• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I'd have to disagree, as HH has pretty much always been a perfectly apt weapon to use alone. Hell, in 4U it was one of my main weapons, since the Bug Stick wasn't as busted as it was in vanilla 4.

What was always the problem was that players didn't really feel like learning how to Doot Doot properly (even if I don't feel that maintaining buffs was that much more intricate than say, Bug Extracts or Phial management), and then there's always the "sUpP0Rt WeAp0n!!" stigma.

I feel like if more were aware that the weapon always had possibilities such as Divine Blessing and Healing melodies that could keep your ass alive longer, which is a good thing to have in solo or MP, they'd see it was always a solid option.
HH was a little slower pre-World so I never found it as satisfying to use solo than a hammer. The only time I really used it solo was when I found a completely broken one from an expo in MH4U. They really made some great changes to it in World/Iceborne that made it feel great, maybe I'll feel the same after some more time with it in Rise.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
You just start tapping A, which would normally start the Big Bang combo. But after a level 3 yellow charge, tapping B skips to the 3rd and 4th hit of the combo before the finisher. If you spin 4 times before golf-swinging out of the level 3 yellow charge, your Big Bang combo will skip ahead to the 4th attack!

edit - I'm not sure, but it seems as if the level 3 yellow charge golfswing into Big Bang finisher might end up being the hammer's most powerful combo, especially if you hit the four spins beforehand.
Huh?
To get out of the lvl 3 charging swist you press X+A first, right? to get the swing in the opposite direction?
I can replicate your vid till the hit on 3 secs. After that it just stops no matter what I press xD

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
*takes notes furiously*
Oh, I should also mention that if you switch from blue charge to yellow charge, your hunter will dash forward (great gap closer!) and you'll get a level 3 yellow charge! So a perfect combo here would be:

From blue charge: (ZR+A), Let go of ZR, spin 4 times before hitting X for the golfswing, tap A until Big Bang combo is finished.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Oh, I should also mention that if you switch from blue charge to yellow charge, your hunter will dash forward (great gap closer!) and you'll get a level 3 yellow charge! So a perfect combo here would be:

From blue charge: (ZR+A), Let go of ZR, spin 4 times before hitting X for the golfswing, tap A until Big Bang combo is finished.
Going from the golf swing straight into big bang sounds like a lot of damage.

Man, I'm loving all these changes to hammer.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Going from the golf swing straight into big bang sounds like a lot of damage.

Man, I'm loving all these changes to hammer.
It's so good! Blue charge finally allowing hammer bros to have a level 3 charge that doesn't send them into a super risky spin is such a nice quality of life change, too.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
Ho Yeah I totally agree.
What's beyond dumb is that now, everyone can have his monster hunter, and that's awesome, but now, it's "my MH is better than yours".

I was frustrated by world cause I wasn't able to play it, so now I'm really happy to get rise, but that doesn't make world bad, it still exists... And 2 years from now, rise will be old story, and 6 will be the hot thing for ps5/xbox/pc.
And that's great.
The only monster hunter i've had before world was 3rd and life went on, so anyone complaining about missing one game are silly.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Ooooh horizontal gyro doesn't work because you have to tilt the system around like a fucking steering wheel. Does any human prefer it that way? They better end up including the option to use it like any other game, like come on

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
No, the left to right swing is what happens when you exit a level 3 yellow charge spin before spinning 4 times, by pressing X. The clip I linked isn't the perfect combo.
I feel so dumb :D
Sorry to bother again. would you mind to tell me the button presses after the left to right swing? I'm stuck.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played monster hunter before. how overwhelmed can I expect to be once this demo downloads?
Extremely. There are literally no weapon tutorials.

I feel so dumb :D
Sorry to bother again. would you mind to tell me the button presses after the left to right swing? I'm stuck.

Or, from yellow charge, hold ZR until level 3 charge, then continue as written above from "let go of ZR"

edit - it's important to note that the Big Bang combo will not continue unless you actually hit the enemy. If you whiff any of the Big Bang swings the combo will end!

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I've been playing a few missions now and the charge blade still works fine at least.
But in MHW on PS4 pro monsters/animals in the distance were rendered in 15 fps.
In this version it feels like the game itself outputs 30ish fps but a lot of close up monsters and even the character/main monster sometimes is rendered in 15 and the animations are more stumpy.

Am I getting crazy? MHW on my PS4 pro does not feel like this at all and according to the performance video posted earlier this has higher average fps than that. But it feels completely opposite. On the PS5 the 60 fps on everything is nicer of course but I have no issues playing it on the pro either.

I'd really like to play this on the switch :(

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I've never played monster hunter before. how overwhelmed can I expect to be once this demo downloads?

I've played a bit with charge blade now and it's 90% same feature set as in MHW. Go look up some video of your weapon of choice for MHW and I'm 100% sure there will be a million tutorial videos for this one as well in a day or so on youtube.

Do not play it "raw", I tried that the first time I did MH and was just completely lost. You need to know how to work your weapon.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Mixed feelings on the new HH. It feels really fun to play, but I'm not a fan of how much they simplified the songs. I guess I haven't used it to a significant degree since 3U, so eh.

simplified HH is super fluid and kind of fun but i'm worried that it's going to end up being really shallow in the final

It's so easy to get the double and triple notes you need that you almost might as well just have the buffs permanently from the beginning, and that invincibility on the self-improvement recital is so unnecessary.

I think part of the reason people respected and liked having horn mains around is because a lot of people did try out horn and realized how challenging it was to maintain buffs while staying on the monster and doing optimal damage.

This is pretty much where I am with HH as well. I can absolutely see the appeal and why players are having a blast with it. It is a blast now that it has been super easy-moded. I won't even try to say it isn't fun. I will say though that it just feels almost like a totally different and new weapon. Like a Buffing Support Hammer. It was before, but now with the extremely simplified way that songs are activated... it's so very much just faster hammer with a different moveset and buffs that pop out of it.

I am definitely not writing it off or meaning to sound like "BACK IN MY HH DAY!" at all. I have always enjoyed every last tweak and update and rollback that the creators of the series have done since I started on PSP. It's come so very far and I've loved every last minute of it. Well... not Medium Bowgun, never that.

I can't wait to put more time in with it with an actual tree, and see what else is still out there for us to find. My number one curiousity... will there be more complex songs that are not just aa, bb, yy? Will we only have 3 songs max even on later HHs? Alatreon HH had 5 songs, and that wasn't counting Echo Wave Dragon. So I am hopeful there is yet to be at least a bit of complexity we haven't seen.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Extremely. There are literally no weapon tutorials.

Or, from yellow charge, hold ZR until level 3 charge, then continue as written above from "let go of ZR"
ah you have to do it against a monster right? I cannot be done by attacking without target?
haha fuck.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I've played a bit with charge blade now and it's 90% same feature set as in MHW. Go look up some video of your weapon of choice for MHW and I'm 100% sure there will be a million tutorial videos for this one as well in a day or so on youtube.

Do not play it "raw", I tried that the first time I did MH and was just completely lost. You need to know how to work your weapon.

Can you shield cancel sidestep like in MHW?

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Finally my first clean kill on Mizu without any carts (LS). Man they really make these demo monsters tough with shit armor and no kitchen lol I was getting bodied and felt like a noob the first few kills.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
The training room is such an important part of the Monster Hunter games, so I can understand why they didn't include it in the demo, but damn is it going to be impossible for newbies to practice combos without it.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I get the impression that the new hunting horn is like if insect glaive gave you all 3 extracts at the same time just from hitting the monster or if the charge blade auto powered up both sword and axe mode just by getting 5 phials. Like it's kind of a weird bummer actually?

Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck does the "webbing" attack with Charge Blade work? I'm sitting down creating what looks like a net trap, but nothing happens when the monster charges at me.

It fills all your phials if you get attacked while doing it. You can get to fully charged shield and another set of full phials almost instantly at the start of a fight.

Oct 25, 2017
I've really been enjoying the demo for Rise, but I can't play online without so much lag. I've got 250 some odd friends on my friends list. I just discovered the lag is tied to the number of friends on your friends list.

Anyone else in here having that issue?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've really been enjoying the demo for Rise, but I can't play online without so much lag. I've got 250 some odd friends on my friends list. I just discovered the lag is tied to the number of friends on your friends list.

TFW you find out you have no friends because Monster Hunter functions perfectly. =P

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I read online that people said they have the lag issue with their main account!
I don't and have only a few friends, so it really seems to be the problem!

Do we have a monster hunter discord group? Would like to get a game of 4 people again.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Doesn't seem worth it to me at the moment compared to saving the wirebug charges, considering how powerful the other silkbind launcher attacks are and how they get you back in close. Mobility is key for a lancer. That's why I always went aerial style in the last two games.

I can think of monsters you can stick to 24/7 without any need for fancy tricks. For those it'll be nice to toss in an easy damage buff pretty much everytime a wirebug is up.

Although in general the silkbind mobility fills in a much bigger hole in the Lancer toolkit, yeah.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully monsters stay mobile to keep up with hunters in the main game. Already thinking about how crazy the inevitable G-rank mode is gonna be...

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
First time Monster Hunter player, tried the demo and got destroyed by Mizutsune several times, but I can definitely see the appeal in the game. I read a lot of comments about how the demo isn't a great introduction so I think I am interested in trying out the full game, because I can definitely see how I would enjoy this with more practice.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Can you shield cancel sidestep like in MHW?

I'm not able to side step at all..
Maybe I'm doing it wrong and the controls are different on the switch but it doesn't feel like MHW in that way at least.

A lot of the sidestep animation skips were removed from MHW some time ago btw (but not the charge cancel I think)

RGB

Nov 13, 2017
First time Monster Hunter player, tried the demo and got destroyed by Mizutsune several times, but I can definitely see the appeal in the game. I read a lot of comments about how the demo isn't a great introduction so I think I am interested in trying out the full game, because I can definitely see how I would enjoy this with more practice.
They're not kidding when they say intermediate, they're assuming someone with a decent chunk of hours into the series for Mizu's demo scaling. Don't be put off seeing vets destroy him. Maybe, save him for the end after you've had time to beat up the others and got some solid time in with your weapon of choice.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I can think of monsters you can stick to 24/7 without any need for fancy tricks. For those it'll be nice to toss in an easy damage buff pretty much everytime a wirebug is up.

Although in general the silkbind mobility fills in a much bigger hole in the Lancer toolkit, yeah.
Yeah fair point, particularly on the slower ones

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017

Mitsuzune is is annoying, especially when you just began playing monster hunter, didn't pull off solo'ing him yet in the demo either as an experienced player, I only had 10 minutes left and I got carted 3 times. If you're in for it you can spar with Azourous or the Graggi to get the feel of the weapons.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This demo is aimed at veteran monster Hunter players to test the online, it's there to challenge them. It isn't an immediate step up where if you can beat Great Izuchi, wno will likely be the first large creature you face, you are ready for Mizusune with it's speed, range, size, aggression and soap/waterblight. In the main game there will be a stack of monsters between Great Izuchi and Mizusune, you're talking at least a dozen hours of play with all that experience you'll have gained on the way, along with having a full meal buff beforehand and armour and skills you'll have tailored yourself. The single player campaign will ease players in, the main complaint is that it does so too slowly, but that's what online play is for. What I recommend people do is to push forward online or in SP until they get stuck and then work on the other for a bit in tandem, as doing quests in SP will open up your village resources for both, and doing quests online will get you better equipment and more experience faster, as hunts are way quicker and you can see what veteran hunters do to save time.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Ok we badly need a switch pro. Framerate is completely unlocked when docked and it swings wildly. Stare at a wall and its buttery smooth, spin the camera and the framerate tanks.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I will say, my switch got hot af playing this in the dock, holy cow.

Took it out of the dock, put it to sleep to let the fan settle, and then turned it back on, the fan instantly started churning. Not in-game, in the home menu.

I have V1, how are others with V1 holding up? lol

I swear my fan is definitely louder

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Beat Mizutsune for the first time in multiplayer.

it ended with a rodeo and we spammed the vanity poses to celebrate.

So good.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else playing on a c9 oled?

The fps are kinda all over the place even right at the start of the first mission. Like if it's going from 25 to 35 and back again all the time.

Is this because i'm playing on my tv? Other people here seem to have a better time in handheld mode.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Anyone else playing on a c9 oled?

The fps are kinda all over the place even right at the start of the first mission. Like if it's going from 25 to 35 and back again all the time.

Is this because i'm playing on my tv? Other people here seem to have a better time in handheld mode.

Your TV wouldn't be doing that.

The framepacing is a bit iffy in the game so you're probably noticing that.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
I've done a handful of quests now. Don't love the new GS, but don't hate it either. It's kinda growing on me in fact. More testing is required.

Loving the game so far but I'm still trying to get a handle on how to use the wirebug to move around the map more effectively. Is it possible to climb cliffs without consuming a wirebug charge?

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your TV wouldn't be doing that.

The framepacing is a bit iffy in the game so you're probably noticing that.

I can't remember me noticing it this bad outside a hand full of games tbh.

It's not unplayable but i wouldn't ever call it smooth or locked.

Maybe it's because i played other locked 60fps titles in the last few weeks but man this sticks out.