• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Nintendo paid for console exclusivity of MH Rise, plain & simple.

The leak says the complete opposite, the game was never intended to be on PS4/XBO.

Nintendo's proposal was to help with development costs (10m dollars) and some other marketing budget (up to 6m dollars) in exchange for a delay of the PC version, a proposal Capcom clearly accepted.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The leak says the complete opposite, the game was never intended to be on PS4/XBO.

Nintendo's proposal was to help with development costs (10m dollars) and some other marketing budget (up to 6m dollars) in exchange for a delay of the PC version, a proposal Capcom clearly accepted.
Oh, I thought that's what it said. My bad.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
A treasure trove of Capcom internal documents got leaked.
Including the amount Nintendo paid to make it console exclusive, or at least to delay the time of the PC version.
This is how misinformation is spread.
Including the amount Nintendo paid to make it console exclusive - NO
to delay the time of the PC version - YES, and I am not even sure it was exactly that, I think it was actually just for delaying the announcement

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yep. that misinformation is now out there and nothing can change that. there's nothing that indicates nintendo paid capcom to stop the game from coming to other consoles, but people will run with that for years.

it's more likely that capcom just wanted two MH lines to be separate (you know, same way they've done it since ps2/psp days).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I'd sort of expect Nintendo helped incentivize console exclusivity and the PC delay window. But then I'd say Sony did the same for World with regional exclusivity and it's own delayed PC window (twice with Iceborne).

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
People need to understand, according to the leaks, Nintendo paid sum amount of money to Capcom to delay the PC ANNOUNCEMENT, not the release date. Furthermore, this is developed by the portable team, this was always intended for the Switch and was never planned for other home consoles.

MH6/Next gen MH is planned for 2023 or beyond.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
People need to understand, according to the leaks, Nintendo paid sum amount of money to Capcom to delay the PC ANNOUNCEMENT, not the release date. Furthermore, this is developed by the portable team, this was always intended for the Switch and was never planned for other home consoles.

MH6/Next gen MH is planned for 2023 or beyond.
That's probably what I got mixed up. Thanks for clarifying.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm still not clear: will this game play more like World or more like older MH games? I enjoyed World and it's modern conveniences but have a tough time with the older titles.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not clear: will this game play more like World or more like older MH games? I enjoyed World and it's modern conveniences but have a tough time with the older titles.
they play the same anyway, just one doesn't have segmented areas. Rise has a lot of things from Generations in addition to World

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Feel free to add me if you wanna hunt later on today

SW-5032-7242-6930

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of bummed that we don't get a cool demo of something like Valstrax like we got with the GU demo

Jul 3, 2019
The irony of folks complaining about this not coming to XBO or PS4 when people were making fun of folks asking for World to come to Switch. Clowns.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
I've been wanting to jump into this series for a long time. Can't wait to try the demo, the game looks amazing! \o/

Jun 2, 2019
Just in time for the weekend.

The use limit is bullshit, and i can't believer we're still seeing it. I'll have to make sure to enjoy each playthrough

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
SW-5454-9060-3048 is my Switch code thingy

Dutchie though so I'll not be on till Friday evening

Hunting Horn goes doooot

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
So we're sure it's late tonight?

That kinda sucks - I blocked an hour this afternoon to tinker. Won't have a chance to play until Saturday now :(

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is probably the best looking Switch game. I'm still surprised this is running on a Switch, initially I thought this was probably being shown on a Switch Pro.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason this game is coming to PC is because of how well World did in Asia on the platform, where consoles aren't as popular. It makes sense.

This is a bit of a silly take if you ask me. The PS4 version of Monster Hunter: World sold over 2.5 million copies in Japan alone, and over 4 million worldwide. The PC version sold 2.3 million worldwide. If they're considering sales, it wouldn't make sense not to release it on other platforms.

Edit: Monster Hunter: World did 8,692,000 on PS4 and 5,953,000 on PC, with 3,184,000 sales being on PS4 in Japan. Cited Iceborne numbers initially by mistake.

Yeah, after world sold 15 million copies, Nintendo bought exclusivity for $6m or whatever it was, sure.

No, Capcom merely want to also continue to tap into the portable market.

Yes, Nintendo paying $6 million for exclusivity doesn't make a lot of sense. If we assume a PS4 version of Rise sells even half as much as World did in Japan, Capcom would have already earned 16 times what Nintendo paid.

As for Capcom simply wanting to tap into the portable market, the problem with this take is there isn't anything exclusively portable about this game (except maybe local wireless play, but you can say that for any Switch game with multiplayer). Especially if there are plans for a PC version, I don't see why they wouldn't throw it onto the other consoles eventually as well. Unless there is some sort of exclusivity deal in place. But again, that $6 million number just doesn't add up if that's the case.

---

In any case, looking forward to the demo tonight. Reminds me I need to finish up World soon. Now might actually be a good time to do so with the Rise demo coming out as it'll be interesting to see how different each game feels. Wyvern Riding looks lit.

Last edited: