• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This is a bit of a silly take if you ask me. The PS4 version of Monster Hunter: World sold over 2.5 million copies in Japan alone, and over 4 million worldwide. The PC version sold 2.3 million worldwide. If they're considering sales, it wouldn't make sense not to release it on other platforms.

Well the logic is simple. Capcom no doubt thinks that the Switch can help meet their sales expectations for this entry, but not in Asia where consoles just aren't as popular. And so the PC version mitigates that in a way the PS4 and Xbox wouldn't.

In Japan the game will far exceed the PS4 sales on Switch, and it has a good chance of doing extremely well in NA and EU on the Switch as well.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This is a bit of a silly take if you ask me. The PS4 version of Monster Hunter: World sold over 2.5 million copies in Japan alone, and over 4 million worldwide. The PC version sold 2.3 million worldwide. If they're considering sales, it wouldn't make sense not to release it on other platforms.
As an exclusive in the PS4 prime years - how much would Rise sell now as a title developed with Switch in mind that has Nintendo exclusive marketing, looks "worse" and probably would have launched first on Switch either way ? It wouldnt come anywhere close to MHW numbers - which is the reason why Capcom is waiting for the big next-gen return with MHW2/VI to satisfy the demand on these plattforms again.

MH games also sold millions on portables before yet MHW wasnt developed with or for the portable market in mind.
Not saying multiplattform wouldnt make sense in general but MHR on PS4 wouldnt be able to perform nearly as well as MHW did - where the whole rollout and marketing was developed around it being a exclusive in Japan.

Either way...sry for keeping this topic up, i dont think its necessary to go back and forth on this in the demo thread.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so when the shoe is on the other foot, Sony console owners don't like being denied access to a game that should be available on all platforms? This is why those of us who don't own PS4s dislike Sony's obsession with exclusivity contracts. Regardless, this is how the industry works right now, for better or worse.

edit - to be super clear here, I disagree with exclusivity contracts unless they were required to fund a game being made in the first place. But I still disagree with permanent exclusivity.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Well the logic is simple. Capcom no doubt thinks that the Switch can help meet their sales expectations for this entry, but not in Asia where consoles just aren't as popular. And so the PC version mitigates that in a way the PS4 and Xbox wouldn't.

In Japan the game will far exceed the PS4 sales on Switch, and it has a good chance of doing extremely well in NA and EU on the Switch as well.
This seemed obvious to me.

And not specific to Rise but there are plenty countries/regions where PC gaming is comparatively big while very few people have consoles. There's a reason why everything under the sun seems to be heading to PC.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So a max of 50 minutes per hunt times 30 quests means we get ~25 hours of active game time with the demo, shorter if you're good at killin' monsties. Or more if you're extending your time in training. Interesting.

Wait what if they decrease the hunt times to 30 minutes for certain monsters, or what if there are other monsters to hunt in the demo besides the ones listed?

...gonna have to min-max my demo sessions...

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
As someone that got started on PSP, played MH Tri on Wii, played MHP3rd again on PSP, got a 3DS and Wii U *for* Monster Hunter...

C'mon folks. The series isn't "owned" by any one platform.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
So, it'll unlock/go live in roughly 11 hours after all, yeah? ~ 8am GMT/UTC.

According to the tweet, they will release the demo after the introduction gameplay video on January 8, 8am JST. That's in about two hours actually. However, when that wille, they didn't mention. it can be an hour later, it can also be 5 hours later.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if there will be hidden monsters to fight in the quests, like how you could fight Diablos and Rathalos in the MHW Beta if you went out of your way on the off-beaten track to try and fight them.

Beastie91

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Bay Area CA
I have never wanted to get into a Monster Hunter game so bad as this one I will dedicate my self to learning some of the basics today

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone that got started on PSP, played MH Tri on Wii, played MHP3rd again on PSP, got a 3DS and Wii U *for* Monster Hunter...

C'mon folks. The series isn't "owned" by any one platform.
MH is just a dirty dirty franchise that loves to get passed around XD

As someone with a long commute to work I am looking forward to playing this on the train. I don't understand Capcoms thinking in hopping around platforms all the time. Just release them for everything.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so when the shoe is on the other foot, Sony console owners don't like being denied access to a game that should be available on all platforms? This is why those of us who don't own PS4s dislike Sony's obsession with exclusivity contracts. Regardless, this is how the industry works right now, for better or worse.

edit - to be super clear here, I disagree with exclusivity contracts unless they were required to fund a game being made in the first place. But I still disagree with permanent exclusivity.

preach

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter Rise is ALSO being kept off of XBOX. But there's no real point in having this discussion as we know the circumstances.

There's just no reason to be happy when your own platform gets an exclusive if you're also going to be mad when it doesn't. And that goes in both directions.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
WHERE ARE MY HAMMER BROS?!?!?!

tumblr_oafby97v2X1ssr51lo2_400.gif

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
There's just no reason to be happy when your own platform gets an exclusive if you're also going to be mad when it doesn't. And that goes in both directions.
Absolutely.
With MH being my favourite third party IP in the whole industry, I hate how it's being used as a tool for console warriors and bitching about other platforms.
Just let all of them have good MH games, be it multi-plat on every single one or dedicated versions for different platforms, like with the portable and home console entries.
So long as people get to play these wonderful games the way they want to play them, be it on the big TV, a handheld, PC... It's all good.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely.
With MH being my favourite third party IP in the whole industry, I hate how it's being used as a tool for console warriors and bitching about other platforms.
Just let all of them have good MH games, be it multi-plat on every single one or dedicated versions for different platforms, like with the portable and home console entries.
So long as people get to play these wonderful games the way they want to play them, be it on the big TV, a handheld, PC... It's all good.

Fortunately it looks like PC may be the platform that only has to deal with with delayed releases, but should be getting every MH going forward... that's some sort of compromise I guess.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Fortunately it looks like PC may be the platform that only has to deal with with delayed releases, but should be getting every MH going forward... that's some sort of compromise I guess.
Which is great for preservation's sake already. And all the options PC gaming inherently offers, so basically win-win.