• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah these demos suck at actually introducing new players to the series. Very bad tutorials, usually the full game's tutorials are better.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Loved the intermediate quest.
I did hunt down every monster and nearly failed the quest because my time was running out.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
In the full game there'll be an area where you can eat before starting a quest. It's just not in the demo.
Ah ok I was going mad looking for an area.
There are so many new mechanics in this compared to World is kinda overwhelming.
You can ride monsters with the zip flies and tie them up and probably other things.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Yeah once you start thinking about MH as a fighting game in 3D it helps to click for newbies. There are combos for each weapon that will make you not only do more damage but have more fun if you learn them (since you'll actually hit the monster and not wildly swing at the air). You have to know when to commit to an attack if you are playing a slow weapon too. That's why I like the fighting game analogy.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Beat Arzuros and Great izuchi in like 10 minutes. Will try GS for one or two quests and then try Mizu.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
If anything this to me feels like a game between Monster Hunter 4/Generations and Monster Hunter World. Things like the HUD/UI and general controls feels much closer to MH4 on the 3DS and even MH Tri on Wii U.

Because that is what Rise actually is. It apparently was supposed to be the "backup" in case World failed, Nintendo deal and all.

Demo is about what I expected from the early trailers. Loving the MHP3rd vibes and aesthetics.

I really like the flow and mobility of GS in Rise. Much better than World but still not as satisfying as the old crit draw GS in 2nd and 3rd. LS and CB feel a lot worse than Iceborne. I have no idea why bow feels so bad in Rise, maybe I need more time with it but it feels super sluggish and weak. Gonna test HH, SWAX and DBs next.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The demo felt really good. It seems like they took some of the better MHW features and applied them to what was the logical next step after MH4. I tend to not play MonHun demos a whole lot outside of just seeing the graphics and how the game feels; but so far my reaction to this is much more positive than when I played MHW for the first time. I like the wider open levels with less visual clutter.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I just did my first hunt (well, first I did the basic tutorial and then the Great Izuchi hunt). I don't have the same experience that many others have: despite this being my first time really trying any kind of MH, I found the basic tutorial to be quite clear on the absolute basics (it did tell you which buttons to use for which action, though it left it up to you to experiment with that). I chose the Switch Axe as a weapon. Those Izuchi in the tutorial mission died with 2-3 hits, no opposition whatsoever. Then I went for the Great Izuchi and... it was really doable? I did use some potions and came close to knock-out at one point because I got surprised by one of its moves, but I felt I was in control of the battle for the most part. The moves by the Great Izuchi were quite easy to read, such that after a minute or two I could dodge almost every attack it tried to land on me. The movement is slower than most action-oriented games, and I tried to fight it in the tutorial, but in the battle with the Great Izuchi, I was used to the slower movement and felt quite able to dodge attacks after shifting to this new pace. Keeping the camera on the monster didn't feel like an issue, either, even without auto-centering or whatever. Overall, I felt like I could understand the gameplay well enough to actually play the game. At the end of the battle the thing ran away, but I found it at the side this big Yellow thing, which I somehow could mount. I didn't do the mounting tutorial, so I was just flailing about, pressing X and B with little insight into how things worked. But the Great Izuchi was almost dead, so I only needed to charge 3-4 charges to kill the beast. I finished this hunt in like 13 minutes, not sure if that's considered fast, slow or just decent. I didn't really get to use the Wirebug in the battle, had to struggle with basic controls first lol.

Now for my opinion: I actually loved it! The battle was really fun, and felt like I had to think about my position and when to lay off on the attacks (not doing so nearly got me killed in the hunt, as mentioned above). There seems to be a really nice pacing in combat between being able to land hits and getting out of the way of the monster's attacks. At first I was getting quite a bit of damage, but then I made the tactical decision to move two dodge-lengths back and that really improved my performance. The game also looks really good. I didn't do a lot of exploring in that first hunt (wanted to try my hand at beating the beast for the first try), but the footage going around makes it look like that could be a really fun pastime as well.

So yeah, I'm now more excited for the game than I was before playing the demo, which is what they want of course! I think I will enjoy it a lot come March.

Last edited:

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, I forgot how fun the Insect Glaive is... I think I need to reinstall Monster Hunter: World. This demo is great.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Eating on the hunt
~ World lets you eat/cook before every hunt, either in the hubs OR next to your camp, I don't seem to be able to do this at all in Rise. These meals would give you benefits for the hunt.
/SPOILER]
There's a "eat a meal" option when you enter your camp but it's disabled for the demo.

Also there's a lot of items in there, don't forget to restock.

My biggest gripe so far is the target camera. A lot of the time it seems to barely work.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Its going to be hard to go from 60fps on my PC to 30fps on the Switch but overall I am very impressed how well it looks and runs on the portable screen.
I hope it holds up in multiplayer.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For the first 30 minutes or so it's always a struggle relearning the controls after not playing for like 4 years but in the end... This game feels amazing. The wire bug is so fun to use and zip around. Having the temporary three wire bugs is so OP, I love it.

Only tried the hammer so far, my previous main weapon. Love the new silkbind skills.

My recommendations to newcomers is just enter that basic training quest, follow the instructions until the end. Re-enter the quest and then just run around and explore. You can find all the information in the menu regarding controls and the combos for each weapon. Practice using your weapon on the random mobs. Practice using your different combats and learn the pacing of your weapon. Practice using the wire bug to climb all the mountains. Practice the new silkbind attacks. And then once you're used to the controls and your weapon. Try the beginner quest.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
I feel like my general opinion is somewhat more negative than most others in here but let me explain.

The game looks great, it has to be one of the better looking Switch games. The IQ in general is just great. Monsters feel alive and have multiple materials showing scales, fur...etc. They look great.

The gameplay is still that classic Monster Hunter gameplay with heavy attacks, long rolls and wind up times... which I love! Game sounds great too. The Wirebug seems to be a great addition as well, lots of aerial movement now... it doesn't seem to work like the grapple in World so I can't just (Clutch Claw) attach to the monster and attack but still a great new way to move around the levels and get above the monsters in hunts.

This all been said, I feel like this is a regression from a lot of the quality of life, mechanics and just moment to moment feel of the game from Monster Hunter World. If anything this to me feels like a game between Monster Hunter 4/Generations and Monster Hunter World. Things like the HUD/UI and general controls feels much closer to MH4 on the 3DS and even MH Tri on Wii U. It feels less like the "next step" like World was and more like a side step or a step back in a lot of ways to me. I loved MH4 and Tri so I'm not upset, it just feels like this would have been the natural progression after those games and not after World which felt like such a leap forward for me as a Monster Hunter fan.

I think I'm also spoiled somewhat as I've literally been replaying MH World these past few weeks, on PC no less - at 4K 60fps. I have that immediate comparison and one thing I'm happy about the Rise demo is... OTHER PEOPLE TO PLAY WITH! It was very tough to find people playing the earlier content when I was levelling a new hunter in World recently, I would SOS Flare and get no response for most things until the later Iceborne quests. Do we know if SOS Flares are making a comeback in Rise?

Like I said at the start of this post, I feel like I'm a little more negative than some others on here but overall I am enjoying the demo and the new features. I also can't really quite put my finger on what is 'missing' so to say, but it just feels lacking in some areas when coming right off of playing World. It also reminds me a lot of Tri/4/Gen which is a good thing because I loved those games.

Things I think that are missing:
- Eating on the hunt
~ World lets you eat/cook before every hunt, either in the hubs OR next to your camp, I don't seem to be able to do this at all in Rise. These meals would give you benefits for the hunt.
- Armor gets more color
~ This is purely personal opinion, but the armor in Rise seems much more cartoonish and colorful than the more realistic/desaturated tones of World. This probably fits the aesthetic of Rise better but some of the armors come across as garish or futuristic (Tron-like) rather than being made from Monster carvings. Don't get me wrong, some still look great, but from the selection we can see in the demo it doesn't fill me with confidence for the Fashion in Rise.
- No longer Clutch
~ The Clutch Claw in Monster Hunter World (added in Iceborne) felt like something that would become a staple in the series like Palico buddies have now but its missing from Rise and I miss it, and the ability to direct monsters to do damage. I guess this was removed/replaced with Monster Riding but that comes with its own set of awesome befits and disappointments.
Honestly I'm glad the clutch claw is gone, it was far to exploitable in World and the mounting system was also exploitable in World in Rise it's still there as a nice change of pace in the fight with the whole controlling the monster but it's no long exploitable as, in the demo so far, can only be done one or twice at most during fights.

as for eating, it's a demo, a lot of the features are not in. We dont know if you can or cant eat during hunts. Could be that eating buffs are permanent during the whole the hunt even if you die.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I hope I can still run a Heavy Bowgun with a shield and spread ammo in the full game.
Walking run being a artillery tank was top stuff.

I do really miss the scoutflies pointing useful things out though.
And is there no more tracking the monster?

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe how good the game looks.
I loved world, but this one already feels like becoming my new favourite!

Also maybe later today some people want to join me to do a 4 player hunt?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a demo quest with
Magnamalo
is either planned or has been scrapped going by demo data (haven't verified it myself, but trustworthy source)

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
I skipped World, so this is my first MH since 4U/MHGU and I generally like a lot of the new additions. The stuff from MHW (open map is +++++) and the new Rise stuff (grapple bug is fun but riding/mounting is weird? I couldn't quite figure out how to raise meter with it) especially the DOGS! It feels like a huge step up from those games but I'm sure World players probably don't feel the same as me. Def. looking forward to the full game with progression and learning the nuances of the new UI cuz there seems to be a lot of it.

If the Switch Axe still has an infinite sword mode stationary vertical combo I couldn't figure out how to do it. If they got rid of that, that's gonna be big sads from ole LiQuid! cuz that move was responsible for so many chopped tails

Gala

Oct 25, 2017
Bowgun feels a lot like MHW, which is good. Still like it really much. But holy shit is Hunting Horn fun. The weapon feels crazy now. So dynamic and mobile. I love it.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
This really will be my favourite MH and I play these games since when Freedom came out on the psp. I love all the changes they made, the gameplay loop is so tight and fun, Capcom is a beast with the hardware

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
Overall Impressions are positive...and it's running well. Looks fantastic. I kept thinking this couldn't be for the switch/switch lite...

Pre-ordering now.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Because that is what Rise actually is. It apparently was supposed to be the "backup" in case World failed, Nintendo deal and all.

Demo is about what I expected from the early trailers. Loving the MHP3rd vibes and aesthetics.

I really like the flow and mobility of GS in Rise. Much better than World but still not as satisfying as the old crit draw GS in 2nd and 3rd. LS and CB feel a lot worse than Iceborne. I have no idea why bow feels so bad in Rise, maybe I need more time with it but it feels super sluggish and weak. Gonna test HH, SWAX and DBs next.
That's actually really cool to hear! I'm also glad World didn't bomb and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a World 2 sometime soon.
There's a "eat a meal" option when you enter your camp but it's disabled for the demo.

Also there's a lot of items in there, don't forget to restock.

My biggest gripe so far is the target camera. A lot of the time it seems to barely work.
Ah so it's likely just a demo thing, that's good to hear! Hoping to get back on munching meals before hunts in the full game then.
Honestly I'm glad the clutch claw is gone, it was far to exploitable in World and the mounting system was also exploitable in World in Rise it's still there as a nice change of pace in the fight with the whole controlling the monster but it's no long exploitable as, in the demo so far, can only be done one or twice at most during fights.

as for eating, it's a demo, a lot of the features are not in. We dont know if you can or cant eat during hunts. Could be that eating buffs are permanent during the whole the hunt even if you die.
That's fair enough. I think the Wirebug is a good addition/replacement for both the Clutch Claw and general world traversal grapple from World. I think my favorite thing about the Wirebug is being able to do it where ever you want. It's super freeing to be able to just use it to climb and traverse where ever you want.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
How on earth do you do silkbind techniques with the bow?
I can get my hand to glow then I dont know.

Pastel Melon

Jan 2, 2020
Germany
Is my switch broken or am I dumb? I don't seem to be able to sprint (Analog stick + R?)? I also can't use the sticks in menus... is that normal?

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Slow Kinsect is such suffering
Can't believe after all these years kinsect stats are still a thing. How have they not gotten rid of this yet? Even tho it's one of my favorite weapons to fight with, I find it impossible to do progression with an IG in this game cause slow kinsect is pain. It's the only weapon in the game (afaik) that plays functionally different when you start the game as opposed to late game once you have materials farmed for it... I get the idea of wanting to "grow together" with your kinsect like you're raising a pokemon or something, but it's still dumb and can be 100% mitigated by just waiting until late game to build an IG. What an anti-fun design

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I skipped World, so this is my first MH since 4U/MHGU and I generally like a lot of the new additions. The stuff from MHW (open map is +++++) and the new Rise stuff (grapple bug is fun but riding/mounting is weird? I couldn't quite figure out how to raise meter with it) especially the DOGS! It feels like a huge step up from those games but I'm sure World players probably don't feel the same as me. Def. looking forward to the full game with progression and learning the nuances of the new UI cuz there seems to be a lot of it.

If the Switch Axe still has an infinite sword mode stationary vertical combo I couldn't figure out how to do it. If they got rid of that, that's gonna be big sads from ole LiQuid! cuz that move was responsible for so many chopped tails

Huge MHW/Iceborn fan here, World was amazing but it also was a couple steps forward and a couple back. Rise might not be a step up in graphics or performance but it's a real evolution from Both world and 4U/Generations.

Can't wait to pump thousands of hours in to it.

Yeah once you start thinking about MH as a fighting game in 3D it helps to click for newbies. There are combos for each weapon that will make you not only do more damage but have more fun if you learn them (since you'll actually hit the monster and not wildly swing at the air). You have to know when to commit to an attack if you are playing a slow weapon too. That's why I like the fighting game analogy.

I always compare Monster Hunter with Punch Out. It's all about tells, dodging and openings, the field is the ring. Play it long enough and moving out of the way and positioning becomes second nature.

Last edited:

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Just got my ass handed to me by Mizutsune. Reminded that I've always been absolutely terrible at MH. Lol.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dayum! I only did the beginner tutorial last night, but I was immediately taken by how the wirebug could change combat. Can't wait to do some hunting missions today to try that out with my good buddy the Great Sword.

GS with wirebug felt great too. It really awesome when you can dodge properly with GS .

Shaoran Hyku

Aug 6, 2020
After being main Charge Blade in MH4, MHGen and MHW, I was thinking about choosing another weapon.
For better or for worse, they destroyed the charge blade so... Hunting Horn, here we go!

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Managed to do Mizutsune solo on the first try which felt great since I don't think I was ever very good in World. LS felt pretty good.

Gameplay feels good, but not great. I feel like I might have enjoyed World's overall gamefeel a bit more, though it's been a while since I played it so I can't say for sure. I love the wire bugs and the dog you can ride around, though. I definitely also prefer the simpler, less busy visuals of Rise when compared to World.

I might give some of the other weapons and maybe online play a try, but then again, maybe not. I have other games to play right now and I'm getting this day one on the PC anyway.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I was a IG and CB main in MHGU in addition to LS. LS in Rise clicked again with me and feels amazing.

CB on the other hand...there's so many extra movement, it's hard getting use to this lol. I don't know if I'll main it...

As for IG, what the hell, how do you control this lmao.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else having trouble downloading? It says it begins, but nothing on home screen, and it reappears in the shop like I never clicked it.

Mine did not show up at all during the downloading process. Even the icon with the progress bar. It just showed up completely downloaded and ready to play in about an hour after I requested the DL. Something strange with this one for sure. I've never seen that behavior before.

Mrfb17

Senior Designer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, United Kingdom
God damn Mitsuzune is no joke solo in this demo, he game over'ed me and I had 10 minutes left on the clock. Tried him with hunting horn and getting close to him was tricky and sometimes hard to see what was going on.

Is mounting still in this game, like the normal stabbing mounting? I tried wirebugging on to him but didn't get a single normal mount.
No 'normal' mounting in Rise anymore it seems. Just the new wyvern riding mechanics

Janus

Oct 18, 2020
After being main Charge Blade in MH4, MHGen and MHW, I was thinking about choosing another weapon.
For better or for worse, they destroyed the charge blade so... Hunting Horn, here we go!

What did they change with the Charge Blade that "destroyed" the weapon for you? I'm a CB main and now I'm a bit concerned.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Oooof..
That frame rate is not 30 even it seems?
I tried to load up the first quest but turning the camera made me really queesy so I had to turn it off after a few minutes :(
How are the other stages?

Edit: I'll give it a go in handheld, maybe the big TV is causing it.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
Managed to do Mizutsune solo on the first try which felt great since I don't think I was ever very good in World. LS felt pretty good.

Gameplay feels good, but not great. I feel like I might have enjoyed World's overall gamefeel a bit more, though it's been a while since I played it so I can't say for sure. I love the wire bugs and the dog you can ride around, though. I definitely also prefer the simpler, less busy visuals of Rise when compared to World.

I might give some of the other weapons and maybe online play a try, but then again, maybe not. I have other games to play right now and I'm getting this day one on the PC anyway.

As much as I loved MHW, I absolutely agree about the visuals being too "busy". Rise feels kind of perfect in that regard so I'm really happy about that. I hope the new console MH game takes some lessons there.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Game runs pretty well(handheld) and some of the graphics effects really suit the current style. Going to be interesting how they balance the increased movement abilities, you can straight up move huge distances while in the air with certain weapons. That negates a lot of the breath attacks, fire patches from past games.

Andsello

Jul 31, 2020
Gosh, any advice on which weapon is better for a noob like me? I just got brutally kicked by Misutsune, I tried the hammer and the great sword but it is too fast and I can't attack it without getting damaged

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
Mizutsune's HP is obscene, I got it to an area that felt like it's the final place it retreats to, but I got unlucky and got stuck in its periphery with health running out. But it was a very intense 40 minutes or so. But I am pretty positive i will get there. MH buffs, is it possible to beat all three beasts in that mission in one go? Just curious.

I am itching now to buy World as cheap as possible before Rise comes out. I am loving this demo.