• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
the first training mission ends when you talk to the dude back at the came, otherwise, you can fuck around as long as you like killing small monsters
Biggest thing with the GS generally is you should have the weapon sheathed the vast majority of the time; usually, when you have a window, you're gonna want to run up to the monster, hit it with your basic attack, and then immediately run away again. Don't worry about charging your attacks fully unless you have a big enough opening to do so.
If you need to do MORE damage when the monster's down, you can pull back on the stick and hold X after your first hit lands to start charging a more damaging slash!
After any X attack, or during a roll, you can press A to do a tackle, which basically gives you superarmour for a second, very good for getting out of attacks if you get blindsided and can't get away quickly enough!
Thanks!

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Is there a way to turn around while riding a monster without running? It's kinda hard to face other monsters imo.
Would love to change direction while staying idle.

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
Once I get off from work, I'm going to sit down and finally try to learn GS. Y'all got any tips to keep in mind beforehand?
There are three charged attacks the weapon has that can be used one after the other. The last one, the True charged slash is what you should be going for which requires timing and understanding of monster movements. Don't be afraid to sheath if you are out of position, movement is too slow to leave the weapon out. The shoulder tackle is probably the most important move in the kit. It gives you super armor and reduced damage, as well as stores your charging and let's you skip to the next charged attack. It's insanely valuable.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No stutter for me online and playing docked. But I'm also using the Ethernet adapter!

Anyone here who wants to hunt a Rathain + Mizu online?

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
There are three charged attacks the weapon has that can be used one after the other. The last one, the True charged slash is what you should be going for which requires timing and understanding of monster movements. Don't be afraid to sheath if you are out of position, movement is too slow to leave the weapon out. The shoulder tackle is probably the most important move in the kit. It gives you super armor and reduced damage, as well as stores your charging and let's you skip to the next charged attack. It's insanely valuable.
I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really want to ignore SA in this game (it overtook CB as my most used weapon in Iceborne), but the changes to it in this game are just too much fun. I just love the flow of the weapon.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I want to try lance out for the first time. Anyone got any advice for that weapon?

Practice the triple poke combo (X/A) and weaving in sidesteps or backhops to keep the chain going endlessly. That'll be your bread and butter. Block or counter (ZR / ZR+A) if a monster is about to hit you. Nothing much more to it. Once you're comfortable with the constant DPS upkeep playstyle, the silkbind and other attacks will fall naturally into place.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Still not sold on the riding system. Kinda feels like it's too easy to get monsters into a mountable state.
Maybe they could change it so every time you ride a monster it gets harder and harder to to it again or something?

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I'll toss in one more Rise-specific wrinkle to this. Like the others said, sheathing for movement and picking spots is important, so remember that you have access to the Power Sheathe silkbind attack (ZL+A while your weapon's out). It gives you a quick dash to cover some ground, auto-sheathes your GS, and gives you a temporary attack buff all in one quick motion. It only costs one wirebug so it's suuuper useful for getting in a hit and quickly getting back out.

Also tackle is love, tackle is life.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
How the fuck does the "webbing" attack with Charge Blade work? I'm sitting down creating what looks like a net trap, but nothing happens when the monster charges at me.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Still not sold on the riding system. Kinda feels like it's too easy to get monsters into a mountable state.
Maybe they could change it so every time you ride a monster it gets harder and harder to to it again or something?
That's...how it currently works though? It's apparently fairly easy to get the first mount on a monster, but nearly impossible to get the second. Unless you're talking about making this the case globally (as in, having it so that mounting any monster makes any subsequent mounts of any monster be harder)

I also think they probably tuned it so that it was easier to get mounts in the demo so that people could try out the system

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or does monster hunter 4U looks cleaner in docked mode compared to Rise?
you mean Generations Ultimate I assume, and if I had to guess Rise is probably running at something like 900p while GenU was 1080p which would give GenU a cleaner look. Makes sense seeing as Rise has VASTLY improved models, textures, seamless world, ect. compared to GenU which was a 3DS port.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I want to try lance out for the first time. Anyone got any advice for that weapon?
I divide it into two parts in my head, the basic melee work and closing the distance. The triple poke is your basic combo, but you can cancel out at the end by sidestepping or jumping back, allowing you to keep attacking. This is the standard lancer style, notching up damage and staying in close. The counter move is good if you're about to be attacked, but while you are in close, you also want to get your silkbite grapple in- ZL+X, costs two wirebug charges.

You know it's in effect because you can see the silk wire. This then means that once the monster moves away, ZL+B will launch you back at it, allowing you to get in a heavy strike and then settle into your melee routine. Your other options to close in if you haven't got that up:
A) your charge move (A+X while blocking), you can either attack with x as you reach the target or jump and attack with b then x (my preference).
B) from the palamute, practise dismounting forwards (b) into a Lance draw attack (x).
C) just run in and use an unsheathe attack.
Generally the silkbite launch is the quickest and strongest, then if that isn't an option use the charge, and use the palamute instead of the charge if you're a bit too far away to charge or need to dodge projectiles on the way in. You'll soon get used to which way to close in is most effective in the circumstances.

90% of the time as a lancer you'll be doing one of those two routines. There are other moves (the horizontal swipe, the silkbite counter that increases your attack strength as you are attacked), but I'd recommend sticking with practicing your close-range melee and closing-the distance until you're comfortable with those core elements.

Last edited:

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I'm really loving the Shrine Ruins map, the verticality and endemic life make it feel so much more engaging than any of World's. Plus having all the new movement options to get around is great.

Other thoughts, I guess: My World main, the Bow, feels like it got a bit of a downgrade for me. I know people hated the Arc Shot in World, but as a solo player I never had to deal with the problems so I miss it a lot. My other most used weapons, Charge Blade and Long Sword, feel about the same, though I didn't play Iceborne so the Iai stuff with Longsword is new to me. Probably going to try out more weapons using this demo, the Hunting Horn might be my new main from what I've played of it so far

NotSoren

Jul 15, 2020
you mean Generations Ultimate I assume, and if I had to guess Rise is probably running at something like 900p while GenU was 1080p which would give GenU a cleaner look. Makes sense seeing as Rise has VASTLY improved models, textures, seamless world, ect. compared to GenU which was a 3DS port.
Yeah i meant Generations Ultimate. Okay I don't really keep up with monster hunter news haha. Makes sense, I hope I get used to it otherwise I will probably stick to portable play only.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Dual Blades lost the sidestep slash in demon mode from world. That's a shame since the infinite chain we could do with that made the weapon feel really fluid. Otherwise it's pretty much the same.

Not feeling the Hunting Horn honestly. The new attack animations are cool, but losing the Iceborne tools feels like a step back. Seems their goal was to make it easy to pick up so it wouldn't be the least popular weapon anymore, but it feels it lost some of what I liked about it. I need to see what happens with songs on different horns though.

This map feels so boring compared to World maps. Mizutsune would run to three different areas on the river and all felt like the same arena as the last. Hopefully there's multiple campsites in the full game so we can fast travel closer to monsters like in World too. Funny how the colors are less vibrant too despite them not going for the realistic look in Rise.

Wyvern riding is weird. I'm probablygoingto just throw the monster into the wall three times instead of trying to fight other monsters, it feels so clunky.

The wirebug is cool though, and it's fun to fight Mizutsune again.
Had a quick DB question actually. Been enjoying them in the demo but is that aerial attack (can't remember the exact name) where you roll down the spine of the monster something that can be done via wirebug movement/attacks? It specifies that your weapons must be unsheathed but neither of the silkbind attacks launch you into the air so in theory you would need to use the sheathed ZL+X then go into demon mode and then hit X somehow.

I'm assuming I either am missing a key move or its just not possible without a ledge... Hoping to be enlightened

Yes it can be done, but the timing is awkward. We have to wirebug, then unsheath into demon mode with ZR, then hit A before landing.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
I divide it into two parts in my head, the basic melee work and closing the distance. The triple poke is your basic combo, but you can cancel out at the end by sidestepping or jumping back, allowing you to keep attacking. This is the standard lancer style, notching up damage and staying in close. The counter move is good if you're about to be attacked, but while you are in close, you also want to get your silkbite grapple in- ZL+X, costs two wirebug charges.

You know it's in effect because you can see the silk wire. This then means that once the monster moves away, ZL+B will launch you back at it, allowing you to get in a heavy strike and then settle into your melee routine. Your other options to close in if you haven't got that up:
A) your charge move (A+X while blocking), you can either attack with x as you reach the target or jump and attack with b then x (my preference).
B) from the palamute, practise dismounting forwards (b) into a Lance draw attack (x).
C) just run in and use an unsheathe attack.
Generally the silkbite launch is the quickest and strongest, then if that isn't an option use the charge, and use the palamute instead of the charge if you're a bit too far away to charge or need to dodge projectiles on the way in. You'll soon get used to which way to close in is most effective in the circumstances.

90% of the time as a lancer you'll be doing one of those two routines. There are other moves (the horizontal swipe, the silkbite counter that increases your attack strength as you are attacked), but I'd recommend sticking with practicing your close-range melee and closing-the distance.
How do you feel about the the other silk move? The attack boost from this counter is so short, I dunno...

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Is there are way to centre camera on current target monster with a tap of the button in the options?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
How do you feal about the the other silk move? The attack boost from this counter is so short, I dunno...
Doesn't seem worth it to me at the moment compared to saving the wirebug charges, considering how powerful the other silkbind launcher attacks are and how they get you back in close. Mobility is key for a lancer. That's why I always went aerial style in the last two games.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure how I feel about using R for running. Hope I can change it in the final game to L3. (Edit: pause, options, settings, controls, it can be changed).

Additionally, I hope they tweak locking on, because I can barely tell if I'm locked on to a monster, like the reticle is so hard to see.

I'm trying the basic controls mission now to see if I missed something, but so far the demo has been been really good. Very excited!

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
That's...how it currently works though? It's apparently fairly easy to get the first mount on a monster, but nearly impossible to get the second. Unless you're talking about making this the case globally (as in, having it so that mounting any monster makes any subsequent mounts of any monster be harder)

I also think they probably tuned it so that it was easier to get mounts in the demo so that people could try out the system
Oh I see. That's good to hear! Thanks for the info.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how I feel about using R for running. Hope I can change it in the final game to L3. Additionally, I hope they tweak locking on, because I can barely tell if I'm locked on to a monster, like the reticle is so hard to see.

I'm trying the basic controls mission now to see if I missed something, but so far the demo has been been really good. Very excited!

I have the very same feeling
Great so far but lock and run arent exactly perfect

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Posted this when people were asleep, and I'd really like to know if anyone else feels the same way, so I'm gonna bring it back up.
Pretty much. Horn was in a pretty decent spot in World with having the needed notes visible and being able to "store" songs until you had the opportunity to play them. That fixed the annoying issue of stacking up all the notes in the correct order but then not having a chance to actually play the song, making you decide between playing another note, which makes you now unable to play the song, or just doing the recital on nothing and wasting your good damage and KO. The extra shockwaves given to recital animations made them really fun to land on monsters. The option to roll out of the recital before playing the song let you use them more aggressively, but the biggest damage and KO in the encore still required a very large commitment that was satisfying to find opportunities for. The only issue I really had with it was that the basic X and A moves were still quite unimpressive and didn't flow together very well in a satisfying way.

I'm going to be playing Rise horn a bit more to cement my opinion, and there might be a demo-specific lack of balance here, but I'm a little disappointed. It's so easy to get the double and triple notes you need that you almost might as well just have the buffs permanently from the beginning, and that invincibility on the self-improvement recital is so unnecessary. You can really just go unga bunga without thinking at all and the songs refresh themselves. The old horn really felt like a different weapon because it demanded you think about the songs you're playing, anticipate when they're going to expire, and start doing certain attacks to get certain notes ahead of time so you're ready to refresh the song. That sort of planning aspect feels pretty much gone.

I think part of the reason people respected and liked having horn mains around is because a lot of people did try out horn and realized how challenging it was to maintain buffs while staying on the monster and doing optimal damage. Should you abandon your song to do a twirl and do some good DPS? After the twirl, should you go for red notes to get Impact Echo Wave? Should you get just one or go for more for big triple IEW play? Or should you go back to lining up that song that's going to expire soon? In this game it feels a bit like you can just mash buttons and get everything.

Last edited:

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Hammer is amazing in Rise. I actually regret trying it out because now I don't want to play anything else.

Chaining level 3 yellow charge into the big bang combo finisher feels SO GOOD.

Posting once more for reference:

Oh it is, but the feeling of the great sword..it just FEELS right in my hands

Mercury_Sagit

Aug 4, 2020
Played the Mizu mission twice and I realized how reliant I was on Adept style in GU... So many times I timed B without consideration for the direction, just to get a hit straight onto my face lol. Btw what is the optimal combo for LS? The longest I could unleash is the silk trap (zl + a) then x then spirit slash x3.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
we have the same thing here - bizarrely it's less a problem in portable mode for me.

My boyfriend plays on tv and the stutters are really bad and very regular like every Five seconds it freezes for a few frames. Putting the dock in wired connection didn't help.

In portable mode it's less noticeable.

I wonder if it's a server / location problem or our internet settings - I'm in France on a (usually) great cable connection
Happens for me in docked and handheld mode the stuttering feels the same, it even happens when I just play alone online too. Had a search on reddit and it seems others are having the same problem too even on ethernet. See a few people say that switching to a different user account fixes it but I don't have a family plan for the online so I can't try that. I made sure to mention the problem in the feedback survey.

Deleted the demo for now, if the rumoured second demo has the same problems then I'll be having second thoughts about my preorder.

EDIT: seen people suggesting it's a bug to do with the size of your friend list and deleting some helped fix it.

Last edited:

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Hammer is amazing in Rise. I actually regret trying it out because now I don't want to play anything else.

Chaining level 3 yellow charge into the big bang combo finisher feels SO GOOD.

Posting once more for reference:

How do you continue after the swings from lvl 3 charge to get this combo?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've played six multiplayer games with people from 'any language' (am in the U.K.) and it was fine for me, but I suspect there's a bit of luck of the draw depending on who is hosting and playing.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
How do you continue after the swings from lvl 3 charge to get this combo?
You just start tapping A, which would normally start the Big Bang combo. But after a level 3 yellow charge, tapping B skips to the 3rd and 4th hit of the combo before the finisher. If you spin 4 times before golf-swinging out of the level 3 yellow charge, your Big Bang combo will skip ahead to the 4th attack!

edit - I'm not sure, but it seems as if the level 3 yellow charge golfswing into Big Bang finisher might end up being the hammer's most powerful combo, especially if you hit the four spins beforehand.

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
I am loving this demo, the wire bug is such a great addition. Been trying out Hunting Horn, Gun Lance, Charge Blade, and Bow. And while they're different from my previous playstyles, I'm enjoying them.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't decide on Greatsword or Dual Blades as my main weapon when this launches. They're both so great. I'll probably just spend a lot of time with both of 'em.

Pretty amazing the 180 that happened for me with this game. I LOVE it now. I've murdered the Intermediate quest like eight times now.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
You just start tapping A, which would normally start the Big Bang combo. But after a level 3 yellow charge, tapping B skips to the 3rd and 4th hit of the combo before the finisher. If you spin 4 times before golf-swinging out of the level 3 yellow charge, your Big Bang combo will skip ahead to the 4th attack!

edit - I'm not sure, but it seems as if the level 3 yellow charge golfswing into Big Bang finisher might end up being the hammer's most powerful combo, especially if you hit the four spins beforehand.
*takes notes furiously*

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
How the fuck does the "webbing" attack with Charge Blade work? I'm sitting down creating what looks like a net trap, but nothing happens when the monster charges at me.

Also figuring this out, I believe you're able to counter slap them the moment they walk in to the web-firewall but have not found the right button combo for it yet.