• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
Not having to deal with the damn scoutflies is sooo nice. Hated those thing in World. Was the worst.
The quest arrow is only for the Demo I think though (And hope). Rather simply use the map now.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I must be really poor at wielding LS then because I felt I can get in attacks better with the horn than the sword - I missed with LS a lot more. Elemental attacks I will have to find about because I didn't even know you can do that with these weapons.
A lot of players settle on a weapon they feel more comfortable with- I've seen terrible longsword players and also ones that just murder pretty much everything. I don't really use either though, I stick with Lance as when I started playing I found it to be the best way to notch up damage on huge creatures with their bellies way off the ground, and have stuck with it as my main weapon ever since! I do dabble in GS too, and want to learn a ranged one this time around.

Manggei

Oct 28, 2017
Greetings! I haven't seen more than the tutorial and can't say a lot about the gameplay (skipped MH World, so the qol improvements are new and seem very useful and interesting) but there's one thing that really stands out for me from the beginning:

The environmental sound design in 5.1 or in my case 7.1 with DTS Neural X! Just great! Rocking a last year's Denon X1600 here with a pseudo Atmos setup (Atmos speakers upon the L/R mains, "reflecting" some effects) and... man, this delivers. I'm sitting in the middle of a jungle pulsating with life, sound effects coming sometimes subtle, sometimes louder from every direction. Impressing, really! I don't know if the "Home Theater" option in the audio options adds something to it or if the Denon performs some magic here, but no, I think it really is a very good source material of sound, crafted by very skilled people.
I guess, despite the visuals looking better undocked, I won't go without the fascinating audio via home theater very often.

OT: while I'm at it, "What remains of Edith Finch" is also very impressive in the environmental sound effects department.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Not having to deal with the damn scoutflies is sooo nice. Hated those thing in World. Was the worst.
The quest arrow is only for the Demo I think though (And hope). Rather simply use the map now.
Yeah the arrow is completely unnecessary with the icons on the map, especially as just because it says the monster is in a certain direction doesn't mean that's the quickest way to get to it.

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of players settle on a weapon they feel more comfortable with- I've seen terrible longsword players and also ones that just murder pretty much everything. I don't really use either though, I stick with Lance as when I started playing I found it to be the best way to notch up damage on huge creatures with their bellies way off the ground, and have stuck with it as my main weapon ever since! I do dabble in GS too, and want to learn a ranged one this time around.

I stuck with LS and LBG in World because I felt comfortable with them and I felt both weapons had good damage without the sacrifice of mobility. But because I spent so much time with those weapons, I don't want to just play Rise with them again even though I am comfortable with them.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I must be really poor at wielding LS then because I felt I can get in attacks better with the horn than the sword - I missed with LS a lot more. Elemental attacks I will have to find about because I didn't even know you can do that with these weapons.
Horn's OP in the demo. People are getting really fast clear times even on their first attempt with it. Hopefully it's rebalanced by the time the full game comes out--there was something like this in the MHGU demo where the gunlance shots did way more damage than they eventually did in the final game.

The bowguns and maaybe the bow should be the only way to do elemental damage outside of the fire portion of gunlance's shelling and the endemic life you can find. I think all the blademaster weapons are non elemental.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I stuck with LS and LBG in World because I felt comfortable with them and I felt both weapons had good damage without the sacrifice of mobility. But because I spent so much time with those weapons, I don't want to just play Rise with them again even though I am comfortable with them.
I think mastering a new weapon per game is a sensible way to look at it. I don't think anyone loves all of them, but the variety is great. I remember being amazed at the Greatsword/hammer players when I started out, getting the timing down to punish monsters with them long before the modern games had all kinds of advantages to close the distance. That's why I wanted to learn a heavier weapon as a back up, also it helps when taking on the more armoured enemies.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

daase ko

Oct 26, 2017
You can see monsters from very far when on top of the map, so that's good.
They're finally beginning to do things with exploration and traversal.
The map itself looks more out of an adventure game with temples and houses landmarks.
For a portable iteration, it's more ambitious than the console game in its game design.

Oct 25, 2017
I think mastering a new weapon per game is a sensible way to look at it. I don't anyone loves all of them, but the variety is great. I remember being amazed at the Greatsword/hammer players when I started out, getting the timing down to punish monsters with them long before the modern games had all kinds of advantages to close the distance. That's why I wanted to learn a heavier weapon as a back up, also it helps when taking on the more armoured enemies.

Yeah, been looking into using Hammer or one of the more technical weapons like charge blade or switch axe or insect glaive.

But man, did I pick the wrong game to not main LS. The heavy Japanese aesthetic of Rise is really making me regret that.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
OK, gyro makes projectile weapons fun, but I don't like how I can't use inverted right stick up and down and non inverted gyro up and down.

Hyaku Shiki

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

dwix85

Nov 15, 2017
Pretty much the same godlike way they have felt since MH4U. Aerial attack seems more fluid than before and the extra combos you can pump in when using the demon mode alongside the Wirebug-skills... amazing.

Just tried fighting Mizu for the first time and the beautiful thing sure looked different than it did in MHU. Loved the theme as well.
Had a quick DB question actually. Been enjoying them in the demo but is that aerial attack (can't remember the exact name) where you roll down the spine of the monster something that can be done via wirebug movement/attacks? It specifies that your weapons must be unsheathed but neither of the silkbind attacks launch you into the air so in theory you would need to use the sheathed ZL+X then go into demon mode and then hit X somehow.

I'm assuming I either am missing a key move or its just not possible without a ledge... Hoping to be enlightened

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, people are really up in their feelings about Hunting Horn. Even some on reddit are like "weapon lost its identity".

The weapon is no longer clunky and annoying. If by "identity" you mean no one used it because it was a pain in the ass, then yep, it shed it completely, and is better off for it.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Had a quick DB question actually. Been enjoying them in the demo but is that aerial attack (can't remember the exact name) where you roll down the spine of the monster something that can be done via wirebug movement/attacks? It specifies that your weapons must be unsheathed but neither of the silkbind attacks launch you into the air so in theory you would need to use the sheathed ZL+X then go into demon mode and then hit X somehow.

I'm assuming I either am missing a key move or its just not possible without a ledge... Hoping to be enlightened
I don't think we can do it in the demo unless you find a good ledge. I have been trying lol. There are more silkbind moves but they are not available in the demo.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Obviously need to get back in the flow of things (with the new mechanics, plus I haven't played World since 2018 lol), but it is good to be back to portable MH. <3

Tested out the Hunting Horn first, and now I am trying to decide what other weapons I want to dig into this time.

Posted this when people were asleep, and I'd really like to know if anyone else feels the same way, so I'm gonna bring it back up.

I use the HH as secondary mostly, so it might not be as big for me, but yeah damn, they really simplified it indeed. XD I could see how it might end up being quite shallow, but I do want to mess around with it some more.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Once I get off from work, I'm going to sit down and finally try to learn GS. Y'all got any tips to keep in mind beforehand?

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the minute I got my muscle memory back for IG it became child's play.

I need to actually figure out what's new for the weapon though.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Is this running at 30fps? I did a few quests and enjoyed it so far, but my eyes are already hurting. The visuals seem to be messing with my vision. I think I might wait for pc version to jump in.

Also, any other Switch Axe users having issue switching into blade mode? Like, my bar is filled and I go to switch mid combo and it stops like I have to put a cartridge in, even though it says its already full. Not sure what's going on there? Also, is there any regular mounting like the previous games, or is it soley the new ride mechanic?

codemnk

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah the minute I got my muscle memory back for IG it became child's play.

I need to actually figure out what's new for the weapon though.
I have no clue with regards to insect glaive, but I believe gaijinhunter already has his insect glaive impression video up, I'm fairly sure he'll go over what's new there. He did so for hammer at the very least.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Love that gyro support is in, but there is no way to invert! Unless I am missing something, I poured through every menu and came up empty. You can only invert the right stick. :(

Always something...(this was the same issue with the Jedi Academy port)

Agreed, never was a fan.

dwix85

Nov 15, 2017
I saw you can expand the map to full screen and then hit '-'. Not sure if there is an easier shortcut.
I believe you can set it as one of the shortcuts on the new bar... its the one that uses left/right on dpad to select and up/down to activate. I default it to calling my palamute but "detailed map" is on there I think

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
Once I get off from work, I'm going to sit down and finally try to learn GS. Y'all got any tips to keep in mind beforehand?
Biggest thing with the GS generally is you should have the weapon sheathed the vast majority of the time; usually, when you have a window, you're gonna want to run up to the monster, hit it with your basic attack, and then immediately run away again. Don't worry about charging your attacks fully unless you have a big enough opening to do so.
If you need to do MORE damage when the monster's down, you can pull back on the stick and hold X after your first hit lands to start charging a more damaging slash!
After any X attack, or during a roll, you can press A to do a tackle, which basically gives you superarmour for a second, very good for getting out of attacks if you get blindsided and can't get away quickly enough!

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
finally got this fucker
ErO4Kl-UUAEgccE

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
I'm getting the same problem. Tried deleting and reinstalling but that didn't help.
we have the same thing here - bizarrely it's less a problem in portable mode for me.

My boyfriend plays on tv and the stutters are really bad and very regular like every Five seconds it freezes for a few frames. Putting the dock in wired connection didn't help.

In portable mode it's less noticeable.

I wonder if it's a server / location problem or our internet settings - I'm in France on a (usually) great cable connection

Last edited: