the new break dancing moves.

I know this has been said before, but the soundtrack in this game is so fucking good.
It makes every encounter so much more engaging. Even the mission complete theme song is great. Might be my favorite MH soundtrack.
So excited for the game just for the music alone.
Monster Hunter music slaps but honestly this is the first time where the music doesn't get lost in the ocean of other sound effects for me. Maybe its the sound mixing, maybe its the added chorus, but something about it actually makes it easier to listen to while fighting monsters.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Hunting horn seems kind of insane. I suppose on the downside, encores were removed and horns might only have 3 songs (plus 1 special song). But the upside is that maintaining all the buffs is super easy, and the trio attack is amazing. I played a bit of HH in MH3U and MHW, but yeeeaaahhh I think I found my new main.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
One of the big things is, like MHW, this game can have lots of patches and even balance patches. Definitely new territory there in terms of Nintendo Monster Hunting.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Im super cool with HH being less complex and I really like the new HH but Attack Up should just not exist in my opinion. You get rid of that and way more horns become viable. I don't expect HH to skyrocket in popularity though now that its less complex though. It'll be just as unused as Lance like usual. Its just not flashy enough, even with the new break dancing moves.
You underestimate the power of break dancing moves

They certainly sold me on the weapon

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely finish Iceborne. It's peak Monster hunter.
Random question, but I got the Iceborne Master Edition on Steam from the Winter Sale and I'm getting close to having to fight Nergigante, can I start Iceborne immediately after beating him or do I need to hunt the other Elder dragons? I want to get into Iceborne before Rise drops.