• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
First hunt (don't tell my boss!) during working hours :3

F'ing loved it, game runs super smooth and the graphics and sound are top tier.

New hunting horn move for using all the songs is a banger to use too.
Can't wait till I can play more tonight!!!!

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Phew, the game doesn't look great on my TV between the shimmering and strange brightness/white balance and the lower framerate and resolution, kinda making my eyes and head hurt a bit. Yeah, definitely waiting for the PC port.

Game itself seems like good fun, though. I'll probably try and tweak my settings a bit and do a few more hunts later today. Looking forward to giving some weapons a try I never even touched in World, like HH and the ranged ones.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Great to see so many good impressions. MH must be the only series where Capcom never drops the ball

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
HH feels like fucking shit. why didn't they just keep HH from GU? autoplaying songs, really bro. AX during a combo used to be the stepback as long as you don't tilt the control stick now it's always the superpound.

lance feels fine. shoulda kept the stronger multihit thrust during counters and the final thrust after charging tho

i'm gonna play more but i can't wait to see how else they fucked up GS, hammer, and switch axe 🤣

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Completely new to the series. Tried World once on release, didn't really...get it, I guess. Tried this, got destroyed on the intermediate hunt. Is this series newbie friendly? Or should I see if one of my friends is willing to play World with me? I booted World back up and had zero idea what to do. Just kinda ran around the hub and one of the hunt areas aimlessly before shutting it off.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
My god, the first hunt with the Great Izuchi was amazing, I love basically all the new feature. I tried the long sword that I skipped in world and it rules. I'm so glad, this potentially can be my favourite MH game to date, can't wait to try Mizutzune

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
HH feels like fucking shit. why didn't they just keep HH from GU? autoplaying songs, really bro. AX during a combo used to be the stepback as long as you don't tilt the control stick now it's always the superpound.

Yeah came to post this. HH has been my main for like ... 3 games now? 4? I don't remember. But this changes the feel way too much. May switch off. Wife will probably be not super happy about me dumping it lol...

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The hitting effect is really satisfying now damn, love everything so far.

Also really hoping for a switch pro soon with 4k support because its really rough on a 55 inch 4K TV.

Luckily it still Plays and Looks fine on my pc monitor.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
ok so I only played old Monster Hunter games not world, and could never get into the series as I mentioned earlier

but just slayed great Izuchi and this is best controlling Monster Hunter I played. The wirebug is so much fun.The only thing that feels old Monster Hunter clumsy is climbing ledges with the dog.

Harmony

Dec 1, 2019
Japan
Completely new to the series. Tried World once on release, didn't really...get it, I guess. Tried this, got destroyed on the intermediate hunt. Is this series newbie friendly? Or should I see if one of my friends is willing to play World with me? I booted World back up and had zero idea what to do. Just kinda ran around the hub and one of the hunt areas aimlessly before shutting it off.
It's more newbie friendly than before, yeah.
Have you finished all your assignment quests? I reckon playing through the story might help you get your bearings

valinthyne

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Glaive feels real good with the wirebug. Its basically stamina free air dashing. I was already probably getting the game but I am fully sold now.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Luckily it still Plays and Looks fine on my pc monitor.

I should probably connect the dock to my monitor, too. I have a 55" 4k TV too and.. Yeah, some of these Switch games are not pleasant on it.

Shame my monitor only has one HDMI port, though. Frigging 800 euros or something and just one DP and one HDMI lol.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018

World should have told you what quests to do, it guides people pretty well imo.

This is more like the old games where you have a solo campaign and online campaign to go through.
After ranking up, you get to the endgame where you farm sets/better weapons and upgrades in the form of gems.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope Digital Foundry covers the demo. They finally have something interesting on switch to cover

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Spent some time exploring the map in the tutorial, game is much more enjoyable when you get the wirebug muscle memory down.
Wish it had some weapon tutorials though, I only played a handful of weapons in World so I'm not sure how to even do most of the attacks on some of these.

Harmony

Dec 1, 2019
Japan
Spent some time exploring the map in the tutorial, game is much more enjoyable when you get the wirebug muscle memory down.
Wish it had some weapon tutorials though, I only played a handful of weapons in World so I'm not sure how to even do most of the attacks on some of these.

There's a small movelist available for each weapon in the Hunter's Notes accessible via the Start Menu.
It's not comprehensive, but it at least has some basic combo strings to help get the ball rolling

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Playing in handheld and this is by far the best looking game on the console.

Capcom getting more out of the Switch than Nintendo

RE engine is a beast

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mizutsune is making me feel bad at the game :/ took almost all my healing potions to kill him solo.

Need to do the tutorial because I have no idea how to use the wirebug with longsword. Was only able to do helmbreaker once.

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
Sword and shield feels great. Not a big fan of lance so far.
Anyone have any tips on hitting with the great sword aerial bug air attack?

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
Holy fucking shit you can roll cancel the wirebug jumps mid air, both of them and in any direction. Movement in this game is so broken.

Also, old item descriptions seems to be back, as far as I can tell right now. Very nice surprise.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Did you do the tutorial missions or did you go to the intermediate hunt right away? MH demos are knows to overall be very tough and newbie unfriendly (don't be fooled by the word intermediate). This is not reflective of the game. In the game by the time you get to a tough hunt, while it will still not be easy you will be ready for it.

Last edited:

Laguna

Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
Pre-ordered. Amazing, it's like a portable/lighter version of Worlds and this is what I was looking for. People who complained about World being more casual, I guess will not be happy with this one, as mounting monsters makes much easier the game, but for me it's very funny and spectacular.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok imma need help on this, feels like I don't even have half the moveset I had on World with Long sword but i know i'm prob just missing something.
EDIT: nvm it suddenly clicked!

Last edited:

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Handheld is stunning, it's on the same level of Astral Chain and that's saying a lot

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't realize there's a separate online and offline campaign. Do you have a shared character (gear, items, resources, etc.) between online and offline campaigns and can you go through the online campaign from beginning to end with matchmade randoms?

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
If you select a monster by clicking in the right stick, you can recenter the camera on it by pressing the L button. Super helpful for when it runs off screen

oooooooooo that makes a lot more sense. I was holding L and I'm like what is this doing besides blowing up the map (because I saw the prompt that said L to focus)

Thank you!