• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

krossj

Dec 4, 2017
Feels really smooth and looks great in motion! Mizutsune is a lot of fun if a bit easy online which is also smooth but feels a bit more chaotic than MH4, so much going on i didn't see what the other players were doing most of the time. The limited to 30 quests thing is eugh along with the eshop prompt after every quest. Also initially feel the wyvern riding is a bit of a miss but i'll give it a few more goes.

As fun to play as the previous entires based on this demo even with the few snags.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
First time Monster Hunter player, tried the demo and got destroyed by Mizutsune several times, but I can definitely see the appeal in the game. I read a lot of comments about how the demo isn't a great introduction so I think I am interested in trying out the full game, because I can definitely see how I would enjoy this with more practice.
This is the right attitude to go into the series with.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I can think of monsters you can stick to 24/7 without any need for fancy tricks. For those it'll be nice to toss in an easy damage buff pretty much everytime a wirebug is up.

Although in general the silkbind mobility fills in a much bigger hole in the Lancer toolkit, yeah.
I just spent a quest with izuchi exclusively practicing this wirebug absorb counter, and yeah, I think I'm quite likely to be using it often in place of the standard counter now. Especially as the stronger the hit you absorb, the stronger the buff, so could be really key for lancers facing strong, well armoured opposition. As you say, it's not like a single wirebug charge is expensive or anything and you aren't exactly going to be spamming it as you need to be seeing an upcoming attack.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Been looking at the Insect Glaive, and I am definitely having some fun with it. I still need to get the hang of the kinsect system, but I dig the mobility, especially with the wirebug skills. That back evade seem to be giving bonuses too in relation to the kinsect.

I think this could be one of the weapons that I will dive deep into for this game. ^_^

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
Loaded up the demo just to check out the new visuals and was blown away at how great the enviroments, characters and monsters look. Loved the beetles rolling up balls of mud.
But holy moly at all the new controls and things to do. All I did was just explore and practice the swinging thing in the training quest.
Still those cute beetles 🪲

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So how is this demo on the handheld mode? I was going to give it a try later tonight if it is worth it.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Not really used to the Wirebug controls and mechanics though i am using the Bow and Arrow so i guess it's less important with that.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I just spent a quest with izuchi exclusively practicing this wirebug absorb counter, and yeah, I think I'm quite likely to be using it often in place of the standard counter now. Especially as the stronger the hit you absorb, the stronger the buff, so could be really key for lancers facing strong, well armoured opposition. As you say, it's not like a single wirebug charge is expensive or anything and you aren't exactly going to be spamming it as you need to be seeing an upcoming attack.

That's what I was thinking. Painlessly swap Anchor Rage in for counter in the regular rotation. Minimal gain, most of the time, but also zero extra effort. Although I wonder if Guard skills will work with it the same way as with block, and, foolishly, I kinda want big hits to give a big buff, if only to further tempt me into being overly aggressively in your face against raging monsters.

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
First time Monster Hunter player, tried the demo and got destroyed by Mizutsune several times, but I can definitely see the appeal in the game. I read a lot of comments about how the demo isn't a great introduction so I think I am interested in trying out the full game, because I can definitely see how I would enjoy this with more practice.
No greater feeling than learning a bosses moveset, its patterns, and just absolutely destroying later on. Try out all the weapons and focus on learning them.

Even if you don't like a certain weapon, you may end up liking it later on. There is and will definitely be a lot of tutorials out there for weapons that will help a lot, some shorter than others depending who you watch but there's a great community behind the games and you can get a lot of information.

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
MH buffs, is it possible to beat all three beasts in that mission in one go? Just curious.

Definitely.

I get the impression that the new hunting horn is like if insect glaive gave you all 3 extracts at the same time just from hitting the monster or if the charge blade auto powered up both sword and axe mode just by getting 5 phials. Like it's kind of a weird bummer actually?

TBH, the extract thing is the whole reason I barely play IG and if they did that, I'd play it a lot more lol. I get your point though.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing since the PSP and I STILL can't get behind using the Greatsword, I want to love those meaty charge attacks but damn oh damn, I just flounder with this weapon.

Kinda looking into going into this entry focusing on something I hadn't before but I'm not sure Great Sword is gonna be the one.

PS: I swear Mitzu's water beam wasn't nearly as greasy in Gens (where it was more of the erratic all over the place style and not this 360 degree waist line slicer), feels like they're trying to make me wirebug out the way of it but it never pans out.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I fucking suck so very terribly bad at this game. And really, I've sucked profoundly at every Monster Hunter I've ever played. I can never understand what monster's tells are and when fighting against quicker and more slippery enemies like Mizutsune it just means I eat pretty much every single attack they deliver. I've bought MH Tri and MH World before and sucked horribly at both, only really progressing throughout the easier hunts in the game by tanking hits, healing pretty much constantly and sometimes avoiding damage by sheer miracle.

I have absolutely no idea how to get better at this fucking franchise. Maybe it's just not for me.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
After a short period of readjustment this kicks ass. I knocked out both Rathian and Mizutsune on my first try through that one, and rode all three large monsters. (I used Rathian first, rode it into the Izuchi, then rode the Izuchi after using the punisher on it and used its punisher, then took down Rathian after they separated, then fought Mizu for a while and then stumbled on it fighting Izuchi which had been put into a ridable state again, so I used the Izuchi's punisher again on Mizutsune, then Izuchi ran the fuck away and I wore down Mizu)

daase ko

Oct 26, 2017
I took a video because the quick watershot baffled me, and yes the guy shoot on the right, I see the line shot getting far away from me and then the explosion sprite appears on me, whatever...

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking suck so very terribly bad at this game. And really, I've sucked profoundly at every Monster Hunter I've ever played. I can never understand what monster's tells are and when fighting against quicker and more slippery enemies like Mizutsune it just means I eat pretty much every single attack they deliver. I've bought MH Tri and MH World before and sucked horribly at both, only really progressing throughout the easier hunts in the game by tanking hits, healing pretty much constantly and sometimes avoiding damage by sheer miracle.

I have absolutely no idea how to get better at this fucking franchise. Maybe it's just not for me.
When having this much trouble with tells I would recommend going in and spending a few minutes focused entirely on running around and watching the monsters tells without worrying about dealing damage. Once you've got a good handle on them then get more active. Once you get used to a few monsters, the rest should follow more easily without needing to do this.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
i was getting deep into the HR section of MHGU....this just took the gas right out of my ride. to know the Switch can do this much...im loving it.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Which weapons do you use? Remember to practice on Izuchi and Arzuros to get to know about your own playstyle.
Don't forget to roll with B and the wirebug is another tool to avoid incoming attacks.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
When having this much trouble with tells I would recommend going in and spending a few minutes focused entirely on running around and watching the monsters tells without worrying about dealing damage. Once you've got a good handle on them then get more active. Once you get used to a few monsters, the rest should follow more easily without needing to do this.
Believe me, I've tried to do this with Mizutsune and all I can see is it wriggling around chaotically. I know it's not, obviously it's a videogame with pre-determined animations. But I cannot for the life of me parse what the fuck it is doing at any time.

Which weapons do you use? Remember to practice on Izuchi and Arzuros to get to know about your own playstyle.
Don't forget to roll with B and the wirebug is another tool to avoid incoming attacks.
I've been failing at Monster Hunter for a long time. I know how the mechanics work, how my weapon's moveset works, how to use traps and all that jazz. I just fucking suck ass at anticipating monsters and really, that means you can neither deal nor avoid damage effectively no matter how well you know anything else. But to answer your question, I bounce between Long Sword and SnS.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

Play online and learn from others! That's what I did, it's amazing how much you pick up just by seeing how others evade every single monster attack. Before I played online I didn't realise the evade dive was immune to everything and you could dive through elemental beam attacks. I didn't realise how to shrug off blights with nulberries, or mud/soap with cleanser. I didn't know the fastest ways through the map, and playing online will show you the optimum route to the target most of the time. I didn't realise that, when a monster you are already struggling with is raging, you might as well pop around the corner, heal up and sharpen your weapon. In MHR you can pretty much pop back to base and restock.

Learning the tells only comes with experience, even if you are failing each time, there's a ton to learn. Did you know you can absorb Mitzusune's red bubbles for an attack boost, green bubbles for health, then use a cleanser to shrug off the soap effect and keep the buffs? I didn't until an hour ago.

Practice dodges, emergency wirebug evasions (ZL+B), wirebug recovery after getting knocked back, and blocks on izuchi until you're taking them down with ease, it's a weak monster. Spend a quest on just learning the moves, not trying to kill it, that's what I do.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How much health does Mizu have? I unloaded most heavy gun ammo I had on him but got wrecked and failed three times and got a game over.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Wow, just finished Mitsu. The game runs and feels amazing to play.
Love the map. The wirebug funny enough is not as OP as I thought it would be which is great. The riding is fine, but I dunno.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Not the most aggressive option, but Superman diving seems to do the trick.
Generally that was my gameplan for the move in Generations, but my recent attempt when I could get my weapon sheathed in time the bloomin' hunter just did a dopey roll instead, probably because I had only half turned when trying admittedly.
Though I did get a clutch roll under it one time, in any case maybe it's just been bad luck at the startup.

I'm basically making scrub excuses here because I feel shamed losing three lives to the move in my longsword attempt, pfft, I don't even like the weapon anyway!

Deleted member 69942

User requested account closure
Banned
May 22, 2020
The demo is really fun. Looking forward to play it with more people in the future :D I am probably going to just main Hunting Horn as usual. Though I really like the new Hunting Horn in a way I do miss the old songs. I wonder how it will be balanced and what kind of different songs we will have with the different horns.

The fact there are more HH users now means I finally will play another weapon and I am playing now a bit with the HBG, GS and Hammer they all three felt great. Tomorrow I will be trying Dual Swords and Longsword. The latter I never played due to the fact of so many players playing that weapon lol.

How much health does Mizu have? I unloaded most heavy gun ammo I had on him but got wrecked and failed three times and got a game over.

Seems he was quite some HP. At least more than Rathian.

HH is like super busted and I am afraid they will nerf it

I wonder as I dont know how much stuff each weapon gets from the armor sets if any. But if this is what to expect against early monsters (destroying them in less than 10 minutes) than I do hope that they nerf it a little bit yes. And I say that as a long time HH main :p.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
PS: I swear Mitzu's water beam wasn't nearly as greasy in Gens (where it was more of the erratic all over the place style and not this 360 degree waist line slicer), feels like they're trying to make me wirebug out the way of it but it never pans out.
The main way I dodge it is to get into the proper position before he even fires. The combo he does before the sliding laser has been consistent in my runs,. As for the circular sweep, it has such a long start-up that I get behind him and copy his circle so I don't get hit.

codemnk

Oct 30, 2017
I've been playing since the PSP and I STILL can't get behind using the Greatsword, I want to love those meaty charge attacks but damn oh damn, I just flounder with this weapon.
Starting to feel this way, only in my case it's the Charge Blade. Always intrigued me, would love to play with the Guard Points, the high burst DPS using SAED. But damn I just cannot get the hang of it. Between having to worry about phials, charging my shield, my sword, I count myself lucky if I hit the monster accidentally even once while I'm trying to juggle everything.
Anything more than hammer unga-bunga or lance pokey-poke and my brain just seems to overload, crash and burn. It's unfortunate.

Last edited:

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
So my best advice is that you hunt the same monster a few times before you move on to the next. Use the same weapon each time and go in with the mindset that you are going to learn what moves the monster has. Focus on recognizing one or two moves at a time and give them names to better remember them.

Attack a body part that allow you to position yourself so it easy to get out of harms way. A good starting point is attacking the legs of the monster since you sometimes cause the monster to fall over.

Also, everyone struggles. It is just that kind of game. I have been playing MH for over a decade and I actually triple carted to Mizu my first attempt.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Also, everyone struggles. It is just that kind of game. I have been playing MH for over a decade and I actually triple carted to Mizu my first attempt.
Same for me. A decade of the games and I triple carted to Mizu (admittedly I haven't played MH for a year or so), then pulled it down in 45 mins, then 35. I can feel the old muscle memory coming back, I was too focused on building in wirebugs over relearning the basics. Over the course of a campaign you'll pull each one down so many times, and get better at it.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The main way I dodge it is to get into the proper position before he even fires. The combo he does before the sliding laser has been consistent in my runs,. As for the circular sweep, it has such a long start-up that I get behind him and copy his circle so I don't get hit.
Ohh, I need to be more observant, didn't realise the sliding laser was a follow up move of sorts.

Starting to feel this way, only in my case it's the Charge Blade. Always intrigued me, would love to play with its Guard Points, the high burst DPS using SAED. But damn I just cannot get the hang of it. Between having to worry about phials, charging my shield, my sword, I count myself lucky if I hit the monster accidentally even once while I'm trying to juggle everything.
Anything more than hammer unga-bunga or lance pokey-poke and my brain just seems to overload, crash and burn. It's unfortunate.
Funnily enough, in my return to world this last month due to Rise hype I've been trying Charge Blade as well, and I feel like I'm focusing far more on phial management and trying to get powered up instead of the actual fight.
Altogether I think I'm noticing that I'm not too fond of the numerous weapons that involve these layers of prep and powering up, learning the kinsect is my personal limit of shenanigans I'm willing to engage in and even then this demo showed me that I'm not up for the glaive without having a set built specifically for it and the bug.

I kinda feel like Switchaxe can work as a much easier to understand counterpart to the chargeblade, shame that I struggled to get the DPS in though come Iceborne, especially when HAMMER GOES BONK.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
Managed to hunt every monster in the Mizutsune mission, cleared mission in 49 minutes lol that was close.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
Same for me. A decade of the games and I triple carted to Mizu (admittedly I haven't played MH for a year or so), then pulled it down in 45 mins, then 35. I can feel the old muscle memory coming back, I was too focused on building in wirebugs over relearning the basics. Over the course of a campaign you'll pull each one down so many times, and get better at it.
Yeah, every time I take a break I have to relearn stuff, especially since I often hop between games. 4U is always good to go back to, forces me to focus on fundamentals.

Oct 30, 2017
Believe me, I've tried to do this with Mizutsune and all I can see is it wriggling around chaotically. I know it's not, obviously it's a videogame with pre-determined animations. But I cannot for the life of me parse what the fuck it is doing at any time.

I've been failing at Monster Hunter for a long time. I know how the mechanics work, how my weapon's moveset works, how to use traps and all that jazz. I just fucking suck ass at anticipating monsters and really, that means you can neither deal nor avoid damage effectively no matter how well you know anything else. But to answer your question, I bounce between Long Sword and SnS.

you are me and I am you.

And I preordered already...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just do what I do, when it starts pulling its body back, dodge the fuck out of the way

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
For the many that can't defeat the Mizutsune, I recommend going for the other new monster of the intermediate level. It is more difficult than the Great Izuchi but easier than Mizu.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's crazy how solid this is so far. Much smoother than World on PS4. Looks good enough on my tv to me, but still might prefer the vibrant look of generations still.

Haven't played much multiplayer, yet, but I'm really curious to see why some people are having flawless experiences and others are having Smash Bros tier chugging.

Last edited:

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how solid this is so far. Much smoother than World on PS4. Looks good enough on my tv to me, but so might prefer the vibrant look of generations still.

Haven't played much multiplayer, yet, but I'm really curious to see why some people are having flawless experiences and others are having Smash Bros tier chugging.
Seems to have something to do with your friends list. I've seen people say that the cause of it chugging online is due to having too many Switch friends.

RGB

Nov 13, 2017

Here's a real simple thing to try. Pick Arzuros or Izuchi.

Just watch it.
Let it attack and move aside.
Hit it once, and go back to watching.

As a beginnner, you want to punishing it missing, not trying to bust in and make your own openings. You wont set any speed run times, but you'll start to get the cadence of the combat.

Edit: I dug up this old video, it's totally still valid.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Went another round with gunlance after figuring out the jump attacks and other nuances like the fast wyrmstake cannon and canceling wyvernfire end lag, and it's kinda beastly. I blazed a path of destruction through that map, nothing was left alive by the 35-40 minute mark.

For the many that can't defeat the Mizutsune, I recommend going for the other new monster of the intermediate level. It is more difficult than the Great Izuchi but easier than Mizu.
May be a good idea. Rathian is definitely easier to read than Mizu and I enjoy using it as a training dummy with new weapons or loadouts.

Is there an option to use guns with L and R instead of ZR and ZL?
Yes, that and many other control options are... in the options menu under controls.

Wonder if the gunners out there have already messed around with the gyro aiming option.